Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

Here is my after thought on things. I have a 3 team parlay on line - legal. I can win 500 dollars if the Bills, Cowboys, and Chiefs win by more than 3. Bills already won, Cowboys up 7-0. Bills already won 35-0.

If Wentz is out we are done, just quit sugarcoating it. Eason stinks and everyone knows it. Wentz is above average in reality (he played good today) but he isn't Peyton or Luck or even Rivers for that matter.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the things that should be a strength from the way the team is built are failing spectacularly. I'm thinking O-Line, run defense, pass rush, running game. Scheme isn't great but even on an individual basis the players aren't getting it done.

Only bright sides today were Wentz and Pitman. Thought both of them looked really good. 

Relatively hopeful on Wentz's injury given how he was standing and moving on the sidelines but its probably misplaced hope.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Annnnnd that’s why I made my original post. Because people will blame the coach because it’s easy. There’s far more to this teams problems than play calling. Case in point, first half of last season vs the last half of the season.

People won’t like aggressive play calling. This goes into your post. I like an  aggressive play caller because it fits my mindset of how the game should be played. 

They aren’t just blaming the coach.  People are screaming about the o-line, secondary.  Ive talked about the d-line so yeah the blame is getting spread around beyond the coach you are just ignoring that.  

Also, you can’t pretend passing on points when you lose by three isn’t something that impacted the game and the coach shouldn’t be blamed for that.  You are ignoring that just as you are accusing other people of ignoring other problems.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am not concerned with the oline. Fisher looked good when he was in and smith will be back. The only thing I am really concerned about is Reich holding this team back. 

Leonard has not looked good with that ankle. It might be time to throw another LB at there.

Yeah right...maybe Eason can play LB and QB.

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

And how many times has it worked? Remember the 4th down pass to Doyle? We all loved it.

Where you and I disagree is that you think if not for his play calling, we’d be winning more. I say our roster is not as good as some would think and that our players are not playing to their level. 

We had talent to win the game. That was clear to 99% of folks today.

A 4th down pass is nice. Loved it....  It's not running it up the gut over and over, and to the right side where you have your RT out.... Or the next series doing the same and then shoveling to the same exact congested spot....

Dumb is dumb. Sorry.. but it is.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t just blaming the coach.  People are screaming about the o-line, secondary.  Ive talked about the d-line so yeah the blame is getting spread around beyond the coach you are just ignoring that.  

Also, you can’t pretend passing on points when you lose by three isn’t something that impacted the game and the coach shouldn’t be blamed for that.  You are ignoring that just as you are accusing other people of ignoring other problems.

Go back and look at the game day thread. Every bad play is Frank this or Flus that. I’m saying it’s much more than coaches. 

I’m not pretending anything. But you’d be fooling yourself if you think FGs alone we’re gonna win this game. When you play a great offense and your D is suspect, you need as many points as you can get. It’s aggressive. Some people prefer to play it safe, other prefer to live off of hindsight.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A 4th down pass is nice. Loved it....  It's not running it up the gut over and over, and to the right side where you have your RT out.... Or the next series doing the same and then shoveling to the same exact congested spot....

I thought the pass on fourth was obvious given how running up the gut had failed three plays in row to that point the Rams knew that wasn’t coming again.  Had they done it on second or third down I think it would have been successful.  I would have also liked to have seen the play they ran later in the game where Taylor was in the backfield, Hines line up at WR and both were decoys that got Doyle wide open for a nice gain.  That was a really good play design today.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That worst thing about today (besides the loss obviously) is the injury to Carson Wentz.

I think people are venting as they are frustrated with being 0-2 and you are going to have that with fans.

This was a lot better than last week but there are things the Colts need to do better.  Someone needs to wake the lines up on both sides of the ball.  I think the coaches need to look at the defense and go you know we can’t be so scared of getting beat deep, when the defense attacks good things happen.

Frank needs to understand his offense is struggling in the redzone, especially his oline, and start rewarding them with points when situations present themselves, even if it’s just three.  He also needs to realize it’s aloud to run outside the tackles and maybe even some counters would help given how aggressive teams are playing them upfront right now.

The passing game has been much better than I could have expected with Carson missing so much camp and all of pre-season.  Pittman and Doyle both played really good games today.  Hopefully the Colts can get the swelling down in Carson’s ankle and let him go back to work as the passing game is the one thing going well for the offense right now.  

Yeah I agree. I think the identity of this team is in the trenches, particularly the oline. We don't have the most explosive offense, so we really need for the oline to control the LOS and keep ahead of the chains. Right now I think our YPC is around 3.4 which is really bad. If we can get it going up front, get TY and Parris back I think things can open up for us.

The playcalling has to improve for sure granted.   

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Go back and look at the game day thread. Every bad play is Frank this or Flus that. I’m saying it’s much more than coaches. 

I’m not pretending anything. But you’d be fooling yourself if you think FGs alone we’re gonna win this game. When you play a great offense and your D is suspect, you need as many points as you can get. It’s aggressive. Some people prefer to play it safe, other prefer to live off of hindsight.

The game day threads are almost always trash for opinions because it’s just in the heat of the moment emotional reactions.  Hardly the place for well thought out opinions.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Yes it’s called a sampling. I could also point out all the plays where the O line just whiffed and let players manhandle Wentz. 

Ok….again I never said the OLine played good…not one time.

What I did say is the play calling, especially in the red zone and more specifically with in the 5 is a problem and is costing us games.

You sit here and keep giving me examples of the online playing bad and Aaron Donald being really good to justify calling running plays up the middle over and over again at the goal line and failing. Mean while the Rams have 1st and goal from within the 5 and the RB runs off tackle and doesn’t get touched…maybe we should have tried that play once? Maybe? How about Pittman, Strachan, MAC, & Pascal bunched up in some form and use a run route or slant or fade or literally anything beside 0 dive

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe we have the talent to beat the Rams. But they aren’t playing up to it. Not by a long shot. If you think that level of play was good enough you’re forgetting how often the rams offense misfired or the ST gifting us 7.

At some point you gotta be able to get those hard yards. I’m more concerned the O line couldn’t generate enough of a push to get those couple of yards to score.

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am not concerned with the oline. Fisher looked good when he was in and smith will be back. The only thing I am really concerned about is Reich holding this team back. 

Leonard has not looked good with that ankle. It might be time to throw another LB at there.

Glow and Kelly aren't looking too great either.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There are absolutely some positives.

Just overshadowed by some completely avoidable dumb stuff

5 and 6 aren't things right now.

not near the reason for our woes.

and TE usage is more a product of scheme

1-4, spot on

multiple plays.

not just one game.

i mean, most of the board likely knew what we were going to do lol... 

and again it came back to bite us.

one call, one game, can be excuses. we're well beyond that. there is a very very clear pattern. 

Maybe not, does not mean it's Solved. The point is, we had flaws on the roster and we gamble, not looking good except for the QB play (that could chance everything if the OL sustain a block).

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich sounds shaken in his presser. Until he looks himself in the eye things won’t change. Is Brady this bad too.

No as per normal you are over reacting.  Brady has been fine.  Like Vilma pointed out several times today the Colts had some very nicely designed plays and good game plan until they hit the redzone.  That clearly needs to improve but that also goes on the guy calling the plays which isn’t Brady.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Well then I was wrong so long as you discount all the things that support my stance.

That’s always been my opinion of the game day thread so that not me dismissing things that support your stance.  It’s me not using something that I know shouldn’t be used to form opinions to form opinions.  

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ok….again I never said the OLine played good…not one time.

What I did say is the play calling, especially in the red zone and more specifically with in the 5 is a problem and is costing us games.

You sit here and keep giving me examples of the online playing bad and Aaron Donald being really good to justify calling running plays up the middle over and over again at the goal line and failing. Mean while the Rams have 1st and goal from within the 5 and the RB runs off tackle and doesn’t get touched…maybe we should have tried that play once? Maybe? How about Pittman, Strachan, MAC, & Pascal bunched up in some form and use a run route or slant or fade or literally anything beside 0 dive

Calm down there bud. Didn’t say you did. I’m using analogies to illustrate my point.

Like I said in another post, if our O line can’t generate enough of a push for a short yard gainer then doesn’t matter what the play call is.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

Calm down there bud. Didn’t say you did. I’m using analogies to illustrate my point.

Like I said in another post, if our O line can’t generate enough of a push for a short yard gainer then doesn’t matter what the play call is.

Not one fade or jump ball.    

This is why you don't go into a season without a good backup QB when your starter has an injury history. Also, Wentz had a decent game, but a lot of the pounding he was taking was partially on him. Did you see how many times he tried to extend play/make something out of nothing? Gotta be smarter than that. I thought I was watching Andrew Luck for a minute.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Pittman proved today he can be a number one WR and a deep threat. 

Three straight rd games is not going to be good.

We may be facing Jacoby. TUA was carted off.

He proved today that he's a slot,  not a 1 outside.

But he's played great at slot, yes

Just now, JediXMan said:

Meanwhile Autry looks great for the Titans got 1.5 sacks already.

I thought we had a lot of pressure today. That was not at the top of the list as being bad at all.

1 minute ago, presto123 said:

This is why you don't go into a season without a good backup QB when your starter has an injury history. Also, Wentz had a decent game, but a lot of the pounding he was taking was partially on him. Did you see how many times he tried to extend play/make something out of nothing? Gotta be smarter than that. I thought I was watching Andrew Luck for a minute.

There are really no good backup QB.

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Yeah, the ankle biters that have latched on to Frank and wont let go are getting pretty annoying. 

At some point the players have to make plays. 1st and goal from the half yard line with the highest paid center in the league, the best guard in the league, Fisher, and Glowinski.  They should score a TD with Taylor behind them.  I had no problem with going for it. I didn’t love the play call on 4th but quite frankly not scoring is on the players. 

Shuffle passes make coaches look like geniuses when they work. Not so much when they don’t. Wentz should have eaten the ball there as well as the play he was injured on.  I get shuffle passes are a timing thing but he should have seen there was no one there.  There’s 3 points that could have been had. 

Fisher looked good for the most part. Of course he was going to get some breathers after rushing back from that type of injury. 

The linebackers were terrible.  Walker is sorely missed. Someone on here posted this past week that Leonard is overrated.  He is! He’s a good player and a playmaker but his coverage numbers last year were terrible.  Most of his tackles are 7-9 yard gains.  Due to his size he doesn’t she blockers particularly well and against good team he disappears for long periods of time like today.  He made one play today.  He had no business being 1st team All Pro last year. All of the second team All Pro guys were better than him.  The Maniac will occasionally make a big play more so against bad teams. He makes enough I guess that people ignore everything else. 

Archived