Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Steelers at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ryan is slow at processing. He holds onto the ball too long and has no velocity. He has a slow internal clock.

I agree that Ryan is slow at processing. Although i want Ryan on the bench, i think Sam is equally slow. Therefore, lets see if Sam can improve. If so great! If not then we know to think beyond. Unfortunately, i think Ryan is done as a starter!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can’t say Ryan is the cause of the lines problems and then ignore a game where a QB got sacked nine times and Ryan wasn’t on the field and ignore how Taylor’s performance has completely dropped off this year.  This line has problems regardless of who the QB is not because of Ryan which is the statement you made.   I gave you two examples of how it’s not because of Ryan.  That’s not comparing Sam to Ryan, it’s saying okay if the lines issues are because of Ryan then explain how Sam got sacked nine times in a game when Ryan wasn’t even on the field and explain why Taylor’s performance has fallen off so dramatically.  It’s not because of Ryan it’s because the line isn’t good.  

Again, Wentz wasn’t the answer.  If you know something isn’t the answer you don’t just keep trying it hoping it will become the answer.  You do something else hoping it will be answer.  If that doesn’t work guess what you try something else yet again and you keep repeating until you find the answer.  

Imo, explaining why Sam got sacked nine times is easy. The OL was * because of the benching of Ryan therefore didn't put in the effort! Easy Pesy! I agree the OL has been part of the problem this year.

48 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It will be interesting who the new gm/coach decide to retain in terms of players. I think we maybe looking at a total rebuild. Wow, Irsay proclamation of all chips in sure looks completely silly. What a year!!!

I don't see how a rebuild is going to work.  We now have decent talent at the skill positions, they are simply young.  The issue now isn't really talent at the skill positions.  The issue is that they are still playing at their 2nd and 3rd round levels. 

Important paragraph:  Talent has been the issue for 5 years prior to this one....Funchess, Cain, Pascal, Mo, Mack, Hines.. then TY and AC left.  These 2nd and 3rd round skill positions like AP, Pitt, JT, Woods, Raimann, should have been drafted years ago.  Instead it was addressed with 5th and 6th rounders like Hines, Cain, Pryor, Pinter, and UDFAs like Mo and Pascal being well coached-up to make us look like a near-playoff team.  

After Pittman's Steelers game and a couple of other games where he didn't block, what is his trade value?  With JT getting the fumbles, what is his value?   Other GMs will beat us down in value, IMO.

Remember HOU, they had Hopkins to trade.  MIA had Leremy Tunsil.  Who do we have like that...young and near elite at important positions, let alone any position?  JT...but the NFL doesn't give much for RBs in trades.

I think the only thing of value that we have to trade will be a high first round pick, but we need a QB.

Feel bad for Saturday.  Losing Brady as OC really hurt his chances.  I would have loved to see him call the plays.  I’m not worried about Jeffs time management at the end.  Tomlin has a reputation for horrendous time management.  He’s still there.  Players win and lose games.  JT’s fumble their kicker hits the upright on a good field goal. It’s football.  Stuff happens.  Right now our coaches on the offensive side are very weak.  Not Jeff’s fault.  It what he was dealt.  The team is fighting and playing to win.  That’s what I’m expecting as we finish the season.  Nothing more nothing less.  We shall see what happens.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

He is not that far off. We have seen it with the Colts, we saw it in that last few drives vs the Patriots too in that SB. If everything is perfect, Ryan makes great decisions. He doesn't handle contact well to not fumble when sacked, goes backwards while taking a sack (last drive vs Patriots in SB costing a FG), all these have been weaknesses for long. When he has gotten slower and his arm gotten weaker, they are all magnified with the Colts.

That is the thing. The Colts are getting 3 to 4 good drives from Matt Ryan every game. He doesn't give us the good floor we wanted for 60 minutes. He was getting the ball out faster and better releases for the SAME time the OL was giving him. It is not like the OL played that much better in the second half, Ryan played much better with faster decision making which was expected from a vet like him for 60 minutes. He just can't deliver that at this stage in his life and unlike you, we are not tied emotionally to Ryan whatsoever.

He played a flawless SB, trying to pin it on him in any way is legit comical. Before their OC went full short bus Ryan had escaped the pocket and threw a sideline pass that would have been etched in SB history had they won to Julio jones. 

My point was Troy spent more time talking about the ryan/falcons and the SB loss than anything else. As a die hard falcon it’s just comical that they bring it up still or try to make it on him for the loss. He’s playing for the colts, they brought it up 4 separate times. For what?? 

In no way is Ryan the same player he was 3-4 yrs ago. He’s fallen off and it sucks to watch but doesn’t change Troy & bucks obvious bias and terrible commentary 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't see how a rebuild is going to work.  We now have decent talent at the skill positions, they are simply young.  The issue now isn't really talent at the skill positions.  The issue is that they are still playing at their 2nd and 3rd round levels. 

Important paragraph:  Talent has been the issue for 5 years prior to this one....Funchess, Cain, Pascal, Mo, Mack, Hines.. then TY and AC left.  These 2nd and 3rd round skill positions like AP, Pitt, JT, Woods, Raimann, should have been drafted years ago.  Instead it was addressed with 5th and 6th rounders like Hines, Cain, Pryor, Pinter, and UDFAs like Mo and Pascal being well coached-up to make us look like a near-playoff team.  

After Pittman's Steelers game and a couple of other games where he didn't block, what is his trade value?  With JT getting the fumbles, what is his value?   Other GMs will beat us down in value, IMO.

Remember HOU, they had Hopkins to trade.  MIA had Leremy Tunsil.  Who do we have like that...young and near elite at important positions, let alone any position?  JT...but the NFL doesn't give much for RBs in trades.

I think the only thing of value that we have to trade will be a high first round pick, but we need a QB.

JT is an interesting discussion. He's been fumbling more, has offered almost nothing in the passing game (for some reason)...and if not for his games against HOU and LV, he would be running sub 4 yds/carry.

Hopefully they can just write it off as part of a down season. But now that they traded Hines away...I think there will be less urgency to pay him right away. 

Its one thing to be a losing football team. But its another to be a losing, and absolutely boring as well. I've never seen a team with such a bland, vanilla offense in my entire life.

Can't put much of that on Saturday though, as he can't remake the entire playbook midseason. 

I do however put alot of it on Ryan. Or should I say checkdown charlie. He'd rather fumble a ball getting sacked, than at least throw a deep ball to one of his 6'4 or 6'3 receivers for a chance at a big play.

4 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

He played a flawless SB, trying to pin it on him in any way is legit comical. Before their OC went full short bus Ryan had escaped the pocket and threw a sideline pass that would have been etched in SB history had they won to Julio jones. 

My point was Troy spent more time talking about the ryan/falcons and the SB loss than anything else. As a die hard falcon it’s just comical that they bring it up still or try to make it on him for the loss. He’s playing for the colts, they brought it up 4 separate times. For what?? 

In no way is Ryan the same player he was 3-4 yrs ago. He’s fallen off and it sucks to watch but doesn’t change Troy & bucks obvious bias and terrible commentary 

I wasn't pinning it on him, I was saying there are certain weaknesses that were there before, that are embellished now that he is older and weaker. It is obviously a sore spot for Falcons fans, like the Saints SB pick 6 and onside kicks are sore spots for Colts fans.

Just now, chad72 said:

I wasn't pinning it on him, I was saying there are certain weaknesses that were there before, that are embellished now that he is older and weaker.

Any QB behind this line is toast. It’s sad to watch him go out like this. When the interior holds up he steps up and gets out of the pocket. However his LT is in his lap every other play. Y’all can try Sam again but look how that turned out. 

just ride out the season and focus on the draft is really all there is to do.

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

JT is an interesting discussion. He's been fumbling more, has offered almost nothing in the passing game (for some reason)...and if not for his games against HOU and LV, he would be running sub 4 yds/carry.

Hopefully they can just write it off as part of a down season. But now that they traded Hines away...I think there will be less urgency to pay him right away. 

So, are you saying we should give JT away for a high 2nd rounder sometime next season after showcasing him? I would because 2023 would be a contract year for him. He is not CMC to warrant 2,3, and 4. 

Or since we will have a rookie QB, would you pay Zeke money to him?

11 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Colts have the worst home field advantage in sports. But I don’t blame the fans. Have they won a game there yet this season?

We've played at Lucas Oil Stadium six times so far and only won twice, against the Chiefs in Week 3 & the Jaguars in Week 6.

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The reality though is that JT is the same player he has always been, except last year he broke about 7-ish long TD runs during games that make you think it was something else than pure speed in open space that got him there.  He's not had those runs this year.  He's still a good RB, but without those runs, he doesn't look special, and some of his weaknesses aren't ignored as much.

18 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Any QB behind this line is toast. It’s sad to watch him go out like this. When the interior holds up he steps up and gets out of the pocket. However his LT is in his lap every other play. Y’all can try Sam again but look how that turned out. 

just ride out the season and focus on the draft is really all there is to do.

The oline last night was fine.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So, are you saying we should give JT away for a high 2nd rounder sometime next season after showcasing him? I would because 2023 would be a contract year for him. He is not CMC to warrant 2,3, and 4. 

Or since we will have a rookie QB, would you pay Zeke money to him?

I would be open to trading JT to keep from having to give him the league's highest RB contract. 

But if they do draft a QB and he plays next year, having JT for those first few years would be nice.

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would be open to trading JT to keep from having to give him the league's highest RB contract. 

But if they do draft a QB and he plays next year, having JT for those first few years would be nice.

It would depend on the new OC and play caller, as to what plan they have for JT. If Ballard is GM, he is definitely paying JT as much as Henry. If I had to choose, I would pay Pittman over JT.

It is a VERY STRONG RB class coming up.  If a team offers a high 2nd rounder for JT, and we have Jahmyr Gibbs available at the end of the 2nd round, would you pass up?

42 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not while Ballard is here lol.  He feels compelled to get "our guys" paid right away lol. 

Ryan’s tank is empty. It has been. Even the fumes have evaporated. It just isn’t there anymore, and there’s nothing that brings it back. 

Can’t wait for January when all the frank leftovers will be shown the door, and the last remnants of frank’s tenure are over with once and for all. I gave Frazier a shot, but the guy had an uphill battle coming in. We heard all the talk about how frank went to him for suggestions or with questions ETC because frank thought so highly of him, and that was red flag #1. We all know frank was the drizzling %s, I don’t think guys who helped him arrive at that point with the same lame * playbook and philosophies were going to be the answer, and hey look at that, they aren’t. 

The timeout farce goes equally on Saturday and Ryan. How many times have we heard they want Ryan to run the offense like Peyton did? How many darn times? 

Why is Ryan out there playing “find the thumb” with less than 60 seconds to go in a game when he needs to be orchestrating a hurry up offense? You don’t remember the time Peyton just stood out there in that situation looking confused like he didn’t know what the hell he was supposed to be doing. Saturday expected Ryan to be doing that, and Ryan was standing out there with moop face like it was the middle of the second quarter. 

By the time Saturday realized that Ryan was not with us in that moment and getting on the ball to do something we’d already bled way too many precious seconds off the clock. Honestly, I err with Saturday on this one.

Why the # was our veteran (very veteran) QB not hurrying guys to the line to get set, or better yet just calling the timeout himself if he didn’t feel they were ready to line up and run another play? Why is he standing out there looking like a cow looks at an oncoming train? He had moop face out there while the game ran down. 

Saturday had his own questionable moments, but this is a guy showing up to work every week having to make the best of whatever is left of Matt Ryan, and the offensive parts and pieces that frank left behind which were already broken and worthless before we sent him on his way. He’s showing up trying to do his job with a toolbox full of mismatched nonsense and he’s struggling as well because of it. 

The defense continues to do their part. They’re keeping us in games. But the offense doesn’t have it, and it’s not going to have anything until every aspect that frank brought to this organization from top to bottom is flushed away entirely. A driver swap doesn’t fix a cruddy built race car. 

51 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Its one thing to be a losing football team. But its another to be a losing, and absolutely boring as well. I've never seen a team with such a bland, vanilla offense in my entire life.

Can't put much of that on Saturday though, as he can't remake the entire playbook midseason. 

I do however put alot of it on Ryan. Or should I say checkdown charlie. He'd rather fumble a ball getting sacked, than at least throw a deep ball to one of his 6'4 or 6'3 receivers for a chance at a big play.

I think he’s just realistic about his limitations at this stage in his career. 

Did you see that deep pass to Campbell vs the Eagles? Took half the afternoon to get there. He just doesn’t have the arm for the game anymore. 

One common thread that needs to be looked at is our team's strength and conditioning. Boring topic, I know. But look at our o-line, our quarterback, our tight ends, our pass rush, and our lack of ability to play 4 complete quarters of football. At first I thought it was just malaise from bad coaching, but maybe it's more than that?

The just don't have the 'poop' to play a complete game.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is over brother, I really felt like that after last week. Last week was devastating but because of mathematics I was holding on to this game tonight. We are just a team that finds stupid ways to lose. Give up 3rd and longs, 4th and shorts, Fumble down by the goalline, we don't get any favorable call from the REFS either as in PI's or facemasks. I am over it.

I had my time as a sports fan, 2006 Colts, 2016 Cubs, and 2000 Pacers is my glory moments The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I did like the Lakers in the 80's as well, so Magic was my main man in the 80's. Everyone around here loved Bird, I took the Magic man and I won more. 

To me the 1988 Lakers would beat any team of all-time period. They had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and 2 guys that were 3 point snipers in Scott and Coop. They were all tall and athletic and would run teams out of the building. That is the best team in sports history and they would take care of the 96 Bulls or 2017 Warriors.

I'm not a hockey or basketball fan, but the only time I really enjoyed it was also in the '80s. They played 'fast break" then and I really enjoyed watching. I liked the '76ers because of Dr. J and disliked the Celtics. But all three(Lakers) were good.. I had a racing Greyhound, fawn colored I named.him.Golden Years. I loved him so much and fantasized about him being the Lakers mascot after he retired because he was fast, blonde, cool and good looking lol. 

As far as the.colts are concerned, think of it as.we're currently in the storm before the calm. If we can continue to lose we can come out maybe with.a.Top 5 pick or better. We even still have a.Hail Merry chance of #1 if the Texans can somehow.win 2 games before we play them. 

We had the #2 pick we drafted Bert Jones...with #1 picks we drafted Elway, Peyton, Luck. 

I doubt this draft has anyone like them or even a Burrow, Maholmes, Josh Allen but who knows?

Maybe whoever is in charge will make the right choice and get us a.elite QB regardless where we pick and not another Guard. 

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

The problem is, if they get any kind of offense whatsoever, they can still beat just about anyone.  As soon as we want them to lose, they will start winning games. 

I don't think we have to worry about them getting any kind of offense with Ryan at QB. 

Just now, shasta519 said:

I don't think we have to worry about them getting any kind of offense with Ryan at QB. 

Without the turnovers they would have scored 30 vs. the Raiders.  They had a good first half vs. the Eagles.  Unfortunately, they will probably disappoint us and win a game or two they shouldn't.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Without the turnovers they would have scored 30 vs. the Raiders.  They had a good first half vs. the Eagles.  Unfortunately, they will probably disappoint us and win a game or two they shouldn't.

It will come in the Chargers, Giants, Texans stretch, the win that shouldn't happen, IMO

Seems to me we need a QB who is willing to take a hit to get the ball off. I get the impression Matt Ryan is scared every snap from the get go. How many games have we started out with an incomplete pass? Seems almost every game now. This team is going no where fast. 

16 minutes ago, #12. said:

LV's defense is the worst in the NFL. But I think "without the TOs" isn't really a thing with Ryan. 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The worst stat in the NFL since 2020?   Obviously the result of poor game planning, play calling, and coaching.  

Its not a talent issue.  Nah, couldn't be.

It's not really a talent issue except for the OL.  That is the achilles heel for us on the talent side.  Coupled with bad offensive game planning and play calling and we are really behind the eight ball.  Defense is not a problem IMO.  Many talented players on that side of the ball. 

Archived