Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was the QB I would blame myself for that crap. Not the Coach. Carson panicked and just flicked it.

It's timing. QB can't "wait". Donald blew up the OL and TE couldn't get here.

Frank actually did a very clear and nice job explaining it. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You have gone out of your way to defend Frank over and over again as if he’s calls had no impact on the game.  That’s how you are coming across.  So if that’s not what you mean maybe change your approach a little bit.  

BINGO

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You have gone out of your way to defend Frank over and over again as if he’s calls had no impact on the game.  That’s how you are coming across.  So if that’s not what you mean maybe change your approach a little bit.  

I’m sorry your perception is off.

Again, I’m defending him cuz the bigger issue is our O line being incapable of protecting our QB. It’s the biggest issue. Never once said Frank isn’t perfect.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Still threw it right at the guy. Ask Wentz and I’m sure he’d put it on himself. And of course Frank’s gonna take the heat. That’s what coaches are supposed to do.

QB can't wait. He throws to a spot, not to a person. 

Listen to the presser.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

I’m sorry your perception is off.

Again, I’m defending him cuz the bigger issue is our O line being incapable of protecting our QB. It’s the biggest issue. Never once said Frank isn’t perfect.

Judging by the reactions to your posts no it’s not.  People are taking issue with you not wanting to say yeah Frank made some bad decisions today.  They will meet you part way and say the players have to play better too.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

QB can't wait. He throws to a spot, not to a person. 

Listen to the presser.

Or you can not throw it haha. I mean it’s pretty simple.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Judging by the reactions to your posts no it’s not.  People are taking issue with you not wanting to say yeah Frank made some bad decisions today.  They will meet you part way and say the players have to play better too.

Literally have said that multiple times. 

I like Pittman in the slot.  I thought he played his best last year in the slot.  I'm hoping today's performance convinces them to keep him there and move Campbell outside.  I think our line will be fine when Smith returns and Fisher plays the entire game.  I didn't feel we ran enough today.  Taylor needs more touches to get going.  Wentz played well but he runs to much for my liking.  Maybe it won't happen so much if our line starts to jell like I think it will.  Getting Rhodes and TY back should help us quite a bit.  It's a long season not really worried right now.  They almost pulled it out against a very good team and coach. 

He still threw it right at the guy. He should have, you know, not done that. Cant blame Reich  on that.

Bad decision by Wentz and bad play call by Frank.  Way too cute.  I am okay with doing something other than running right into Donald there but calling a pass play that only had one option and is still at Donald was not a good decision either.  Wentz still has to see the play got blown up and just eat it and take three.

Bad decision by Wentz and bad play call by Frank.  Way too cute.  I am okay with doing something other than running right into Donald there but calling a pass play that only had one option and is still at Donald was not a good decision either.  Wentz still has to see the play got blown up and just eat it and take three.

Agree. Never once said it was the right play call but to say this is proof of Frank’s ineptitude, not seeing it. Had it worked, people would be praising him. It’s part of it.

15 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Huh? Fisher played today they're only missing smith at RT

He was alternated in and the difference without him was noticeable.  My point is that the oline can't do anything unless the talent at OT is high and playing the game.

No point in evaluating the O too deeply at this point, IMO.

Agree. Never once said it was the right play call but to say this is proof of Frank’s ineptitude, not seeing it. Had it worked, people would be praising him. It’s part of it.

It was a bad call and follows a pattern of bad calls in that situation that’s why fans are so frustrated with it not that hard to understand.  That doesn’t mean the players couldn’t do things better too but it doesn’t change the fact it’s becoming a pattern with Frank.  

It was a bad call and follows a pattern of bad calls in that situation that’s why fans are so frustrated with it not that hard to understand.  That doesn’t mean the players couldn’t do things better too but it doesn’t change the fact it’s becoming a pattern with Frank.  

Those runs up the gut at times are like honestly... Why???

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we will be okay once Braden gets back. Fisher looked good today. They just all need to get in there and settle down. Have to get that running game going. I dont think its going to happen putting so much focus on using Taylor as the Bellcow. They need close to an even split between Mack and Taylor. Small sample of Hines. If we can get Wentz protected the offense will open up more.

I think Taylor needs to be the bell cow.  He will be fine when the OL gets back together and starts to jell.  Mack is just insurance for this year.  Taylor is the future.  I doubt Mack is even back after this year.  

Honest question, do you think the O-line not keeping Wentz protected is coaching? Follow up, do you think that deficiency is a bigger problem than play calling?

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Honest question? Why was the rookie TE drafted? Is he now of a blocker? 

I thought we were getting another weapon.

I'd imagine the oline not being able to run block or pass protect will not allow the TEs to be used for anything other than extra blocking or dump offs. If the run game is established, that opens up PA where a lot of these TEs do their best work receiving.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

Those runs up the gut at times are like honestly... Why???

Agree there.  I didn’t like that they waited until fourth down to try to do something different either.  I think it was too obvious at that point you werent going to fool them.  They would have been better off to just go empty backfield and spread them out on fourth down.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Literally have said that multiple times. 

You are wasting your breath, everytime you try to say something isn't Frank's fault some think you think he is perfect. I have even said numerous times he is good but not very good or great but people ignore that and read what they want too. When I say something isn't his fault I get crapped on. That pass Wentz threw wasn't his fault, it so obvious that this guy would even know that Homer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN- Frank is not why we lost today, we just didn't make enough plays to win this. It was a pretty even game. Wentz getting injured screwed us too. 

33 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

With all the negatives...how in the heck were the Colts still in position to possibly tie or win, had Wentz not gotten injured...

its the wentz injury that killed the hope ... without it colts could have still taken first place with a win next week .  eason is just not good right now , he may be one day but starting him will not end well .

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wentz played well but he runs to much for my liking.  Maybe it won't happen so much if our line starts to jell like I think it will.

Yep.  Agreed.  Despite the pass rush he's faced these first two game, it looks like Wentz holds the ball too long.  Tries to extend the play too many times.  

His playing style will get him hurt.  As it did Luck. 

When fans see the difference in QB styles between Wentz/Luck and Rivers, then maybe there will be a more thoughtful discussion about Olines and their contribution to QB injuries.

BTW, mobile QBs extend plays and get hurt.  Pocket passers stay protected and last longer.  

Better than last week

Carson is a total dog, loving that guy so far. Put it all out there for us

We started 1-4 a few years ago, scrapped to an 11-5 record and beat the Texans in round 1; we’re far from out of it

With that being said, coaching must improve, especially with Frank and Flus

Loved seeing Mack back

Also props to Doyle and Pittman, guys were on fire today

Buckner and Q still good, as always

12 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Call it anyway to show them they could do it. Had it worked it could’ve been a huge morale boost. He gambled on his players and he lost. It happens.

For 2 weeks in a row? Get out of here. The Colts have scored 3 touchdowns, none of them rushing, all of them to Pascal and you don’t see a problem with the red zone play calling? They seem

to execute decently enough to get into

the red zone. Our red zone offense has to be in the bottom 10 of the league. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

BTW, mobile QBs extend plays and get hurt.  Pocket passers stay protected and last longer

It's so true....

Wentz is scary looking when he dives in runs. I could easily see him getting decapitated one day.

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Honest question, do you think the O-line not keeping Wentz protected is coaching? Follow up, do you think that deficiency is a bigger problem than play calling?

No, I’ve said in this thread I think the issue with the o-line is injuries.  However, a head coach should know that so depending on them to open holes three straight plays against the best DT in football isn’t the best plan.  Still it’s okay if you want to try to send a message but when you get fourth down admit defeat take the points and when you get back down there don’t call a play on third down to still go straight at Donald.  

I think one is feeding the other which is normally the case in football.  When you’re team wins normally the coaching and execution goes well,  when they lose it’s normally the reverse.  Very rarely do have good coaching and poor execution or great execution and poor coaching.  

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

For 2 weeks in a row? Get out of here. The Colts have scored 3 touchdowns, none of them rushing, all of them to Pascal and you don’t see a problem with the red zone play calling? They seem

to execute decently enough to get into

the red zone. Our red zone offense has to be in the bottom 10 of the league. 

So since we’ve not been able to rush it into the end zone you take that as proof we should never rush it into the end zone? You have to be able to get those yards. This goes beyond one game. If you can’t get those yards then it’s way bigger of a problem than any one score or game.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The gut shovel is a timing play. 

Wasn't off target.

Donald blew up the play.

Even Frank said so on his presser 15 minutes ago.

It was a dumb call against one of the best iDLs in the league, in a spot where your OL is weak and has not been working.

It’s generally a good call against an aggressive line.   It didn’t work. Wentz should have ate the ball. 

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

One total sack and Leonard and Oke combined for 7 tackles, and our running game didn't do any damage. 

Wow.  That's pathetic.

But, was Leonard assigned specific coverage responsibilities and did he do his job covering his man?  Maybe he was too occupied to get in on the tackles as much as he usually does.

14 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Not sure if you understand a timing play. You don't wait till the guy is open. You have to assume he will be there.

He wasn't there, because quite simply, it was a horrible call. Who would have thunk the best defensive player in the league might blow up a play on the interior in a goal line situation... lol

We can agree to disagree. You come off as there's an excuse for all the bad and dumb stuff Reich did today. None of what happened shocked anyone. Reich is going to get pummeled in the media again this week, even more than last week. The narrative isn't something brand new.

Archived