Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

A lot of people including most of the media didn't listen closely to what Frank actually said....he said " FOR NOW, Sam is the starter for the rest of the year"

He said in round table tonight they expect him to start rest of season but they will access it later. Which makes it crazy they just didn’t say Ryan was injured for a couple weeks. The. They could of then stuck with Sam if he played well.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lol

Honestly it’s a fair question. Why was Foles brought in if Sam is the guy? Why was Sam 3rd string for the first part of the season? The question should be pressed firmly into Ballard’s forehead as well. He’s just as guilty.

So ive been on record in the past saying I just dont see what people are seeing in Ehlinger, and im sticking by that. Was Ryan getting the job done? No not at all, which is very disappointing. But i really do not expect this to go all that much better with Ehlinger. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong, i really really do, and I will be rooting for Sam to prove me wrong! But I just dont see it. I think FAR too many people are putting a lot of stock in watching him play against 3rd stringers in the preseason. 

Prove me wrong Sam, i'd love nothing more than for you to.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Honestly it’s a fair question. Why was Foles brought in if Sam is the guy? Why was Sam 3rd string for the first part of the season? The question should be pressed firmly into Ballard’s forehead as well. He’s just as guilty.

I think it's more how out of line it is in terms of Indy media. Here in the ny/nj area where I live I remember Eli getting terrible questions every week.

That was very east coast reporter talk... Lol

I respectfully disagree Flash7. It is a very valid comparison between the 2 gms. Record and success of their first 5 years on the job. And in reality it makes Ballard look even better because this is first gm job while Polian already had 2 previous stops as gm before coming to the Colts. Polian signed Jim Kelly from the USFL dispersal draft in 85(or maybe the Bills owned his rights from a previous draft). Who knows where this team would and have accomplished by now if Ballards "franchise qb" hadn't retired. Polian got to work with Peyton for 14 years and has 1 sb title to show for it and yet people on here keep railing on Ballard for 1 playoff win in 5 years which is still one more than Polian had after his first 5 years here. I just don't get it!!!!

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I think it's more how out of line it is in terms of Indy media. Here in the ny/nj area where I live I remember Eli getting terrible questions every week.

That was very east coast reporter talk... Lol

The Indy media is getting tired of this just like we are it looks like. 

Yeah, NY/NJ reporters show no mercy. 

3 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

So ive been on record in the past saying I just dont see what people are seeing in Ehlinger, and im sticking by that. Was Ryan getting the job done? No not at all, which is very disappointing. But i really do not expect this to go all that much better with Ehlinger. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong, i really really do, and I will be rooting for Sam to prove me wrong! But I just dont see it. I think FAR too many people are putting a lot of stock in watching him play against 3rd stringers in the preseason. 

Prove me wrong Sam, i'd love nothing more than for you to.

I'm 100% with you, but you know how it goes the pitchforks come out when things go bad. This season is heading towards the toilet (imo). No 6th Rd QB is saving this ship and I'm a homer through and through.

We've got a small flicker of hope though at least. 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I'm 100% with you, but you know how it goes the pitchforks come out when things go bad. This season is heading towards the toilet (imo). No 6th Rd QB is saving this ship and I'm a homer through and through.

We've got a small flicker of hope though at least. 

saving what season? this already as an 8-8 team. even if things just stay the same, its better to move on from the veteran. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

saving what season? this already as an 8-8 team. even if things just stay the same, its better to move on from the veteran. 

I meant I start every season with hoping for a good season. But once week 3/4/5/6 happened I knew where we're going.

Just now, coming on strong said:

if sam plays well will you have the guts to come on here and admit it ?

1 week does not a starting QB make.... but if he plays well against the Commanders, I'll give him some kudos, they have a decent defence and just beat Aaron Rodgers (though that being said the Packers aren't the same team as they used to be).

Let's just say I'll believe it when I see it, and for more than 1 or 2 weeks.

20 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. I do not mind the question or the way it was asked. It needs to be

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

if sam plays well will you have the guts to come on here and admit it ?

Yea dude I hope for the fans sake that he does. I’m a life long Ryan fan, I admit I’m bitter with how todays announcement was handled and reported. 

if sam comes in and get sacked 5 times a game then what? You bring in Foles for a try? Just poorly managed and worded approach to the remainder of the season. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Does anyone think it’s weird Frank has been left holding the bag and Ballard hasn’t addressed this at all?  Maybe he will soon just a thought it’s weird.

why is it weird? coaches determine who starts and who doesn't.

you trying to make it something its not. 

Is this more of a last ditch attempt by Reich before getting fired, or is this another forced move by Irsay and Reich/Ballard keep their job next year and get to draft their QB of the future since the chances of this working out well are super slim, despite what some SEC fans online think? Probably a bit of both, but I guess we'll see.

It will be interesting to see how the vets on this team respond to this move if this is a lost season. It's gonna be hard to keep a lot of guys here with the history of QB inconsistency.

And if we somehow get CJ Stroud out of this, I can't say I'll be mad.

3 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Yea dude I hope for the fans sake that he does. I’m a life long Ryan fan, I admit I’m bitter with how todays announcement was handled and reported. 

if sam comes in and get sacked 5 times a game then what? You bring in Foles for a try? Just poorly managed and worded approach to the remainder of the season. 

you act like they didn't give him almost half a season to figure it out. he's giving up more turnovers than rookie QBs. they gave him a fair shake. 

30 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He said in round table tonight they expect him to start rest of season but they will access it later. Which makes it crazy they just didn’t say Ryan was injured for a couple weeks. The. They could of then stuck with Sam if he played well.

Not saying this is remotely the case, but it would make sense if Ryan was contemplating retirement.  He's being benched for performances.  Understands completely.  And says that he might want to take two weeks with the shoulder to figure out if he wants to come back.

Doubtful, but it would fit the idea that Sam is the starter for the rest of the season, for now.

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

Is this more of a last ditch attempt by Reich before getting fired, or is this another forced move by Irsay and Reich/Ballard keep their job next year and get to draft their QB of the future. Probably a bit of both, but I guess we'll see.

It will be interesting to see how the vets on this team respond to this move if this is a lost season. It's gonna be hard to keep a lot of guys here with the history of QB inconsistency.

And if we somehow get CJ Stroud out of this, I can't say I'll be mad.

The last thing I want is an Ohio State QB.  Everytime one comes along I hear well this guy is different and won’t struggle like the previous Ohio State QBs have at the NFL and then they end up struggling.  I would say the samething about Alabama QBs but they seem to be turning that around a bit with Tau, Jones, and Hurts (yes I know he spent a year at Oklahoma but he spent the bulk of his time at Alabama).  

Honestly, even though I don’t think it’s going to happen I’d love to be wrong and Sam to be the guy.  Then the Colts have their guy and don’t have to go get one.  With that said I don’t think it’s going to happen but I’d love it if it does.  

7 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Is this more of a last ditch attempt by Reich before getting fired, or is this another forced move by Irsay and Reich/Ballard

Frank said he Chris and Jim talked about this and all were on board with it.

It probably is a chance for Frank to save his job.  I thinks its mostly about Matts turnovers plus his arm was weak and he now has a shoulder injury too.  

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Because you signed Ryan to be the starter back in April.  You signed Foles to be the backup.  They were loading up for a Division title and Sam wasn't part of that.

They stink after 4 games and know they have no chance with the team they have.  They elevate Sam to be the backup thinking that if things go they way they are going, they will bench Ryan.  (I said that was the reason they elevated Sam, in prep for benching Ryan, when others were saying it was for installing gimmick plays).   Now that future is here.  The playoff chase is over already.  The starter is done, and Foles becomes the emergency player in case Sam gets hurt or stinks really badly.   

But, Frank isn't going to say any of this.

I don't see why Lawrence Owen can't see that and had to ask the question.

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Franks said he Chris and Jim talked about this and all were on board with it.

It probably is a chance for Frank to save his job.  I thinks its mostly about Matts turnovers plus his arm was weak and he now has a shoulder injury too.  

I mean does anyone think Frank would say otherwise to the media? 

If Sam somehow becomes the next Brady, I'll be estatic, but I bet he's gonna throw as many turnovers as Ryan did given the same performance of the OL and schemes. Guess we'll see.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Frank said he Chris and Jim talked about this and all were on board with it.

Yep.  Frank can't just bench the $35M 3rd round pick traded for QB without running it up the flagpole first.

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Not to get into that while debate, but to me it's definitely true. 

Folks obviously have the right to their opinion and say it should've been solved by now, but I equate it similar to life how something like a divorce or job loss derails someone's life. Millions/Billions have overcome it, but some don't.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Franks said he Chris and Jim talked about this and all were on board with it.

I like Ryan and I am surprised by this move but I did say yesterday I just didn’t think Ryan was the right fit for Frank’s offense.  The Colts just can’t give him the protection he needs.  Frank acknowledged that today.  So now we will see what Sam haves.  If the Colts get lucky and he’s the guy hey Ballard and Frank get to keep their jobs and everyone is happy.  If he’s not I think Reich is gone.  Ballard we will see on.  I’ll say Irsay looked mad yesterday after the game and like someone who didn’t want to say something he would regret.  He made a huge deal about how bad he wanted to beat the Titans this year and fail twice by two scores I could easily see Irsay firing Ballard too and starting over.  

I do wonder if he keeps Ballard if we see a situation similar to when Mora was let go but the offensive coaches were retained and Dungy was brought in to fix the defense.  Maybe you see Reich dismissed but Bradley and company retained and guy like Payton who is an offensive guy brought in to fix the offense.  

oh well that’s putting the cart before the horse.  Who know maybe Sam comes in and is the next Tom Brady and the Colts save their season.  I am not betting on it but as a fan of course that’s what I want to see.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The last thing I want is an Ohio State QB.  Everytime one comes along I hear well this guy is different and won’t struggle like the previous Ohio State QBs have at the NFL and then they end up struggling.  I would say the samething about Alabama QBs but they seem to be turning that around a bit with Tau, Jones, and Hurts (yes I know he spent a year at Oklahoma but he spent the bulk of his time at Alabama).  

Honestly, even though I don’t think it’s going to happen I’d love to be wrong and Sam to be the guy.  Then the Colts have their guy and don’t have to go get one.  With that said I don’t think it’s going to happen but I’d love it if it does.  

Stroud doesn't play like Fields or the other OSU QBs before him at all. I went to Purdue, so I'm not a OSU homer in the slightest, but the accuracy and timing  this kid shows is second to none imho. But, this thread isn't about NFL draft prospects so I digress.

I agree that I hope Sam becomes the second coming that a bunch of Texas fans proclaim he is lmao. 

Archived