Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The QBs


NannyMcafee
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

With respect,   it's one preseason game.   I think that much praise is a little over the top,  especially for a qb that is going to run a lot.   Those guys tend to have short careers.   

I don’t think Fields will run like a Lamar Jackson. Fields is probably closer to what Wentz does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Both QB led the team to the same amount of pts I believe. Easons drive to end the half was just as important. They also had the same amount of snaps. 39 a piece.

Eason's drive may have been just as important...

but there is something special about rallying the team back from behind, to win the game.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think Fields will run like a Lamar Jackson. Fields is probably closer to what Wentz does.

He ran 5 times last weekend.   It was his first action,  that could change.   A lot of the mobile qbs rely on their mobility when things break down.  Eventually they get creamed.  I'm not hoping that for the kid,   just my observation of the running qbs.  I think Lamar will have the same fate

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Eason's drive may have been just as important...

but there is something special about rallying the team back from behind, to win the game.

 

Against guys who will be insurance salesman next month

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He ran 5 times last weekend.   It was his first action,  that could change.   A lot of the mobile qbs rely on their mobility when things break down.  Eventually they get creamed.  I'm not hoping that for the kid,   just my observation of the running qbs.  I think Lamar will have the same fate

I do think Lamar will have a short career. He plays more of a running back style. I think of Fields more in the mold of extending plays. He will use his feet but nothing like Lamar. The thing with fields is he can rely on his arm. Something Jackson can’t do. So when his legs go he will be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eason had a really good comment after the game. This probably goes for both QB. He says playing was so different then practice because there is less clutter around. In practice you have players and coaches behind you. All kinds of chatter going on. It’s easier to focus on just the game then when your in practice. He said you see things clearer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Eason had a really good comment after the game. This probably goes for both QB. He says playing was so different then practice because there is less clutter around. In practice you have players and coaches behind you. All kinds of chatter going on. It’s easier to focus on just the game then when your in practice. He said you see things clearer.

He just sounds relaxed...mature, and focused. All those arrogant comments when he was drafted seem off base. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Against guys who will be insurance salesman next month

Right, and the Colts had a bunch of scrubs out there as well.

Ehlinger can't control which players were out on the field when he played...

And perhaps Jacob Eason could have done the same, if he were out there at the end? That we will never know...

but regardless, Ehlinger did what he did, and pulled out one of the most entertaining finishes to a Colts preseason game that I can remember in recent times.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say this, the QB competition is making this one of the funner training camps in recent history.  There is a reason to like both QB's, and with the Ballard way of developing from within, I believe we keep and develop both going forward.  I am hopeful for both to improve, but if we can get Eason to make his reads a little faster, I think he has the higher ceiling with the ability to make every throw on the field.  Conversely, there is no reason to think that Ehlinger can't do some strength work, and work with a QB coach in the offseason to make those throws outside of the numbers a little sharper.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

He just sounds relaxed...mature, and focused. All those arrogant comments when he was drafted seem off base. 

Everyone talks about Sams moxi but the way Eason stood tall in the pocket and took those hits really surprised me. Showed his toughness. He has a little moxi too. I didn’t realize he is almost 24. He should be sounding relaxed and mature. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

I will say this, the QB competition is making this one of the funner training camps in recent history.  There is a reason to like both QB's, and with the Ballard way of developing from within, I believe we keep and develop both going forward.  I am hopeful for both to improve, but if we can get Eason to make his reads a little faster, I think he has the higher ceiling with the ability to make every throw on the field.  Conversely, there is no reason to think that Ehlinger can't do some strength work, and work with a QB coach in the offseason to make those throws outside of the numbers a little sharper.

So the question is, who can develop faster?  Brains or brawns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

I will say this, the QB competition is making this one of the funner training camps in recent history.  There is a reason to like both QB's, and with the Ballard way of developing from within, I believe we keep and develop both going forward.  I am hopeful for both to improve, but if we can get Eason to make his reads a little faster, I think he has the higher ceiling with the ability to make every throw on the field.  Conversely, there is no reason to think that Ehlinger can't do some strength work, and work with a QB coach in the offseason to make those throws outside of the numbers a little sharper.

Zach hicks who does a lot of stories in QB mechanics was asked if Sams velocity can be increased. He mentioned sometimes if mechanics are off then it can effect the velocity. But he also said when he went back and looked at Sams mechanics they seemed pretty sound.

 

There was something Eason does that was pretty poor mechanics and he mentioned how it was a easy fix. I think it was something about fading backwards after you finished your drop back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim Ayello said he is going to ask Reich this week how he views Sam starting with more starters this week and how he can compare the two when Eason didn’t get them yesterday. I will be interested in that question. It’s something I have wondered about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I like Ehlinger's accuracy. If he is not a fireball thrower so be it with his accuracy. With the triple threat RBs the Colts have how good does the QB have to be?

Eason was actually 70% Which was better then sams. Sams was still good too though. With as many long balls Eason threw 70% was very good. He had been struggling in practice with deep balls. Which does back to they are just trying stuff in practice to see if it works.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Sam and Eason both played in very big programs as freshman in high pressure situations. They are probably tougher then anyone thinks.

Yeah playing Division 1 Football in college for a big school and being good is hard to do. I never reached that level and most don't. We will see if they can play average or better on the NFL level. Like I said earlier, I just hope Wentz gets healthy and plays all 17 games. This is a make or break year for Wentz so I want to see what he is made of. If he plays good-great we will be tough to beat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

They have to be good enough to keep the opposing defense from stacking the box.

Yeah Wentz has to be on the good level like Rivers was last year at least for us to be a threat in the playoffs. He doesn't have to be Peyton or Luck but it would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Everyone talks about Sams moxi but the way Eason stood tall in the pocket and took those hits really surprised me. Showed his toughness. He has a little moxi too. I didn’t realize he is almost 24. He should be sounding relaxed and mature. 

Really? He didn't react to the pressure and got sacked, we're taking this as a good thing now? Come on...

 

I think Eason has to accelerate his awareness quite a bit. With his lack of mobility you at least have to own the pocket.

 

Sam has to take fewer risks. He had a bad interception and another throw that could have been an int.

 

They both still have a ways to go, but given time they can both become fine backups in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ugh.  Peyton Manning, the person that basically is responsible for forcing defenses to get faster because he could read defenses faster than they could get to him, averaged a 2.5-2.25 release time.  All time great.  Yeah, let's blame the a preseason first time start Eason in a preseason game for not being good enough.  Com'on dude.  Not saying he was perfect, but at least complain about things that matter.  You're way off  the mark here...

Pocket presence matters.  Perhaps the most important part of the passing game.  Or at least it starts from there, you can’t complete what you can’t read and you can’t throw lying on your back.  

I haven’t been arguing for long  term success either,  I hope we never see either of these on these guys except in mop up duty.  
 

I personally think Eason doesn’t give us much of a chance come this September if Wentz isn’t available.  Too slow in the read.  If the  NFL had a 10 Mississippi rushing rule, Eason would be an all time great.  But thems ain’t the rules.

 


 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ugh.  Peyton Manning, the person that basically is responsible for forcing defenses to get faster because he could read defenses faster than they could get to him, averaged a 2.5-2.25 release time.  All time great.  Yeah, let's blame the a preseason first time start Eason in a preseason game for not being good enough.  Com'on dude.  Not saying he was perfect, but at least complain about things that matter.  You're way off  the mark here...


Manning?
 

Manning would have seen the pressure and moved up. At Eason’s age, Manning was not a statue either. 
 

I didn’t even bring up the play, someone else did and then completely absolved Eason of blame. That was incorrect. 

 

It’s just one play, but since Eason is not very mobile, his pocket presence and awareness is a relevant topic, especially in a thread about QB play. 
 

He could be their starter in a few weeks, what’s the point of kid gloves?
 

And nobody has said he can’t improve it, but it is definitely an area for improvement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Pocket presence matters.  Perhaps the most important part of the passing game.  Or at least it starts from there, you can’t complete what you can’t read and you can’t throw lying on your back.  

I haven’t been arguing for long  term success either,  I hope we never see either of these on these guys except in mop up duty.  
 

I personally think Eason doesn’t give us much of a chance come this September if Wentz isn’t available.  Too slow in the read.  If the  NFL had a 10 Mississippi rushing rule, Eason would be an all time great.  But thems ain’t the rules.

 


 

 

I get what you’re saying, but his 2 minute drill was pretty good. He was decisive during that drive ( though I don’t know how many of those throws were first reads or not).  Still hoping for Wentz to be back in time to start week 1 though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decisiveness and pocket presence improves with repetition and comfort level.  It’s why people practice every day.  No QB gets the golden ticket to the NFL without those traits.  Yes, some end up better than others, but let’s give Eason a few more snaps before we judge his entire career.  Based on game one, I think he’s in a good place.  Whether he’s starter material remains to be seen, but regardless, he appears to be an excellent back-up prospect.  Some tried to judge Jonathon Taylor’s career in a half season, even trying to point out weaknesses that didn’t exist.  Probably best to wait and see how things play out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, NannyMcafee said:

I wasnt able to watch the game. I got to listen to parts and the announcers sure made the game seem exciting. 

 

Can anyone tell me how Jacob and Sam did today? Impressed by either?

Obviously it’s preseason so u have to take it with a grain of salt most starters was not playing etc… but from what I saw they both played decent winning football. I definitely saw the arm talent they was talking about with Eason who had some lasers and nice touch deep passes but he created some drop balls by putting to much on it even doe it did hit the wr hands or was catchable. Eason did hold on to ball at times but was on the money on others . With Sam I saw what the talk was about with the arm power his balls got there and had good touch a catchable ball but I didn’t see no zip on any of his passes. Sam had a good sense of when to scramble gaining some good yards on the ground. 
 

so to wrap it up from game one I would say Eason has a legitimate NFL arm , not really mobile gonna need a good pocket and oline but can keep defenses honest because he can make all the throws when and if he develops. Sam will have to use his Intangibles like running and timing etc… I just didn’t see that zip but maybe he was throwing it like that idk 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:


Manning?
 

Manning would have seen the pressure and moved up. At Eason’s age, Manning was not a statue either. 
 

I didn’t even bring up the play, someone else did and then completely absolved Eason of blame. That was incorrect. 

 

It’s just one play, but since Eason is not very mobile, his pocket presence and awareness is a relevant topic, especially in a thread about QB play. 
 

He could be their starter in a few weeks, what’s the point of kid gloves?
 

And nobody has said he can’t improve it, but it is definitely an area for improvement. 

 

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Pocket presence matters.  Perhaps the most important part of the passing game.  Or at least it starts from there, you can’t complete what you can’t read and you can’t throw lying on your back.  

I haven’t been arguing for long  term success either,  I hope we never see either of these on these guys except in mop up duty.  
 

I personally think Eason doesn’t give us much of a chance come this September if Wentz isn’t available.  Too slow in the read.  If the  NFL had a 10 Mississippi rushing rule, Eason would be an all time great.  But thems ain’t the rules.

 


 

 

Pocket presence matters.  Reading defenses matter.  I agree.  But the 1.9 seconds that was being complained about, those 1.9 seconds until getting sacked means you getting hit by the time you finish your drop back.  Those are the types of plays were Manning would just fall to the ground before he could even decide who he wanted to throw it to.  Your complaints you just mentioned - pocket presence and awareness - are fair points.  I'll even  throw in on top of yours, he wasn't quick enough going through progressions and maybe he could've foreseen the blitz and audibled out.  But he didn't foresee it, and you expect a rookie QB to have some learning pains.  I get it, but no one plays a perfect game.  All I was trying to say was, let's not nickpick the dang 1.9 second sack.  If he fumbles, gets sacked, or both after it's been 3 seconds, then yeah, he bears a big portion of blame.  But I'm looking at the line and giving the defense credit long before I look at Eason and say, he should've done better on that particular play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Breeze said:

Decisiveness and pocket presence improves with repetition and comfort level.  It’s why people practice every day.  No QB gets the golden ticket to the NFL without those traits.  Yes, some end up better than others, but let’s give Eason a few more snaps before we judge his entire career.  Based on game one, I think he’s in a good place.  Whether he’s starter material remains to be seen, but regardless, he appears to be an excellent back-up prospect.  Some tried to judge Jonathon Taylor’s career in a half season, even trying to point out weaknesses that didn’t exist.  Probably best to wait and see how things play out.

Not judging the career, just judging for myself if he is ready to help us be competitive in 3 weeks if called on. That is really my only interest in the dude right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...