Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Raiders Post Game Thoughts

John Waylon

On 1/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, IndySouthsider said:

This team has 7 Pro Bowlers and 4 All Pros. They are a SB caliber team except at the most important position.

Seven Pro Bowlers and 4 All Pros does not mean you have a SB caliber team. I can think of many teams that have dominated the pro bowl with players but that doesn’t necessarily equate to Super Bowl team. We’re missing about four key ingredients to get to the next level, a top wide receiver, a top pass rusher, a top tight end, and a top quarterback. IMHO

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, tncoltsfan57 said:

Seven Pro Bowlers and 4 All Pros does not mean you have a SB caliber team. I can think of many teams that have dominated the pro bowl with players but that doesn’t necessarily equate to Super Bowl team. We’re missing about four key ingredients to get to the next level, a top wide receiver, a top pass rusher, a top tight end, and a top quarterback. IMHO

We aren’t missing a QB. The rest you are right. We can win a SB with Carson.  Where is this QB tree that you go pick a QB off of. There are maybe 5 or 6 elite quarterbacks. Colt fans have been so damn spoiled with 2 number one picks at QB.

40 minutes ago, tncoltsfan57 said:

Not asking for much are ya? Jesus does that team exist today? 

So basically tease JT for some serious picks or players because an elite RB is just not needed? (For the confused, this isn’t serious)

15 hours ago, DeepseaColt said:

Once Wentz and our O-line got healthy we became one of the scariest teams in the league

I think what we are doing is risky, the best team are winning consistently with a passing game

Colts and titans are going against the grain, we will see how it works out. i have a hard time believing carson can take a team far in the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think what we are doing is risky, the best team are winning consistently with a passing game

Colts and titans are going against the grain, we will see how it works out. i have a hard time believing carson can take a team far in the playoffs 

We just need one more dynamic WR and TE. I think both teams can win running the ball but also need to be able to be dynamic in the pass game.

24 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

But are you sold on Tannehill?

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

What we are doing is not the preference.   But truly great quarterbacks are unicorns.   There aren’t enough to satisfy the 32 teams of the NFL.  Not even close.  But you don’t get to opt out because you don’t have a franchise quarterback.  Most teams don’t have a great one. 

So you try to get the best QB you can and try to coach him up to minimize risk and maximize opportunity.   You surround that guy with the best team you can and take your chances.   

This wasn’t the plan when Ballard interviewed Frank in January of 18.   They didn’t set out to have a run heavy offense like this.  This became the plan out of necessity.  You gotta do the best you can with what you can get.

If someday Ballard is fortunate enough to acquire a great quarterback again, we will throw more often as we did under Luck in 2018.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

What we are doing is not the preference.   But truly great quarterbacks are unicorns.   There aren’t enough to satisfy the 32 teams of the NFL.  Not even close.  But you don’t get to opt out because you don’t have a franchise quarterback.  Most teams don’t have a great one. 

So you try to get the best QB you can and try to coach him up to minimize risk and maximize opportunity.   You surround that guy with the best team you can and take your chances.   

This wasn’t the plan when Ballard interviewed Frank in January of 18.   They didn’t set out to have a run heavy offense like this.  This became the plan out of necessity.  You gotta do the best you can with what you can get.

If someday Ballard is fortunate enough to acquire a great quarterback again, we will throw more often as we did under Luck in 2018.   

Reasonable post and I get what you are saying.  I was kind of hoping for a rookie over Carson, that would have been Jones or Fields looking at how the draft played out.  That would have probably cost more picks but less money, while obviously being younger than CW

They are very different from each other and both need time to grow into the league, we probably have a better offense than either of them do now though.  Bonus points for taking the patriots guy right in front of them.  I am also an Alabama fan

21 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Reasonable post and I get what you are saying.  I was kind of hoping for a rookie over Carson, that would have been Jones or Fields looking at how the draft played out.  That would have probably cost more picks but less money, while obviously being younger than CW

They are very different from each other and both need time to grow into the league, we probably have a better offense than either of them do now though.  Bonus points for taking the patriots guy right in front of them.  I am also an Alabama fan

to get mack jones colts would of needed to trade up to spot 14  to jump in front of the pats   .    i think giving up a 1st and a 3rd round pick could of worked  .   at the very least maybe a 1st and a 2nd but mack jones would thrive in franks system he loves short passing plays and to run the ball . 

7 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I can't argue with that but I will say that playoff games are traditionally "slower" paced and teams like the Colts and Titans are built for that. Even Tampa turned into somewhat of a run team in the playoffs. I don't know how far Wentz can take a team in the playoffs since we really haven't seen it but I believe he's got the talent. 

On 1/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, coltsfan_canada said:

@EastStreet

Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

too slow to ask whats your thoughts. 

Juking Jonathan Taylor GIF by Indianapolis Colts

RTDB!!! if your QB is giving same average with arms vs your RB is giving same average with legs I would take RB JT all day long

lol... I'm just getting back into the swing things after a very tiring couple weeks. I'll pop back in after a full re-watch. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:52 AM, Wentzszn said:

Rivers has better pass protection last season.

Or is the pass protection actually better this season?

Wentz, who holds onto the ball MUCH longer than Rivers did, is still one of the least sacked. 2nd fewest (25) i believe going into our last game.
  So please explain that.
    Of course, if you get rid of the ball as quickly as Rivers did, you Masked the problems Kelly, Glow, and certainly Smith had maintaining blocks.

Again you find excuse, when the question is a simple point that Wentz isn't hitting quick passes 10+ yards downfield like any decent QB should do several times a game.  SOMEBODY out there has to be in a one on one situation and getting leverage SOMETIMES! Even in tight coverage if you throw it in front of the receiver on time it is a high % throw. 
  QB's that do this often have games where they complete 70+ % of their passes. Our hero is down around 59% over the last 9 games i recall someone posting.

That is Dudsville! He ain't "FIXED" YET.  

20 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We aren’t missing a QB. The rest you are right. We can win a SB with Carson.  Where is this QB tree that you go pick a QB off of. There are maybe 5 or 6 elite quarterbacks. Colt fans have been so damn spoiled with 2 number one picks at QB.

Carson hasn't shown me anything to make me believe that he can outscore three quality Playoff teams in a Row. 
 Take a look at who the winning SB QB's have been over the last 20 years.
I do hope we get all the weapons we think he (and Frank) needs to help him become more consistent.   

56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Carson hasn't shown me anything to make me believe that he can outscore three quality Playoff teams in a Row. 
 Take a look at who the winning SB QB's have been over the last 20 years.
I do hope we get all the weapons we think he (and Frank) needs to help him become more consistent.   

Could be but Tannehill hasn't shown me anything to make me believe that he can outscore three quality teams either and they will be the #1 seed, doesn't say much about the league haha . Mahomes is the only one you can trust in the AFC realistically. Even you can't trust Allen, we beat them 41-15. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be but Tannehill hasn't shown me anything to make me believe that he can outscore three quality teams either and they will be the #1 seed, doesn't say much about the league haha . Mahomes is the only one you can trust in the AFC realistically. Even you can't trust Allen, we beat them 41-15. 

You are right here. Mahomes is the only consistant one that will be in playoffs. Burrow is still up and down. Same with Allen.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:52 AM, Wentzszn said:

Rivers has better pass protection last season.

Honestly you look at Rivers and Wentz’s numbers on Pro football reference. I would take Wentz’s year over Rivers. Sure his yards and percentage is lower but Wentz has way less interceptions and more touchdowns. Which 62% isn’t bad either

38 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The defense can use an upgrade as well, especially edge rushers hardly getting to the QB. And that's one of the difference in the game, that allow Carr make those throws consistently and made Hunter look like a pro bowler.

Edge rush is how you close out games. That has been the major issue with blowing 4th quarter leads.

Some of the media from NE said pats didn’t complete anything over 20 yards and still beat them 50-10. He said it was like a practice. Mike Chappell made a good point. How hard will jags play because who wants to play hard and get injured and spend all off season rehabbing when they aren’t going anywhere and it’s the last game of season.

I think my biggest takeaway from this game was how bad the Colts need their own version of Hunter Renfrow. And all you have to do is watch his first catch on Kenny to know why.

The dude runs such crispy routes its ridiculous. He is the guy you can go to on 3rd down, whether its a short or intermediate situation, and you just know that hes going to be open and if you give him a catchable ball, hes moving those chains every single time. He can also get behind you if you arent careful and is sneaky quick, as he showed on his final catch of the game. He reminds me so much of a prime Wes Welker its not even funny. Just a hell of a football player and somebody I admire the heck out of. 

And the funny thing is, you can get those guys in the middle rounds, they are rarely drafted high. The fans on here are in love with those blue chippers at the top of the draft, and for good reason. But that isnt the only way to find what you need. The Colts need to be digging deep in the draft to find a sleeper like Renfrow.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, Wentzszn said:

I hate being right all the time!

Archived