Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

Just now, Thunderbolt said:

What makes the Colts OL suck? It's HC and assistance that can't coach. They need to start coaching better. 

Injuries.  Fisher was taking his first snaps as a Colt.  Kelly and Nelson both missed a lot of time in camp.  Smith is hurt.  They haven’t jelled.  When you’re o-line hasn’t jelled they don’t play well.  I said a few weeks ago the Colts were very likely to start slow because of all the injuries in camp and referenced the year Manning missed camp and the pre-season and the Colts started 3-4 as a result.  Wentz has surpassed my expectations of him despite missing so much time but I still think the Colts just had too many key guys miss too much time to not have a slow start.  Hopefully the Colts put it together and over come it.  

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Frank can be Vince Lombardi but until he gets a QB like Luck or Rivers he won't win consistently, that is reality. When he had Luck we were 10-6 and won a playoff game, with Rivers 11-5. Give Belichick JB or Wentz throughout his career and see how he does. I actually think Wentz can be good but he is too injury prone. People in here were whaling on me when I said Campbell was injury prone too and wouldn't play half the season, and look he couldn't even play today. I bet Wentz is out 4 weeks - just a gut feeling.

Dude... 

Wentz played out of his mind so far. 

Reich will never be Lombardi. That's like a top of the mountain hot take.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah at some point you have to realize just because you “should” be able too you aren’t.  

Like I said in another post I would have liked to have seen the play they used later in the game when they brought Taylor into the game and sent Hines out wide and made a quick pass to Doyle for a nice gain.  Taylor and Hines drew so much attention as decoys that would have been the perfect play for the goal-line.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Sounds an awful lot like “cute plays” to me. You cant run it up the gut and win, you’re in bad shape regardless.

Ha ok bud. Why even have other skill players or good QB’s, just run the damn ball right? Man I can’t wait until the future and offenses start getting creative and using the forward pass. It’ll be exciting.

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Exactly.

Ha ok bud. Why even have other skill players or good QB’s, just run the damn ball right? Man I can’t wait until the future and offenses start getting creative and using the forward pass. It’ll be exciting.

Ok. You’re right. Being unable to get a handful of yards three times is absolutely the recipe for success. I’ll reserve your spot in Canton.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The oline is missing its two starting Ts.  IOW, the two most important positions on the Oline.

Last season, the oline started poorly and had everybody except our LT.  Once AC came in, the oline then looked the part again.

Huh? Fisher played today they're only missing smith at RT

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The oline is missing its two starting Ts.  IOW, the two most important positions on the Oline.

Last season, the oline started poorly and had everybody except our LT.  Once AC came in, the oline then looked the part again.

Th Oline is the key to this team. They r basically playing with below average players at the  left and right tackle position. I think if u had s healthy Smith and Fisher, u would have had different results.  How did Mahomes look in the superbowl when he lost 2 starters in a week along the Oline?  I am excited bout Wentz, play and I hope he is not out for long. U get Wentz,Smith and Fisher playing and  Colts could do some damage. The defense is what it is. Average talent if not below average talent so far. I fear Ballard's picks on the defensive side of  the ball may have reached their potential. I really hope I start to see some play makers on that side of the ball.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Nope.  

But I was pretty sure leaving 6-14 points on the field due to bad play calling would likely impact the outcome.

Not rocket science type of stuff.

Yea that pick that Carson threw would’ve been nice to have back. Curse that Frank for causing him to throw it way off target. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

Secondary needs a huge fix 

Hopefully getting Rhodes back gives them a boast.  Also I think they need to let them attack more, especially Willis.  When they do good things happens.  When they just drop back and play coverage they struggle and no one embodies that more than Willis.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

To be fair,even Belichick struggled with a sub par QB last year. Frank has had 3 QBs in 4 years. Cant discount that.

the QB excuse.. was just waiting on that... lol

Luck was good. Rivers was good. Wentz has been good. JB was meh.

So let's just leave it at he's had one meh QB in 4 years.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

There is a play calling curse in Indy. And it started after Tom Moore left. 

We haven’t had a decent offensive coordinator in a long time… 

Yep... Bruce Arian, chud, pep, reich...am I missing anyone? 

And do you have confidence  if someone else is brought in to call/design plays it will be any better?

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Dude... 

Wentz played out of his mind so far. 

Reich will never be Lombardi. That's like a top of the mountain hot take.

I thought Wentz played good today too so you are debating something that even isn't there. I said he was injury prone though - he is, drops Mic - that is my problem with him. I was using the Frank/Lombardi thing to make a point as in no matter how great a coach you are if you don't have a good/ reliable QB you won't win. Come on man, you are picking debates with me that don't even make sense and I have had 6 freakin beers.

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Yea that pick that Carson threw would’ve been nice to have back. Curse that Frank for causing him to throw it way off target. 

You know it’s possible for the players to play poorly AND the coaches to still make poor decisions.  That’s what most people are saying.  I don’t know why you are digging in so hard to make it seem like Frank didn’t at the least make some questionable decisions that didn’t work.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You know it’s possible for the players to play poorly AND the coaches to still make poor decisions.  That’s what most people are saying.  I don’t know why you are digging in so hard to make it seem like Frank didn’t at the least make some questionable decisions that didn’t work.

Where did I say that? Literally the entire time I’ve been saying that people are too focused on coaching when we’ve been playing very poorly.

The gut shovel is a timing play. 

Wasn't off target.

Donald blew up the play.

Even Frank said so on his presser 15 minutes ago.

It was a dumb call against one of the best iDLs in the league, in a spot where your OL is weak and has not been working.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

I'm no Dr but you can be dang sure that ankle is going to swell like a mother. I highly doubt he plays for at least the next week.

We aren't good enough right now to be without him. 

With that o-line play, he'd probably be a sitting duck next week if he plays on that ankle!!

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Ok. You’re right. Being unable to get a handful of yards three times is absolutely the recipe for success. I’ll reserve your spot in Canton.

Good grief. That’s not the point. You’re team proved they couldn’t, so call it anyway, is what you’re saying. Good luck with that.

Ballard simply needs to take some blame. Yes injuries are one reason but if you lose your franchise LT and you try to plug that huge hole with some cheap players and rely on an injured Eric Fisher  (that you signed late in of season while sitting on your hands early) to come back and play like a pro bowler was a big gamble that's not working right now. Castonzos retirement wasn't a surprise, not drafting a successor within the last two years a big mistake. 

Wasn't off target.

Donald blew up the play.

It was a dumb call against one of the best iDLs in the league, in a spot where your OL is weak and has not been working.

If I was the QB I would blame myself for that crap. Not the Coach. Carson panicked and just flicked it.

9 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Texans looking like the division leader one more week :funny:

The way things are going for the Colts we'll lose week 6 against them.

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Titans OL banged up like ours.

Great! Maybe our Dline will get 2-3 QB hits next week.

Besides Wentz, the Colts have been lacking in all areas. We are a looong way away from being contenders.

Where did I say that? Literally the entire time I’ve been saying that people are too focused on coaching when we’ve been playing very poorly.

You have gone out of your way to defend Frank over and over again as if he’s calls had no impact on the game.  That’s how you are coming across.  So if that’s not what you mean maybe change your approach a little bit.  

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think we will be okay once Braden gets back. Fisher looked good today. They just all need to get in there and settle down. Have to get that running game going. I dont think its going to happen putting so much focus on using Taylor as the Bellcow. They need close to an even split between Mack and Taylor. Small sample of Hines. If we can get Wentz protected the offense will open up more.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought Wentz played good today too so you are debating something that even isn't there. I said he was injury prone though - he is, drops Mic - that is my problem with him. I was using the Frank/Lombardi thing to make a point as in no matter how great a coach you are if you don't have a good/ reliable QB you won't win. Come on man, you are picking debates with me that don't even make sense and I have had 6 freakin beers.

Frank/Lombardi is a non starter lol.... 

Wasn't off target.

Donald blew up the play.

Still threw it right at the guy. Ask Wentz and I’m sure he’d put it on himself. And of course Frank’s gonna take the heat. That’s what coaches are supposed to do.

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Good grief. That’s not the point. You’re team proved they couldn’t, so call it anyway, is what you’re saying. Good luck with that.

Call it anyway to show them they could do it. Had it worked it could’ve been a huge morale boost. He gambled on his players and he lost. It happens.

Archived