Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers Postgame Postmortem.

John Waylon

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I now that. Maybe I didn’t word that right. I thought it was impressive the young WR played so well. It showed how deep we are at WR.

Ahhhh. That makes more sense. I definitely agree with that. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Harris had a catch

Did he? There was a small bit of the second quarter I missed on a snack run. 

Even with a catch that must have been his only target. How many targets did Strachan and Patmon get? And how many did Vaughns and Black get in the second half? He’s not doing well in the fray out there. I noticed it at camp the day I was there (the first day Wentz missed) but I didn’t think anything of it at the time because of the circumstances, but now, yeah. He just seems to be a guy who just isn’t figured in. 

Since this is the post-Mortem thread, this goes here….

I’d simply offer this….   It’s just one game.   And they didn’t play their starting QB nor their all-world running back.  They also didn’t play any of their first string defense.   In short, try not to read too much into what we saw today.   

Things are likely to look different next week and different again the week after that.   We are still early in this pre-season marathon and things are going to change, mostly for better, but there will be some worse.   It’s inevitable. Even after the third pre-season game we have 16 more days.   Those will be huge. 

Patience is your friend!    :thmup:

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

Pascal is one of the best blocking WRs in the league (if not the best). Strachan is big, but I haven't seen anywhere near the blocking prowess from him yet.

Pascal has been in the league 4 years.   Strachan has played 1 preseason game.    

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Something no one is talking about is Pitman, Pascal didn’t play and we have some young very good WR.

I’ve seen credit for the young WRs so I don’t get your point.  The general thought in this thread is how deep the Colts are at a lot or positions including WR.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since this is the post-Mortem thread, this goes here….

I’d simply offer this….   It’s just one game.   And they didn’t play their starting QB nor their all-world running back.  They also didn’t play any of their first string defense.   In short, try not to read too much into what we saw today.   

Things are likely to look different next week and different again the week after that.   We are still early in this pre-season marathon and things are going to change, mostly for better, but there will be some worse.   It’s inevitable. Even after the third pre-season game we have 16 more days.   Those will be huge. 

Patience is your friend!    :thmup:

Yeah, but it was entertaining.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve seen credit for the young WRs so I don’t get your point.  The general thought in this thread is how deep the Colts are at a lot or positions including WR.

I corrected this above. I was talking about our Depth. The ones that played today looked great and that was without 3 of them.

If I didn't see that first drive, I'd say put in Davenport at LT as Holden looked terrible in pass blocking, even playing into the 4th Q. Davenport blew a couple pass blocks early, but was solid after that. 

I still think Wilkins is a thousand yard back. Just his luck he plays on this team. 

Turay disappointed slightly. With him going against bu players, I thought he'd feast. He looks bigger and stronger though.

Banogu looks much improved. He looked like he at least was a threat to get to the qb. 

That dt #66 impressed. 

I was curious to see what everyone thought of Reich’s play calling? I thought he was very solid EXCEPT the 4&1 rollout he had Eason do. Not his strength at all and there was no outlet so he just got sacked and looked bad. 

id give him a B+ on play calling today. That one stinker was really it, but I may be forgetting some

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I was curious to see what everyone thought of Reich’s play calling? I thought he was very solid EXCEPT the 4&1 rollout he had Eason do. Not his strength at all and there was no outlet so he just got sacked and looked bad. 

id give him a B+ on play calling today. That one stinker was really it, but I may be forgetting some

I am not judging anyone’s play calling in the pre-season because it’s not called the same way as a regular season game.  Often times it’s just the base offense to make sure they don’t give anything away and to see how guys do in specific plays not so much related to what’s going on in the game. Like the Colts came out throwing much more today than they probably would in a regular season game probably to see what Eason could do.  

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

They are going to try stuff in preseason they won’t try in a regular game. 

The tackles worry me but not too much yet. A real game your going to be able to help that LT. They didn’t even try that today as they wanted to see what they could do. 

It is going to be difficult to judge the offense until the OL gets back to at least 80% full strength, still I was impressed by their ability to be fairly productive even with questionable OL help.

Now I want to see the team to get healthy on both sides of the ball.

Good to see multiple players out there making solid plays! 

I just wanted to observe that Coach Reich has done a great job handling these two young QBs and this situation.  Really happy with the way both of them played this weekend.  Feel better about how things are going to look until Wentz returns too.  

Line deserves cred too, as does the talent around them.  But both those QBs really showed up and it's a testament to them but also to this staff.  Hope it continues.

SIMPLE OBSERVATIONS

before I log in to work

• I can't wait for our starters to come back.  Watching the backup OL and DL was excruciating.
  • Trouble at corner.  RYS standing around watching the play really didn't look good.  But injuries and mediocre play by Carrie and Tell gives us few options.  I see a Syracuse corner in the 2nd round in our future.
  • Both QB's performed fine.  Neither was stellar, but neither sucked either.  I would prefer Wentz starts vs the Seahawks, but either of these guys can make a go of it.  We don't need to find another QB to start the season.

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I think you’re right on with the WR’s. I think Harris will be an unpopular cut, and there’s just no way you keep Black or Vaughns on anything more than the practice squad.  

Harris seems like a bubble guy to me right now. He played today and I don’t think he even had a target. He just does not seem to be a guy they have figured in. 

He had 1 catch for 6 yards on 1 attempt his way.  Not the volume Strachan and Patmon had.. but it is preseason and the coaches know what Harris can do in real games moreso than Patmon or Strachan because Harris performed well when he was brought up last year, so there's always the possibility he had limited targets due to that.

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Pascal has been in the league 4 years.   Strachan has played 1 preseason game.    

I'm aware of that, but if you're trying to talk about putting out an insanely good WR/TE run blocking unit, include the best run blockers, not a rookie that hasn't shown the ability yet. Strachan definitely has potential to become a really good run blocker, but that wasn't was the prior comment was insinuating.

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

SIMPLE OBSERVATIONS

before I log in to work

• I can't wait for our starters to come back.  Watching the backup OL and DL was excruciating.
  • Trouble at corner.  RYS standing around watching the play really didn't look good.  But injuries and mediocre play by Carrie and Tell gives us few options.  I see a Syracuse corner in the 2nd round in our future.
  • Both QB's performed fine.  Neither was stellar, but neither sucked either.  I would prefer Wentz starts vs the Seahawks, but either of these guys can make a go of it.  We don't need to find another QB to start the season.

CB is the only position that worries me at this point. I feel like we have a lot of talent and depth at every other position but that one. Moore is good, and hopefully Rhodes will have another solid season. I’m not sure we really have anyone dependable behind those two, though. 

35 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

He had 1 catch for 6 yards on 1 attempt his way.  Not the volume Strachan and Patmon had.. but it is preseason and the coaches know what Harris can do in real games moreso than Patmon or Strachan because Harris performed well when he was brought up last year, so there's always the possibility he had limited targets due to that.

Harris's value is on special teams. I think it would be easier to stash Patmon on the PS. Strachan would be on another team's roster in a second. The genie is out of the bottle. The depth is nice to have, though. If our top four was not already solid, there would be even more talk about all of these guys. Also, if someone like TY is hurt, it will be easier to hold them out and let them heal more. It's a long season.

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

He appeared in 7 games, and had 10 catches for 79 yards. His longest catch of 21 yards equates for more than a quarter of his yards. He’s never scored a TD and he’s never had more than 30 yards in a game. 

While the contribution is appreciated, let’s hold the phone acting like anything he did last year made a huge difference, was enough to earn him an automatic roster spot for this season, or that the coaches somehow know beyond a shadow of doubt that he’s better than player X, Y, or Z and don’t actually need to see it on the field in a game. 

Harris is way closer to “flash in the pan” than he is a roster spot on this team right now. 

He gets this fanfare because he’s the unknown underdog that came out of nowhere and made a couple nice plays in a couple games (and then disappeared entirely,) last season. He’ll be an unpopular cut, but we’re not exactly sending the next Reggie Wayne packing even though that is in fact going to be the reaction when the time comes. 

- I liked what I saw from our QBs but I'm leaning towards Eason.  I like his arm.  He was throwing bullets into single and double coverage and it was getting there.  He'll need to learn about touch.  Also, his pocket presence needs to get better quick.  I liked Sam, but I feel like it was more his legs getting the job done.  He'll need to get better at throwing people open.  His arm might be questionable but he definitely has that playmaker ability.  Right now, I think Eason is the man but Sam might BECOME the man.

- Michael Strachan OMG!  He's going to be a problem.  Get him in single coverage and with a QB who can put it up and GG.  Liked what I saw.  Hope he becomes our 4th WR behind TY, MPJ, and PC.  With the right coaching, he could be the steal of the draft.

- Disappointed we couldn't see Paye, but Turay and Ban was solid. 

- Good to Mack out there!  But he's missing that cutting ability he had before he got injured.  He'll get it back, but he's lucky he resigned here.  He'll have time to run behind Wilk and JT.  Wilk looks solid also and ready to go.  With JT, Wilk, Mack, And Heim I don't see why this unit cannot move the chains.  Whoever our QB is, they should be handing the ball off a lot IMO.

- Defense was honestly stout.  They were on the field a lot and was holding it down.  Gave up some big plays but these are our backups.  Depth on defense is looking GREAT!

- We need to fix LT!!!!

- IDK what's going on with Rock but come on man.

My thoughts:

QBs- Eason and Ehlinger were actually both better than I expected. Especially Eason considering its his first game action in 2 years. His feet get stuck in concrete after his drop back which leads to easier pressures, and makes our terrible LTs look worse then they already are, but thats something that can be easily corrected. The arm talent is a sight for sore eyes after the QB carousel we've had around here. Ehlinger showed the gamer attitude which was nice to see. Still unsure of his arm playing at this level. Next week when he gets the start vs ones and two will be very telling for his future.

RBs- Embarrassment of riches here. I really think we have to move Wilkins, he's FAR to good to be a #4 and special teamer. He just won't get the reps here. I think flip him to the Eagles or Jets as both RB rooms are questionable. Was pleasantly surprised by Benny Lemay. Thought he looked fantastic. He'd be a nice guy to keep around on the PS.

WRs- I think might be our most underrated group. No we don't have a Diggs or a Hopkins, but we're just sooooo deep here. I thought Patmon looked good, alot more polished than last year and got good seperation. Strachan flashed that sky high potential. I like both but I feel like Patmon in the end will be the odd man out sadly. I like them both more than Dulin but they seem to love Dulins special team value which is fair.

TEs-  I think Farrod Green is a guy who surprises people and ends up making the team. Probably the best blocking TE we have, and apparently caught everything thrown to him in camp. Not a vertical threat but we do need a Doyle replacement soon. Especially considering our Tackle issues, I think they;ll value good blocking TEs.

Ts- I don't even want to talk about it. Somehow they were all worse than I even thought they would be. That said, Carolinas looked just as bad somehow lol.

Defense Notes:

- Was not impressed with Rochell at all. Guy made several rookie level mistakes, but he's not even close to a rookie anymore. Definitely need to see more.

- Still not excited by Turay or Banogu, I just don't see it.

- Rock looks the same as always, can never turn and find the ball which will always kill him. The play he quit on was actually pretty shocking to watch, I actually had to rewind it and see if I actually saw what I thought I saw. Not a good look for a guy wanting to start.

- Campbell and Chareche looked good and flashed a few times with good tackles and big hits. Like them as safety depth for sure.

- Franklin has improved a ton since he got here. He'll likely be the SAM starter for us which I'm more than ok with.

I was at the game. Sat in section 145. Sat in row 1. I think from now on I will take some of the slightly higher seats because I could not see the other end of the field. Anyways, 17 had a game huh. 

Also Mack appears to be back. Made some good runs with an OL we collected from the local high schools. 

48 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

My thoughts:

QBs- Eason and Ehlinger were actually both better than I expected. Especially Eason considering its his first game action in 2 years. His feet get stuck in concrete after his drop back which leads to easier pressures, and makes our terrible LTs look worse then they already are, but thats something that can be easily corrected. The arm talent is a sight for sore eyes after the QB carousel we've had around here. Ehlinger showed the gamer attitude which was nice to see. Still unsure of his arm playing at this level. Next week when he gets the start vs ones and two will be very telling for his future.

RBs- Embarrassment of riches here. I really think we have to move Wilkins, he's FAR to good to be a #4 and special teamer. He just won't get the reps here. I think flip him to the Eagles or Jets as both RB rooms are questionable. Was pleasantly surprised by Benny Lemay. Thought he looked fantastic. He'd be a nice guy to keep around on the PS.

WRs- I think might be our most underrated group. No we don't have a Diggs or a Hopkins, but we're just sooooo deep here. I thought Patmon looked good, alot more polished than last year and got good seperation. Strachan flashed that sky high potential. I like both but I feel like Patmon in the end will be the odd man out sadly. I like them both more than Dulin but they seem to love Dulins special team value which is fair.

TEs-  I think Farrod Green is a guy who surprises people and ends up making the team. Probably the best blocking TE we have, and apparently caught everything thrown to him in camp. Not a vertical threat but we do need a Doyle replacement soon. Especially considering our Tackle issues, I think they;ll value good blocking TEs.

Ts- I don't even want to talk about it. Somehow they were all worse than I even thought they would be. That said, Carolinas looked just as bad somehow lol.

Defense Notes:

- Was not impressed with Rochell at all. Guy made several rookie level mistakes, but he's not even close to a rookie anymore. Definitely need to see more.

- Still not excited by Turay or Banogu, I just don't see it.

- Rock looks the same as always, can never turn and find the ball which will always kill him. The play he quit on was actually pretty shocking to watch, I actually had to rewind it and see if I actually saw what I thought I saw. Not a good look for a guy wanting to start.

- Campbell and Chareche looked good and flashed a few times with good tackles and big hits. Like them as safety depth for sure.

- Franklin has improved a ton since he got here. He'll likely be the SAM starter for us which I'm more than ok with.

Funny you seem to be one of the outliers who didnt like Rochell. Most did

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Funny you seem to be one of the outliers who didnt like Rochell. Most did

haha I know I saw alot of people praise him! Funny how people see things differently. For me, I just didn't see him generate much pressure. He didn't seal the edge on the 4th and 1 and let Hubbard bust off a 60 yard run which is a backbreaking play on first and 1. Then had an easy sack, let his feet to make the play which is a no no, he missed, QB throws a TD. Not exactly plays I want to see a guy who isn't a rookie making.

49 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

One thing to remember about the dline is that they weee very vanilla. Not showing stunts and twists so really didn’t put much out there. Don’t want to give much away. Plus pretty much everyone sat bur Turay and Ben. Ben played the entire game so he really is on the hot seat.

I think the coaches are giving Ben a very close look right now but let’s not forget that they are down two guys at end right now and I don’t think they played Lewis at all so part of him playing the whole game was probably due to lack of depth there right now as well.  Hunt also played the whole game yesterday but that’s because the two guys a head of him on the depth chart are hurt not so much because he’s on the hot seat.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

He appeared in 7 games, and had 10 catches for 79 yards. His longest catch of 21 yards equates for more than a quarter of his yards. He’s never scored a TD and he’s never had more than 30 yards in a game. 

While the contribution is appreciated, let’s hold the phone acting like anything he did last year made a huge difference, was enough to earn him an automatic roster spot for this season, or that the coaches somehow know beyond a shadow of doubt that he’s better than player X, Y, or Z and don’t actually need to see it on the field in a game. 

Harris is way closer to “flash in the pan” than he is a roster spot on this team right now. 

He gets this fanfare because he’s the unknown underdog that came out of nowhere and made a couple nice plays in a couple games (and then disappeared entirely,) last season. He’ll be an unpopular cut, but we’re not exactly sending the next Reggie Wayne packing even though that is in fact going to be the reaction when the time comes. 

"We need to stop running #12s out of the building!"

50 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I was at the game. Sat in section 145. Sat in row 1. I think from now on I will take some of the slightly higher seats because I could not see the other end of the field. Anyways, 17 had a game huh. 

Also Mack appears to be back. Made some good runs with an OL we collected from the local high schools. 

I always look for the 450s area row 1.  Haven't been to a ton of games but I really like those seats.  Usually a pretty decent price too.

6 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

haha I know I saw alot of people praise him! Funny how people see things differently. For me, I just didn't see him generate much pressure. He didn't seal the edge on the 4th and 1 and let Hubbard bust off a 60 yard run which is a backbreaking play on first and 1. Then had an easy sack, let his feet to make the play which is a no no, he missed, QB throws a TD. Not exactly plays I want to see a guy who isn't a rookie making.

Many people didnt like Autry in the beginning. I didnt watch Rochell that heavily but i did see him make a few plays and hes been active for most of camp.  Personally I think he will be fine. To each his own though.

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You've got to make a lot of points to get to 12,000 posts in record time, not all of them can be, as you say, "gotten" lol.

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think you trade one of Wilkins or lemay. Trade one of patmon or strachan 

First of all, no one would trade for LeMay. He looked competent yesterday, but ffs people, he wasn’t channeling the spirit of Bo Jackson out there. Get a grip and take that crown off his head. 

Trading Wilkins would be silly because that dude is the best 4th string RB in the game today. When we get him going late in games he’s a difference maker. He’s not a stress on the cap, and he’s the kind of guy you want on this team. You’re not going to get a 3rd for him, and if you’d trade Wilkins for a 4th I hope someone tweets this thread to Jim Irsay because I want to make sure you never end up in Ballard’s seat. 

No one is going to trade for any of those players because they’ve already got players on their own teams that they feel the exact same way about. 

23 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Harris's value is on special teams. I think it would be easier to stash Patmon on the PS. Strachan would be on another team's roster in a second. The genie is out of the bottle. The depth is nice to have, though. If our top four was not already solid, there would be even more talk about all of these guys. Also, if someone like TY is hurt, it will be easier to hold them out and let them heal more. It's a long season.

We're pretty much set at returner with I. Rodgers and Hines.  Then we have guys like Dulin (if he makes the roster), Mack, Carrie and others who can also return kicks.  Harris is pretty small and I don't recall him being used as a gunner or on kickoff units.  Sure, he would probably be all right returning kicks as the 3rd-5th backup, but I think his value is more like a swiss army knife (sort of like a poor man's Hines) on offense.

I could be wrong, but it seems like Reich likes to have speedy/shifty guys on the roster (Campbell and TY both fit that mold, so does Hines, so does Harris).  Patmon, Dulin and Strachan are all bigger, straightaway speed type guys.  The fact that roster cuts will be hard is a good thing, but I can see Harris having a little bit of an edge for that last spot due to Patmon, Strachan and Dulin all being similar WRs (i.e., keeping one of them and Harris may give us a bit more versatility should WRs 5 and 6 ever need to see the field than keeping two of those guys).

23 hours ago, John Waylon said:

You're taking my comment way out of context.  But yes, he appeared in 7 games.  Strachan and Patmon appeared in none (Patmon, like Harris didn't have a preseason last year), so both of them are completely untested against NFL talent in game action.  

Nowhere did I say anything close to 'Harris has a guaranteed roster spot' or 'he's better than x, y, z' like you are trying to spin here.  I said it is possible that Harris got less volume in the first preseason game than Patmon or Strachan because the coaches have never seen Patmon or Strachan in game action before.  

There's 3 more preseason games left.  Maybe you should relax for a bit and let things play out.

Archived