Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be in the minority but I hate this move. 

In a QB driven league, there’s a reason he was still on the board for pick 218!

He’s not going to make the team more competitive. He’s at best a backup.

Hope I’m wrong and I’ll cheer him on, but the Colts will be lucky to get to 6 wins.

25 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

LoL as a falcons fan I just watched our entire fanbase clamor over us moving to a “mobile” qb that will make the oline look better.. 

Mariota can’t even be trusted to throw more than 15 times a game now even when down by 21 :funny: 

grass isn’t always greener.

the oline has gotten Matt Ryan killed and I hate that he left a terrible oline for an even worse oline.

will continue watching the rest of the season as long as Matt’s around. 

good luck Colt nation

Sam is not just a running Qb he is a pocket passer who can run if needed .  

13 minutes ago, joeb said:

I predict an improvement.  At least Sam is mobile and not afraid to tuck it and run. This adds a whole different dimension to the game. Like Mahomes, lamar jackson. Not comparing by any means. I'm feeling excitement already. Frank needs to let him roll.

Ask the falcons how that’s working with Mariota lol

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I feel for Matt in a way. The line absolutely destroyed him. I'm still not sure Sam is going to be a miracle cure for this team. Get ready, because it might get real ugly now. 

And it might not. Let him play.

If Sam balls out: It's a Win. We get our franchise QB and Frank stays.

If Sam is decent but shows why he was a 6th round pick a few times. It's a Win. We have a promising QB who just finished half of a rookie season. We fire Frank and build a system around Sam next year. 

If Sam is bad. Win(kind of). We finally figure out that we don't have any QB who can save this offense and we probably trade up in the draft to get a rookie. Frank is fired and a new era of Coach+QB starts.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Frank:  Matt is our QB...  for the flight home.

i have a feeling those who were calling for a Irsay to order a change may have gotten their wish.

I liked Ryan and feel the problems were beyond him but I am hoping the best for Sam and hope he’s the next Tom Brady although I am skeptical he will be.  

12 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

The oline is still terrible, I feel for Matt, he got killed. He was protected at an NFL standard for one game this year. Maybe he wants to retire though. If Ryan is not retiring and Irsay or Ballard is forcing this move it reeks of desperation. Like Ryan is getting scapegoated.

I also feel for Sam, his first NFL games will be behind one of the worst Olines in the NFL. He is going to have to learn how to read blitzes and use his legs very quickly. 

I must say though I was very deflated after yesterdays game and this has gave me a huge jolt of new excitement. He could be the next Wilson, late round Qb turned stud.

When the OL does give you time, there was still questionable decision making. The Colts were just tolerating Ryan's inadequacies in the first half so far, but they said no more. Reich did touch upon the fact that there were plenty of instances where the OL did give Ryan time. Regardless, it is Irsay driving it from the top, hands down.

1 minute ago, bestQBever said:

If Sam balls out: It's a Win. We get our franchise QB and Frank stays.

If Sam is decent but shows why he was a 6th round pick a few times. It's a Win. We have a promising QB who just finished half of a rookie season. We fire Frank and build a system around Sam next year. 

If Sam is bad. Win(kind of). We finally figure out that we don't have any QB who can save this offense and we probably trade up in the draft to get a rookie. Frank is fired and a new era of Coach+QB starts.

Reich won’t be fired if Sam is good.

5 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Hope I’m wrong and I’ll cheer him on, but the Colts will be lucky to get to 6 wins.

What's the worst Sam could do, turn the ball over and give Washington 14 points?  That's what Ryan was going to do.  

People are forgetting the other major shift:  it will all run through Taylor once again, especially initially, just as it was heavily run focused in Philly in 2021.  Hopefully Sam then comes along like Hurts has and the offense evolves in the way the Philly offense has.

3 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Which will be a win.   Get a top 5 draft pick plus we will know what Sam has.  My guess would be if they only win 6 games, the Sam experiment would have failed and the Colts could get a new head coach who can pick a QB with the 4-6th pick in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It's bad. But it's happened to the Lions twice through Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson. 

The Lions have never recovered from being, well... the Lions... 

If the Titans can win with Ryan Tannehill and several different OCs by investing in enough free agents, the Colts could have done that too with someone like Marcus Mariota or Mitch Trubisky, IMO. Our HC and GM philosophies have both hurt us. Can't keep blaming Luck and his retirement forever.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wrong, I said Peyton was an Ace high Flush, Luck was a 4 of a kind, Matt was a Full house. Get it straight before you pile on. I am happy for Sam to get a chance.

See it's not the fact that you guys were wrong, it's that you ridiculed some of us who saw this dumpster fire coming. 

Own up. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

i have a feeling those who were calling for a Irsay to order a change may have gotten their wish.

I liked Ryan and feel the problems were beyond him but I am hoping the best for Sam and hope he’s the next Tom Brady although I am skeptical he will be.  

This morning I read Irsay's newest tweet...

Which read, how appreciative he was of the Colts fans who travelled down to Tennessee for yesterdays game.

Even I was surprised at how many replies he got calling for Irsay to start Sam Ehlinger

58 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Yes thank you I am so happy !!!! Sam is a future pro bowler you guys will eat so much crow 

I am all for change to see what he's got and while I hope that this ends up as a Drew Brees type of situation, I doubt it works out that way. Fingers crossed though - temper expectations

15 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Tom Brady was a 199th overall pick.

Nevertheless there's a small chance that Ehlinger was new Brady.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If the Titans can win with Ryan Tannehill and several different OCs by investing in enough free agents, the Colts could have done that too with someone like Marcus Mariota or Mitch Trubisky, IMO. Our HC and GM philosophies have both hurt us.

Tannehill has a 15-3 AFC record.  People keep talking crap about him.  The guy is way better than people think and he is doing it with no weapons at TE or WR.  

If TN dumps him I'd sign him for sure. 

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

If the play calling is still atrocious with Sam, then frank will still get fired

The play calling has not been bad. Not everything is bad playcalling by the coaches.

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Sam is going to make the Colts exciting and fun to watch again. Nobody knows how well he will do against a proper NFL team but a new hope is born in this otherwise completely lackluster franchise. 

And if he is bad we get a high draft pick in a good class. It’s a win win.

Archived