Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No, I’ve said in this thread I think the issue with the o-line is injuries.  However, a head coach should know that so depending on them to open holes three straight plays against the best DT in football isn’t the best plan.  Still it’s okay if you want to try to send a message but when you get fourth down admit defeat take the points and when you get back down there don’t call a play on third down to still go straight at Donald.  

I think one is feeding the other which is normally the case in football.  When you’re team wins normally the coaching and execution goes well,  when they lose it’s normally the reverse.  Very rarely do have good coaching and poor execution or great execution and poor coaching.  

So you think Wentz not being protected is not coaching but injuries?

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  Agreed.  Despite the pass rush he's faced these first two game, it looks like Wentz holds the ball too long.  Tries to extend the play too many times.  

His playing style will get him hurt.  As it did Luck. 

When fans see the difference in QB styles between Wentz/Luck and Rivers, then maybe there will be a more thoughtful discussion about Olines and their contribution to QB injuries.

BTW, mobile QBs extend plays and get hurt.  Pocket passers stay protected and last longer.  

I agree here.  I know he's feeling pressure quickly but sometimes I think he is waiting for the receiver to get more open before throwing the ball.  When he doesn't see it he starts to scramble and look for the broken coverage.  I'm hoping better pass protection will help.  I hold my breath every time I see him scramble for a 1st down and dive head first.  

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

It’s generally a good call against an aggressive line.   It didn’t work. Wentz should have ate the ball. 

Not really against a great interior DL. Which the Rams have the best. 

I'm just not going right at Donald lol..... that logic does not compute.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if you understand a timing play. You don't wait till the guy is open. You have to assume he will be there.

He wasn't there, because quite simply, it was a horrible call. Who would have thunk the best defensive player in the league might blow up a play on the interior in a goal line situation... lol

We can agree to disagree. You come off as there's an excuse for all the bad and dumb stuff Reich did today. None of what happened shocked anyone. Reich is going to get pummeled in the media again this week, even more than last week. The narrative isn't something brand new.

If Donald blows up the play, you don’t throw the ball. It’s pretty simple

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

For years this what fans said they wanted in a head coach when they would complain about Dungy being too conservative and taking those very points.  One thing remains unchanged when what you do doesn’t work fans say you should have done something else.  With that said I sided with Dungy then and now.  You take the points.

I agree it’s a time and a place for you to go for 7 , let us get a lead and play with a lead take the 3 etc… like I understand hindsight is 20 20 but come on we have not been clicking on off get some points and take a lead 

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

So since we’ve not been able to rush it into the end zone you take that as proof we should never rush it into the end zone? You have to be able to get those yards. This goes beyond one game. If you can’t get those yards then it’s way bigger of a problem than any one score or game.

Yup, I agree. But we can’t, so you have to scheme ways to get those yards a different way. Teams do it all of the time. You also have to quit being so predictable when you’re in those situations. I mean by the 4th quarter, even the announcers were telling Frank to stop running up the middle at the goal line. 

Did you not chuckle when they Rams only had to run 1 play, a running play, off tackle and not even get touched at the goal

line? They chose to attack or edges instead of the heart of our D. Crazy huh. 

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Listen to me it’s wasn’t rocket since everytime it was a 3 down they would line Donald up on glow and he would destroy him , like literally I would just double him everything he go to glow side and on defense they just need to have a game plan like I’m gonna shut kupp down and let the other guys beat me on 3rd I was so * when Cupp was running wide open and the defense would pick up the underman and let him run deep 

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

Yup, I agree. But we can’t, so you have to scheme ways to get those yards a different way. Teams do it all of the time. You also have to quit being so predictable when you’re in those situations. I mean by the 4th quarter, even the announcers were telling Frank to stop running up the middle at the goal line. 

Did you not chuckle when they Rams only had to run 1 play, a running play, off tackle and not even get touched at the goal

line? They chose to attack or edges instead of the heart of our D. Crazy huh. 

I agree. I think we do need to try different things. It’s week 2. Can’t fault the guy for saying we need to be able to pound the middle.

And the other point is I look at our guys inability to tackle.

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

Listen to me it’s wasn’t rocket since everytime it was a 3 down they would line Donald up on glow and he would destroy him , like literally I would just double him everything he go to glow side and on defense they just need to have a game plan like I’m gonna shut kupp down and let the other guys beat me on 3rd I was so * when Cupp was running wide open and the defense would pick up the underman and let him run deep 

I tried listening to you but I got caught up trying to find a period.

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I think I’ve made my opinion clear.  There is a lot of blame to go around.  You can’t look at the coach, players, or injuries and a lone and say it’s all that one things fault.  They are all issues, however if you feel one is more of an issue than others it doesn’t mean the other two aren’t issues and can then be ignored.  Concern about all is valid.  

I really feel that the offense and Frank are being limited on the kind of plays they can call due to the OL's performance as of late. Frank still made some dumb decisions in the first, but it feels anytime the one time the Colts even tried a deep ball (like the ball to Pittman),Wentz was going to take a hit or two as a result.

I also  feel that the run game will be back once Nelson's back improves and Davenport sits his * on the bench. Let it be known that they figured out placing Donald on Davenport was the key to winning on D and there wasn't much that was going to help in that scenario besides trying to bring in an extra blocker, which takes away a route runner in the play and isnt possible every play.  Another week with Fisher practicing will only improve the oline too.

This team has a decent amount of holes from poor performing draft picks, ones that Ballard must use FA to help fix if he wants to keep his job going forward. However I still think that they can be a good team in the playoffs if they get their act together. The stupid part about our recent slow starts has been that we've literally had a new QB starting every year for a while. I don't care what anyone else says, that's going to take a while for even a talented team to get fully used to (not comparing the QBs, but Brady in Tampa Bay took until late in the season to get it really going). And we got probably the hardest two games to restart this thing again. Hopefully Wentz can play next Sunday...

I agree. I think we do need to try different things. It’s week 2. Can’t fault the guy for saying we need to be able to pound the middle.

And the other point is I look at our guys inability to tackle.

I can fault him when there are other options available, that have been proven to work, and he won’t even attempt them.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if you understand a timing play. You don't wait till the guy is open. You have to assume he will be there.

He wasn't there, because quite simply, it was a horrible call. Who would have thunk the best defensive player in the league might blow up a play on the interior in a goal line situation... lol

We can agree to disagree. You come off as there's an excuse for all the bad and dumb stuff Reich did today. None of what happened shocked anyone. Reich is going to get pummeled in the media again this week, even more than last week. The narrative isn't something brand new.

Its analytics.  I'm convinced it is the fly in Frank's soup. 

In the first two weeks of the season, I've seen a lot of shovel passes in goal line situations in both the NFL and college.  These play callers look at the same data and are thinking the data says that certain plays SHOULD work. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think I’ve made my opinion clear.  There is a lot of blame to go around.  You can’t look at the coach, players, or injuries and a lone and say it’s all that one things fault.  They are all issues, however if you feel one is more of an issue than others it doesn’t mean the other two aren’t issues and can then be ignored.  Concern about all is valid.  

Agree and I’ve said as much. All I’ve ever said is that I think our O line getting our franchise QB killed in week 2 is more important than three bad play calls or whatever.

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

No but I understand throwing the ball to someone on the other team is bad. I would avoid it where possible.

Welp, then you should blame Reich for calling a play that requires a QB to throw it to a spot before the TE gets there... Or too an area where the best player in the NFL plays.

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

I can fault him when there are other options available, that have been proven to work, and he won’t even attempt them.

It’s week 2. Running up the middle is a pretty safe call and indicative of the functionality of an offense. No preseason games for our starting offense together is rearing it’s ugly head.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, then you should blame Reich for calling a play that requires a QB to throw it to a spot before the TE gets there... Or too an area where the best player in the NFL plays.

Or, maybe I can blame the QB for not seeing Donald blowing up the play? Timing play or not, he should have seen that the player wouldn’t be in position nor would be able to get there cuz of Donald.

Also, I don’t want a coach who’s afraid to go after an area of the field cuz of one player. But if you’d rather we have a timid coach, fine.

Agree and I’ve said as much. All I’ve ever said is that I think our O line getting our franchise QB killed in week 2 is more important than three bad play calls or whatever.

They stop arguing with people who are pointing out fair criticisms of Frank.  Those are issues just as much as the injuries, player performance, or even the officials letting Wentz take clearly illegal hits two weeks in a row.

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Colts fan not understanding a timing play is tough to hear. Peyton to Marvin, Peyton to Reggie…

Unfortunately a lot of folks don't understand simple football concepts. That's OK as the average fan doesn't care.

Just head scratching when someone wasn't to argue, that has no clue lol.

Rivers threw a ton of timing plays too. Some of his best tosses last year were spot throws. Pascal and Mo.... Awesome stuff.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

That is nonsense and you know it. Wentz is the QB and could clearly see Doyle wasn't open so why force it. Do you blame Caldwell for Peyton's pass in SB 44 when Wayne ran a lazy route as well. That was on Peyton and Wayne.

Or, maybe I can blame the QB for not seeing Donald blowing up the play? Timing play or not, he should have seen that the player wouldn’t be in position nor would be able to get there cuz of Donald.

I get it. You don't get it, and you won't even accept Reich's own explanation... .... 

Peace be with you

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like Pittman in the slot.  I thought he played his best last year in the slot.  I'm hoping today's performance convinces them to keep him there and move Campbell outside.  I think our line will be fine when Smith returns and Fisher plays the entire game.  I didn't feel we ran enough today.  Taylor needs more touches to get going.  Wentz played well but he runs to much for my liking.  Maybe it won't happen so much if our line starts to jell like I think it will.  Getting Rhodes and TY back should help us quite a bit.  It's a long season not really worried right now.  They almost pulled it out against a very good team and coach. 

Campbell?  Really?

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

OK, now you're biting Franks ankle continuously simply because you enjoy it. 

The QB throws a shovel pass about 6 feet, on a straight line.  Its not thrown before a player gets there, its thrown right at the player who is there. 

The QB throws a 30 yard timing route or a fade pattern to a spot, not a shovel pass.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is nonsense and you know it. Wentz is the QB and could clearly see Doyle wasn't open so why force it. Do you blame Caldwell for Peyton's pass in SB 44 when Wayne ran a lazy route as well. That was on Peyton and Wayne.

In this case it was on both.  Bad play call by Frank to start with made worse by Wentz making a bad decision.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

OK, now you're biting Franks ankle continuously simply because you enjoy it. 

The QB throws a shovel pass about 6 feet, on a straight line.  Its not thrown before a player gets there, its thrown right at the player who is there. 

The QB throws a 30 yard timing route or a fade pattern to a spot, not a shovel pass.

No, don’t argue with him, he says he knows more than us.  

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

These issues are not equal.

That’s why people are taking issue with you.  You are dismissing real coaching issues because you feel there are bigger problems.  Like I said before multiple things can go wrong and in the NFL when that happens it snow balls until you get them all fixed.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why people are taking issue with you.  You are dismissing real coaching issues because you feel there are bigger problems.  Like I said before multiple things can go wrong and in the NFL when that happens it snow balls until you get them all fixed.

Where have I dismissed them?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

*. You can't wait to see if a guy is open. The very basics of a timing play is you don't wait, you expect and assume the player will be at a spot. You throw to the spot before he gets there. It wasn't a lazy route. The OL failed and Doyle couldn't get there. Bad play call plane in simple. You either blame Reich for the bad call, or you give credit to Donald. Even Reich knows this and said as much.

Archived