Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Steelers at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I watched the game. I know what happened. I don't care what any article says. I would not have posted what I did if I didn't know what I was talking about. Dakich helped but there was always 2 guys on Jordan when he drove and blab was there waiting in the paint. Dean Smith arguably the greatest coach ever even said he took the ball out of his hands. Bobby out coached him. If anyone honestly thinks Dakich shut down MJ with out help they are delusional. 

Now you’re just being dishonest by refusing to acknowledge quotes from the head coach himself. 

You claimed they played zone, Bob Knight says otherwise.

You claimed Jordan wasn’t covered by DD, Bob Knight says otherwise.

Since you didn’t read the link I posted, here are his quotes:

In his book Knight, Bob Knight recounted his thinking prior to facing Jordan, and his choice to use Dakich on him:

“There were only two things I thought we could do with Jordan: take away the backcut and keep him off the backboard,” said Knight. “Dakich was about 6-foot-5, not very quick but a tough kid. I thought he was the best we had to do both of those things.

“We knew Dakich wasn’t going to be able to overplay Michael and keep him from getting the ball. So we underplayed him-backed him off and pretty much gave him the jump shot, which wasn’t nearly the weapon then that it became for him. He (Jordan) did two things that just killed you-he was great going to the bucket without the ball, and he was a very, very good offensive rebounder. But not that night.

“We told Dakich in the hotel the night before the game that he was going to guard Jordan. He told the press later his reaction was, ‘I went back to my room and threw up.'”

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

Now you’re just being dishonest by refusing to acknowledge quotes from the head coach himself. 

In his book Knight, Bob Knight recounted his thinking prior to facing Jordan, and his choice to use Dakich on him:

“There were only two things I thought we could do with Jordan: take away the backcut and keep him off the backboard,” said Knight. “Dakich was about 6-foot-5, not very quick but a tough kid. I thought he was the best we had to do both of those things.

“We knew Dakich wasn’t going to be able to overplay Michael and keep him from getting the ball. So we underplayed him-backed him off and pretty much gave him the jump shot, which wasn’t nearly the weapon then that it became for him. He (Jordan) did two things that just killed you-he was great going to the bucket without the ball, and he was a very, very good offensive rebounder. But not that night.

“We told Dakich in the hotel the night before the game that he was going to guard Jordan. He told the press later his reaction was, ‘I went back to my room and threw up.'”

Non sense, I watched the game. You wasn't even born yet. I may need to find youtube posts to show you how many times Jordan drove and had 2 guys on him and how Blab controlled the paint. I watched the game and my best friend in highschool blamed Dean Smith for the loss and because Dean took the ball out of Jordan's hands once he was getting double teamed. 

My point is, Dakich did not stop Mike by himself. That would not even be possible. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Non sense, I watched the game. You wasn't even born yet. I may need to find youtube posts to show you how many times Jordan drove and had 2 guys on him and how Blab controlled the paint. I watched the game and my best friend in highschool blamed Dean Smith for the loss and because Dean took the ball out of Jordan's hands once he was getting double teamed. 

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My point is, Dakich did not stop Mike by himself. That would not even be possible. 

That may be your point now, but that wasn’t what you originally said, or what I responded to, so please stop moving the goal posts.

You stated as a matter of fact that the Hoosiers played zone against NC in that game. You were questioned on it, and you doubled down calling anyone delusional to say otherwise.

I provided you a quote from the head coach himself, it still want good enough for you.

The Hoosiers did not play zone VS NC. DD guarded MJ. Those are the facts. I don’t need YouTube videos or your memory of what your highschool buddy said 40 years ago to prove anything.

Wasn’t it you that wouldn’t believe reports about Colts players being unhappy unless it came from their own mouths? But yet I gave you quotes from

Bob Knight himself and yet it’s not good enough for you? 

Seems like you are letting your disdain for DD distort your recollection of that game to prove your point and further diminish DD….kind of like what your accusing Bill Cower and others of doing, no?

That may be your point now, but that wasn’t what you originally said, or what I responded to, so please stop moving the goal posts.

You stated as a matter of fact that the Hoosiers played zone against NC in that game. You were questioned on it, and you doubled down calling anyone delusional to say otherwise.

I provided you a quote from the head coach himself, it still want good enough for you.

The Hoosiers did not play zone VS NC. DD guarded MJ. Those are the facts. I don’t need YouTube videos or your memory of what your highschool buddy said 40 years ago to prove anything.

Wasn’t it you that wouldn’t believe reports about Colts players being unhappy unless it came from their own mouths? But yet I gave you quotes from

Bob Knight himself and yet it’s not good enough for you? 

Seems like you are letting your disdain for DD distort your recollection of that game to prove your point and further diminish DD….kind of like what your accusing Bill Cower and others of doing, no?

Zone defense is when you are allowed double a player that is dominant. Dakich never played MJ man to man, watch the game. If Dakich played man to man, that would be a joke - he did for like 2 seconds lmao .  Show me 1 play where Dakich stopped MJ, you can't because it didn't happen. You have no idea what you are talking about. Everytime Jordan got the ball and then when he drove, there were at least 2 guys on him. Dean Smith thought Sam Perkins could bail them out. Bill Cowher is so wrong on so many levels so don't get me started there. It is not about Jeff's record, Jeff could have gone 0-8 and Bill still would have been wrong. Irsay made the move to get Jeff to evaluate the team as an Interim coach. Jeff was never the answer but Bill Cowher had to show his whiny rear end on CBS for people to love him I guess.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Zone defense is when you are allowed double a player that is dominant. Dakich never played MJ man to man, watch the game. If Dakich played man to man, that would be a joke. Show me 1 play where Dakich stopped MJ, you can't because it didn't happen. You have no idea what you are talking about. Everytime Jordan got the ball and then when he drove, there were at least 2 guys on him. Dean Smith thought Sam Perkins could bail them out. Bill Cowher is so wrong on so many levels so don't get me started there. It is not about Jeff's record, Jeff could have gone 0-8 and Bill still would have been wrong. Irsay made the move to get Jeff to evaluate the team as an Interim coach. Jeff was never the answer but Bill Cowher had to show his whiny rear end on CBS for people to love him I guess.

Also from the article I linked previously:

“ Their defensive styles were different — with Indiana playing that packed-in man-to-man the entire game.  The Hoosiers rarely extended their pressure much beyond 15 feet, but any time the ball reached the paint there was aggressive help and double teams.”

“Jordan was held to 13 points on 6 of 14 shooting while only grabbing one rebound.  He committed 4 turnovers.”

“When Jordan did catch the ball in the post, IU either used a double team or Dakich effectively forced him into the baseline.

None of this is to take anything away from Dakich’s effort on the night.  Quite the contrary.  He should be praised for executing the game plan.  Dan Dakich did his job.  He was fundamentally solid with his positioning, and his teammates were solid with helping him out.

Dakich’s excellence on the night went far beyond executing the defensive game plan.  He was masterful at facilitating the IU offense with precision passing.  No one was more important than Dakich as it related to recognizing North Carolina’s switching defense and finding its holes and weaknesses.

He was the consummate team player, or a “glue guy” if you will.  Dakich drew charges, got tap outs, and blocked Jordan out to keep him off the offensive boards.  It was great all-around effort, and IU was fortunate to hang on when he fouled out with around four minutes remaining.”

“Yep, he missed jump shots.  Because that is exactly what Bob Knight wanted him to do.  And Dan Dakich and his teammates executed it to near perfection.”

If this still isn’t enough for you, try this link as well:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-06-02/how-indiana-stunned-north-carolina-michael-jordans-final-college-game?amp

This is easy.

11 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Also from the article I linked previously:

“ Their defensive styles were different — with Indiana playing that packed-in man-to-man the entire game.  The Hoosiers rarely extended their pressure much beyond 15 feet, but any time the ball reached the paint there was aggressive help and double teams.”

“Jordan was held to 13 points on 6 of 14 shooting while only grabbing one rebound.  He committed 4 turnovers.”

“When Jordan did catch the ball in the post, IU either used a double team or Dakich effectively forced him into the baseline.

None of this is to take anything away from Dakich’s effort on the night.  Quite the contrary.  He should be praised for executing the game plan.  Dan Dakich did his job.  He was fundamentally solid with his positioning, and his teammates were solid with helping him out.

Dakich’s excellence on the night went far beyond executing the defensive game plan.  He was masterful at facilitating the IU offense with precision passing.  No one was more important than Dakich as it related to recognizing North Carolina’s switching defense and finding its holes and weaknesses.

He was the consummate team player, or a “glue guy” if you will.  Dakich drew charges, got tap outs, and blocked Jordan out to keep him off the offensive boards.  It was great all-around effort, and IU was fortunate to hang on when he fouled out with around four minutes remaining.”

“Yep, he missed jump shots.  Because that is exactly what Bob Knight wanted him to do.  And Dan Dakich and his teammates executed it to near perfection.”

If this still isn’t enough for you, try this link as well:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-06-02/how-indiana-stunned-north-carolina-michael-jordans-final-college-game?amp

This is easy.

I watched the game I know what happened. It is very easy. If it was Dan Dakich vs MJ one on one, MJ would have destroyed him. IU's overall defense scheme is what stopped him with double teams with a Zone at times and Blab's length in the paint. Dakich did a nice job but it wasn't like he was the sole reason he stopped Mike. That is a myth. Dean Smith even admitted he made a mistake by telling Mike to pass more, taking it out of his hands. Dean thought Sam Perkins was a better option, Sam was great but that was silly.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I watched the game I know what happened. It is very easy. If it was Dan Dakich vs MJ one on one, MJ would have destroyed him. IU's overall defense scheme is what stopped him with double teams with a Zone at times and Blab's length in the paint. Dakich did a nice job but he wasn't like he was the sole reason he stopped Mike. That is a myth. Dean Smith even admitted he made a mistake by telling Mike to pass more, taking it out of his hands. Dean thought Sam Perkins was a better option, Sam was great but that was silly.

My goodness, stop deflecting and using straw man arguments.  

I’m not arguing that DD is the sole reason MJ had bad game, you’re the only one bringing that up…because you want to make sure you get your DD shots in.

A double team is not a zone. Not back then & not today. Show me one defense where players don’t help cover opponents cutting to the basket? I’ve never seen a center knowingly turn away from someone driving in because “it wasn’t his guy”.

It is common knowledge that the Hoosiers game plan was to pack the  D in tight and give up the perimeter shots….because the head coach that installed the game plan has told us that is what he done. And he told us that not Blab, not Alford, but DAN DAKICH was getting the start and that he would be guarding MJ.

Full Stop. Everything else you’re going on about is irrelevant.

You’re wrong about what type of D they were playing & DD’s role/importance in that game  & refuse to admit it. And it appears your purposefully doing this in an attempt to diminish DD(who you, me, & the majority of the other posters here can’t stand) just because you don’t agree with his opinions on some of the Colts issues - which isn’t fair. He was absolutely a part of that team & played a major role in the TEAMS win. You don’t have to dismiss that to prove that he is a blow hard that should by & large be ignored in all things relating to football & the Colts.

If that’s not enough, you’re now taking personal shots at posters and bringing into question their knowledge of sports, simply for disagreeing with you for saying the Hoosiers played a Zone D that game.

Lastly, it’s starting to become a pattern for you to willingly and unequivocally disregard facts presented to you simply because they don’t align with your opinion.

This will be my last response to you on this, as we are detailing the thread & it’s obvious we aren’t going to agree.

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

My goodness, stop deflecting and using straw man arguments.  

I’m not arguing that DD is the sole reason MJ had bad game, you’re the only one bringing that up…because you want to make sure you get your DD shots in.

A double team is not a zone. Not back then & not today. Show me one defense where players don’t help cover opponents cutting to the basket? I’ve never seen a center knowingly turn away from someone driving in because “it wasn’t his guy”.

It is common knowledge that the Hoosiers game plan was to pack the  D in tight and give up the perimeter shots….because the head coach that installed the game plan has told us that is what he done. And he told us that not Blab, not Alford, but DAN DAKICH was getting the start and that he would be guarding MJ.

Full Stop. Everything else you’re going on about is irrelevant.

You’re wrong about what type of D they were playing & DD’s role/importance in that game  & refuse to admit it. And it appears your purposefully doing this in an attempt to diminish DD(who you, me, & the majority of the other posters here can’t stand) just because you don’t agree with his opinions on some of the Colts issues - which isn’t fair. He was absolutely a part of that team & played a major role in the TEAMS win. You don’t have to dismiss that to prove that he is a blow hard that should by & large be ignored in all things relating to football & the Colts.

If that’s not enough, you’re now taking personal shots at posters and bringing into question their knowledge of sports, simply for disagreeing with you for saying the Hoosiers played a Zone D that game.

Lastly, it’s starting to become a pattern for you to willingly and unequivocally disregard facts presented to you simply because they don’t align with your opinion.

This will be my last response to you on this, as we are detailing the thread & it’s obvious we aren’t going to agree.

A Zone is not man to man, Jordan at times had 2 to 3 guys on him. Bobby loved his man to man but he switched to Zone when MJ had the ball at times it was clear to everyone that watched the game. I am not even trying to be right here. I am telling you I watched it and have played basketball. We will just disagree I guess. I respect your opinion but I watched the game. 

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Yannick is going to have 12-13 sacks before the season is over. Seems like a very quiet total.

That’s because of his short comings in the running game. That sack production comes with a big drawback. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 9:02 AM, lincolndefan said:

Sorry to hear that 2006. I also got the Pfizer shots plus boosters on account of my age. Thankfully, no ill effects that i know of. I'm a firm believer in keeping politics out of sports! Politics sickens me!!!!!!!!!!

Have I offended you in some way?

I can count on my SAD emoji from you on many posts

I hope that you have a great day

22 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Have I offended you in some way?

I can count on my SAD emoji from you on many posts

I hope that you have a great day

Not at all! Why would you say such a thing? The reason i sometimes give out sad emoji's is because i don't agree with your assessment. Whatever the topic is at that time. I always thought, maybe incorrectly, that the emoji's were to reply without actually typing. You know for us lazy posters. I read 98% and type 2%. If i offended you in any way than my apologies. In no way was it intentional. I will continue to utilize the emoji's to you or anyone else that post something i disagree with. If the emoji's are there for any other reason than i don't know what their there for. Again, sorry i made you feel offended!

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

Not at all! Why would you say such a thing? The reason i sometimes give out sad emoji's is because i don't agree with your assessment. Whatever the topic is at that time. I always thought, maybe incorrectly, that the emoji's were to reply without actually typing. You know for us lazy posters. I read 98% and type 2%. If i offended you in any way than my apologies. In no way was it intentional. I will continue to utilize the emoji's to you or anyone else that post something i disagree with. If the emoji's are there for any other reason than i don't know what their there for. Again, sorry i made you feel offended!

I also thought a 'Disagree' emoji would be helpful  :D  that'd not be any negative against the poster. 

don't reply with sad emoji for that :)

On 12/23/2022 at 6:42 AM, lincolndefan said:

You throw your "sad" emoji around at my posts....... which is fine

I was just looking for the  reason

I am imperfect by a long way.......  But I would invite dialog

Something like..... You know..... MikeCurtis...... I dont agree with your opinion because thus and thus , and so and so

That, I can understand and have a fun and respectful back and forth

Thats good stuff, and what an opinion board flourishes with

Love me or hate me.... just tell me why   :)

Have a great and blessed day, as we celebrate Christmas and or Lords birth!!!

Archived