Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Raiders Post Game Thoughts

John Waylon

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You knew this would be coming, Wentz is a lot better than Jacoby and Iiked JB. If we win next week we are in because of what has taken place today. Next week the Raiders play the Chargers so that will eliminate one of them with a loss. Ravens and Dolphins both have 8 losses too. We have most of the tiebreakers which is critical. 

i dont get whats wrong with wentz i watched him in 2017 he was making quick reads and throwing guys open .   he has regressed he is not terrible at all but cant throw to win games for the colts .  i see him this year as alex smith level guy who is solid but when the game is on the line he cant come through .  i really wanted wentz to work with the colts bad i was so happy we got a younger gun slinger since luck retired .  i just thought as the season go on he would keep improving but he is not .   maybe he gets going and colts go on a run in the playoffs .

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes everyone has a right to complain, today was disappointing. I take the goods with the bad, we win next week we are still in because of tiebreakers. Then we will take it from there. We only have 1 SB win but have made the playoffs 80% of the time over the last 20 years, we are OK.

The Colts have 2 Superbowl wins and three Nfl Championships prior....the Colts didn't start in Indy, lol!

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Watching Wentz play today makes me realize how much I miss Rivers

rivers struggled to badly at times , i miss luck and peyton we got spoiled with great QB play for 20 years .  i think thats why its tough watching average QB play now its painful knowing your QB cant just take over games .

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

But during the game he kept dialing up pass plays instead of going run heavy like he did vs the Texans.  That Carson throw last week got him think Carson was the MVP (2017 version) again….  He had 7 yards passing before the Raiders went prevent and gave him the free yards before halftime.  Take away the answered prayer TD to Hilton and he was absolutely dreadful. 

It was 26 runs to 27 passes

That ratio wasn't the problem at all

JT and Frank are the convenient excuses to push the blame away from the QB

This game is on Carson all the way

They don't run enough

They don't throw enough

Frank's too aggressive, Frank's too comfortable

Reich has a system limited by an average quarterback

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Indeed you are

Still waiting for you to name the fan bases that are any better in your high and mighty opinion 

Clearly you know everything so lets hear it.

Green Bay,  Pittsburgh,  San Francisco, Seattle,  NY Giants, Cleveland, Chicago.   There are very few I wouldn’t put ahead of our fan base. 

You’re free to disagree.  

Wentz is not the long term answer at QB. I hope everybody sees this now. Stupid decision after stupid decision. Inaccurate for the most part all day. You know, same stuff that has plagued him the entire season.  He's had flashes here and there, but not going to go anywhere in playoffs with him.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Green Bay,  Pittsburgh,  San Francisco, Seattle,  NY Giants, Cleveland, Chicago.   There are very few I wouldn’t put ahead of our fan base. 

You’re free to disagree.  

You think they dont do this after a loss?

Look at literally any of their sub reddits to see otherwise.   

It was trick question because every teams sub  does this when they lose.  every single one 

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

But during the game he kept dialing up pass plays instead of going run heavy like he did vs the Texans.  That Carson throw last week got him thinking Carson was the MVP (2017 version) again….  He had 7 yards passing before the Raiders went prevent and gave him the free yards before halftime.  Take away the answered prayer TD to Hilton and he was absolutely dreadful. 

No he didn’t. Go back and watch. He was running on first and second and Taylor was not getting much most of the time. So when Wentz threw we it was 3rd and long. We were terrible on first and second down.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You knew this would be coming, Wentz is a lot better than Jacoby and Iiked JB. If we win next week we are in because of what has taken place today. Next week the Raiders play the Chargers so that will eliminate one of them with a loss. Ravens and Dolphins both have 8 losses too. We have most of the tiebreakers which is critical. 

At his post-game presser,  Frank said he had just been told that next week if we win, we’re in.   That we control our own fate.  We don’t have to rely on anyone else to win or lose. 

I’ll take that.   If we can’t beat the Jags, we don’t deserve a spot in the playoffs.  

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

But during the game he kept dialing up pass plays instead of going run heavy like he did vs the Texans.  That Carson throw last week got him thinking Carson was the MVP (2017 version) again….  He had 7 yards passing before the Raiders went prevent and gave him the free yards before halftime.  Take away the answered prayer TD to Hilton and he was absolutely dreadful. 

the problem is on a lot of the first down carries taylor gets stuffed on the first two runs then its 3rd down and the colts were like 3 of 11 on third downs .   the run game only works well when taylors gets at least 4 or 5 yards on first down runs . 

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

rivers struggled to badly at times , i miss luck and peyton we got spoiled with great QB play for 20 years .  i think thats why its tough watching average QB play now its painful knowing your QB cant just take over games .

Rivers led us to an 11-5 record and carried us at times during the season.

Every QB struggles at times, Mahommes, Brady, etc.

He's been far better than Wentz

- Its a bit alarming that Wentz has not played well or anything spectacular for the better parts of the last four games now.  His two biggest issues are accuracy and getting affected too easy with pressure by staying in the pocket too long and/or holding on to the ball too long.  I hate to say it, but the franchise is going to be stuck in this fringe playoff, wild card  group until they get better, more consistent play from the QB position (whether is Wentz or someone else).  

- I don't understand why Reich does not do more to play to Wentz's strengths such as going up tempo, bootlegs on deep patterns, getting him out on the perimeter in space on more pass attempts.  I think that part of Carson's problems stem from Reich's stubbornness that he (Wentz) is an elite QB without weaknesses in his game and does not adjust the pass game play calling, philosophies appropriately.   

- The lack of pass rush continues to kill the defense.  After a shaky first drive, they played well for most of the game, but folded in the 4th quarter.  The Raiders 4th down TD and 3rd and long conversion (TD that was called back) were plays that should have/could have been disrupted with a better pass rush.  This is an Achilles heel for the defense which also needs to be addressed if the team is to take that next step.  

- Final point is question for everyone which I ask out of nothing more than curiosity: Do you think our record is better, worse or the same if Phillip Rivers did not retire and came back as the starter?

4 minutes ago, tvturner said:

This game is on Carson all the way

They don't run enough

They don't throw enough

Frank's too aggressive, Frank's too comfortable

Reich has a system limited by an average quarterback

Go back and watch and see how many passes were on third and long after JT didn’t get much on first and second. That is what you call predicable. It looks balanced but it wasn’t balanced at all. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Can we stop with hot and cold takes after every game. One game doesn’t make a QB. Looks to me it hurt worse then we thought it would with him missing practice.

The only hot takes on Wentz were the ones stating he was "the guy" after a single decent stretch of games.

Everyone knows the FO will stick with Wentz, fair enough, but it's absurd how many people quickly crowned him after a single decent stretch of games. Realistically, we're no closer in figuring out if Wentz is actually someone who can take us places or if, as is more realistic, he will have us treading water as a decent at best team if the rest of the roster is really good. Ie: He's a middling QB.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the problem is on a lot of the first down carries taylor gets stuffed on the first two runs then its 3rd down and the colts were like 3 of 11 on third downs .   the run game only works well when taylors gets at least 4 or 5 yards on first down runs . 

Thank you. Reich should of called mirr pass plays on first and second.  First and second downs toast were predictable and awful calls.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

rivers was never a long term answer we needed to try other options we may have to look at 2023 QBs and trade up .

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Two very different QBs at the stage in their careers that they played for the Colts and what they'd bring to the offense. Our record would be similar with either of them imho as we would still be a run first team regardless.

I was going to quote someone but I don't want anyone to feel that he/she is being singled out.

As you all know, fans have a lot of emotional investment in their teams. All Colts fans were hoping for a win. You all share disappointment, some more than others.  If a fan perceives another fan as not allowing them to vent, they will react against that. Let's not be so tough on other fans.

Maybe it is best not to quote someone when you make your point to maintain some civility. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Go back and watch and see how many passes were on third and long after JT didn’t get much on first and second. That is what you call predicable. It looks balanced but it wasn’t balanced at all. 

If Wentz could hit the open receivers when they actually get open it'd help

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

At his post-game presser,  Frank said he had just been told that next week if we win, we’re in.   That we control our own fate.  We don’t have to rely on anyone else to win or lose. 

I’ll take that.   If we can’t beat the Jags, we don’t deserve a spot in the playoffs.  

Yeah that is correct, more than likely we may end up a #7 but I could care less after starting 1-4 :thmup:. I am disappointed in today's loss but for some reason we looked like we were sleep walking. 

This isn't a perfect example because Rodgers had to miss 10 days but to compare their first games back

Rodgers: 62% 292 yards 0 tds and 1 int passer rating 75.5

Wentz: 59% 146 yards, 1 td, 0 int, passer rating 86.6

Now if Rodgers missing practice led to one of his worst performances, some of y'all expecting Wentz to come in and play good to great is just not realistic and Rodgers has a top 5 WR in Adams

39 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frank didn’t over throw guys all day, including a wide open TY on what’s probably a game sealing TD.  Frank didn’t lose the battle up front and let the Raiders make Wentz uncomfortable all day.  Frank didn’t miss key tackle after key tackle and couldn’t get off the field on third down.  This blaming the coaches when there were key player screw ups is getting old.   Could Frank been more aggressive on that last series of downs?  Sure.  Was he the only reason the Colts lost and the person you can solo point the finger at?  Not even close.

I did not say all the other stuff you identified didn’t happen, but to me, it speaks VOLUMES that at the most critical moments of the game, Reich opts to take out the most dangerous offensive weapon the Colts have, in favour of an inferior player.  At critical moments the best step up.  It’s unfathomable that Reich tends to take JT out in such situations.  Hence, my key takeaway remains, Reich makes hugely questionable decisions at the worst of times.

To your points, all that other stuff, that would’ve rendered Reich’s critical moment as not a moment at all.  So yeah, I wish Wentz wouldn’t keep missing, and all the rest of the stuff you reference.  I simply cannot accept, though, just like I couldn’t accept earlier in the year, JT is too often not leaned on in the absolute critical moments you need him in.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I was going to quote someone but I don't want anyone to feel that he/she is being singled out.

As you all know, fans have a lot of emotional investment in their teams. All Colts fans were hoping for a win. You all share disappointment, some more than others.  If a fan perceives another fan as not allowing them to vent, they will react against that. Let's not be so tough on other fans.

Maybe it is best not to quote someone when you make your point to maintain some civility. 

Spider-Man GIF

3 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I hear you but I'm not making excuses for him.  Not gonna make them for Frank either.  The balance is an issue because Wentz completed under 60% of his passes and was only averaging a little over 5 yards per attempt.  That is dreadful QB play.  Take away that answered prayer to TY and those numbers are even worse.  

So it’s ok to get out of balance as long as the balance is skewed towards running the ball.  That’s where Frank has to improve as a coach.  Recognizing what’s needed to win these games against the better teams and having the humility to go run heavy.  Maybe I’m being too hard on Frank and like earlier in the season, he was making good play calls but Wentz just wasn’t getting the ball out on time to his open receivers?

But let’s say that is the case.  Then shouldn’t Frank recognize that’s happening again and make the adjustments.  Insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting different results.  When Wentz is off we must go heavy with the running game.  

Archived