Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

He proved today that he's a slot,  not a 1 outside.

But he's played great at slot, yes

Yes.  This leaves the door open for Pascal or Strachan at X and Campbell or TY at Z.

Pretty good job of coaching putting Pitt in the slot.

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am not concerned with the oline. Fisher looked good when he was in and smith will be back. The only thing I am really concerned about is Reich holding this team back. 

Leonard has not looked good with that ankle. It might be time to throw another LB at there.

I don’t know how anyone could not be concerned with the OLine after what they have shown the last 2 weeks. Good grief.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

At some point the players have to make plays. 1st and goal from the half yard line with the highest paid center in the league, the best guard in the league, Fisher, and Glowinski.  They should score a TD with Taylor behind them.  I had no problem with going for it. I didn’t love the play call on 4th but quite frankly not scoring is on the players. 

Shuffle passes make coaches look like geniuses when they work. Not so much when they don’t. Wentz should have eaten the ball there as well as the play he was injured on.  I get shuffle passes are a timing thing but he should have seen there was no one there.  There’s 3 points that could have been had. 

Fisher looked good for the most part. Of course he was going to get some breathers after rushing back from that type of injury. 

The linebackers were terrible.  Walker is sorely missed. Someone on here posted this past week that Leonard is overrated.  He is! He’s a good player and a playmaker but his coverage numbers last year were terrible.  Most of his tackles are 7-9 yard gains.  Due to his size he doesn’t she blockers particularly well and against good team he disappears for long periods of time like today.  He made one play today.  He had no business being 1st team All Pro last year. All of the second team All Pro guys were better than him.  The Maniac will occasionally make a big play more so against bad teams. He makes enough I guess that people ignore everything else. 

Well said.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  This leaves the door open for Pascal or Strachan at X and Campbell or TY at Z.

I think we should make the move to put Paris at Z. Love TY but I’m worried he doesn’t have the physical presence he used to or that Paris has now. Durability is an issue with both though.

I also took issue with the play calling the first series Eason came in.  Like Vilma said you had a lot of time where you just needed three, so start the drive off with a couple of dump offs to Hines to get Eason comfortable.  Yet the Colts called a play where guys went down the field and forced Eason to try to squeeze a ball between two Rams defenders and the sideline.  I didn’t like that.  Eason could have probably made a better read as well.

12 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yeah...just replay last week's radio interview.

Exactly what happened lol

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Go back and look at the game day thread. Every bad play is Frank this or Flus that. I’m saying it’s much more than coaches. 

I’m not pretending anything. But you’d be fooling yourself if you think FGs alone we’re gonna win this game. When you play a great offense and your D is suspect, you need as many points as you can get. It’s aggressive. Some people prefer to play it safe, other prefer to live off of hindsight.

Well, simple math says a few FGs would have indeed won this one....

And they should have been TDs anyway, not needing a 4th down call.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I thought the pass on fourth was obvious given how running up the gut had failed three plays in row to that point the Rams knew that wasn’t coming again.  Had they done it on second or third down I think it would have been successful.  I would have also liked to have seen the play they ran later in the game where Taylor was in the backfield, Hines line up at WR and both were decoys that got Doyle wide open for a nice gain.  That was a really good play design today.

Anything but running over the right side gut when you've got guys out, and knowing you're going up against one of the best, if not the best, interior DLs in the league.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The game day threads are almost always trash for opinions because it’s just in the heat of the moment emotional reactions.  Hardly the place for well thought out opinions.

That's what game day threads are for... it's a pop-off thread.

Doesn't mean the popoffs are wrong though.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich sounds shaken in his presser. Until he looks himself in the eye things won’t change. Is Brady this bad too.

Same as last week.

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Maybe we have the talent to beat the Rams. But they aren’t playing up to it. Not by a long shot. If you think that level of play was good enough you’re forgetting how often the rams offense misfired or the ST gifting us 7.

At some point you gotta be able to get those hard yards. I’m more concerned the O line couldn’t generate enough of a push to get those couple of yards to score.

Sorry. You're playing one of the best interior DLs in the league. You don't call continuous, and obvious plays, over the weakest side of your OL. Lacks all kinds of logic.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s just going to give you coach speak and not say anything really.  That’s what coaches do in post game pressers.

confirmed lol

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Glow and Kelly aren't looking too great either.

And Smith bad last week. Glow not horrible given paid. Smith and Kelly, atrocious given their pay.

5 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Maybe not, does not mean it's Solved. The point is, we had flaws on the roster and we gamble, not looking good except for the QB play (that could chance everything if the OL sustain a block).

Pittman and Pascal played great and were the focal point along with Doyle who also looked good. 

PC and TY and Z in general, is a whole different conversation.

1 minute ago, bravo4460 said:

Maybe the offense misses Sirianni

He didn't call plays, so not really sure any OC will make a lot of difference.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Pittman proved today he can be a number one WR and a deep threat. 

Three straight rd games is not going to be good.

We may be facing Jacoby. TUA was carted off.

Pittman played a lot from slot today, and was very good. He shouldn't be the guy you feature every week. He should be a 1B or 2A in dynamic O.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Meanwhile Autry looks great for the Titans got 1.5 sacks already.

sigh..... lol

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I also took issue with the play calling the first series Eason came in.  Like Vilma said you had a lot of time where you just needed three, so start the drive off with a couple of dump offs to Hines to get Eason comfortable.  Yet the Colts called a play where guys went down the field and forced Eason to try to squeeze a ball between two Rams defenders and the sideline.  I didn’t like that.  

I would have to re watch it but in the moment it seemed he was going through his progressions and was on a second or third read.

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

I think we should make the move to put Paris at Z. Love TY but I’m worried he doesn’t have the physical presence he used to or that Paris has now. Durability is an issue with both though.

Ummm...Paris? The guy that gets injured watching TV in his recliner? Not a good plan.

Neither TY or Parris are reliable.  Even if P shows something, how do you not go get another one in the offseason.

Not having a reliable Z is a big deal to an offense.  They can stack the box even more than they do against us.

TY wasn't very reliable last year, and neither was Rivers getting him the ball.  O looked a lot the same last year too.

#1WR, IOW, a versatile vertical threat is a very important piece to an O.  Its why every team wants one.

I would have to re watch it but in the moment it seemed he was going through his progressions and was on a second or third read.

I’ll have to rewatch it too but if I remember correctly they sent everyone out and down the field.  I would have preferred to see a couple of quick swing passes to Hines just to get him going like Hines said.

9 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Calm down there bud. Didn’t say you did. I’m using analogies to illustrate my point.

Like I said in another post, if our O line can’t generate enough of a push for a short yard gainer then doesn’t matter what the play call is.

I am calm. And I agree with your last point, and I’m not made for going for it on the 1st drive.

I am over the red zone play calling though, and you’re underselling it. You don’t just keep doing it because they should be able to. You adjust, attack from a different angle or a different area of the D, provide mis-direction, etc. to help cover some of your deficiencies.

7 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Titans giving the Seahawks a game right now

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pitt shifting was more about needing him at slot due to injury.

Not sure it was a critical thinking type of decision. 

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Hope so. It's kinda been the plan to make him TY's heir outside. Z will take less of a pounding than slot (for PC).

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I also took issue with the play calling the first series Eason came in.  Like Vilma said you had a lot of time where you just needed three, so start the drive off with a couple of dump offs to Hines to get Eason comfortable.  Yet the Colts called a play where guys went down the field and forced Eason to try to squeeze a ball between two Rams defenders and the sideline.  I didn’t like that.  

Totally awful not giving him some easy stuff to get him comfy and in a rhythm. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Exactly what happened lol

Well, simple math says a few FGs would have indeed won this one....

And they should have been TDs anyway, not needing a 4th down call.

Anything but running over the right side gut when you've got guys out, and knowing you're going up against one of the best, if not the best, interior DLs in the league.

That's what game day threads are for... it's a pop-off thread.

Doesn't mean the popoffs are wrong though.

Same as last week.

Sorry. You're playing one of the best interior DLs in the league. You don't call continuous, and obvious plays, over the weakest side of your OL. Lacks all kinds of logic.

confirmed lol

And Smith bad last week. Glow not horrible given paid. Smith and Kelly, atrocious given their pay.

Pittman and Pascal played great and were the focal point along with Doyle who also looked good. 

PC and TY and Z in general, is a whole different conversation.

He didn't call plays, so not really sure any OC will make a lot of difference.

Pittman played a lot from slot today, and was very good. He shouldn't be the guy you feature every week. He should be a 1B or 2A in dynamic O.

sigh..... lol

You’re right. Frank should have used his butterfly effect generator and seen what the final score would have been. 

If this isn’t the epitome of hindsight being 20/20 then I don’t know what is.

And we have the highest paid O-line in the league. They should win that battle at least a third of the time. If not, then the greatest play calling in the world won’t matter.

3 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Parris needs to play first

He’s batting a solid .500 so far this year. 

Despite the loss I felt a lot better about this Colts team than I thought I would. I think its unrealistic to expect this team to have started 2-0 if they're facing the NFC West which is far superior than us.

I do think Wentz shouldn't have started the season I felt that was rushed but he looked rather decent today. 

This was a rather winnable game that slipped through our fingers unfortunately.

I don't know how bad his injury is though I mean Dak's was far worse last season because they wouldn't even show it again and well a cart was brought out.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Because smith will hopefully be back next week and Fisher will play the entire game. That will make a huge difference.

The same Smith that got destroyed week 1? And the same Fisher who was so ready to play this week he wasn’t in on any of the crucial drives? And what’s the excuse for Kelly and Glow? 

I hope you’re right, but definitely have cause for concern. 

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

I am calm. And I agree with your last point, and I’m not made for going for it on the 1st drive.

I am over the red zone play calling though, and you’re underselling it. You don’t just keep doing it because they should be able to. You adjust, attack from a different angle or a different area of the D, provide mis-direction, etc. to help cover some of your deficiencies.

Yeah at some point you have to realize just because you “should” be able too you aren’t.  

Like I said in another post I would have liked to have seen the play they used later in the game when they brought Taylor into the game and sent Hines out wide and made a quick pass to Doyle for a nice gain.  Taylor and Hines drew so much attention as decoys that would have been the perfect play for the goal-line.

11 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Titans giving the Seahawks a game right now

Knew they would. They're very similar to the Colts honestly. We might not love hearing that but the two sides are mentally alike. They were punched in week 1, you knew they'd stand up in week 2. I expect them to lose nevertheless

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Sounds an awful lot like “cute plays” to me. You cant run it up the gut and win, you’re in bad shape regardless.

Frank can be Vince Lombardi but until he gets a QB like Luck or Rivers he won't win consistently, that is reality. When he had Luck we were 10-6 and won a playoff game, with Rivers 11-5. Give Belichick JB or Wentz throughout his career and see how he does. I actually think Wentz can be good but he is too injury prone. People in here were whaling on me when I said Campbell was injury prone too and wouldn't play half the season, and look he couldn't even play today. I bet Wentz is out 4 weeks - just a gut feeling.

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

With all the negatives...how in the heck were the Colts still in position to possibly tie or win, had Wentz not gotten injured...

Because they did somethings well today as well.  Fans are frustrated and venting and when that happens they are going to focus on the negatives as well.  Like the old saying goes you aren’t as bad as you look in defeat and you aren’t as good as you look in victory. 

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

You’re right. Frank should have used his butterfly effect generator and seen what the final score would have been. 

If this isn’t the epitome of hindsight being 20/20 then I don’t know what is.

And we have the highest paid O-line in the league. They should win that battle at least a third of the time. If not, then the greatest play calling in the world won’t matter.

He’s batting a solid .500 so far this year. 

You don't need a magic mirror to look into the future. If so, the whole board, and radio all had magic mirrors today. You must not have got yours in the mail. We need to fix that.

Our high end OL is lacking our second best player, our 3rd best (Fisher) played only limited snaps (Reich should have used him in the RZ), and Kelly likely is still gimpy. Nelson is the only one playing well, and is gimpy too.  

So yes, they played bad. Everybody knows it. Nobody is shocked though because of all the injuries and stuff going on.

Play calling however is not an injury. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Frank can be Vince Lombardi but until he gets a QB like Luck or Rivers he won't win consistently, that is reality. When he had Luck we were 10-6 and won a playoff game, with Rivers 11-5. Give Belichick JB or Wentz throughout his career and see how he does. I actually think Wentz can be good but he is too injury prone. People in here were whaling on me when I said Campbell was injury prone too and wouldn't play half the season, and look he couldn't even play today. I bet Wentz is out 4 weeks - just a gut feeling.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/1439684793302540292

Just now, EastStreet said:

You don't need a magic mirror to look into the future. If so, the whole board, and radio all had magic mirrors today. You must not have got yours in the mail. We need to fix that.

Our high end OL is lacking our second best player, our 3rd best (Fisher) played only limited snaps (Reich should have used him in the RZ), and Kelly likely is still gimpy. Nelson is the only one playing well, and is gimpy too.  

So yes, they played bad. Everybody knows it. Nobody is shocked though because of all the injuries and stuff going on.

Play calling however is not an injury. 

Ah so you knew we’d be gifted 7 by their Special Teams? Wow

Archived