Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers Postgame Postmortem.

John Waylon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strachan was barking today. I just wonder with Hilton, Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal how many chances he’s going to get outside the preseason. But he’s definitely earned some of the hype today in game action. 

I spent a lot of time in the second half watching Isaac Rochell and that dude is a worker. He’s not an elite talent, but be busts his * on every play. I said it in the game day thread and I’ll say it again here: he may not be a starter, but that’s a dude I want on this team. 

Speaking of that, however…

Rock had an absolutely egregious loaf in the first half. Dude caught a pass right in front of him and he just flat out quit on the play. Another defender had to take some evasive maneuvers to avoid running him over from behind. While Rock just stood there like a fence post rooted in the ground. Watching. 
evil eye stare GIF

The manufactured QB controversy is gonna be the dominant topic both locally and nationally but meh. It’s still Wentz’ job as soon as he’s cleared no matter how either of them do from now until that moment. 

Sam Tevi was as we were warned he would be. Holden came out and did worse. I wouldn’t mind seeing Davenport get a shot with the 1s next week because he did respectably in the second half, which is definitely more than can be said for the former. 

For their first NFL action, both Eason and Ehlinger looked pretty good.  Long term, you would probably get a bit more consistent offense with Ehlinger, but more big plays with Eason.  After one look, I would probably still go with Eason.

Both QBs played well.  Since Eason didn’t throw a pick and played against people higher on the depth chart I’d lean Eason’s way right now.

Colts are super deep at running back

pass rush looked better even with the top two picks outs 

Hope Carrie isn’t hurt too bad

WR cuts will be hard 

LT is going to be a problem but I think Holden played well in the run game probably giving him the edge right now.

Franklin seems to be locking down the third LB spot

Just now, #12. said:

For their first NFL action, both Eason and Ehlinger looked pretty good.  Long term, you would probably get a bit more consistent offense with Ehlinger, but more big plays with Eason.  After one look, I would probably still go with Eason.

Well said. Eason might be the more ideal QB to develop, but Ehlinger, as others have said, might have the higher floor, which is valuable in a backup. Personally I would choose the higher ceiling with Eason, but there is still more time for the team to decide.

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

I agree. Eason wasn’t great, but he wasn’t bad enough to get shuffled out, either. Conversely, despite the nice 4th quarter I still didn’t see enough out of Ehlinger to force start him over Eason. But, with as highly likely as we are to have to rely on our backups this season I guess this is how they’re doing their homework to figure out what to do when that time comes. 

It’ll be really annoying in the media this week. 

But hey, maybe this means we can finally put that “trade for a QB” rhetoric to bed for good. Baby steps, I guess. 

I thought Tariq Black looked good.  No space for him probably, but that’s a claim he’s putting on a PS spot.  Another guy: I know he had a holding call, but I liked what Carter O’Donnell did.  Spent some time watching him, and he was getting some good push and he played virtually the whole game at OG.  Got downfield a lot…

Eason strikes me as a guy that could make plays downfield with time to throw. But, needs to process things quicker and have better “touch” on balls that need to be thrown with less velocity.
    Ehlinger was impressive with his decisions and ability to process quickly.

There’s going to be tough decisions to make at WR and RB.

Holden looked “serviceable” at LT, especially in the run game.

Eason's main problem was not recognizing the blitz a few times, but that will hopefully come with experience. 

In general, he's managing the game much better than he did at Washington.  After a year with Frank, there's certainly more of a flow to his game than what you saw at Washington.

Over the next couple of weeks, we need to find a better answer at LT, and our backup OL in general needs to raise their level of play.  We are loaded at WR, DL, and LB it seems.  Perhaps instead of cutting some of them we can put a package together for a better LT.

16 minutes ago, Archer said:

I thought Tariq Black looked good.  No space for him probably, but that’s a claim he’s putting on a PS spot.  Another guy: I know he had a holding call, but I liked what Carter O’Donnell did.  Spent some time watching him, and he was getting some good push and he played virtually the whole game at OG.  Got downfield a lot…

That Tariq kid looked at camp also...and Vaughns...last couple wide out spots going to be a fight

1 hour ago, Bluesmith said:

Over the next couple of weeks, we need to find a better answer at LT, and our backup OL in general needs to raise their level of play.  We are loaded at WR, DL, and LB it seems.  Perhaps instead of cutting some of them we can put a package together for a better LT.

will fries is the only one that looked good he put a clinic on at guard today

I taught the Linebacker core went well today. Franklin, Adams, Jefferson, Kafusi all made plays. Good to see because there is a starting SAM position open there and we need good depth behind Okereke and Leonard. Pity Speed picked up that injury this week, would liked to have seen him out there.

I taught Odum and Chachere played well too at safety. Chachere is a player that is reportedly being playing well in camp, he looks ahead in the depth chart of both the Davis’ right now anyway. I think he’ll make the roster.

There was a good few positives to take from today. Obviously LT is a major worry right now though.

WR is deep hard to cut.

LT is troubling spot.

LB is deep hard to cut.

RB is deep hard to cut.

Both QB played good so who is #2 so hard.

Still worried about CB spot Rock Ya just looked at player in one play and did not make an effort to tackle. The other players were looking at O player of panther to tackle him down while he was walking away. I hope the video was just deceiving and his heart is still there.

Bravo to Ballard and his team on filling offseason for some key spots.

14 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We have RBs and WRs that will get contracts with new teams this year. Wilkins or Patmon might not make it just because we need so much extra depth in the trenches on both sides. I really like Strachan I hope he gets a spot.

Nice problem to have with the depth at WR and RB. 

A lot to like from the Colts so far. 

30 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

RB is deep hard to cut.

It’s actually not a hard cut though. I doubt we roster 5, and the 4 we do roster will be Taylor, Mack, Hines, and Wilkins. You can bet the farm on that. And the neighbor’s farm, too. I’ll even throw a C note down and say that will be the exact order of the depth chart for week 1 as well. (Barring an unforeseen trade/injury) 

22 minutes ago, craigerb said:

...or does the O-line make them all look good.

First of all, the blocking today, specifically in the first half, was awful. 

But more importantly than that are we gonna sit here now in 2021 and all the sudden act like Mack, Hines, Wilkins, and Taylor haven’t all been really good in their time here? Because that would be a real slap in the face to those guys and the way they’ve played in the last few years. 

Which ties right back into my point above that those guys will be the RBs on the 53 and no one else really has a shot unless they can earn it via special teams. 

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

. Wilkins or Patmon might not make it just because we need so much extra depth in the trenches on both sides. I really like Strachan I hope he gets a spot.

Patmon might be the odd one out.  Wilkins does play on special teams, he has to be one of the better 4th string rbs in the league too.

Strachan has been too good to cut so far

33 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Patmon might be the odd one out.  Wilkins does play on special teams, he has to be one of the better 4th string rbs in the league too.

Strachan has been too good to cut so far

Also, aside from Wilkins being one of (possibly the) best 4th string RBs in the league, I think the FO will remember that Mack is coming off a season ending Achilles injury and likely value having a 4th RB a bit more than they normally would.  Mack did look pretty good today, but I still imagine Wilkins ST value plus Mack's recent injury gives him a decent chance at making the roster.  That said, Benny Lemay looked pretty good at RB today.

Strachan and Patmon both had solid games.  The WR battle is going to be a tough one.  My guess is we go with TY, Campbell, Pittman, Pascal, Strachan and Patmon .. though Tarik Black and Tyler Vaughns looked good and I really liked DeMichael Harris last year.  Wouldn't totally shock me if we kept 7 WRs, but I would be surprised, especially because we're likely going to at least start with 3 QBs and potentially an extra OL if Nelson is questionable to start the season.  I also can see the argument that Patmon and Strachan are similar WRs and they'd keep one or the other and a guy like D. Harris who can play a totally different role.

I was more impressed by Eason than I was by Ehlinger, though Ehlinger has pretty good legs and I can see him being used similarly to how we used Brisset last year (Wentz is obviously more mobile than Rivers and there is a good chance we won't need a QB to come in to run on short situations, but with Wentz' health being a concern, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ehlinger get a couple of reps in the regular season - anyone else remember the rumblings after he was drafted of Ehlinger being like our Taysom Hill?).

I'll have to watch the tape a bit more... but one position battle which I don't think gets a lot of attention, but which I find interesting and far from over is Hot Rod vs. Pineiro at kicker.

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Also, aside from Wilkins being one of (possibly the) best 4th string RBs in the league, I think the FO will remember that Mack is coming off a season ending Achilles injury and likely value having a 4th RB a bit more than they normally would.  Mack did look pretty good today, but I still imagine Wilkins ST value plus Mack's recent injury gives him a decent chance at making the roster.  That said, Benny Lemay looked pretty good at RB today.

Strachan and Patmon both had solid games.  The WR battle is going to be a tough one.  My guess is we go with TY, Campbell, Pittman, Pascal, Strachan and Patmon .. though Tarik Black and Tyler Vaughns looked good and I really liked DeMichael Harris last year.  Wouldn't totally shock me if we kept 7 WRs, but I would be surprised, especially because we're likely going to at least start with 3 QBs and potentially an extra OL if Nelson is questionable to start the season.  I also can see the argument that Patmon and Strachan are similar WRs and they'd keep one or the other and a guy like D. Harris who can play a totally different role.

I was more impressed by Eason than I was by Ehlinger, though Ehlinger has pretty good legs and I can see him being used similarly to how we used Brisset last year (Wentz is obviously more mobile than Rivers and there is a good chance we won't need a QB to come in to run on short situations, but with Wentz' health being a concern, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ehlinger get a couple of reps in the regular season - anyone else remember the rumblings after he was drafted of Ehlinger being like our Taysom Hill?).

I'll have to watch the tape a bit more... but one position battle which I don't think gets a lot of attention, but which I find interesting and far from over is Hot Rod vs. Pineiro at kicker.

I think you’re right on with the WR’s. I think Harris will be an unpopular cut, and there’s just no way you keep Black or Vaughns on anything more than the practice squad.  

Harris seems like a bubble guy to me right now. He played today and I don’t think he even had a target. He just does not seem to be a guy they have figured in. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Something no one is talking about is Pitman, Pascal didn’t play and we have some young very good WR.

They're starting WRs and we didn't play our starters today. There's nothing wrong with them and I don't see Patmon or Strachan overtaking either of them any time soon.

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Seeing how good Strachan and Patmon were what are the chances we could be in a position to let pascal go next season. Wont save a ton though because zach won’t get a huge contract.

Some of these guys we can get onto the practice squad. Patmon and Strachan we won’t be able to I don’t think.

Pascal is a lot better of a WR than most people think and unless he is completely outplayed by Patmon or Strachan this season, I think he'll be back. By all reports, he's also had an amazing camp, so he could be a very solid contributor this season in all aspects of the offense.

21 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I think you’re right on with the WR’s. I think Harris will be an unpopular cut, and there’s just no way you keep Black or Vaughns on anything more than the practice squad.  

Harris seems like a bubble guy to me right now. He played today and I don’t think he even had a target. He just does not seem to be a guy they have figured in. 

Harris had a catch

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Imagine Pittman, Strachan, MOE all in the red zone package together . :cheer2:

Pascal is one of the best blocking WRs in the league (if not the best). Strachan is big, but I haven't seen anywhere near the blocking prowess from him yet.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

They're starting WRs and we didn't play our starters today. There's nothing wrong with them and I don't see Patmon or Strachan overtaking either of them any time soon.

Pascal is a lot better of a WR than most people think and unless he is completely outplayed by Patmon or Strachan this season, I think he'll be back. By all reports, he's also had an amazing camp, so he could be a very solid contributor this season in all aspects of the offense.

I now that. Maybe I didn’t word that right. I thought it was impressive the young WR played so well. It showed how deep we are at WR.

Archived