Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

This seems vaguely familiar….. a backup wearing the number 4 comes off the bench as a backup and becomes the starting QB for the Colts. Can’t remember what happened next. Wait, I remember now, they went on a tear, made the playoffs and got hosed in the AFC championship game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Frank looks defeated. He knows he’s gone soon. 

I agree. I will get lambasted for saying this but I think Irsay ,who is quirky to say the least is getting like his father was and.....

He's the reason Luck retired.

He's the reason Mcnumbnuts left us at the alter last minute.

He's the reason Rivers didn't want to play another season

He's the reason Wentz lasted 1 year.

He's the reason this latest change was made.

He's the reason we will be starting from scratch next season.

He's the reason we are heading towards being the Browns.

But...he cuts the checks so I guess he has that right.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

In no way do I see this helping Taylor. Teams will play closer to the line, pull their safeties up closer and crowd the box. What keeps the defense honest and not selling out to stop the run is a QB that can beat them over the top and make them pay for stacking the box. I don't think Sam is that kind of QB. I honestly expect to see more Heinecke than Hurts when Same takes the field and I don't think that helps our run game.

More than Matt Ryan, Sam E is the one that benefits the most by taking snaps out of shotgun, IMO. 

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Is there any reason to not play Raimann now, especially considering how Dennis Kelly looked yesterday?

There was one play yesterday where the DE blew right by Kelly and Kelly pushed him right into Ryan.  Ryan fell hard.

To me, absolutely a win win decision. Only two things can happen:

1. He shows promise and we have our first  young starting QB since Luck

2. He is no better than Ryan, we continue to lose, we bottom out and end up high enough to grab a QB in the drft

I don't blame Ryan entirely, but everyone knows, if you have a trash OL, you need to use RPO's, bootleg play actions, get out of the pocket or move the pocket. We can literally do NONE of these things with Ryan, and can do ALL of these things with SAM.

For the love of god, please be the guy Sam.

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So Ballard is brought in because Grigson ended Lucks career because of a horrible offensive line. 6 years later Ballard's building of the Oline causes, most likely, another career ending injury to a Colts qb. Can't make this crap up lol.

Crickets from the Ballard lovers.

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree 100%. Team comes out with no fire at all. been saying this for last few years. Head coach is responsible for getting this team ready to play and we never seem ready.

Yep. This team has gone into halftime trailing every game so far this season...

Well, this means we are in full tank mode to welcome CJ Stroud to Indy next April or we will be making the playoffs. 10-6-1, or5-11-1 what's it going to be? Truth is this team has more than enough talent to make the playoffs as long as the quarterback doesn't turn the ball over 3 times a game and we don't get called for holding on a perfectly executed block!

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Ryan retired he would be doing colts a huge favor.

Why would Ryan do them any favors. They lied to him to come here. They told him we have a great OL, just look at our 3 allpros on the line, just what you need to be sussessful. Then they bench him because it cant be the coaching or the OL. Its all  him. If I was him I would get everything I could. So would you.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Hey, don’t get me wrong - I REALLY like Sam. Love the way he’s picked up the playbook theory - he KNOWS this offense. But he’ll be playing with stacked bundles of dollarbills instead of an Oline. 

I know he has wheels, but he’s not made of steel. We’ve seen him get injured before. He can’t take this punishment anymore than Ryan could. 

Maybe the O line will play a little better ? Also a different game plan could make teams a little more reluctant to stack the LOS and freely blitz ?  All those passes with hardly any shots down field really is a pile of crap IMO.

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That’s better than I thought at least. Thought they had to eat the whole base salary next season.

Yeah, there is still some questions out there.

I also was under impression it was fully guaranteed. Other $17m seems to be injury only..?

Idk? Even the ESPN clip with the Rap and the other guy. They both said 2 different things.

Even a couple days ago Spotrac and OtC had all contract guaranteed.

Now they both show something different.

Being able to clear that $17m would be nice. Will temper expectations about that till there is more clarity.

19 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I agree. I will get lambasted for saying this but I think Irsay ,who is quirky to say the least is getting like his father was and.....

As one who was alive during the Bob Irsay years, Jim is even to this day very different than his father

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Maybe. But honestly what else can they do at this point? They've probably seen just about every combination between training and practice. We can't get it done with who we have.

The only think I see left is Kelly to RG or RT , Rainmann to LT and Pryor to the bench...

16 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

U maybe on to something.  U know everyone piled on Josh McDaniels when he pulled out. 6 years later is it really hard to fault him for making that decision? I also think Bill sat him down and said don't do it. Bill knows alot bout this league and maybe Bill warned him bout  taking the Indy job? Did Bill see Indy as having major flaws in the FO with Irsay and Ballard? I know people think I am foolish but I truly believe Bill told him to stay away as this was not the right job.

6 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Why would Ryan do them any favors.

This will be interesting.  Will Matt even want to come back and be a backup?  If not he might retire.  He is cuttable too, the plenty is big but not unheard of

I doubt either side really wants him to be a backup so there could be some bluffing

3 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Why would Ryan do them any favors. They lied to him to come here. They told him we have a great OL, just look at our 3 All-Pros on the line, just what you need to be sucessesful. Then they bench him because it cant be the coaching or the OL. It's all  him. If I was him I would get everything I could. So would you.

Pretty sure a Professional QB would look at tape himself before joining a team, so lying probably didn't happen. Also, if he checked himself, he would know we have only one All-Pro (Pro Bowl is different than All-Pro). Also if he checked himself, he would see that our pass blocking ranked 30th last year, despite us Colts fans saying it was due to injuries. Omg, the man is 37, if he didn't do research, he's slower than we thought. If you watch games closely, he misses what is in the NFL open receivers, and takes about one second too long, which is a killer in the NFL. At some point, the INTs and fumbles have to be admitted and move on.

10 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Why would Ryan do them any favors. They lied to him to come here. They told him we have a great OL, just look at our 3 allpros on the line, just what you need to be sussessful. Then they bench him because it cant be the coaching or the OL. Its all  him. If I was him I would get everything I could. So would you.

He won’t. He can just NOT retire and get $12M of his base when he’s cut on Feb.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

He can just NOT retire and get $12M of his base when he’s cut on Feb.

They shouldnt say anything about cutting him and tell him hes in line for backup duty.  

See if hes willing to go through with that and who calls the bluff first 

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I told you guys the coaching staff sees players every day in practice they knew from day one Sam is special .  He’s been lighting up every practice .    This is the same situation the eagles were in with hurts . The colts are now a playoff team 

If that is the case, they wouldn't have went after Ryan. They would have simply cut Wentz as they did and went with Sam and not gave up a 2nd rounder. So let me get this  straight. They have given up a 1st and a 3rd. For Wentz. Then a 2nd for Ryan for 2 year rentals.  Ballard is the same guy that says u can't take a risk on a young qb or get ridden out or town. Let that sink in 3 good picks for 2 disastrous veteran qbs that r probably one and done. What a waste. With those picks one could have traded for their  young franchise qb of the future. What an absolute waste and people still think Ballard is thr 2nd coming. Rubbish!!

1 hour ago, fire cartier said:

Ryan leads the NFL with nine interceptions and also leads the NFL with 11 fumbles. 

Benching Ryan more than likely prevented him from setting an NFL record for turnovers in a season. Bad stat for a HOFer. Like Willy Mays stumbling in the outfield in his last year.

Irsay did the man a SOLID!

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Which might be the reason Reich and Ballard get another chance. Especially with a young QB.

I’m glad you said this. I’m tired of all this change, so I wouldn’t be upset if this happened. I’m for whatever makes the team better moving forward. Maybe Sam’s that guy because he’s been in the system for years. Frank isn’t the problem in my personal opinion. Ballard has missed on filling key positions. He had years to find a replacement for Castanzo. Us not being able to find a solid QB falls on him like it did with Bill Polian in 2011. This same situation is what caused him to be fired. Some people really think Ballard will be getting a pass. We’ll see what happens after week 17

29 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Little if any of that is correct.

Luck retired because he was getting slaughtered behind a leaky OL and was hurt all time. 

McNumbnuts left us because he is a piece of sh## as a person.

Rivers hadn't planned on another year and was just ready to retire. He plainly stated as much. Unlike Brady*, he knows when to walk away.

He may be the reason Wentz lasted one year. And God bless you for that Mr Irsay. 

It sounds like a mutual agreement but I suspect he was the driving force in this QB change. And again props to him. Ryan simply wasn't working.

Blaming him for all of our problems is ridiculous. No owner has a crystal ball; it's educated guesswork. In fact blaming any one person is ridiculous. Hindsight is 20/20 and there seems to be plenty of it going on here. 

And he could have a lobotomy and still be a better owner than his dad. 

Archived