Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Rams at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

*. You can't wait to see if a guy is open. The very basics of a timing play is you don't wait, you expect and assume the player will be at a spot. You throw to the spot before he gets there. It wasn't a lazy route. The OL failed and Doyle couldn't get there. Bad play call plane in simple. You either blame Reich for the bad call, or you give credit to Donald. Even Reich knows this and said as much.

Or you could blame the Oline. You literally said they failed.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s kind of sad we took a DE that isn’t playing when we could of taken a tackle. Any tackle in the second round would of been better then what we have.

I agree with this too, taking Dayo at 53 blew my mind. With Wentz's injury history I would've went O.Line in round 1 to be honest but def in round 2.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

Where have I dismissed them?

Every post when you defend Reich for his decisions because you think there are other problems.  Like the goal line INT.  Frank made a bad play call to start with.  Wentz made it worse with a bad decision.  Just because Wentz threw the  pick doesn’t make Frank’s play call okay to start with.  So let’s not pretend that Frank’s play call wasn’t a factor there because you can easily say if Frank calls something else Wentz doesn’t throw that pick.  The reality is both made mistakes and hopefully both will learn from it and the Colts will be better next time.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Everyone but Frank, right lol

Just glossing over that eh? Not gonna own up to the fact you admitted the O line failed? Haha GG

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Every post when you defend Reich for his decisions because you think there are other problems.  Like the goal line INT.  Frank made a bad play call to start with.  Wentz made it worse with a bad decision.  Just because Wentz threw the  pick doesn’t make Frank’s play call okay to start with.  So let’s not pretend that Frank’s play call wasn’t a factor there because you can easily say if Frank calls something else Wentz doesn’t throw that pick.  The reality is both made mistakes and hopefully both will learn from it and the Colts will be better next time.

Where have I dismissed them?

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

*. You can't wait to see if a guy is open. The very basics of a timing play is you don't wait, you expect and assume the player will be at a spot. You throw to the spot before he gets there. It wasn't a lazy route. The OL failed and Doyle couldn't get there. Bad play call plane in simple. You either blame Reich for the bad call, or you give credit to Donald. Even Reich knows this and said as much.

It was a bad pass but I give Donald huge credit. I personally didn't like the play call as I have posted, but still a bad pass. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

OK, now you're biting Franks ankle continuously simply because you enjoy it. 

The QB throws a shovel pass about 6 feet, on a straight line.  Its not thrown before a player gets there, its thrown right at the player who is there. 

The QB throws a 30 yard timing route or a fade pattern to a spot, not a shovel pass.

it's a bang bang play.

the TE is supposed to streak parallel to the LOS

listen to Reich's presser.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was a bad pass but I give Donald huge credit. I personally didn't like the play call as I have posted, but still a bad pass. 

Should have never been called. That's the primary point.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with this too, taking Dayo at 53 blew my mind. With Wentz's injury history I would've went O.Line in round 1 to be honest but def in round 2.

That was the concern not taking a tackle in Round 1, it was a gamble that the 2nd tier group of tackles would all be gone by 54, which is what happened. After Rudunz at 53, the next tackle taken was Spencer Brown at 93

3 minutes ago, ColtV said:

That was the gamble not taking a tackle in Round 1, it was a gamble that the 2nd tier group of tackles would all be gone by 54, which is what happened. After Rudunz at 53, the next tackle taken was Spencer Brown at 93

Yeah I agree. I would've took a LT in round 2 because I do love the Paye pick. I think Ballard did good by picking Paye. Dayo pick blew my mind.

I just told you,  you defending him because you feel there are other issues is dismissing them.

No it’s not. That’s you making assumptions. In fact I have agreed with the other issues existing.

I can defend against the perception that play calling or even overall coaching is our biggest issue while agreeing these other things are issues as well. The opinion comes in where I say the Oline is the biggest issue.

blame Wentz if it makes you feel better.

Should have never ever been called when your OL stinks and Donald is across the line.

dumb is dumb

I will thanks.

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

No it’s not. That’s you making assumptions. In fact I have agreed with the other issues existing.

I can defend against the perception that play calling or even overall coaching is our biggest issue while agreeing these other things are issues as well. The opinion comes in where I say the Oline is the biggest issue.

You can't blame a bee for stinging some one. You can blame a person for making a choice to go near a bee's nest.

I will thanks.

Great Cher!

blame Wentz if it makes you feel better.

Should have never ever been called when your OL stinks and Donald is across the line.

dumb is dumb

I blame both (bad play call and bad pass) but Wentz being the QB could clearly see Doyle wasn't there. Like I posted earlier if I was the QB I would blame myself for that. Of course Frank isn't going to throw Wentz on the train tracks, not his style so he will blame himself.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

So do you think coaches calling plays over and over again that depend on good oline play when your oline isn’t playing well and going right at the best defensive player I’m football over and over again is a good idea?  If not then yeah coaching is as much of an issue as anything else right now because it means the coaches aren’t recognizing what’s going on with their team and trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.  It’s not the only issue by far but it’s having a huge impact on what’s going on on the field.  Yes the players have to do better but the coaches have to do a better job putting them in a position to succeed.  Until both improve both will struggle.

8 minutes ago, ColtV said:

That was the concern not taking a tackle in Round 1, it was a gamble that the 2nd tier group of tackles would all be gone by 54, which is what happened. After Rudunz at 53, the next tackle taken was Spencer Brown at 93

Brady Christensen at 70 did pretty well in the preseason games. Haven't followed him in the regular season though.

So do you think coaches calling plays over and over again that depend on good oline play when your oline isn’t playing well and going right at the best defensive player I’m football over and over again is a good idea?  If not then yeah coaching is as much of an issue as anything else right now because it means the coaches aren’t recognizing what’s going on with their team and trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.  It’s not the only issue by far but it’s having a huge impact on what’s going on on the field.  Yes the players have to do better but the coaches have to do a better job putting them in a position to succeed.  Until both improve both will struggle.

No I’m gonna say having an Oline that has gotten your starting franchise QB injured in week 2 is a bigger issue than play calling.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Brady Christensen at 70 did pretty well in the preseason games. Haven't followed him in the regular season though.

I dont mind the pick of Dayo. If he comes back this season and the Colts have a nasty pass rush as i think they will later in the season, it'll be worth it. I think the guys who're playing are not playing anywhere near as well as they have to. Whether it's on the line coach is another thing to consider, but the guys playing are off and nothing they've shown leads me to believe a rookie would have been the solution.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree. I would've took a LT in round 2 because I do love the Paye pick. I think Ballard did good by picking Paye. Dayo pick blew my mind.

Have any of the LT picked in the 2021 draft started  ? Last I checked Darisaw was injured others are playing RT or not even playing at all, I dont think we drafted incorrectly. I would have tried to get Leno in instead of waiting for Fisher to come back half way through the season (game 8 or so) BUT Leno looked ordinary the other night and Fisher is back by game 2 so ...looks like we may have made right call there (Now signing Tevi and trying to ride with Holden...NO BUENO)

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I blame both (bad play call and bad pass) but Wentz being the QB could clearly see Doyle wasn't there. Like I posted earlier if I was the QB I would blame myself for that. Of course Frank isn't going to throw Wentz on the train tracks, not his style so he will blame himself.

If you agree it should never have been called, at least you're sane lol... It was just a bad call for so many reasons.

And it's harder for me to get mad at player or players for failing when they are not set up for success. 

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

Have any of the LT picked in the 2021 draft started  ? Last I checked Darisaw was injured others are playing RT or not even playing at all, I dont think we drafted incorrectly. I would have tried to get Leno in instead of waiting for Fisher to come back half way through the season (game 8 or so) BUT Leno looked ordinary the other night and Fisher is back by game 2 so ...looks like we may have made right call there (Now signing Tevi and trying to ride with Holden...NO BUENO)

Hard to really predict how any player will be because of circumstance. Playing next to Nelson if any player was near good he would be good playing next to him. 

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

I dont mind the pick of Dayo. If he comes back this season and the Colts have a nasty pass rush as i think they will later in the season, it'll be worth it. I think the guys who're playing are not playing anywhere near as well as they have to. Whether it's on the line coach is another thing to consider, but the guys playing are off and nothing they've shown leads me to believe a rookie would have been the solution.

Oh I agree. I think Ballard was gambling a quite a bit with the Fischer signing, but it's really a matter of our guys not gelling and playing horribly. They need a whopping for not showing up and the coaches need one too for not getting their guys ready.

Just now, Solid84 said:

Oh I agree. I think Ballard was gambling a quite a bit with the Fischer signing, but it's really a matter of our guys not gelling and playing horribly. They need a whopping for not showing up and the coaches need one too for not getting their guys ready.

To expand, I'm so DONE with these slow starts. Ballard really needs to give Reich a smackin' for not getting the team ready for week 1.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you agree it should never have been called, at least you're sane lol... It was just a bad call for so many reasons.

And it's harder for me to get mad at player or players for failing when they are not set up for success. 

I am tanked but sane I think homer simpson dancing GIF- I didn't like the call but hated that Wentz couldn't adjust and make a better play by good QB play.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Honest question, which would you prefer?

I prefer aggressive.

Oh definitely. Just gotta be more creative if your Oline is broken at the moment.

I still like Frank, but I'm definitely starting to lean towards the side of him getting a dedicated play caller.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

To expand, I'm so DONE with these slow starts. Ballard really needs to give Reich a smackin' for not getting the team ready for week 1.

While I’m frustrated by the slow starts to the season, I’m more frustrated that our defense has shown for quite some time, an inability to put together a full game.

And yes Frank needs to get a fire lit under him. Sadly I think with covid and wentz’s injury, he’ll have a viable excuse.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Oh definitely. Just gotta be more creative if your Oline is broken at the moment.

I still like Frank, but I'm definitely starting to lean towards the side of him getting a dedicated play caller.

I think it was entirely possible he was seeing just how broken the line was. 

I can imagine leadership has an idea as to where this season will land when everything is settled.

While I’m frustrated by the slow starts to the season, I’m more frustrated that our defense has shown for quite some time, an inability to put together a full game.

And yes Frank needs to get a fire lit under him. Sadly I think with covid and wentz’s injury, he’ll have a viable excuse.

Every team has had to deal with covid - that's not an excuse.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I miss the Peyton days. I remember going to mom's on Thanksgiving and the division was over lol. We always started 7-0 haha 

And if we somehow lost a game like today we were guaranteed a 5 game win streak because he was so *... Lol

1 hour ago, bluebombers87 said:

And not one burner down the middle. I’m more concerned with our supposed elite o-line not getting any push in short yardage situations then play calling. If we can’t execute the simple stuff, bad news.

We were inside the 5 twice.     Zero points.    Play calling was an issue.   Not the only issue,  but an issue

Archived