Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The QBs

NannyMcafee

They both played well. Eason led them to a TD in a 2 minute drive to end the first. Sam Las then to a FG to win the game. Eason had 183 yards no INT. Elinger had one big pass  that helped his yards. I think he had around 130 or something and one INT. Both played a half.

• Like 3

It was kind of what you expect with Eason didn’t see Ehlinger play. Eason made some amazing throws and made some what should of been easy catches harder. He also was a bit of a statue who couldn’t sense the rush. Basically what he was in college. 

an interesting stat to me and I will be interested to see how the next game goes is that Eason was sacked 3 times for -28 yards while Ehlinger had zero sacks and 30 yards rushing

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They both played well. Eason led them to a TD in a 2 minute drive to end the first. Sam Las then to a FG to win the game. Eason had 183 yards no INT. Elinger had one big pass  that helped his yards. I think he had around 130 or something and one INT. Both played a half.

Lol come on Chloe, I know you are team Jacob but they each had a turnover and a Td drive. Eason also had one big pass that helped his yards. Not to say you said anything incorrect but I sense you don't like that Sam may be getting more love than Eason. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

It was kind of what you expect with Eason didn’t see Ehlinger play. Eason made some amazing throws and made some what should of been easy catches harder. He also was a bit of a statue who couldn’t sense the rush. Basically what he was in college. 

an interesting stat to me and I will be interested to see how the next game goes is that Eason was sacked 3 times for -28 yards while Ehlinger had zero sacks and 30 yards rushing

Pressure in the 1st half was considerable more than in the 2nd half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

Again this is true but one has to wonder if the pressure in the 2nd half was negated by Ehlinger being more mobile in and out of the pocket.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Eason had almost a 30 point QB rating than Sam.

Yeah that’s the INT.  Like I said in another thread though given the fact Eason didn’t throw a pick and played against people higher on the depth chart I’d go with Eason for now.  We will get another good luck next week when the roles are reversed and Sam starts.

• Like 2

Eason is a statue with a great arm, but needs to lay off a bit on the short and intermediate throws.

Ehlinger is athletic and seems to have that intangible instinct, but his arm leaves a bit to be desired.

They are Carson Wentz split into two humans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thought both QB's did well.  The situation is as the media has framed it, Eason has the NFL arm, and when protected looks like a solid QB.  Ehlinger has the mobility to extend plays, but his arm strength causes him problems when needing to thread the needle in an NFL type small separation.  Overall, I give a slight edge to Eason, but these are two QB's worthy of developing and keeping in house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DattMavis said:

Eason is a statue with a great arm, but needs to lay off a bit on the short and intermediate throws.

Ehlinger is athletic and seems to have that intangible instinct, but his arm leaves a bit to be desired.

They are Carson Wentz split into two humans.

I wouldn't calll Eason a statue. That's a bit rough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, life long said:

Lol come on Chloe, I know you are team Jacob but they each had a turnover and a Td drive. Eason also had one big pass that helped his yards. Not to say you said anything incorrect but I sense you don't like that Sam may be getting more love than Eason. 

I forgot about the fumble. I didn’t leave it out on purpose. Both the plays by them were the result of a bad play by another position. Bad LT play and a WR running the wrong route.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Thanks I was wondering if that was what happened, I didn’t see the second half. I will say Eason could of avoided at least 1 of the sacks I saw if he just took one step forward and it worries me that he couldn’t sense the pressure but the OL was horrendous. 

overall I think you can make an argument for both QBs after this game. I think we will learn a lot more after the Vikings game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Thanks I was wondering if that was what happened, I didn’t see the second half. I will say Eason could of avoided at least 1 of the sacks I saw if he just took one step forward and it worries me that he couldn’t sense the pressure but the OL was horrendous. 

overall I think you can make an argument for both QBs after this game. I think we will learn a lot more after the Vikings game

I don’t think one starting oline played. Not sure if glow did or not. But smith didn’t play either. I am not worked if the oline is intact.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I wouldn't calll Eason a statue. That's a bit rough.

He looked less mobile than Rivers in this one lol

edit: Yes I am exaggerating to make this joke

I think they both played well considering their first actually NFL game(minus most starters on the panthers) both im sure both would like to take back at 30 percent of the plays to redo. Part of a stiff learning curve i guess. i truly believe by the end of preseason 3, it will be clear who is the no 2 behind Carson 

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s the INT.  Like I said in another thread though given the fact Eason didn’t throw a pick and played against people higher on the depth chart I’d go with Eason for now.  We will get another good luck next week when the roles are reversed and Sam starts.

Except San will most likely get guys like Pittman and Pascal. We will see how long they play though.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think one starting oline played. Not sure if glow did or not. But smith didn’t play either. I am not worked if the oline is intact.

I understand that, but his inability to sense pressure which on that sack fumble he had all the room to step forward and avoid the sack is what is worrying. It’s his same problem from college

The only reason i am not sold on eason is his pocket movement .  tom brady and manning were slow but amazing at shifting in the pocket left to right stepping up when feeling pressure off the edges .  Eason lacks pressure awareness and stands completely still staring down WRs.  against a good pass rush he is in trouble .

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Sam won the game for the colts no doubt about it .  sam had two massive clutch drives to take the win , plus  converted two  big key 3rd downs .

Guess you missed the end of the first half and that 2 minute drill. Eason had some 3rd down plays too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Captain_Colts1317 said:

He had a couple nice roll outs in the game if I remember correctly. 

1 nice rollout. He also was sacked 3 times. One or two of which could've been easily avoided if he felt the edge and stepped up.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I understand that, but his inability to sense pressure which on that sack fumble he had all the room to step forward and avoid the sack is what is worrying. It’s his same problem from college

That was goldens fault. If a QB can’t even take a couple steps and the end is already there you have a LT issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, life long said:

1 nice rollout. He also was sacked 3 times. One or two of which could've been easily avoided if he felt the edge and stepped up.

That will come with more reps. This was his first game in the NFL. I think over time he can be developed to have enough pocket awareness and mobility to get by with. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, life long said:

I haven’t watched the replays yet, but there were two sacks where it was like a dang jail break up front, he Barely got the ball before he was in the ground. 

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

You know, I have to ask this.

How many of the posters in this room actually watched Eason or Sam for that matter in college on a weekly basis throughout their entire college careers? 

or is this “same problem from college” just a rehashing of Easons draft profiles?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I haven’t watched the replays yet, but there were two sacks where it was like a dang jail break up front, he Barely got the ball before he was in the ground. 

That was on Eason.  He needed to check out of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Yeah the tackles aren't great but the pressure came looping over and not from the inside, if he saw that his tackles were guiding the DE deep then you are taught to step up and deliver. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2