Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Raiders Post Game Thoughts

John Waylon

How does a supposed “limited” 2nd year QB like Hurts have the Eagles sitting at 9-7 just like the Colts?  Don’t we have 7 pro bowlers?  We are underachieving terribly.  Led the league in All Pro players last year & pro bowlers this year and still can’t win our division…. This is frustrating. 

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Oh, nail on the head with the Brissett line. I remember fighting the good fight with you in the first half of that season (now watch people take your post as a Wentz and Brissett comparison, completely missing the point).

Nothing to add to your second paragraph. Couldn’t have said it better.

For the record - I think Wentz is a better QB than Brissett. But the fan attitude toward him on the back of team wins is similar. Noone is seeing how poorly he plays, how late he is with TONS of his throws, how he misses open receivers, how inaccurate he is... they see the W and move on. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is why I don’t want Taylor to have 30 carries. Your passing game becomes stain. You have to stay balanced and mix it up.

They did, again 27 passes to 26 runs.  That’s darn near perfect balance.  Taylor had 20 runs which is the magic number you want for him.  The difference was an inaccurate Wentz and a defense that was sloppy and couldn’t get off the field.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you have a trap game in a win or go home vs the worst team in the league you have major issues.

Uh, frank is 0-3 by a total score of 40 to 71 in Jacksonville. 

Can’t imagine why anyone would be looking at that game like 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886rhyisy6oljwxzag6mv

/s 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He had 27 passes to 26 runs.  That’s almost perfect balance.  That is the very definition of mixing things up.  Yes they got conservative at the end and the screen pass is this years Hines up the gut play in that it never works but Frank is going to call it until it does but Wentz badly over throwing a wide open TY on what’s probably a TD is the bigger issue.

Wentz didn’t play well today at all and was off all day.  His timing wasn’t there as much as people don’t want to hear this that’s a direct result of missing practice.  If those practices didn’t matter by the end of the year teams wouldn’t do them because everyone is banged up this time of year and could use the rest.  So clearly they do matter.

I also add the defense was awful about getting off the field today and was very sloppy tacking.  Another sign of guys missing practice and just in general being off because guys weren’t there.  

You can't just look at those numbers and say that though. There was a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long passing instead of passing on 1st down when it's easier to get completions. Don't like how we seem to get so predictable with the play calling at times. It's amost always run, run pass.

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

How does a supposed “limited” 2nd year QB like Hurts have the Eagles sitting at 9-7 just like the Colts?  Don’t we have 7 pro bowlers?  We are underachieving terribly.  Led the league in All Pro players last year & pro bowlers this year and still can’t win our division…. This is frustrating. 

It's because QB is still the most important position in football by a huge margin and when you have mediocrity there, it drags your otherwise strongly playing team down. 

Just now, Shive said:

I have the same question. I want to believe that its the WRs that can't get open, because adding WR talent is much easier than QB, but I'm not confident in that...

That's why I want to see how Wentz does next year. Ballard needs to retool at least some of the receiving weapons next year, and Wentz having an actual offseason with his weapons should help. He's never going to be the guy who is known for his decision making like Manning , but he does have talent . It's a matter of answering why he is inconsistent at times and if that can be improved/dampened.

The Colts haven't had a solid group of WRs for a while now. Before Pittman, we had a prime TY back in 2018, and then before him our best receiving weapon has been either Jack Doyle/Ebron for a year.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He might be but i dont see how that is relevant.  The way i saw that play, TY did nothing wrong

He was wide open against a zone and slowed down like he is supposed to do in that situation 

Just saying it doesn't matter. So what if we get to playoffs,  with Wentz we're not going very far. 

Just now, Coltsfan98 said:

You can't just look at those numbers and say that though. There was a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long passing instead of passing on 1st down when it's easier to get completions. Don't like how we seem to get so predictable with the play calling at times. It's amost always run, run pass.

You don’t end up with one more pass to run if you just run run pass.  If that were the case you would have twice as many runs as passes.  So that theory is false.

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I believe he is supposed to do that when is he is that wide open against a zone in that part of the field

When I saw the play, it looked like that stutter step was an adjustment with the ball in the air that he just mis-judged. I could be definitely be wrong though and I don't think that takes away from Wentz needing to have been more accurate with the throw.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t end up with one more pass to run if you just run run pass.  If that were the case you would have twice as many runs as passes.  So that theory is false.

I know but when you have a second down run with a holding call and then have to throw it on 2nd and 3rd and ong it's usually not going to end well. But oh look it's a balanced run/pass ratio.

15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

you have to be able to throw the ball to win in this league .   what happens if the colts play the bengals or the bills ?  if taylor does not take over the game and wentz has to score 30 plus to win he cant do it .   colts threw the ball almost 50 times against the titans for under 200 yards passing with multiple picks .   you cant go 16 games with your QB only throwing over 300 yards twice jacoby did more than that and had a better completion percentage . 

Exactly.

Regardless of who are playoff opponent will be, we will be at a DISADVANTAGE at the QB POSITION and the passing game in general.

Mahomes, Burroughs, Josh Allen, Herbert,maybe even the rook from New England. 

Our OL & JT will have to carry us along with good playcalling and decisions from Frank.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is why I don’t want Taylor to have 30 carries. Your passing game becomes stain. You have to stay balanced and mix it up.

27 to 26 rush to pass ratio with JT having 22 of those. This game was lost for many reason, but for once, Balance wasn’t one of them

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I cry foul because the fan base constantly over reacts. 

We have a small fan base.

We have an uninformed fan base. 

We have a bad fan base.  

Congratulations!   Keep defending them!   :thmup:

Weird.

Nothing is wrong with the Colts at all huh? Last time I checked, they still haven’t made the playoffs this season AND HAVENT won their division since 2014…

Just now, colts89 said:

That's why I want to see how Wentz does next year. Ballard needs to retool at least some of the receiving weapons next year, and Wentz having an actual offseason with his weapons should help. He's never going to be the guy who is known for his decision making like Manning , but he does have talent . It's a matter of answering why he is inconsistent at times and if that can be improved/dampened.

The Colts haven't had a solid group of WRs for a while now. Before Pittman, we had a prime TY back in 2018, and then before him our best receiving weapon has been either Jack Doyle/Ebron for a year.

it would help getting better weapons but i still think wentz is never gonna be a 70 percent completion QB  he misses a lot of wide open guys even check downs he overthrows .    he creates his own sacks at times  , QBs have split second to throw when a guy is open wentz holds on the ball until they get covered .  he goes through his progression really slow and ends up walking into a sack .  elite QBs can throw guys open they release the ball before a guy is out of their break . wentz has to see a guy wide open to throw it or just forces it to avoid holding it .

1 minute ago, Shive said:

When I saw the play, it looked like that stutter step was an adjustment with the ball in the air that he just mis-judged. I could be definitely be wrong though and I don't think that takes away from Wentz needing to have been more accurate with the throw.

Id like to see another replay myself.  they were quick to move on from that in the broadcast 

they focused on Tys and Carson's reaction more than the play 

Just now, Coltsfan98 said:

I know but when you have a second down run with a holding call and then have to throw it on 2nd and 3rd and ong it's usually not going to end well. But oh look it's a balanced run/pass ratio.

The Colts had two holds today that didn’t impact things nearly as much as you are implying.

I just love how people were drooling over Wentz all week and yesterday. Then now, he’s crap. Some people need to get a grip. Wentz was off today, but he’s generally been on during the season. We don’t need a QB change at this venture. Geez

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Exactly.

Regardless of who are playoff opponent will be, we will be at a DISADVANTAGE at the QB POSITION and the passing game in general.

Mahomes, Burroughs, Josh Allen, Herbert,maybe even the rook from New England. 

Our OL & JT will have to carry us along with good playcalling and decisions from Frank.

this is why the vikings were bad even though peterson would rush for 2000 yards you need balance to win in this league .   unless the colts had the 2015 broncos defense its gonna be hard going into kc  without a passing game and winning

27 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

- Special teams was BAD today.  Raiders seemed like they had good field position all game outside of a couple of drives

- Wentz, what was that!?  Bad decision after bad decision.  Bad throw after bad throw.  I don't know if it's because he didn't practice or what but that was just plain out BAD.  I think JB would've did a better job today than Wentz.  He got lucky with that TD and that was it.  Nothing else.

- JT did what JT does.  He should've been involved more.  Playoff clinching game and he has 20 carries.  He avg'ed as many yards a carry as Wentz did a throw.

- OL was mediocre.  Not good, not bad.  Raiders were getting pressure but I put that on Wentz running down the playclock and horrible playcalling

- I think the defense played good enough.  We gave up chunks and big plays but they made up for it with the turnovers, speaking of turnovers

- ZERO POINTS OFF OF 2 TURNOVERS!  We score just TWO FGs off of those and we're in the lead on that last drive.  It's a 26-20 game instead of 20-20. 

- Reich, the playcalling cannot be this bad towards the end of the season.  Why does he refuse to use Hines as a WR?  That final drive where we threw 2 screens to him is the best we can do with him?  Not going to believe it for one second.  Whatever call Ballard made to make Reich start running the ball more he needs to make the same for Hines.  We're paying him like an all-purpose player and using him as a 3-trick pony: up the gut run, screen, or reverse

Just bad.  This was a game with a playoff atmosphere and we just played bad.  Not happy after that loss.  Reich and Wentz supporters, sit this one out please.

This is the best comment I’ve read, mainly because of the Hines points. We’re paying this guy like a top 10 RB and he seldom impacts a game. It’s clear our WRs are average at best — let Hines run some routes and create space. Pitt is easy to take away because he’s not a burner at all and the other WRs are replacement level. Free Hines! 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I just love how people were drooling over Wentz all week and yesterday. Then now, he’s crap. Some people need to get a grip. Wentz was off today, but he’s generally been on during the season. We don’t need a QB change at this venture. Geez

Not now. Next year though

Just now, rockywoj said:

My key takeaway, last Colts drive at the absolute most critical times, Hines is being called upon instead of Taylor.  Reich’s play calling costs the team yet another win.

Frank didn’t over throw guys all day, including a wide open TY on what’s probably a game sealing TD.  Frank didn’t lose the battle up front and let the Raiders make Wentz uncomfortable all day.  Frank didn’t miss key tackle after key tackle and couldn’t get off the field on third down.  This blaming the coaches when there were key player screw ups is getting old.   Could Frank been more aggressive on that last series of downs?  Sure.  Was he the only reason the Colts lost and the person you can solo point the finger at?  Not even close.

35 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Reich did have some questionable play calling. We can't throw a screen to save our lives. Those quick outs to the sideline too, we don't execute them all at all. 

What's the playoff machine look like? I don't think it's a win and in anymore. Who has to lose? 

Win and we are in, regardless.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah over reaction.  These post game threads are becoming an extension of the game day thread in that they are emotional reactions that I don’t think most will have the same opinions once they cool down.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

One play doesn’t make the entire game. We never should of been in that position if play calling had been better earlier.

That "one" play makes it 24-13 Colts with 14 minutes left to play...

You defend Carson with all the willpower in your body

Just now, teganslaw said:

I haven't read most of the threads, not dealing with so overreaction and negativity.  All I'll say is that almost everyone underestimated the Raiders. 

This is very true, which is I think is adding to peoples reactions.  Rather than seeing the Raiders as a legit playoff level team a lot of people here, including myself, expected a cake walk.

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

My key takeaway, last Colts drive at the absolute most critical times, Hines is being called upon instead of Taylor.  Reich’s play calling costs the team yet another win.

I don't know, the only thing that makes play calling bad is when the plays don't work. 

There is no guarantee another would have worked either.  Hines is a weapon we have to use him more not less. 

Archived