Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The QBs

NannyMcafee

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

In pre-season games they are often told not to do that because coaches want to see players in specific plays.

You could clearly see the game plan for Eason was too work on the middle of the field intermediate throws where all the clutter comes from. Very vanilla. In a real game there will be RB checkdowns which we really didn’t see today.

16 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

The only reason i am not sold on eason is his pocket movement .  tom brady and manning were slow but amazing at shifting in the pocket left to right stepping up when feeling pressure off the edges .  Eason lacks pressure awareness and stands completely still staring down WRs.  against a good pass rush he is in trouble .

He will learn.

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You know, I have to ask this.

How many of the posters in this room actually watched Eason or Sam for that matter in college on a weekly basis throughout their entire college careers? 

or is this “same problem from college” just a rehashing of Easons draft profiles?

Well I watch alot of pac-12 and saw him play oregon state in person (Go Beavers!), so at least once lol.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Both these guys are so different. It’s just going to be what do they want. Eason can make every throw and showed a bunch of variety in his throws today. Looked like a NFL QB. Sam didn’t show a big variety in throws but can use his feet.  Looked like a college QB. 

What an insult.

21 minutes ago, life long said:

Yeah the tackles aren't great but the pressure came looping over and not from the inside, if he saw that his tackles were guiding the DE deep then you are taught to step up and deliver. 

This was exactly what I was trying to say but way better written. Thanks haha

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason threw several balls to the boundary. You really didn’t see that from Sam. A lot of crossing routes with Sam. So that could end up taking away a lot of the field where defenders don’t have to defend.

Please tell me what was insulting lol.

It was ridiculously biased towards Eason haha 

13 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I'd go with Eason, I dont think Sam's scrambles will work against first string defenses, hes not that fast.

Well to be fair the panthers were playing their 2nd string defense and the pressure still got to him. I dont think what Eason showed today will work against 1st string defenses either. Unless he feels the pocket and makes quicker decisions.

2 minutes ago, life long said:

Well to be fair the panthers were playing their 2nd string defense and the pressure still got to him. I dont think what Eason showed today will work against 1st string defenses either. Unless he feels the pocket and makes quicker decisions.

Well to be fairer, Colts were playing their 2nd string offense (o-line included).

4 minutes ago, life long said:

Well to be fair the panthers were playing their 2nd string defense and the pressure still got to him

He needs to work on moving in the pocket for sure.  That said the fumble should be blamed on the tackle, most qbs would have been sacked there.  Im not even sure if Jacob finished his drop back on that play

Anyone interested you can watch every play Eason and Ehlingers played on the NFL app, I just watched them both. 

Eason definitely has the way stronger arm and just overall better thrower of the ball (as we all know) he had some serious zip on some of those throws, but he is terrible at sensing pressure, and just doesn't move after his step back.

Ehlingers I have to say I disagree with the people saying there was less pressure, maybe a little but Ehlinger was able  to handle pressure well and scramble for first downs when plays broke down, where Eason took sacks. Although his interception was a bad one where the CB easily jumped in front.

Overall I'm leaning towards Ehlinger right now since we will be playing a backup LT.

For what it's worth....      These are Reich's comments about his QB's today made just after the game.

On Eason: “The two-minute drive was a clinic. He hit some really nice throws the whole first half. He had a couple lasers in there that really looked good. He put the ball on the ground one time and made one or two errors, mental mistakes that we will clean up. I thought he went out there and showed himself well.”

On Ehlinger “Sam had the rough start with the interception. We had a mental error on that play, somebody ran the wrong route. I got to see the tape to see how it all played out, still wasn’t a good throw. But then Sam bounced back. That’s the kind of thing we want to see from our quarterbacks, mental toughness. To be able to have a glitch and come back and play good football. I thought both of them did that. They are probably going to grade out as playing winning football at the end of the day.”

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Sam won the game for the colts no doubt about it .  sam had two massive clutch drives to take the win , plus  converted two  big key 3rd downs .

Keep in perspective it's against Walmart employees

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I understand that, but his inability to sense pressure which on that sack fumble he had all the room to step forward and avoid the sack is what is worrying. It’s his same problem from college

I think it happened a little more quickly than you're remembering . I have the game taped and will look at its later. If I think you're wrong , I'll revisit. If it appears you are right , I'll probably disappear.

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Keep in perspective it's against Walmart employees

Yep who you play against in the pre-season matters as much as what you do.  Frankly I don’t think anyone can say anyone “won” the job today but I think we can say no one “lost” the job today.  The competition keeps going for another week when the roles will be reversed.  It will be interesting to see how each does next week as well.

2 hours ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

That will come with more reps. This was his first game in the NFL. I think over time he can be developed to have enough pocket awareness and mobility to get by with. 

Absolutely and with our first string offensive line his ceiling is going to be very high. 

Honestly, over the past 20 years or so, I would have been more than happy with a backup who looked like either one.  As Manning's or Luck's backup, I would have been thrilled with either.  In this situation, however, with Wentz's bad luck with injuries, you have to look at either one like they could be your starter, and for more than a few games.  

For what it's worth....       Over on NFL.com it states that Frank says Jacob will start again next week vs. Minnesota and Sam will be the back-up gain.

But,  here on Colts.com,  they say it will be the announced plan....    that Sam gets the start vs. the Vikings, and Jacob will be the back-up.     Clearly, Im going with the team provided info, and not the NFL.com info.    I'm assuming that was either a typo, or the reporter simply misheard.

I've also read that Frank said he considered putting Sam in late in the 2nd quarter,  but didn't think it was fair to him that his first series would be a two minute situation.    That's why he held him out to the 3rd quarter.

Playing behind our regular starters (which means given time to throw), I'm getting less worried with either qb after this game. Accept for Sam's int (ironically when he was well protected), I thought most of their bad plays were when our sieve of an oline whiffed on somebody. Fwiw, I was more impressed with Eason. 

1 minute ago, cbear said:

Playing behind our regular starters (which means given time to throw), I'm getting less worried with either qb after this game. Accept for Sam's int (ironically when he was well protected), I thought most of their bad plays were when our sieve of an oline whiffed on somebody. Fwiw, I was more impressed with Eason. 

Remember..     Eason faced the 2nd team defense and Ehlinger got the 3rd and 4th string.   Carolina’s first string defense , which was in the sidelines,  is clearly better. 

Call it the Chad Kelly effect. 

Archived