Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Steelers at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If you ever listened to DD tell the story about how he "shut down" MJ...which was told often about 15-20 years ago when it was relevant, was that he had a choice to play off of MJ and let him shoot, or play close and risk MJ driving around him.  DD wasn't good enough to do both, so he had to choose one over the other.

He chose to play off and limit MJ's driving, forcing him to shoot, and MJ had an off night shooting so he didn't score his average.

That's DD's version that nobody even cares about now, 30 years later.

Also when MJ drove there was the 7'2 red head lmao 

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

DD sagged off of MJ, and MJ didn't score as much as you'd expect.

So the tape supports his version.  Nice to know.  

I'm not a big IU/ or basketball guy.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also when MJ drove there was the 7'2 red head lmao 

Maybe because DD was playing off so far. LOL.  But it was probably still the same help-side Man.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So the tape supports his version.  Nice to know.  

I'm not a big IU/ or basketball guy.

Maybe because DD was playing off so far. LOL.  But it was probably still the same help-side Man.

Yeah it was the classic IU man to man D.  

I don't know where you are from or how old you are, but us kids down here in the Dirty South of this glorious state, all knew how to play the Knight defense.   We'd play that way on the playground and almost everyone played the rudiments of Knights motion offense down here too.  Our youth coaches would coach it, but it was kinda the only way to play in souther Indiana.

Only our old broken down Dad's played zone in the church leagues lol. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One of my favorite games of all-time. We played Jordan wonderfully. It was a combo though, Blab was like Mark Eaton in the paint.

You say combo.  DD has never said it was a zone defense.  He acknowledges sagging off as a tactic.

Whether or not Blab stayed in the paint when MJ drove is for the basketball X's and O guys to debate whether or not it was zone or man.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Yeah it was the classic IU man to man D.  

I don't know where you are from or how old you are, but us kids down here in the Dirty South of this glorious state, all knew how to play the Knight defense.   We'd play that way on the playground and almost everyone played the rudiments of Knights motion offense down here too.  Our youth coaches would coach it, but it was kinda the only way to play in souther Indiana.

Only our old broken down Dad's played zone in the church leagues lol. 

I understand.  I've been around native Hoosiers my entire adult life.  Every kid of that era knows how Knight approached the game.

I remember watching that game as 13  year old on my small screen TV at 10 at night when Alford was just a Freshman on a school night. Might be the best IU game I ever watched. Only the Smarts game winner to win it tops that one  in 1987 against the Cuse. The 81 team was my baby though The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- Isiah and Tolbert rules. I know Tolbert personally - he is a hell of a guy. When I worked out at Bally's I used to call him Worthy - he would smile like the gentle he is - he knew the joke, James Worthy played for the Lakers. Tolbert used to jam like he did.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I understand.  I've been around native Hoosiers my entire adult life.  Every kid of that era knows how Knight approached the game.

It's hard to understate how popular Knight was here in the 70s and 80s.  Would have been elected governor in a landslide.

That was just the way the game was played to us. 

2006, I was 12 in 6th grade and really not into IU basketball or the NCAA tourney yet.  So I don't know that I even saw that game when it came out.  

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's hard to understate how popular Knight was here in the 70s and 80s.  Would have been elected governor in a landslide.

That was just the way the game was played to us. 

2006, I was 12 in 6th grade and really not into IU basketball or the NCAA tourney yet.  So I don't know that I even saw that game when it came out.  

When DD used to tell the story about 15 to 20 years ago, he did so reluctantly.  There was sort of this narrative created by hard core IU Knight fans that said that DD "shut down" MJ.  These are the old timers who thought Larry Bird was the best BB player of all time and guys like MJ were just flashy players with no substance...so they saw it as a guy like DD shutting down MJ.

DD knew better and sort of chuckled and pushed back on that "he shut down" narrative and explain what happened.  He/Knight chose to sag and MJ obliged by having an off night shooting. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

When DD used to tell the story about 15 to 20 years ago, he did so reluctantly.  There was sort of this narrative created by hard core IU Knight fans that said that DD "shut down" MJ.  These are the old timers who thought Larry Bird was the best BB player of all time and guys like MJ were just flashy players with no substance...so they saw it as a guy like DD shutting down MJ.

DD knew better and sort of chuckled and pushed back on that "he shut down" narrative and explain what happened.  He/Knight chose to sag and MJ obliged by having an off night shooting. 

That’s how I understood it.  

The first I remember being cognizant of DD must have been 18 or 19 and going to the VP in early 90s and sitting on the bench reserved for him.

DD wasn’t as widely known then as he is now.  

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Pure agenda driven hogwash on your part East.

1.  What does that matter?  Didn't we "fight" back and tie 1 game and win v. KC, Jax, and Den in the 4Q?  Baseless Drivel on your part.  Agenda driven nonsense. 

2.  Who cares?  We had one of the worst halfs possible on offense Sunday.  Last year, we had one of if not the best opening drive record in FB, yet I don't recall East praising Reich's scripts once again, Baseless Drivel on your part.  Agenda driven nonsense. 

3.  See #2 response.  

4.  Good God East.  We don't throw the ball down the field anymore of course we are going to have less.  Did you watch Sunday BTW, plenty of interception worthy throws.  Bottom line, Indy averaged more points with Ryan at QB under Reich than they do with Ryan at QB under Saturday.  (Edit: calculated that wrong.  We have average a little more the last 3 weeks, with the 'extra' TD v. Vegas lol)

5.  JT scored 22 I think TDs last year under Frank Reich.

There is no dancing, just calling out the obvious agenda driven drivel on your part.

I know you don't look at this offense we've been seeing and say man we are way better than we were lol.   You are lying if you say you are.  We look EXACTLY the same to me except we take less shots down the field.   We run up the middle, we pass shallow. 

I figured I'd see "who cares", and "last year", etc. from you... 

I was right lol...

So you've ignored 5 obvious trends we've seen since Frank left.

Hadn't scored opening drive TD since last Christmas... check.. 

Starting the 4Q with the lead... check, 3 times... 

TDs in the 1Q... check twice... 

3 TDs from JT in the last 3 games... 1 TD with Frank....

1 INT from Ryan in the last 3 games... 9 INTs with Frank (only 7 games)... 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I figured I'd see "who cares", and "last year", etc. from you... 

I was right lol...

So you've ignored 5 obvious trends we've seen since Frank left.

Hadn't scored opening drive TD since last Christmas... check.. 

Starting the 4Q with the lead... check, 3 times... 

TDs in the 1Q... check twice... 

3 TDs from JT in the last 3 games... 1 TD with Frank....

1 INT from Ryan in the last 3 games... 9 INTs with Frank (only 7 games)... 

giphy.gif

You're calling someone blind because they see meaningful facts other than the narrow cherry picked and almost meaningless stats you demand they talk about exclusively?  That's borderline psycho, man.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

You're calling someone blind because they see meaningful facts other than the narrow cherry picked and almost meaningless stats you demand they talk about exclusively?  That's borderline psycho, man.

Narrow?... lol... 

Ryan's INTs... narrow? JT's TDs.... narrow? 1Q and 4Q stats, narrow??? Opening scripts... ? Narrow???

bahahahahaha... People harped over those things while Frank was here... 

Your girlfriend doesn't need a rescue.... 

On 11/29/2022 at 1:31 PM, Nickster said:

Dan Dakich shut down Jordan and had bench reserved for him at the VP across from Memorial Stadium for a few decades that I'd sit on from time to time. 

You are still in denial bro.  Matt Ryan is one of the primary reasons this offense is so bad.  Dude is slow.  

On 11/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dakich did not shut down Michael Jordan, if you think that you are delusional. It was Indiana's zone. Dakich helped but Blab at 7'2 was a huge reason why Jordan was passing a lot.  Dean Smith also admitted that he took the ball out of Jordan's hands and thought a game plan of letting his other players get involved gave them a better a chance. Dan Dakich couldn't stop Spud Webb, give me a break.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:49 PM, Nickster said:

Dude Knight always played man to man lol.  Jeeezus. 

On 11/29/2022 at 1:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No Knight did not, he did a lot but that game he did not. I watched the game and remember it like it was yesterday. Everytime Jordan drove there was at least 2 people on him and Blab was standing right there in the paint. I watched the game.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are going to lose this argument because I watched the whole game and know what happened. So if you disagree with me, have at it but I know what happened. My best friend in highschool was the biggest Jordan fan you will ever find and he was so mad at Dean Smith that it was comical. He also was laughing saying how great Blab was protecting the paint because I was teasing him about IU winning. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He started it lmao . Him and I are cool though, but you seen what he said. He said I knew nothing about sports, no big deal really. I could ask all kinds of questions, like who the 1983 seasons SB winner was and unless one know's their history they would have 0 clue. I bet half the people in here have no idea who Lyle Alzado was.

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

season 3 GIF

Bestie, I made a throwaway joke about a bench outside of the VP at the stadium in Bloomington that  read "reserved for Dan Dakich" to see if anyone else knew the bench, ie people who attended IU in the late 80s and 90s and would have been to the VP and remembered the bench.  I didn't know who he was other than  Dakich was known for "shutting" down Jordan.  That's all.  It might have even said that on the bench.  

That's the only thing I had ever known about Dan Dakich.  He had a bench reserved at the BP for his performance against Jorday in 84.  That and he coached a little.  I've never heard the man speak.  I'm in S. IND, and we don't get his show.

Then YOU proceeded to argue my throwaway line about Dakich into one saying KNIGHT played zone v. NC in 84.  I was pretty sure you were wrong because we all grew up in S. INdiana knowing how to play sagging, help side man because that's what the God of S. IND Bob Knight played.  And I looked at the game on YouTube and saw after about 1 minute you must be confusing a sagging man to man with a zone.  Knight NEVER played in the 70s, 80s and early 90s.  NEVER.   He did incorporate some zone on occasion late in his career, but certainly NOT in 84.

Yet Bestie, you were so confident and indignant in defending your position that Dakich is wrong about what he said about the Colts  that you went to arguing about whether or not Dakich played good D v. Jordan in 84.

Weird.   

I’ll go ahead and leave this link here for you @2006Coltsbestever. These posts aren’t going to age very well & frankly calls into question your repeated attempts to make sure everyone knows just how smart you are and how good your eyes truly are. 

@Nicksteris right, unless of course this link and quotes from Bob Knights own book aren’t good enough for you.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/this-date-in-hoosier-history-indiana-takes-down-no-1-north-carolina/

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’ll go ahead and leave this link here for you @2006Coltsbestever. These posts aren’t going to age very well & frankly calls into question your repeated attempts to make sure everyone knows just how smart you are and how good your eyes truly are. 

@Nicksteris right, unless of course this link and quotes from Bob Knights own book aren’t good enough for you.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/this-date-in-hoosier-history-indiana-takes-down-no-1-north-carolina/

Also, I wasn’t even alive when this game was played, but I’m not sure it’s possible to live in Indiana, at least south of Indianapolis, and not know this about Dakich & that game.

7 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Also, I wasn’t even alive when this game was played, but I’m not sure it’s possible to live in Indiana, at least south of Indianapolis, and not know this about Dakich & that game.

I watched the game. I know what happened. I don't care what any article says. I would not have posted what I did if I didn't know what I was talking about. Dakich helped but there was always 2 guys on Jordan when he drove and blab was there waiting in the paint. Dean Smith arguably the greatest coach ever even said he took the ball out of his hands. Bobby out coached him. If anyone honestly thinks Dakich shut down MJ with out help they are delusional. 

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He started it lmao . Him and I are cool though, but you seen what he said. He said I knew nothing about sports, no big deal really. I could ask all kinds of questions, like who the 1983 seasons SB winner was and unless one know's their history they would have 0 clue. I bet half the people in here have no idea who Lyle Alzado was.

We're cool! Lets see, Lyle Alzado. Wasn't he a linebacker or maybe defensive lineman who played for the Browns and another team thats not coming to me? I believe he passed away with cancer of the brain. Maybe i'm wrong LOL

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you even pay attention to players when Wentz was traded and what they said. They were not happy.

Well yeah. But, the team was sucking with Wentz and continued to suck after Wentz. You can't just say it was because Irsay couldn't stand the guy making the team unhappy therefore started playing poorly. That's what is nonsense.

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

We're cool! Lets see, Lyle Alzado. Wasn't he a linebacker or maybe defensive lineman who played for the Browns and another team thats not coming to me? I believe he passed away with cancer of the brain. Maybe i'm wrong LOL

He was a Raider I think is how he is remembered.  I think they were linking his cancer to steroid use too.

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

You know who he is, you are playing around with me. I say that in a good way and as a compliment. I am pretty sure you knew he was on the 1983 Raiders because you have been watching football since what the late 60's? 

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You know who he is, you are playing around with me. I say that in a good way and as a compliment. I am pretty sure you knew he was on the 1983 Raiders because you have been watching football since what the late 60's? 

Yeah ... Seems so long ago. I've lost a few brain cells in all that time. LOL

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

2 games after being ravaged by Covid. Irsay panicked.

It actually started around the New England game for whatever reason. IMO, the problems began with the covid shots. Some didn't want to have them and Irsay, with Ballard, decided to make politics a reality! 

9 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

It actually started around the New England game for whatever reason. IMO, the problems began with the covid shots. Some didn't want to have them and Irsay, with Ballard, decided to make politics a reality! 

I was against getting the shots. I don't like putting anything in my body that I really don't know what it is. I hate politics. I ended up getting my 2 shots of Pfizer because of my mom and my job. It is has been a year now but before I got the shots I was never sick. Since I have got the shots, I have lost sense of taste and smell at times. I am not blaming the shots on it but that has never happened to me before I got the shots.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was against getting the shots. I don't like putting anything in my body that I really don't know what it is. I hate politics. I ended up getting my 2 shots of Pfizer because of my mom and my job. It is has been a year now but before I got the shots I was never sick. Since I have got the shots, I have lost sense of taste and smell at times. I am not blaming the shots on it but that has never happened to me before I got the shots.

Sorry to hear that 2006. I also got the Pfizer shots plus boosters on account of my age. Thankfully, no ill effects that i know of. I'm a firm believer in keeping politics out of sports! Politics sickens me!!!!!!!!!!

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had 2 shots of Moderna and 1 booster of Pfizer. I have noticed a change in the way food tastes. Things that I used to like tastes nasty to me now. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I had 2 shots of Moderna and 1 booster of Pfizer. I have noticed a change in the way food tastes. Things that I used to like tastes nasty to me now. 

@lincolndefan, I will copy you on this as well. I have been fine health wise for the most part but like Crazy, my sense of taste and smell comes and goes. It was never like that before I got my shots. I get it, I am not a super hero or anything but I rarely get sick and have never lost my sense of smell or taste up until a few months ago. It has me worried, I am tired a lot too. I just went to BW3's and got some Blazin Wings, almost the hottest stuff in the world. I could taste that but not much. I want to see if it clears me up. Hungry Food Porn GIF by Hooters-911 Hooters Wings will be next sexy homer simpson GIF

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Listening to horseshoe huddle on YouTube. They talked about where the sacks came from in this game. They didn’t come from the front four. Came from blitzes which they said goes back to Ryan not recognizing the blitz and getting players in the right positions.

Matt Ryan in the pocket be like this :) 

guy-walk.gif

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The only conclusion I have with this is that maybe it was not a run call and Matt was supposed to pull the ball away from him last minute?? Regardless, once it was handed to him, JT has to hold on, as simple as that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@lincolndefan, I will copy you on this as well. I have been fine health wise for the most part but like Crazy, my sense of taste and smell comes and goes. It was never like that before I got my shots. I get it, I am not a super hero or anything but I rarely get sick and have never lost my sense of smell or taste up until a few months ago. It has me worried, I am tired a lot too. I just went to BW3's and got some Blazin Wings, almost the hottest stuff in the world. I could taste that but not much. I want to see if it clears me up. Hungry Food Porn GIF by Hooters-911 Hooters Wings will be next sexy homer simpson GIF

Loss of the sense of taste could be because of Covid virus living inside almost everyone and attacking now and then like the common flu. That's how it is going to be for the rest of the world after such a widespread pandemic. It may not cause similar symptoms for everyone else but it could manifest from time to time and the immune system would fight through that. You probably never experienced that before because such a virus was not prevalent earlier. Shots were taken so that such attacks do not cause adverse effects other than these mild symptoms, if these shots were as  advertised. 

Anyway, if all you feel is the loss of theses senses that come back eventually, you should feel good about your immune system. :)

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The only conclusion I have with this is that maybe it was not a run call and Matt was supposed to pull the ball away from him last minute?? Regardless, once it was handed to him, JT has to hold on, as simple as that.

Yeah, that makes sense. Looks like they weren't on same page or Ryan saw something and changed his mind to hand off but JT was not aware of what his QB wanted him to do. I guess it rarely happens even if they have good communication established between them. As JT said, they should do better collectively, especially when so close to the end zone. 

I was so curious but I couldn't get to see any other angle, it looked like Ryan had recovered the fumble but the defensive player just grabbed out of Ryan's hands. Ryan shouldn't have let the ball out, he seemed to have fallen over it before anyone noticed and had enough time to protect the ball but he couldn't come out with the recovery. 

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Looks like they weren't on same page or Ryan saw something and changed his mind to hand off but JT was not aware of what his QB wanted him to do. I guess it rarely happens even if they have good communication established between them. As JT said, they should do better collectively, especially when so close to the end zone. 

I was so curious but I couldn't get to see any other angle, it looked like Ryan had recovered the fumble but the defensive player just grabbed out of Ryan's hands. Ryan shouldn't have let the ball out, he seemed to have fallen over it before anyone noticed and had enough time to protect the ball but he couldn't come out with the recovery. 

Though both the results were a fumble lost, at least Ryan did not make a "business decision" like Cam Newton did in the SB, not even going after a fumble. :) 

21 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Loss of the sense of taste could be because of Covid virus living inside almost everyone and attacking now and then like the common flu. That's how it is going to be for the rest of the world after such a widespread pandemic. It may not cause similar symptoms for everyone else but it could manifest from time to time and the immune system would fight through that. You probably never experienced that before because such a virus was not prevalent earlier. Shots were taken so that such attacks do not cause adverse effects other than these mild symptoms, if these shots were as  advertised. 

Anyway, if all you feel is the loss of theses senses that come back eventually, you should feel good about your immune system. :)

Frankly, what is truly wrong about not smelling my own bathroom fragrances or others'? :) 

Archived