Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well this is interesting. Tevi Davenport, Holden, or moving Nelson might happen.

Spencer Brown seems like one of the few remaining prototypical left tackles. As in - he hits all the physical and athletic marks one usually looks for. 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Not to mention we have options on our team. We signed a vet guard. Could move Nelson if needed.  We did sign to guys with experience at tackle too. There is also some vets still out there no the market.

Eric Fisher still available I think 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Spencer Brown seems like one of the few remaining prototypical left tackles. As in - he hits all the physical and athletic marks one usually looks for. 

I would absolutely love getting Spencer Brown round 3 or 4. I still want Indy to add a talented CB and WR as well. Dyami Brown and Kelvin Joseph are good options. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

To be blunt, any and every draft pick is 50/50. They either make it or they don’t. There is no such thing as a sure thing. Even Lawerence could flame out.

I have the projected success rate as more variable and based on several factors, including position, round/spot selected, and the scheme being drafted into.

Lawrence is in no way a 50/50 draft selection.  He could flame out.  But the probability of him flaming out is less than 50%.

Now, other QBs that are selected further down in the 1st round?  The potential flame-out percentage can jump to as high as 66% (historically, anyway). 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I would absolutely love getting Spencer Brown round 3 or 4. I still want Indy to add a talented CB and WR as well. Dyami Brown and Kelvin Joseph are good options. 

I don't know if he lasts until the 3d... Those traits get drafted high(when they are packed in one player). He's raw so he might slip to the end of the 2nd, but I kind of doubt he is there in the 3d ... or the 4th where we actually have a pick. Just... teams bet on themselves being able to develop those types of guys. 

55 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well this is interesting. Tevi Davenport, Holden, or moving Nelson might happen.

Worth noting Ballard talked down the WRs before taking Pittman last year and then talked about the ends they had this year and acted like he wasn’t that interested in this year’s class before taking one tonight.  Ballard likes to deflect some.  With that said he’s smart not to lock in to one position and while this forum will have a meltdown if he doesn’t take a tackle tomorrow night as you have pointed out there are other options.  Also those other options, even moving Nelson to LT doesn’t mean it’s THE answer.  It could be a stop gap answer like Rivers was at QB last year until they can find THE answer.  Basically Ballard is going to Ballard and not just force something because people feel they need a tackle.  If the right guy isn’t there and he likes someone else he will take them and figure out the tackle situation later.  

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

They might happen.    I'd be more willing to think if we don't like the tackles available when we pick,  we might just sign Eric Fisher next week and hope he's ready by the bye week.

I’ll be honest I don’t know too much about Paye. Is he more of a hold the edge type guy instead of a pass rush type DE? 11.5 sacks as a 4 year starter seems really underwhelming for the amount of hype he’s getting on here. So far Ballard hasn’t shown he can draft a good DE but I hope this guy works out. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Edges are flying off the board while still a bunch of Ts available. Jenkins, Cosmi, Little, Mayfield

If there is a run and guys like Cosmi and Jenkins are gone, would you take a guy like Mayfield over someone like Rondale Moore?  A third rate tackle over an explosive player would be hard to swallow.

12 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

If there is a run and guys like Cosmi and Jenkins are gone, would you take a guy like Mayfield over someone like Rondale Moore?  A third rate tackle over an explosive player would be hard to swallow.

Fischer and schwartz are still available as well. Depends on how tomorrow falls.

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've predicted every conceivable option known to mankind.

Somewhere in some thread you've got a prediction for the Colts that will be right no matter who we take!     :thmup:

Most of my mocks consisted of the same 5 players 

Kwity Paye

Samuel Cosmi 

Tevin Jenkins 

Jaycee Horn 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

FWIW

Lance Zierlein  

Overview

The explosive testing will surely get teams and evaluators excited, but it might be hard to bang the table for him based on the tape. Paye's traits and potential should not be discounted, as he'll continue to be skilled up in technique and fundamentals. However, he's a choppy-stepping short-strider who doesn't play with the feel and instincts of an NFL playmaker. He can overcome his lack of stride length as a rusher with a more focused, upfield attack and better hands at the top of his rush, but he might be better-suited as a reduced rusher on passing downs, where his quickness could overwhelm guards. The traits and explosiveness are enticing but the film says "good" rather than "great" at this time

FWIW:   Zierlein has him ranked 18th overall.

Offered for context. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With Ballard saying they took Paye as the highest ranked player on the board, I have to respect that. Fills a major need as well. Curious why we didn't trade back. I'm calm now, and looking forward to tomorrow. Hope we trade back and get an extra day 3 pick or two.

Ballard said they had offers.   But whatever it was, the value wasn’t there. 

He called taking Paye one of the easiest decisions he’s ever made.   That should count for something.    Just saying....

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Payes lack of production is concerning. 11 and a half sacks over 3 years? I guess that depends on how many games he played those 3 years as well. But hey if Ballard is sold on him that's enough for me. I'm sure he can be coached up and we do have Robert Mathis helping out as well..

Mathis is no longer a coach... he’s running his own de training center

Very pleased to see things play out like this. While the draft is always a probability game (even in the first round) it have irked me for some time that our edge pass rush have been so mundane for so long. Hopefully we have hit some greatness with Paye.

Question for those in the known: is he a great run stopper and decent edge setter? Or on other words, a good 3 down guy? 

Pick was a HOME RUN.

Most “experts” had this guy as the best edge in the draft and I’ve seen mock drafts that had him going as high as 9.

To get the guy at 21 is incredible.

I was hoping for a trade up to get him.

If you watched the latest With The Next Pick - they talk about getting a guy that wants to get better and that will fit in with the current group. This is that guy.

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Most of my mocks consisted of the same 5 players 

Kwity Paye

Samuel Cosmi 

Tevin Jenkins 

Jaycee Horn 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 

Careful now - I don’t want you to pull a muscle patting yourself on the back for “hitting” on this pick. 

Archived