Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers Postgame Postmortem.

John Waylon

48 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We're pretty much set at returner with I. Rodgers and Hines.  Then we have guys like Dulin (if he makes the roster), Mack, Carrie and others who can also return kicks.  Harris is pretty small and I don't recall him being used as a gunner or on kickoff units.  Sure, he would probably be all right returning kicks as the 3rd-5th backup, but I think his value is more like a swiss army knife (sort of like a poor man's Hines) on offense.

I could be wrong, but it seems like Reich likes to have speedy/shifty guys on the roster (Campbell and TY both fit that mold, so does Hines, so does Harris).  Patmon, Dulin and Strachan are all bigger, straightaway speed type guys.  The fact that roster cuts will be hard is a good thing, but I can see Harris having a little bit of an edge for that last spot due to Patmon, Strachan and Dulin all being similar WRs (i.e., keeping one of them and Harris may give us a bit more versatility should WRs 5 and 6 ever need to see the field than keeping two of those guys).

You're taking my comment way out of context.  But yes, he appeared in 7 games.  Strachan and Patmon appeared in none (Patmon, like Harris didn't have a preseason last year), so both of them are completely untested against NFL talent in game action.  

Nowhere did I say anything close to 'Harris has a guaranteed roster spot' or 'he's better than x, y, z' like you are trying to spin here.  I said it is possible that Harris got less volume in the first preseason game than Patmon or Strachan because the coaches have never seen Patmon or Strachan in game action before.  

There's 3 more preseason games left.  Maybe you should relax for a bit and let things play out.

I may have been thinking of Dulin when it comes to special teams. That's another place where Wilkins has value.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We're pretty much set at returner with I. Rodgers and Hines.  Then we have guys like Dulin (if he makes the roster), Mack, Carrie and others who can also return kicks.  Harris is pretty small and I don't recall him being used as a gunner or on kickoff units.  Sure, he would probably be all right returning kicks as the 3rd-5th backup, but I think his value is more like a swiss army knife (sort of like a poor man's Hines) on offense.

I could be wrong, but it seems like Reich likes to have speedy/shifty guys on the roster (Campbell and TY both fit that mold, so does Hines, so does Harris).  Patmon, Dulin and Strachan are all bigger, straightaway speed type guys.  The fact that roster cuts will be hard is a good thing, but I can see Harris having a little bit of an edge for that last spot due to Patmon, Strachan and Dulin all being similar WRs (i.e., keeping one of them and Harris may give us a bit more versatility should WRs 5 and 6 ever need to see the field than keeping two of those guys).

You're taking my comment way out of context.  But yes, he appeared in 7 games.  Strachan and Patmon appeared in none (Patmon, like Harris didn't have a preseason last year), so both of them are completely untested against NFL talent in game action.  

Nowhere did I say anything close to 'Harris has a guaranteed roster spot' or 'he's better than x, y, z' like you are trying to spin here.  I said it is possible that Harris got less volume in the first preseason game than Patmon or Strachan because the coaches have never seen Patmon or Strachan in game action before.  

There's 3 more preseason games left.  Maybe you should relax for a bit and let things play out.

First of all, I never said you said anything. I never even refer to you in any sense. Even in passing. Not every word of every post I write (even if I quote you) is in direct response to something you’ve said, or an insinuation that you’ve claimed something. I never even acknowledge your existence in my response because it’s not about you or anything specific you said. It’s about the subject of Harris and his role on this team. I can build upon, and explain those ideas without needing you to even exist, so unwad those panties and don’t be so quick to try and tie yourself to an idea in my post because you’re the only one doing it. And I know that to be fact because I’m the one who wrote the damn thing. I know exactly what I was saying, so take the expert advice on this one. 

There’s posters around here who can’t help but try to take the * out of every single post they read like that, but I’m not one of them. It’s not hard to determine the ones who do, either, so why you took this one so directly in the feels is a total mystery. 

I’ll let you know when a quote is about you specifically and not just the subject at hand in general. I’ll leave no doubt. Promise. 

The whole point I’m making is some are fawning over Harris like he’s some hidden gem when the truth is he’s really just another guy who is going to wind up on the practice squad or worse because there’s no room at the inn for him barring injury, or primarily ST duties. 

We’re already in a position where we pretty much have to carry 3 QBs all season. The chances that they carry 7 WRs on the roster to give a spot to a gadget-type player like Harris is highly unlikely. That’s nearly 20% of the team dedicated to guys who will only be on the field 3, 4, and maybe 5 at a time. The simple math of it is no bueno. We’ve already got a logjam of guys to spread the ball around to at the top of the pecking order, so WRs 5 and 6 have the deck stacked against them regardless of who they wind up being. 

There really isn’t even anything they could scheme up for Harris that wouldn’t be better run with Hines anyways, so it’s not hard to figure how this ends. Though I know that won’t lead to any less shock, anger, and bewilderment when it happens. 

On 8/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, #12. said:

For their first NFL action, both Eason and Ehlinger looked pretty good.  Long term, you would probably get a bit more consistent offense with Ehlinger, but more big plays with Eason.  After one look, I would probably still go with Eason.

I agree , hopefully we don’t see to much of them after wentz is back lol 

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

First of all, I never said you said anything. I never even refer to you in any sense. Even in passing. Not every word of every post I write (even if I quote you) is in direct response to something you’ve said, or an insinuation that you’ve claimed something. I never even acknowledge your existence in my response because it’s not about you or anything specific you said. It’s about the subject of Harris and his role on this team. I can build upon, and explain those ideas without needing you to even exist, so unwad those panties and don’t be so quick to try and tie yourself to an idea in my post because you’re the only one doing it. And I know that to be fact because I’m the one who wrote the damn thing. I know exactly what I was saying, so take the expert advice on this one. 

There’s posters around here who can’t help but try to take the * out of every single post they read like that, but I’m not one of them. It’s not hard to determine the ones who do, either, so why you took this one so directly in the feels is a total mystery. 

I’ll let you know when a quote is about you specifically and not just the subject at hand in general. I’ll leave no doubt. Promise. 

The whole point I’m making is some are fawning over Harris like he’s some hidden gem when the truth is he’s really just another guy who is going to wind up on the practice squad or worse because there’s no room at the inn for him barring injury, or primarily ST duties. 

We’re already in a position where we pretty much have to carry 3 QBs all season. The chances that they carry 7 WRs on the roster to give a spot to a gadget-type player like Harris is highly unlikely. That’s nearly 20% of the team dedicated to guys who will only be on the field 3, 4, and maybe 5 at a time. The simple math of it is no bueno. We’ve already got a logjam of guys to spread the ball around to at the top of the pecking order, so WRs 5 and 6 have the deck stacked against them regardless of who they wind up being. 

There really isn’t even anything they could scheme up for Harris that wouldn’t be better run with Hines anyways, so it’s not hard to figure how this ends. Though I know that won’t lead to any less shock, anger, and bewilderment when it happens. 

You're funny.  And yes, when you quote someone and your response is directly regarding the post/topic the person you were quoting was talking about, it typically means you are responding to them.

I've not seen many 'fawning over Harris like he's some hidden gem', though I think a lot of people have reason to be excited about him based on his performance last year - he showed a lot of burst and provided a spark on several occasions (even if he never really broke a huge play).  I think it's too early to tell whether or not he has room at the inn.  If I had to guess, I think he's on the outside looking in and if he clears waivers (which I doubt he will) they'll try to stash him on the PS.  That said, he was an RB in college and he has shown he can play WR.  In some senses, he reminds me a lot of Hines, where he could line up as a change of pace RB, in the slot or as a WR.  There's still plenty of time left in pre-season and injuries can certainly happen, but he provides very good (albeit, backup) versatility which makes him unique compared to a guy like Patmon (and maybe Strachan) who likely won't even be able to contribute much on STs.

Archived