Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Raiders Post Game Thoughts

John Waylon

Wentz was * rotten today. He turned a pick into a TD by a stroke of luck, and other than that… oof. 

Look, I’m still on board with him at QB, but the second half of this season absolutely has not inspired the confidence in him that he built with me over the first half. 

I gave frank major props for the way the first half ended. That was great coaching on his part. 

The rest of it was a lot of the same old % that has *awkward pause* put us in this situation time and time and time….

And time and time and time and time again this season. Cutesy nonsense play calling, over reliance on Wentz… 

If we didn’t have the best RB in the league in the backfield what does this offense look like?

ijs

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Why would anybody be surprised that there are negative reactions to this game?

I’m not saying Wentz isn’t the guy but I’m not brimming with confidence in him either. This team has to be carried by JT to win, and at some point it’s gonna be too much to carry. And Reich, I mean I like him as our HC, but it wasn’t a stellar day for him.

Yeah instead of feeling confident that Wentz is going to pull it out, you always worry hes going to hurt us somehow. You’re moreso surpised when he doesnt

3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Gotta disagree with you on this one fam.  People have been getting on Wentz for the last 4 weeks.  Only difference is JT couldn't bail the team out with a big run this game.  Even though he got 100yds, it was only on 20 carries and he didn't break it this game.

Didn’t say anything about Carson. He played a bad game today, we all saw it.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m not saying Wentz isn’t the guy but I’m not brimming with confidence in him either. This team has to be carried by JT to win, and at some point it’s gonna be too much to carry. And Reich, I mean I like him as our HC, but it wasn’t a stellar day for him.

Certain members of the forum hate reading any criticism from other fans, even though the actual banter/criticism I see on this forum is many times more tame then pretty much any other forum/board regarding football that I've ever read.

I'm sure we are in for a week of Wentz bashing but this was a team loss IMO. The oline had some poor blocking and horrible penalties at critical times. Defense and special teams looked awful for much of the game as well. Not to mention some questionable play calling. You're never as good as you think you are and never as bad as you look at times either. We are a PO team but probably not going far in the PO's either. 

Wentz obviously looked very off today and I think the lack of physical practice really hurt him. He didn't look in sync with his WRs. The other consideration is that he was just cleared from the Covid list to play, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have any lingering symptoms. A common one is your mind being a bit foggy, almost like its trudging through mud. He honestly may not have been able to process anywhere near as quickly or accurately as he normally can and it really showed. There were plays where he clearly went through all of his progressions and had to throw it away,and he may have been just a tad too slow on each read to be able to hit the open WR, or would force it to a WR that wasn't exactly open. I know some of this we've seen in spots this season, but it really seemed worse today. Hopefully some more rest and practice will help him get more dialed in for JAX. If we get the same Wentz as we did today, I don't like our chances.

7 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Wentz wasn't good that miss to Hilton was such a back breaker could've been a TD.

I need to watch that play again, but it seemed like TY stutter-stepped and slowed down just a little bit. I think if he had kept running full tilt, he would've been able to make the catch.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Wentz obviously looked very off today and I think the lack of physical practice really hurt him. He didn't look in sync with his WRs. The other consideration is that he was just cleared from the Covid list to play, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have any lingering symptoms. A common one is your mind being a bit foggy, almost like its trudging through mud. He honestly may not have been able to process anywhere near as quickly or accurately as he normally can and it really showed. There were plays where he clearly went through all of his progressions and had to throw it away,and he may have been just a tad too slow on each read to be able to hit the open WR, or would force it to a WR that wasn't exactly open. I know some of this we've seen in spots this season, but it really seemed worse today. Hopefully some more rest and practice will help him get more dialed in for JAX. If we get the same Wentz as we did today, I don't like our chances.

I need to watch that play again, but it seemed like TY stutter-stepped and slowed down just a little bit. I think if he had kept running full tilt, he would've been able to make the catch.

Jax WILL shut down JT. If this Wentz shows up it’s a loss. 

1 minute ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I'm sure we are in for a week of Wentz bashing but this was a team loss IMO. The oline had some poor blocking and horrible penalties at critical times. Defense and special teams looked awful for much of the game as well. Not to mention some questionable play calling. You're never as good as you think you are and never as bad as you look at times either. We are a PO team but probably not going far in the PO's either. 

All losses are team losses. However, some play more of a role. Wentz, Reich, and ST were a major issue today

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Will you ever put the blame onto Wentz where it belongs or are you gonna continue to dance around it every week?

I mean you really see it on pass heavy drives, Carson slings the ball all over the field. 

These games where we go super run heavy he is hardly dropping back except on 3rd and longs and that is when we see errant throws that are high or squeezed into tight windows.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Wentz is not the guy. I've been amusing this hypothesis for a while now. I'm getting more and more convinced in it(and this is coming from someone who wanted Wentz for this team and thought he could be great with Reich again). Every second game you can expect Wentz to either do something completely stupid out of his mind or to not be able to his any open receiver to save his life. And this is not a one off thing... this has been all season long. 

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I have no faith in our passing game. I don't know if they can't get open or Carson just can't find them. I also wonder why we don't use our tight ends more in the passing game.

Because they just aren't that good. Doyle's a better blocker and Mo has questionable hands. Neither have much speed either. Definitely need an improvement at that position.

I’m not going to overreact, but we could have played better.

Raiders looked hungry. Carr can throw the ball.

Wentz looked off, like he hasnt practiced...... oh wait, he hasnt.  He missed some throws.  Plays were left out there.

I’m concerned Carr chewed up our secondary, as we worried good teams in playoffs would.  I still worry about our back-end.

We need to take care of business next week and take it from there.

On the bright side, i was happy we were able to mount the comeback.  Most of out recent games we had early leads.

Today, i think we saw sloppiness in drops, missed passes, missed blocks, and penalties due in part to all the injury/covid missed practices, etc.  i saw some food, and some not so good in this game.

I’m gonna relax and give them the chance to regroup and attack the next game.  
What the heck else am i gonna do?  Break somthin?

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I have no faith in our passing game. I don't know if they can't get open or Carson just can't find them. I also wonder why we don't use our tight ends more in the passing game.

I have the same question. I want to believe that its the WRs that can't get open, because adding WR talent is much easier than QB, but I'm not confident in that...

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

People will never see QB problems when the team is winning. I've been saying it both when we were losing and when we were on our win streak that Wentz is not playing great and this will cost us games. It was the same with Brissett when we were winning.

The rest of the team has been playing out of their mind and Wentz still has enough flashes to fool you he might be the guy, but his bad games are just way too frequent. He's a trailer, not the engine. And we are stuck with him for the next 3 years most probably. It's not the worst QB situation in the league, but it is not great set up for legit contention. Just way too many things have to be just right for us to carry Wentz through his slow processing, inaccuracy and sometimes mind-bogglingly stupid plays. 

Oh, nail on the head with the Brissett line. I remember fighting the good fight with you in the first half of that season (now watch people take your post as a Wentz and Brissett comparison, completely missing the point).

Nothing to add to your second paragraph. Couldn’t have said it better.

1 minute ago, bsteves said:

I mean you really see it on pass heavy drives, Carson slings the ball all over the field. 

These games where we go super run heavy he is hardly dropping back except on 3rd and longs and that is when we see errant throws that are high or squeezed into tight windows.

You nailed it here. That’s on coaches.

9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Blew it now they will have to play Kansas City in the first game of the playoffs possibly 

If we win, we are in. I don’t see the Raiders beating the Chargers. 

We still wouldn’t likely play the Chiefs until the AFC Championship game as it likely now becomes:

1.) Titans

2.) Chiefs

3.) Bengals

4.) Bills

5.) Patriots

6.) Colts

7.) Chargers

The good news is that we either play the Titans or the winner of the Bills/Pats in the 2nd round IF we somehow manage to beat the Bengals

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well a Week without practice makes ya sloppy

Missing practice may have hurt him a bit, but the problem is he starting a very mediocre base line. 

Players miss practice, it's week 17 he should be ready to come out and play. He is not good enough to overcome what would have been a minor setback to many players. 

The thing with Wentz is how inaccurate he has been. He will make spectacular plays here or there and miss easy passes (by nfl standards). 

He seemed to be getting into rhythm after the 0-3 start, and was throwing with pin point accuracy for a few games. But that play has gone off a cliff the last month and a half. 

I have hopes for Wentz, but I cant stand his footwork. Its so bad it makes me cringe and I can't help but blame his inaccuracy on his footwork which has been consistently atrocious this season. 

I can't help but think he is undisciplined and then he goes and throws a hail Mary that bounces into TYs hands for a TD. He had 15 yards of open field and goes for a hail mary for literally no reason at all that should have been knocked away or picked. Which is just undisciplined. 

That worries me going forward. 

The fan in me wants his success. The critic in me worries if this continues how long will Colts stick it out with him? 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is what lost us the game. This in a nutshell. Horrible awful playcalling not mixing things up.

He had 27 passes to 26 runs.  That’s almost perfect balance.  That is the very definition of mixing things up.  Yes they got conservative at the end and the screen pass is this years Hines up the gut play in that it never works but Frank is going to call it until it does but Wentz badly over throwing a wide open TY on what’s probably a TD is the bigger issue.

Wentz didn’t play well today at all and was off all day.  His timing wasn’t there as much as people don’t want to hear this that’s a direct result of missing practice.  If those practices didn’t matter by the end of the year teams wouldn’t do them because everyone is banged up this time of year and could use the rest.  So clearly they do matter.

I also add the defense was awful about getting off the field today and was very sloppy tacking.  Another sign of guys missing practice and just in general being off because guys weren’t there.  

1 minute ago, wordofmouth said:

Missing practice may have hurt him a bit, but the problem is he starting a very mediocre base line. 

Players miss practice, it's week 17 he should be ready to come out and play. He is not good enough to overcome what would have been a minor setback to many players. 

How about coaches mix the playcalkinf up to keep the offense in the passing game going. If anyone didn’t see the bad predictable play calling today I don’t know what to say.

Archived