Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The QBs

NannyMcafee

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Without sounding argumentative (because I'm not really arguing here).. I must have seen a different game. I keep seeing posts about the guy being "boring", "limited" or "not interesting" (because he wasn't drafted in the first round).. What on earth. Does every QB need to double as Barry Sanders? I don't get it frankly. Anyway, the PFF crowd saw what I saw. Also taking into consideration the nature of the opposition in front of him (and what he didn't have on the o-line speaks loudly to my judgment) it's just a different sample all together. Ehlinger looked okay-ish (his brand of football.. ) against guys who are going to be stocking shelves in a few weeks. I don't think that can be understated. If he was going to be able to operate against starters, he probably should have looked like Drew Brees against the string. 

Yeah, I was just saying why I think people don't like Eason. He's not a flashy or mobile QB.

Hell, many Colts fans didn't like Rivers last year because he was a statue and immobile. And Rivers was top 6 in passing efficiency and was a huge reason the Colts offense was as good as it was.

But I won't act like there aren't limitations to his game. And I think that could cap his overall ceiling. But as a passer, he was really good at executing the offense.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Not sure if this matters much because he played a lot. But kind of cool.

I saw this on Twitter and was just about to post it! The Panthers second string defense might not be the toughest out there, but he did well against his opponent. 

P.S. I also followed you on Twitter, @GC2James is my @ if you care to know

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Considering Sam is supposed to be really accurate that isn’t great. With all the deep plays from Eason him having 70% accuracy was pretty good

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I saw this on Twitter and was just about to post it! The Panthers second string defense might not be the toughest out there, but he did well against his opponent. 

Followed 

3 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

I hate to be wishy washy, but I am a bit on this. I also realize that I am not an NFL coach or executive and that I do not spend every day with these guys. 

If I'm trying to win one game right now, which may actually be the situation, I want Ehlinger. In general, "mobile" quarterbacks in the NFL not named Mahomes get killed. Everyone is so much faster than in college. However, for one or two games, it may give a better chance to win. Being able to move does slow down the rush.

If I want a quarterback to develop into a starter or backup who delivers from one game to the next, I want Eason. You can teach a big armed quarterback to have touch. You cannot teach someone to throw the way Eason does. I'm old enough to remember when John Elway was young and everyone claimed he threw everything too hard. Eason is not Elway, but the term "Eason Cross" may be applicable at times. 

The other question, then, is how quickly each can read and make decisions. Apparently, Ehlinger is better at this right now, at least in practice. This is another thing that can be taught, to an extent, but as I've said before, there are plenty of "cannon" arms who washed out in the NFL. Guys like Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell are more the rule than the exception.

this how I feel about all of it.  I don't think either one of these guys has much of a role in future Colt success.  If Wentz wasn't hurt, I'm not sure I'd know both of their first and last names.

But in the possibility of 1 or 2 games to start the season. I am pretty convinced SE is the better of two bad options.  His experience shows and he can make something out of a broken play.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Curtis Painter is on line one for you and Matt Hasselbeck is one line two.

Frankly it comes down to can the guy play.  If he can it doesn’t matter if you draft and develop him or go get one like the Colts did with Hasselbeck.  If they can’t play it doesn’t matter how much you try to develop them it’s never going to work, again see Painter.  

As is KC (Henne), BUF (Trubisky), CLE (Keenum), MIA (JB), LV (Mariota) and LAC (Daniel).

And that's just off the top of my head. It's fairly common to have a vet backup QB. They provide an extra set of eyes for the starting QB. And just because the team didn't develop that QB...it doesn't mean they can't also have relationships with the rest of the team.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Considering Sam is supposed to be really accurate that isn’t great. With all the deep plays from Eason him having 70% accuracy was pretty good

Followed 

They are not talking about completion%. They are talking about balls that they deem 'accurate' by whatever charting they are doing. No idea what Eason's accuracy was. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

this how I feel about all of it.  I don't think either one of these guys has much of a role in future Colt success.  If Wentz wasn't hurt, I'm not sure I'd know both of their first and last names.

But in the possibility of 1 or 2 games to start the season. I am pretty convinced SE is the better of two bad options.  His experience shows and he can make something out of a broken play.

I don't want to judge too much after one preseason game, so I won't. We will know a lot more in a few weeks.

But CAR had 0 starters on defense...that won't be the case in the regular season.

And if an NFL team saw that tape, I think they would just overload the left side of the OL and/or blitz Eason...and he would probably be in serious trouble. And if he's staring down reads, a starting defense will jump those routes. Doesn't matter how hard you throw.

With Ehlinger, just spy him as a runner and he would probably be very limited in what he could do. He's got some good speed for a QB, but he's probably not out-running a LBer with 4.5 speed who is chasing him.

Hopefully they repeat that 100% catch rate on deep passes again, because I think that the passing offense would struggle mightily. But I won't judge them yet.

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what little it may be worth…..   

I think a year from now, both Eason and Ehlinger will be even better.   Whether we ever go with three QBs in the future will be interesting to watch.   But I do look forward to seeing both improve…..

I kind of want all 3 on the roster. Even if Wentz is healthy. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think a year from now, both Eason and Ehlinger will be even better.   Whether we ever go with three QBs in the future will be interesting to watch.   But I do look forward to seeing both improve…..

I agree. Its a good problem to have. On the flip side you could argue if neither Sam or Jacob are not able to separate themselves as the true #2 then you may end up having to cut or trade one of them. Eason could potentially net a return for teams mid season who lost their QB to injuries and see him as a stop gap starter.  For those that say neither of them are really popping to them, this would be ideal.  If Wentz gets hurt, we could deal Eason for help on the Oline and bring in a vet QB. We dont need more QB's lives shortened because we failed to address the real problems up front.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is going to be a new norm for teams with unvaccinated QBs with the covid rules. You’re always one close contact (or worse) away from being in a real bind. And it can hit you out of nowhere right up until setting the game day roster. You don’t want QB3 just being some guy off the street because with QB2 being significantly more likely to play that also means QB3 is as well. You need QB3 to be able to enter a game and know enough to not be lost entirely out there. If you try to stash a guy with even just the basic knowledge of how to do that on the practice squad eventually some team is going to sign him to pick his brain to try and gain an advantage on you. The QB3 spot means significantly more to us than teams who aren’t in this position and I don’t see any way we don’t carry 3 on the roster all season. I doubt we ever have them all 3 active on game day, but definitely on the 53. 

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I don't want to judge too much after one preseason game, so I won't. We will know a lot more in a few weeks.

But CAR had 0 starters on defense...that won't be the case in the regular season.

And if an NFL team saw that tape, I think they would just overload the left side of the OL and/or blitz Eason...and he would probably be in serious trouble. And if he's staring down reads, a starting defense will jump those routes. Doesn't matter how hard you throw.

With Ehlinger, just spy him as a runner and he would probably be very limited in what he could do. He's got some good speed for a QB, but he's probably not out-running a LBer with 4.5 speed who is chasing him.

Hopefully they repeat that 100% catch rate on deep passes again, because I think that the passing offense would struggle mightily. But I won't judge them yet.

How to attack a rookie QB 101.  Blitz and then blitz again and then blitz some more.  That is why I'd go with Ehlinger as much as anything else.  He is almost certainly going to be better at hot reads.  

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

How to attack a rookie QB 101.  Blitz and then blitz again and then blitz some more.  That is why I'd go with Ehlinger as much as anything else.  He is almost certainly going to be better at hot reads.  

Ehlinger is the rookie qb.

42 minutes ago, Nickster said:

How do you stop that. Run the damn ball and check downs to the RB. We are great at both.

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I'll take Justin Fields over all other  rookies this past weekend.

I saw this graphic on Pat Mcafees show. Thought it was pretty cool to see Eason right there with some of the high draft picks. He did play more then most of these but still fun to see him. Fields played a lot too.

One of the for the colture guys mentioned if he had been in a coma the last 17 months and saw Eason play he would just assume Eason was the colts number first round pick. He looked like a rookie that you could develop into the franchise QB.

F1BEC614-E027-42DE-89EC-D2A7CED523E9.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

How do you stop that. Run the damn ball and check downs to the RB. We are great at both.

That’s almost impossible to do in today’s game without a legitimate passing threat.  Eason is far from great at check downs.  It’s his Achilles heel.  Some people thing that short passes are all check downs.  They are not necessarily.  Many of Eason's early passes were short no read or 1sr read throws, not check downs.  

When a guy like Eason is blitzed it’s pretty rough.  The oline will be behind with all the injuries and will not just be able to run the damn ball.

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That’s almost impossible to do in today’s game without a legitimate passing threat.  Eason is far from great at check downs.  It’s his Achilles heel.  Some people thing that short passes are all check downs.  They are not necessarily.  Many of Eason's early passes were short no read or 1sr read throws, not check downs.  

When a guy like Eason is blitzed it’s pretty rough.  The oline will be behind with all the injuries and will not just be able to run the damn ball.

Eason would end up burning them eventually and they would have to back off.

Sam would be the one I would worry about because he isn’t as big of a vertical threat.

The game plan yesterday was nothing like it would be in a real game. They clearly had a agenda for Eason and Sam.

Imo, Eason outplayed Ehlinger. Eason while facing better talent and pressure made NFL throws. Ehlinger was making plays up in the dirt which is fun to watch, but let's not act like Ehlinger wasn't terrible for 3/4 of his time out there. 

Imo it is clear that Eason is the better QB. After watching Sam play I can see why I kept hearing about his arm strength. It takes forever for his throws to make it to the receiver. I think the reason why people get excited ab him is his ability to make plays w his legs.

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It makes me mad he committed to that before the game yesterday. We need to see Eason with the starters. 

No we don’t we are fans.  The coaches do and have with practices and probably feel pretty good about the information they have.  If they felt like they needed to see him with the starters Frank would change his plan.  It happens all the time in the NFL.

Eason’s lack of pocket presence is being overblown.  Plenty of evidence in yesterday’s game to suggest he’s fine.  Even on the strip sack, he stepped up into the throwing lane.  But you have to have some trust that your tackle can push the defender wide.  I’m more impressed that Eason kept his eyes downfield and had that trust in his lineman.  Standing in the pocket used to mean ‘poise’ for a QB.  With the emergence of Mahomes, who is a rare gem, standing in the pocket now means you’re stiff.  

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason would end up burning them eventually and they would have to back off.

Sam would be the one I would worry about because he isn’t as big of a vertical threat.

The game plan yesterday was nothing like it would be in a real game. They clearly had a agenda for Eason and Sam.

Time will tell Wentzy.  Or actually hopefully not.  Carson is ready for week 1 and none of this is relevant.   please GIF

9 hours ago, shasta519 said:

He's not blameless in that situation, obviously. I am just saying the LT did enough there. He rode the ER 10 yards past the LOS. Eason only got hit on the arm, so if moves at all, he's not getting touched.

That's more on Eason for being a statute and not stepping up. If you are going to be an immobile QB, you have to have pocket presence.

In the play, he's clearly staring at his first read. And since he's 10 yard behind the LOS, he can see what's happening and he can see the room he has to move up. He only got hit on the arm, so if moves at all, he's not getting touched.

It's just something he will have to get better at. If Eason requires a completely clean pocket (that far behind the LOS) all the time then that's a problem.

Ugh.  Peyton Manning, the person that basically is responsible for forcing defenses to get faster because he could read defenses faster than they could get to him, averaged a 2.5-2.25 release time.  All time great.  Yeah, let's blame the a preseason first time start Eason in a preseason game for not being good enough.  Com'on dude.  Not saying he was perfect, but at least complain about things that matter.  You're way off  the mark here...

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

Eason’s lack of pocket presence is being overblown.  Plenty of evidence in yesterday’s game to suggest he’s fine.  Even on the strip sack, he stepped up into the throwing lane.  But you have to have some trust that your tackle can push the defender wide.  I’m more impressed that Eason kept his eyes downfield and had that trust in his lineman.  Standing in the pocket used to mean ‘poise’ for a QB.  With the emergence of Mahomes, who is a rare gem, standing in the pocket now means you’re stiff.  

I thought Eason played very well and anyone who wants to say anything bad about Eason because of the strip sack. They should look at Peyton's old tape because he got striped sacked and he's in the hall of fame. 

7 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Watch that vid again. That's a 35 yd flick of his arm. He hardly even stepped into the throw. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I got a good look at him and i was mighty impressed.

He looked like a guy you give up 3 #1's for. And i don't recall ever thinking that about ANYONE.

With respect,   it's one preseason game.   I think that much praise is a little over the top,  especially for a qb that is going to run a lot.   Those guys tend to have short careers.   

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

We will see how he does this week against first stringers

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I got a good look at him and i was mighty impressed.

He looked like a guy you give up 3 #1's for. And i don't recall ever thinking that about ANYONE.

Oh for god sakes. There were no starters or anything being schemed. Might as well be backyard football

19 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Both QBs were very good, and we could argue and critique all their individual attributes.

but there is no denying... Ehlinger brought the team back and won the game for us.

Both QB led the team to the same amount of pts I believe. Easons drive to end the half was just as important. They also had the same amount of snaps. 39 a piece.

Archived