Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

matt just doesnt look good at all the line is playing bad but the excuses for ryan have to stop .     11 fumbles and 9 picks in 7 games is rookie level numbers .   outside of the one game matt has looked horrible he only scored over 20 points one time .  you cant win averaging 13 points a game while losing the ball 20 times .  the team needs a spark right now

Never said he looked good.  But you’re calling him lazy.  I just disagree.  I don’t think he’s lazy.  We can have different opinions.  On to Sam!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Everyone keeps blaming Reich for arguing with the ref and not getting that play call in that caused the INT. Ryan could of just thrown ball away, spiked it, or even called a timeout himself. It even audible to another play. It was awful by Ryan.

exactly, all of his experience in years, but no vet prescence. I feel like the 2nd Jax game was the only glimpse of his former self. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

If Zappe is the Pats guy do you at least call New England about Jones?  Just seeing what people think.  I am not saying they should do it.

i personally don't think they'll do a trade with NE.  I do like Mac Jones, but im pretty sure they went with Jones over Zappe didn't they? 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Frank Reich said Sam would've started even without the injury to Matt Ryan. Does it have to be publicized? It's similar to how Wentz was made a scapegoat. 

There are many issues other than Ryan. Roster on the offense has just got WR2, and TEs aren't used consistently. The whole league knows this offense is short of play makers except for WR1 & RB1, one of whom gets injured and misses few games. It's actually a pleasant surprise that Pierce has matured and developed his game to start pro career this early in rookie season with this much quality! 

Then, you've new untested OL going into the season, and they perform very poorly by eye test and all metrics. Run game with an elite RB1 wasn't working as expected even when healthy. 

Then, you have a stale offense, mediocre play caller whose game plan and adjustments aren't up to the level needed in the NFL, and repeatedly gets outcoached and outprepared. 

There are constant issues in roster building. Only side that cannot be criticized is the defense. 

With all these issues, is it right to repeatedly bring veteran QBs and humiliate them as if they are the only problem, while other issues do not get fixed and still persist? 

Even for a casual observer from outside, this gives a bad vibe about the organization. If Sam does badly, he probably knows he'd be the next scapegoat. Would players from around the league want to play for such an organization, ownership and Management that throw them under the bus to save their jobs? 

I would feel bad if I were a Falcons or Ryan fan too. 

They could of just said he was injured and will miss time. If Sam played well then they just say they are sticking with him. But I also didn’t mind what he said.

Ehlinger may be a better choice now because he is more mobile. However, if he ultimately doesn’t work out, and you don’t hit on a good QB in a future draft, what top free agent QB would come to Indy based on the Wentz/ Ryan situations. If Ballard gets fired, what top GM will come if you don’t have full control in player personnel and draft decisions ? 
It’s a slippery slope. I saw the Orioles in baseball this year reverse things finally when Angelo’s gave full control to GM Mike Elias.  It took four years, but you build from within , have stability , then top free agents will come. 

26 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If he doesn’t come out and take some of the blame this week I really will lose even more respect for him. Reich is out there falling on the sword for some of Ballard’s mistakes.

Falling on the sword is an understatement. He’s getting crucified for stuff that is just as much Ballard’s fault as it is his. People keep just bringing up Matt’s turnovers, but this line is an absolute joke. There’s probably more QB hits and sacks on Ryan that he has TDs and turnovers combined. And while Frank’s playcalling has done Ryan no favors, it’s the GM he can’t seem to find a LT, QB, or even a RG to save his life. I can’t think of a GM who has done less for their HC this season.

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

i think his meddling increased during the Wentz year. and i think it has gradually gone up since. 

I feel like this tends to happen when coach/gm are on, or close to being on hot seat. 

but i dont agree that the Colts organization is a mega-joke, that i don't agree with. 

I don't agree. I think meddled, but was lesser visible until QB situations became news. 

Outside of Indy, Indy is a joke to folks. No longer in Indy for 20+ years. Tons of friends and employees across the states and globe for many years. The last 4 years, I've taken abuse from my friends lol... I can't even defend Indy now. Even my friends in TN (Titans fans) are unhappy with their team, but they feel sorry for me lol.. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Rap sheet thinks this was a Reich move. Interesting.

Yeah, I think it’s two things.  One, Frank realizes it might be the only way he saves his job, and two, he looks at Siriani and Hurts and believes the Colts can win with that model.  With Sam, they can play a similar style.

Matt ryan  

Recovering from shoulder separation depends on the severity of the injury and the type of treatment administered. Most patients with an AC separation experience a full recovery, although may have a residual bump left on the shoulder. Typical recovery times are:

Grade II: Approximately 6 weeks

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't agree. I think meddled, but was lesser visible until QB situations became news. 

Outside of Indy, Indy is a joke to folks. No longer in Indy for 20+ years. Tons of friends and employees across the states and globe for many years. The last 4 years, I've taken abuse from my friends lol... I can't even defend Indy now. Even my friends in TN (Titans fans) are unhappy with their team, but they feel sorry for me lol.. 

yeah but ive travelled a lot, have lived in various states, a lot of people don't really know what happens in colts football. i've got one buddy who pays attention, but has increased his attention over the years due to talking about the colts with me. but for the most part people only know what the media tells them about the colts if they aren't a fan. and we all know that indy is not a media favorite. but from my experiences, most people don't really know whats going on with our team. 

24 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

did you watch the game? both picks he had 4s+ to throw, and threw it straight to the defender. you can't blame that on the OL (as a Matt Ryan fan, you should be well acclimiated to his propensity to turn the ball over)

also for clarity, they said he was getting benched regardless of injury. he has played bad, it's just how it is. 

Both Picks? 4 seconds? Your joking on that first int. It was an untouched blitz off the left side lol. The second one yea it was a bad decision trying to get it to Pittman. I’m not defending him on that. 

he had them moving with a chance to take the lead until Pittman decided to fumble too. While playing with a separated shoulder. 

you better hope they have a very solid plan for Sam or they will all be wearing clown makeup 

2 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Both Picks? 4 seconds? Your joking on that first int. It was an untouched blitz off the left side lol. The second one yea it was a bad decision trying to get it to Pittman. I’m not defending him on that. 

he had them moving with a chance to take the lead until Pittman decided to fumble too. While playing with a separated shoulder. 

you better hope they have a very solid plan for Sam or they will all be wearing clown makeup 

you know the fumble from pittman was in garbage time right?

2 minutes, down by 9, no timeouts. doesn't matter if we score there anyways. they'd have to score, recover an onside, and score again.

i know you're a lifelong Matty Ice fan, but the reality is the reality buddy. He's hot garbage. they gave Jacoby Brissett more time than Ryan. Irsay said enough is enough. They said even without the injury, he was a goner. 

It wasn’t a chance to take the lead.  They were down two scores then.  Just pointing that out before you get attacked for that.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

It wasn’t a chance to take the lead.  They were down two scores then.  Just pointing that out before you get attacked for that.

im not gonna attack him, but clearly he isn't watching as close as others. Ryan is bad my guy. big bad. what were supposed to be his strenghts have not been his strengths. he has looked lost out here at times. actually most of the time he has been bad. the jax game is an outlier. 

59 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Probably not a good thing. But his health seems to be in decline. He's getting up there in age and maybe he's realizing there's not much time left to personally see his team succeed. I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there... 

That sounds like Jerry Jones....yikes 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

you know the fumble from pittman was in garbage time right?

2 minutes, down by 9, no timeouts. doesn't matter if we score there anyways. they'd have to score, recover an onside, and score again.

i know you're a lifelong Matty Ice fan, but the reality is the reality buddy. He's hot garbage. 

Reality is your team is hot garbage. Good luck with the QB carousel. Oline might be worse than chicagos. Hopefully Sam can run for his life all game. 

PS team was driving with 3:30 left in the game. All turnovers mattered. Ryan’s first pick had 0 time and your coach even took the blame for not getting the play call in. This team has absolutely sucked when Frank calls the plays and only did anything when they were in Tempo lol.

cruddy way for Matt to go out, deserved better than this dumpster fire. 

good luck the rest of the season. 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yea my mistake, still had 3:30 left in the game at that point. 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

im not gonna attack him, but clearly he isn't watching as close as others. Ryan is bad my guy. big bad. what were supposed to be his strenghts have not been his strengths. he has looked lost out here at times. actually most of the time he has been bad. the jax game is an outlier. 

Your oline is big bad, I’ve watched Ryan play behind some * poor olines, this one may be the worst. Ryan has issues sure but when you keep him clean he won you games. They should be 4-2 if not for Shankenship. 

acting like Ryan is the only issue on this team is absolutely laughable. 

Reality is your team is hot garbage. Good luck with the QB carousel. Oline might be worse than chicagos. Hopefully Sam can run for his life all game. 

PS team was driving with 3:30 left in the game. All turnovers mattered. Ryan’s first pick had 0 time and your coach even took the blame for not getting the play call in. This team has absolutely sucked when Frank calls the plays and only did anything when they were in Tempo lol.

didn't he just have a terrible year with the Falcons? you act like he came here off a 2016 MVP performance or something

23 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah but ive travelled a lot, have lived in various states, a lot of people don't really know what happens in colts football. i've got one buddy who pays attention, but has increased his attention over the years due to talking about the colts with me. but for the most part people only know what the media tells them about the colts if they aren't a fan. and we all know that indy is not a media favorite. but from my experiences, most people don't really know whats going on with our team. 

I have a ton friends who are FB fans (NFL and college). And most of my employees (state side) are FB folks. I live in the SE. FB is big down here. Even most women can talk FB here. And especially TN and GA, they surprisingly know a lot about Indy. TN due to Peyton's time. And GA due to Ryan now. And prior to covid, I was at FB games weekly HS, CFB, and/or NFL. 

Just now, skerfalcon8710 said:

Your oline is big bad, I’ve watched Ryan play behind some * poor olines, this one may be the worst. Ryan has issues sure but when you keep him clean he won you games. They should be 4-2 if not for Shankenship. 

acting like Ryan is the only issue on this team is absolutely laughable. 

Why are you here. 

28 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, I think it’s two things.  One, Frank realizes it might be the only way he saves his job, and two, he looks at Siriani and Hurts and believes the Colts can win with that model.  With Sam, they can play a similar style.

It was probably easy to convince Irsay too because he loves Sam.

4 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Yup we are bad with Matt Ryan hopefully Sam will play better which as long as he doesn’t have 9 interceptions and 11 fumbles in 7 games I’ll be happy. Side note aren’t the falcons under .500 and worse record than our hot garbage team?

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

didn't he just have a terrible year with the Falcons? you act like he came here off a 2016 MVP performance or something

He had an average year playing behind Jaylen Mayfield who was the worst guard in the NFL as a rookie last year. He had a rookie Kyle Pitts to throw to, russel gage who Brady can’t even make look good and a 5’8 midget named OZ bc his best receiver was busy gambling on games and quit 4 games into the season. 

Your coach, GM and owner sold everyone on the idea that you had an All Pro line and a dominate RB. Wait didn’t that RB also fumble the ball away ok a drive to tie the game in the first Ten game? 

again your team is hot garbage, so is my team. 

end of the day I’m disappointed to see Ryan go out like this and for the team and fans to run the bus over him as a scapegoat. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I have a ton friends who are FB fans (NFL and college). And most of my employees (state side) are FB folks. I live in the SE. FB is big down here. Even most women can talk FB here. And especially TN and GA, they surprisingly know a lot about Indy. TN due to Peyton's time. And GA due to Ryan now. And prior to covid, I was at FB games weekly HS, CFB, and/or NFL. 

yeah hasn't been my general expeirence to be honest. people tend to know about the few star players but thats it. that's why every year Fred Warner is voted as the best off ball backer, when Leonard out ranks him in every single measureable statistic. just how it goes. I literally had someone tell me once we haven't been good since Peyton left, or that we hadnn't had a QB since Peyton. they live in the past or off big names only. 

He had an average year playing behind Jaylen Mayfield who was the worst guard in the NFL as a rookie last year. He had a rookie Kyle Pitts to throw to, russel gage who Brady can’t even make look good and a 5’8 midget named OZ bc his best receiver was busy gambling on games and quit 4 games into the season. 

Your coach, GM and owner sold everyone on the idea that you had an All Pro line and a dominate RB. Wait didn’t that RB also fumble the ball away ok a drive to tie the game in the first Ten game? 

again your team is hot garbage, so is my team. 

end of the day I’m disappointed to see Ryan go out like this and for the team and fans to run the bus over him as a scapegoat. 

he went for 20 TD and 12 INT, he was already fading out. 

90.4 rating last year

84.7 rating so far this year.

not that big of a drop off. probably time for him to retire. 

Can't believe people are on this thread saying "wow I didn't see this coming". This was a no brainer, you can't keep a QB in the lineup that leads the league in fumbles, picks and sacks! Seriously, something's gotta give. Good luck Sam just be ready to run for your life with that O-line. 

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yup we are bad with Matt Ryan hopefully Sam will play better which as long as he doesn’t have 9 interceptions and 11 fumbles in 7 games I’ll be happy. Side note aren’t the falcons under .500 and worse record than our hot garbage team?

lol falcons suck dude, there’s nothing you can say to hurt me. Our QB can’t even be allowed to pass more than 15 times a game even when we’re trailing by 21.

managment there also butchered the trade of Ryan. 

again I’m disappointed to see my favorite player go out like this when all he’s ever done is be professional no matter the circumstances. 

he went for 20 TD and 12 INT, he was already fading out. 

90.4 rating last year

84.7 rating so far this year.

not that big of a drop off. probably time for him to retire. 

Not saying he’s not dropping off, look around the league.. Ryan, Rodgers, Brady, Stafford, Wilson all look washed 

lol falcons suck dude, there’s nothing you can say to hurt me. Our QB can’t even be allowed to pass more than 15 times a game even when we’re trailing by 21.

managment there also butchered the trade of Ryan. 

again I’m disappointed to see my favorite player go out like this when all he’s ever done is be professional no matter the circumstances. 

Not saying he’s not dropping off, look around the league.. Ryan, Rodgers, Brady, Stafford, Wilson all look washed 

his QBR has gone down every year since 2016. 

Colts should've never signed him,. 

his QBR has gone down every year since 2016. 

Colts should've never signed him,. 

Don’t disagree, I’m more annoyed at the Atlanta managment for how they ended up being forced into trading him bc they chased after Watson in the cover of darkness then ended up with egg on their face.

Archived