Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Steelers at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s apples and oranges. Your comparing Wentz to a guy who only played two games. 

No I am using it as a point that being able to run isn’t going to off set poor oline play and really I am comparing Ryan and Sam’s performances behind the same oline.  Being able to move only helps if the line gives you protection, it doesn’t make up for it.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I disagree. 

Injury is a distinct issue. 

And personnel usage (use of Yannick, and poor run D) is a distinct issue. 

I don't see depth as a catch-all category. 

Both and Dayo and Ifeadi have been decent/good as "depth" guys. I'd actually use either on 1st downs instead of Yannick. 

Our iDL depth is more of an issue, but the starters (Defo and Grover) are healthy (mostly) and performing great, so depth is not an issue. 

Yannick > Odenibo

Dayo is our best depth piece at the moment. He was not going to be the slated starter, it was supposed to be a rotation with Lewis. 

If you look at the pass rush position we only really have Yannick and Kwity. 

Odenibo behind Yannick,

Dayo/Lewis behind Kwity

Dayo - young, learning

Lewis - Often injured (should not have been relied on that heavily to begin with)

Odenibo (walk on, nothing special, and the fact you like  him over yannick is more a testament of how meh yannick has been)

Ben Banagou - Trash

To me, that's not enough. Even with the injury to Kwity Paye and Lewis (lewis injury isnt a shocker) there's no one else to lean on. Basically counting on a one dimensional pass rusher, and a young Dayo to set the edges of our defense.

It's a very poor plan, and the DT position is even worse for depth. 

The Oline follows a very similar trend. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yannick > Odenibo

Dayo is our best depth piece at the moment. He was not going to be the slated starter, it was supposed to be a rotation with Lewis. 

If you look at the pass rush position we only really have Yannick and Kwity. 

Odenibo behind Yannick,

Dayo/Lewis behind Kwity

Dayo - young, learning

Lewis - Often injured (should not have been relied on that heavily to begin with)

Odenibo (walk on, nothing special, and the fact you like  him over yannick is more a testament of how meh yannick has been)

Ben Banagou - Trash

To me, that's not enough. Even with the injury to Kwity Paye and Lewis (lewis injury isnt a shocker) there's no one else to lean on. Basically counting on a one dimensional pass rusher, and a young Dayo to set the edges of our defense.

It's a very poor plan, and the DT position is even worse for depth. 

The Oline follows a very similar trend. 

I can live with playing young guys and taking your lumps if you have a young QB. But you go get Ryan you should do everything you can to be all in. Otherwise why get him. Your better off playing Sam from the start.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No I am using it as a point that being able to run isn’t going to off set poor oline play and really I am comparing Ryan and Sam’s performances behind the same oline.  Being able to move only helps if the line gives you protection, it doesn’t make up for it.

You can’t say that about Sam after 2 games and when a offense hasn’t been built around him. It’s a poor comparison. 

I can live with playing young guys and taking your lumps if you have a young QB. But you go get Ryan you should do everything you can to be all in. Otherwise why get him. Your better off playing Sam from the start.

yeah so much for the All-in statement made by Irsay

1 hour ago, SurfinKal said:

Aikman did everything he could not to say that Matt Ryan isn’t a starting QB. He talked around it and pointed out things that are on MR to do. I appreciated his insight and believe they should sit MR for the remainder of the season. 

I would like Ryan to sit remainder of season because he's still better than SamE  who gives us a better chance of getting a top draft pick.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can’t say that about Sam after 2 games and when a offense hasn’t been built around him. It’s a poor comparison. 

Sam looked so bad against the Pats, the 1st thing I thought of was Painter. I hope he plays the rest of the season because it is officially over.

By the way it is over for Wentz too, Taylor Heineken is better than he is Beer Cheers GIF by Tyskie

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s not all based off Sam.  Sam was an example of my point, being a mobile QB isn’t going to offset bad o-line play like the Colts have had this year.  

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam looked so bad against the Pats, the 1st thing I thought of was Painter. I hope he plays the rest of the season because it is officially over.

By the way it is over for Wentz too, Taylor Heineken is better than he is Beer Cheers GIF by Tyskie

That wasn’t the point I was trying to make. Taylor  didn’t even play against NE.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Which leads me back to my original point while neither Wentz or Ryan are solely to blame they weren’t the answers either which means the Colts need to keep trying to find the answer.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

That’s not all based off Sam.  Sam was an example of my point, being a mobile QB isn’t going to offset bad o-line play like the Colts have had this year.  

Sam doesn't even have the arm strength as a 37 yr old Matt Ryan either not the accuracy. I posted earlier, I would put a 1000 dollars on Matt Ryan having better velocity on a 10 yard pass over Sam. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam doesn't even have the arm strength as a 37 yr old Matt Ryan either not the accuracy. I posted earlier, I would put a 1000 dollars on Matt Ryan having better velocity on a 10 yard pass over Sam. 

Sam’s arm strength is better then Ryan. I am sitting here listening to the post locked on colts and they agree with me. They go Sam’s arm pops compared to Ryan’s.

Matt Ryan is the cause of most of these oline issues.

No, no he’s not.  If he was Sam wouldn’t have gotten sacked nine times vs the Pats and Taylor would be having a year like last year.  I get it you don’t like that the Colts moved on from Wentz you’ve made your point pretty clear on that but your unwillingness to accept that this team is worse beyond just QB than last year is getting ridiculous.  Again, Wentz and Ryan are both not solely to blame but neither was the answer either and the Colts need to keep trying to find the answer.  

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sam’s arm strength is better then Ryan. I am sitting here listening to the post locked on colts and they agree with me. They go Sam’s arm pops compared to Ryan’s.

It not even close. I wish we could see them both throw a 10 yard pass, Matt's velocity would be better. I will say this, Wentz has better arm strength.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are delusional if you think that. Look what Sam did at New England. The O.Line was in face too, quickly and it was worse actually. 

It was obvious when Sam played against WA. Sam has zip. Ryan has no zip left. Irs clear as day/. New England can be thrown it’s with Joe bad he played and oline played.

No, no he’s not.  If he was Sam wouldn’t have gotten sacked nine times vs the Pats and Taylor would be having a year like last year.  I get it you don’t like that the Colts moved on from Wentz you’ve made your point pretty clear on that but your unwillingness to accept that this team is worse beyond just QB than last year is getting ridiculous.  Again, Wentz and Ryan are both not solely to blame but neither was the answer either and the Colts need to keep trying to find the answer.  

Again stop comparing a guy having  two starts to a 15 year vet. Sam is going to have issues because he is basically a rookie.

I never said Wentz was the answer. But no one can tell me we would not of been better giving Wentz a second season. We downgraded in a major way.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It was obvious when Sam played against WA. Sam has zip. Ryan has no zip left. Irs clear as day/. New England can be thrown it’s with Joe bad he played and oline played.

Honestly I don’t think either has that great of an arm.  Ryan threw some nice passes towards the end tonight with a lot of zip.  Why he doesn’t do that more often I don’t know but I’d guess it’s because he’s not confident in what he’s seeing or these receivers and that’s part of why he’s not the answer.  Sam isn’t the answer either.  The Colts answer at QB isn’t on this roster and wasn’t on this roster last year either.  Hopefully they find an answer but look at how long it took Miami to find the answer at Marino.  Denver took until they got Manning to find their answer.  This could take awhile.  

Again stop comparing a guy having  two starts to a 15 year vet. Sam is going to have issues because he is basically a rookie.

I never said Wentz was the answer. But no one can tell me we would not of been better giving Wentz a second season. We downgraded in a major way.

You can’t say Ryan is the cause of the lines problems and then ignore a game where a QB got sacked nine times and Ryan wasn’t on the field and ignore how Taylor’s performance has completely dropped off this year.  This line has problems regardless of who the QB is not because of Ryan which is the statement you made.   I gave you two examples of how it’s not because of Ryan.  That’s not comparing Sam to Ryan, it’s saying okay if the lines issues are because of Ryan then explain how Sam got sacked nine times in a game when Ryan wasn’t even on the field and explain why Taylor’s performance has fallen off so dramatically.  It’s not because of Ryan it’s because the line isn’t good.  

Again, Wentz wasn’t the answer.  If you know something isn’t the answer you don’t just keep trying it hoping it will become the answer.  You do something else hoping it will be answer.  If that doesn’t work guess what you try something else yet again and you keep repeating until you find the answer.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly I don’t think either has that great of an arm.  Ryan threw some nice passes towards the end tonight with a lot of zip.  Why he doesn’t do that more often I don’t know but I’d guess it’s because he’s not confident in what he’s seeing or these receivers and that’s part of why he’s not the answer.  Sam isn’t the answer either.  The Colts answer at QB isn’t on this roster and wasn’t on this roster last year either.  Hopefully they find an answer but look at how long it took Miami to find the answer at Marino.  Denver took until they got Manning to find their answer.  This could take awhile.  

I never said Sam had a great arm but it’s not dead like Ryan’s.

You can’t say Ryan is the cause of the lines problems and then ignore a game where a QB got sacked nine times and Ryan wasn’t on the field and ignore how Taylor’s performance has completely dropped off this year.  This line has problems regardless of who the QB is not because of Ryan which is the statement you made.   I gave you two examples of how it’s not because of Ryan.  That’s not comparing Sam to Ryan, it’s saying okay if the lines issues are because of Ryan then explain how Sam got sacked nine times in a game when Ryan wasn’t even on the field and explain why Taylor’s performance has fallen off so dramatically.  It’s not because of Ryan it’s because the line isn’t good.  

Again, Wentz wasn’t the answer.  If you know something isn’t the answer you don’t just keep trying it hoping it will become the answer.  You do something else hoping it will be answer.  If that doesn’t work guess what you try something else yet again and you keep repeating until you find the answer.  

I can because I understand Sam had barely played so he gets some grace. Taylor didn’t even play against NE. 

the line was not a issue tonight.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

She loves Wentz, you are wasting your time. I agree he wasn't the answer.

Just stop putting words on to my mouth. I never said that and you know it. It was all about getting a upgrade and when one isn’t available trading him was dumb.

You brag about Wentz all the time and in numerous posts say how good he was for us and Taylor. How I am putting words in your mouth? 

Archived