Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to say that I am excited for Sam to get this opportunity. I really wanted him to have an opportunity to start in this league, and I hoped it would be for us. But I did not see any path for him, unless it was at the end of a terrible season for us, OR Matt Ryan got injured. 

Sam is going to get a legitimate shot at the NFL... Not many get this opportunity. Can't wait to see him play. :)

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wrong, I said Peyton was an Ace high Flush, Luck was a 4 of kind, Matt was a Full house. Get it straight before you pile on. I am happy for Sam to get a chance.

It’s okay your welcome to join the Sam fan club . Everything will be okay we have our future Qb . Welcome aboard !

12 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Win or lose it’s going to be fun to see a young QB.

Also, the good thing that will come of this is that the Colts will finally find out what they have in Sam Ehlinger. If he excels, then they can focus on filling other needs in next year's draft. If not, then then at least they can draft a QB knowing that it's a true need.

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It’s about time to give the kid a chance. I do find it funny that Ryan is another scapegoat lol 

With Reich's, Ballard's, and Irsay's opinion of the roster, I think they feel like it is being held back by QB play.   

I'm not saying they are right.  I'm saying that's what they think, IMO.

Its crazy that they are willing to eat Ryan cap hit to start this guy, maybe they think they can move Ryan.

It has to be one of two things, either they truly believe Sam can do better behind this god awful Oline, or they think the season is lost and they want a QB in the draft, but have to see what Sam can do first.

So does he really have a separated shoulder, or are they just doing this to save his ego? 

Pretty crazy regardless since Ehlinger moved to #2 the week before. 

Do they think Sam gets us into tank mode and they move up in draft? 

This all but guarantees Frank is a goner after this season at least 

Just now, strt182 said:

Taking bids on how many weeks it takes for fans to wanna bench Sam.  I wanna see anybody under center do good.

Let's be honest, it could go either way... I like Sam... I think he is a Jim Harbaugh clone. Very smart with wheels, and able to navigate in the pocket. He is young, and will make many mistakes... But it will be fun to watch. 

I get the excitement from a lot of folks. We have had statues at QB, while the league has gone away from that. 

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

This has me more excited than since Luck was QB. I just hope this doesn’t save jobs if the Colts miss the playoffs again.

I actually don't have high hopes for Ehlinger. I don't mind them doing it to see what they have in him. This is especially true if they are actually preparing to draft a QB in the coming 2023 draft. In case Ehlinger shows he can actually ball, better do it now. Or do they actually think he gives them the best chance to compete? Maybe.... I have no idea... 

Either way... lets see where this brings us... To be honest I can't think of a realistic scenario where I wouldn't want us to draft a QB... almost no matter what Ehlinger does. He has to be insanely good for me to forego drafting a QB. Like... top 10 QB in the league level good. 

Just now, masterlock said:

Also, the good thing that will come of this is that the Colts will finally find out what they have in Sam Ehlinger. If he excels, then they can focus on filling other needs in next year's draft. If not, then then at least they can draft a QB knowing that it's a true need.

We have to see how he plays but no way do you take QB off the board. But you compare to Sam and ask does at his QB have a higher upside then Sam. If Sam is bad we are in the QB race. I wonder if Irsay will let Ballard snd Reich keep their jobs if they have a high pick for a QB.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Its crazy that they are willing to eat Ryan cap hit to start this guy, maybe they think they can move Ryan.

It has to be one of two things, either they truly believe Sam can do better behind this god awful Oline, or they think the season is lost and they want a QB in the draft, but have to see what Sam can do first.

Sam cant be worse. Turnovers are unacceptable 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Kevin was right 

Yep.  I didn't think it was Irsay, but the elevation of Sam a few weeks ago had more to do with just installing gimmick plays.

That was the narrative by folks who have hated on Sam since the draft.  That he's just an unathletic runner who isn't good for much as a QB.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wrong, I said Peyton was an Ace high Flush, Luck was a 4 of a kind, Matt was a Full house. Get it straight before you pile on. I am happy for Sam to get a chance.

Hey man im not piling on im just saying you were Ryans biggest supporter here and its ok to hold your position sometimes. I was a Ryan supporter also. I think this reeks of desperation and Ryan is becoming a scapegoat. The oline being bottom 5 in the league in pass blocking and run blocking got Matty killed. He showed in the Jags game, give him protection he can sling it. Sam is probably going to die also. He has wheels to run away though. 

32 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Yes thank you I am so happy !!!! Sam is a future pro bowler you guys will eat so much crow 

I hope you are right!!!

Before he becomes all world,  dont you think he needs to win a game or two?

I put the odds that Sam E, is our starter next year at 25%

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

They think he is the better QB who gives us the best chance to win.  This is not a tank move.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We have to see how he plays but no way do you take QB off the board. But you compare to Sam and ask does at his QB have a higher upside then Sam. If Sam is bad we are in the QB race. I wonder if Irsay will let Ballard snd Reich keep their jobs if they have a high pick for a QB.

You are correct, if Sam E. DOESNT want the Colts to draft a QB next year, he has the perfect chance to prove it

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Kevin was right 

I've been a huge defender of Irsay in the last year or so, but if this is true, I think it's a mistake. If he has to put his finger on the scale about who should be our starting QB as the season is going on, then he should probably be looking for new HC and/or new GM. I think the owner can have some say on the huge decisions of a franchise in the off-season. I don't think middle of October is that time. Just let the people you've chosen do their job as they see fit and if you don't like what they've done with their opportunity, let them go after the season... 

I just don’t see the upside in this as long as frank remains. There is no upside in anything under those circumstances. The way Frank runs this team and the offense would make it hard for Peyton * Manning himself to be successful. 

What a long and ridiculous journey to where we really need to go this has been… I’m burnt out on it. As a fan I am just emotionally de-vested in this team as long as frank remains. I tried to tell everyone the jags game was an extreme outlier, and it was. 

We have gone 5 darn long and hard seasons living the frank reich experience. No one benefits from it. It’s always a frustrating and hard slog to mid. I don’t want to hear the blame about the QB situation. If he can only be a good coach with a top 5 QB then he’s not a good coach whether he has a top 5 QB or not.

He was lucky he had luck when he got here. When that went away we found out the nuts and bolts the guy was built with were junk, and he is too. 

And I think it’s had a negative effect on Ryan. Put Ryan on a team like SF. I have a hard time buying that Ryan would look as bad as a 49er as he has this season under frank. 

Either all of the guys we’ve seen play at a high level on this team in recent years just forgot how to play football and can’t play at that level anymore, or there’s something else. I’m way more willing to bet it’s something other than a bunch of good players just suddenly turning bad.

They’re trying to fix the rattling noise that this team is making by kicking the can that’s making the noise down the road some more and wondering why it keeps rattling. :dunno: 

This is a good decision and I'm surprised that Frank made the call.  After they positioned Ehlinger as the QB2, which was a tell that they were considering this, I figured he'd need another week or two but doing it now has the potential to help us down the road.

First off introducing Ehlinger to the equation takes advantage of the fact that we have turned the ball over like a team that has a young QB.  And by taking advantage I mean the inexperienced QB is going to throw some dumb passes, but you can also get some positives from a younger signal caller.  Like an ability to escape the rush, as well as a younger arm who can pump some of those short throw windows underneath, or open up those deep outs that give older QBs with flagging arms trouble.

Secondly if Ehlinger struggles Ryan is an option to play.  And Ryan knows that he's on the bench because he turned the ball over.  This is called accountability and it is always a good thing, in fact it is critical for a winning team.  Which means if we turn to Ryan again he should be ready to play a lot better.

Fans act crazy when it comes to QBs.  But the truth is QBs are just like everyone else in terms of having a job to do and needing to be held accountable.  And it's about time Ryan was held accountable for his play.  Colts will benefit from this for sure.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If they release him at the end of the year they pick up 17m in cap space.  Not that bad.

If they get a new young QB, I'd prefer that both Reich and Ballard be gone so that the new QB is trusted to a new GM and HC with different offensive philosophies and team building philosophies, at least ones with flexible philosophies instead of being stubborn to changing if they don't work.

I don't doubt Ryan's injury at all. The OL has played like trash for most of the season (which also still needs to be addressed), and Ryan being immobile offers no help. Sam makes sense in that respect. For all we know Ryan had input on this change, as well, and he very well may be retiring after this season (we did it to Philip).

I'm happy to see this change, and excited to see how he plays this Sunday and progresses (hopefully) as the season goes on. However, I'm equally interested to see a jolt of energy on the team with this change. AND, I think it's cool it'll be on a late afternoon/evening game. 

Looking forward to this Sunday.

Archived