Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

52 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mobile or not, Sam E needs to be accurate, that wins in the NFL most of the time. He will help the running game, 100%.

I wanted them to try Mariota and see if they could do some zone read after CW was let go.  This is pretty much that.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

There are people celebrating that Ehlinger is starting and putting a lot of the blame on Ryan. But Ballard should be getting more flak for getting Matt’s shoulder separated. You’ve got no LT and Pryor is letting guys go straight to the QB without even making contact sometimes. That’s awful that they have to go with an unproven QB instead of Foles, because they need a mobile QB to counter the awful line play. I hope they show Ballard the door after the season is over. Part of me feels bad for Reich.

many have mentioned these issues. The news today is Matt Ryan being benched and rightfully so. Just being happy that a change is being made doesn’t mean Ballard isn’t at fault here. 

Pat Kerwin is saying this is a full tank job by the Colts, positioning them for a top QB. His assessment is due to Reich already announcing Ryan will not play again this season, unless El and Foles get injured. 

Personally, I'm glad it's a tank if it is, because this team is dire need of a QB.

Nothing against Ellinger but he has mediocre arm talent. He's athletic but his arm is very similar to Fromm. It's not very good at all. 

Start your commanders defense in fantasy :thmup:

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

7 games in and there’s already another starting QB for this team. Didn’t even make it to next season. What number starting QB is this now under Ballard? 7?

Just awful 

The starter can't play if he is injured. 

1 minute ago, Boondoggle said:

Gotta say I think Reich is an excellent OC but only average as an NFL head coach.  What limits him as HC is his kindness I think.  Simply put Frank is too nice.

So as to the decision of whether to retain him it becomes about who you want to replace him with.  Because it would be very easy to go backwards when you fire a coach like Frank.  This is why I'd be all in on Sean Payton, even if it meant cleaning house midseason to ensure I can openly chase him without looking like a jerk of an owner.

But yeah if you're going to hire some hot coordinator there's a ton of risk.  You could easily go backwards.  And even best case he's going to need to learn on the job and a lot of learning is done from making mistakes.  So just go get Sean Payton.  I am praying we end up with him because if we do this team will finally start bringing us the results we have been pining for.

We aren’t getting Payton. He is going to sit back and wait until the perfect situation comes along. 

52 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

The oline is still terrible, I feel for Matt, he got killed. He was protected at an NFL standard for one game this year. Maybe he wants to retire though. If Ryan is not retiring and Irsay or Ballard is forcing this move it reeks of desperation. Like Ryan is getting scapegoated.

I also feel for Sam, his first NFL games will be behind one of the worst Olines in the NFL. He is going to have to learn how to read blitzes and use his legs very quickly. 

I must say though I was very deflated after yesterdays game and this has gave me a huge jolt of new excitement. He could be the next Wilson, late round Qb turned stud.

This regime and owner have a history of scapegoating QBs. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Pat Kerwin is saying this is a full tank job by the Colts, positioning them for a top QB. His assessment is due to Reich already announcing Ryan will not play again this season, unless El and Foles get injured. 

Personally, I'm glad it's a tank if it is, because this team is dire need of a QB.

Nothing against Ellinger but he has mediocre arm talent. He's athletic but his arm is very similar to Fromm. It's not very good at all. 

Start your commanders defense in fantasy :thmup:

Hurts is winning. Arm is same as Sam’s.

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah and you wanted Wentz who not only choked the last 2 games away last year, he has been a dumpster fire in Washington and injured also. At least Matt didn't start 1-4 and leave us playing way up hill like Wentz did last year.

Dude stop.  You look silly.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

7 games in and there’s already another starting QB for this team. Didn’t even make it to next season. What number starting QB is this now under Ballard? 7?

Just awful 

Hey, Ballard regime will help us print out a Cleveland Browns like T-shirt with the names of the QBs listed pretty soon if this bleeding is not stopped. 

50 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Watch the Rams offer us something for Taylor. If we get offered a 1st and a 2nd you make that trade

In a friggin heartbeat.  Only saleable asset we have other than a half year of Pittman.  Maybe Paye, but he wouldn't bring back more than what we drafted him for. 

We have very few players that would bring anything in trades. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We aren’t getting Payton. He is going to sit back and wait until the perfect situation comes along. 

Sometimes one must tilt at the windmill.  I am stubborn that way, when I know what I want.  And I am hoping Irsay is similar when it comes to this decision.

1 minute ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I do.  The OL is the problem.  Until it is fixed no QB will do well here.  We keep changing the QB and keeping the turds and we keep being surprised.  NELSON is not worth his REP.  TRADE HIM!! 

Yeah! Trade the one guy worth a damn on the line! That'll REALLY help out Sam.

Most of the Info being posted here is SUMMARIES. I highly recommend watching this. The issue with social media is a lot of times people post things to meet their agenda. I get a little different take on things after watching the presser. 

We are not going to trade Q with the line being as bad as it is.  Who would make a big offer for a LG anyway?

Im not into tanking but if someone wants to make a big offer for Taylor or Leonard i probably would do it.  Id prefer to keep Pittman

Someone out there might be interested in Gilmore to make a run

10 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Reality check:  We've managed to spend 133 million on QB's since 2019.  It's insane and Irsay still owes Ryan money for 2023.  Here's the article that goes into detail:

https://overthecap.com/colts-bench-matt-ryan

We also spent 30 million on Brissett.

^^^^^This is why we have no OL 

Yep. Possibly going to cost Ballard his job. They owe Ryan $35M next year.

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Most of the Info being posted here is SUMMARIES. I highly recommend watching this. The issue with social media is a lot of times people post things to meet their agenda. I get a little different take on things after watching the presser. 

Props to Indy media. Finally asking some good questions and pressing when needed. I've been critical of them in the past, but they've been better lately IMO. 

5 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Twitter makes it hard to put quotes in context. Thanks for that.

I know everyone wants a young QB but not even Luck could make this offense successful right now.  I mean we need a QB, yes, but that isn’t going to solve our problem in one season.  Expect 2-4 seasons until the ship is righted, and all of our high skill players are at the end of their prime.

sadly at this point, we need to rebuild at the tail end of this rebuild.  Luck retiring dramatically screwed us over (I get why he did though), and unfortunately we were unable to recover.

oh, and we need a good coach.

Archived