Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 10 Villains of the Indy Colts?

SteelDragon

1. The Football Gods ( the rest are just tools they use)

2. Steelers

3. Patriots and that includes Kraft, Belichek, the Cheater.

4. Chargers with Rivers & Sproles.

5. Luck, for being hurt often and retiring nearly a decade  sooner than expected of most franchise QB's, and that was just before season started.

6. Refs, but could also be listed in #1.

7. The salary cap. The bigger it gets the more difficult it is for a small market teams to compete with teams willing to spend.

8. John Elway. By him refusing to play for us changed the colts for decades. But he too, could have been listed in #1.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about the Chargers Punter in the 2008 playoff game. He pinned us inside 5 at least 3 times I can remember, it became comical at one point.

That would be Mike Scifres, he was real good but often suffered by comparison to Oakland's All Pro punter Shane Lechler.

Scifres had one of his better games against the Raiders in 2014, pinning them deep five times, at their own 2, 4, 6, 8 & 12 yard lines.

OIP.jpeg.69d26baf777aff3013dd2038902566c5.jpeg

You can't put former colts on here.  They may have underperformed or choked even but I'm pretty sure they did the best they could.   Vanderjat had the highest kicking percentage when he left.  he choked in big moments but he is no villain.  Luck gave his all, i would argue that he gave more than he should have to his own detriment.  Richardson didn't have it but that guy loved football.  he played in the mexican football league when he couldn't make it in canada.  None are villians

Josh Mcdaniels heads my list.  The steelers, the pats.  The whole afc east and south.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

I wonder why he was hurt often....

The salary cap is a myth

He was hurt often because taking Linebackers head on and off the field sports like snowboarding.

Salary cap is a myth to teams that want to spend, and the smaller market/ thrifty teams can't or won't spend with them.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He was hurt often because taking Linebackers head on and off the field sports like snowboarding.

Salary cap is a myth to teams that want to spend, and the smaller market/ thrifty teams can't or won't spend with them.

I would think being one of the most sacked/hit QBs every year for the duration of your career would be the leading factor but each to their own.

Just admit bitterness that he retired and move on

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

1. The Football Gods ( the rest are just tools they use)

2. Steelers

3. Patriots and that includes Kraft, Belichek, the Cheater.

4. Chargers with Rivers & Sproles.

5. Luck, for being hurt often and retiring nearly a decade  sooner than expected of most franchise QB's, and that was just before season started.

6. Refs, but could also be listed in #1.

7. The salary cap. The bigger it gets the more difficult it is for a small market teams to compete with teams willing to spend.

8. John Elway. By him refusing to play for us changed the colts for decades. But he too, could have been listed in #1.

Elway’s an interesting one.  If he had agreed to play for the Colts, would they have even left Baltimore?

2 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

Elway’s an interesting one.  If he had agreed to play for the Colts, would they have even left Baltimore?

Also I wonder... since the colts realized they couldn't sign him, why didn't they trade him for Jim Kelly or Dan Marino instead of Mark Hermann? .....surely you would think the bills & dolphins would have been interested in Elway. That is why #1 on my list were the Football Gods lol.

21 hours ago, colts89 said:

Anyone who puts Luck are insanely petty.

I agree, Villains are teams and players and coaches we played against. Putting Andrew Luck on this type of list is comical. People need to get over the fact that the timing of his retirement was bad. If someone wanted put Luck on a most disliked Colts players list, then I could see that. Villain = nope, different definition. 

My most dislike Colts list would be for example:

1. Hank Baskett

2. Jeff George

3. Mike Vanderjagt

-Luck doesn't even make this top 3 IMO.

Top 3 Villains:

1. Patriots (their whole organization in general from Brady to BB to Kraft)

2. Steelers (1995, 2005)

3. Ron Winter (the REF) - in games he officiated we were 1-7 and that was with Peyton, I looked it up and in most of those games we had more penalties than the opposing team + Freeney getting held over and over and no call. The 2008 Chargers playoff game was highway robbery thanks to Mr Winter. The 1 game we won that he did REF was in 2009, our team was so great that year that he couldn't even control that game lmao .

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Also I wonder... since the colts realized they couldn't sign him, why didn't they trade him for Jim Kelly or Dan Marino instead of Mark Hermann? .....surely you would think the bills & dolphins would have been interested in Elway. That is why #1 on my list were the Football Gods lol.

Great questions. It was inevitable the Colts would leave Baltimore, Elway or not. That being said, Elway and his dad didn’t want to go to the Colts because of Bob Irsay’s gross mismanagement , and the fact that they hated Irsay’s hire, Frank Kush. Old man Elway hated Kush. 
There were many other better offers out there for Elway, like the one Dallas had on the table. 
The mistake many teams made were trying to deal conventionally with GM Ernie Accorsi. 
Accorsi wasn’t going to give Elway away, but the problem was he wasn’t the final decision maker. The slick Denver owner knew to deal directly with Bob , and got to him, and totally took him to the cleaners for a paltry return , for a generational player like Elway. 
Elway would have increased attendance in Baltimore , but the stadium issue and bad will between the city of Baltimore and Irsay remained. 
With Bob Irsay and Kush there , the Elway’s were always going to play their poker game. Irsay should have listened to Accorsi, and called Elway’s bluff, and let him flounder in some of the Yankees lower farm systems for a few years. Had Bob done this , Elway may well have played in Indy 2-3 years later. 
That was the final major embarrassment in the great history of the Baltimore Colts. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, Villains are teams and players and coaches we played against. Putting Andrew Luck on this type of list is comical. People need to get over the fact that the timing of his retirement was bad. If someone wanted put Luck on a most disliked Colts players list, then I could see that. Villain = nope, different definition. 

My most dislike Colts list would be for example:

1. Hank Baskett

2. Jeff George

3. Mike Vanderjagt

-Luck doesn't even make this top 3 IMO.

Top 3 Villains:

1. Patriots (their whole organization in general from Brady to BB to Kraft)

2. Steelers (1995, 2005)

3. Ron Winter (the REF) - in games he officiated we were 1-7 and that was with Peyton, I looked it up and in most of those games we had more penalties than the opposing team + Freeney getting held over and over and no call. The 2008 Chargers playoff game was highway robbery thanks to Mr Winter. The 1 game we won that he did REF was in 2009, our team was so great that year that he couldn't even control that game lmao .

I would agree with these and add Walt Coleman, the head referee in the 2003 playoff game Vs. Pats. I have never seen another game where tackling receivers, or throwing them out of bounds while the ball was in the air was allowed.

2 minutes ago, Dunk said:

I would agree with these and add Walt Coleman, the head referee in the 2003 playoff game Vs. Pats. I have never seen another game where tackling receivers, or throwing them out of bounds while the ball was in the air was allowed.

Yeah good ol' Walt lmao . He and Ron Winter make me cringe.

Following the Jets game in 2009, Polian might have been more hated than anyone.  

As far as Colts go, Vanderjagt is a good one.

Bruschi was a punk.  Edelman.  Roethlisberger when younger.  

We had some villains and haters in the media.  At one time, Collinsworth was the greatest Colts hater alive.  At some point, he did a 180.  Deion.  Merrill Hoge hated and hated, but then did a 180 as well.

Archived