Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Kwity is definitely a better prospect than them. To me, he is the closest to Freeney in terms of size and ability we have gotten from the draft, minus the speed Freeney had that set him apart. That is where the coaching and player development comes in.

Actually, the new DL coach Brian Baker improved Lewis' play as the year went on. That is saying something and I feel Kwity is going to surprise a lot of us. 

Lewis improved, but he went from the cut list to a rotational DL player. He’s also 26 years old...he’s not some young player developing. 

Turay will be 26 as well...and Banogu is 25. 

Paye is only 22. And while he isn’t super young, he’s younger than players they typically draft. Just a different tier prospect.

Of course the hype train is already out of the station. 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Kwity is definitely a better prospect than them. To me, he is the closest to Freeney in terms of size and ability we have gotten from the draft, minus the speed Freeney had that set him apart. That is where the coaching and player development comes in.

Actually, the new DL coach Brian Baker improved Lewis' play as the year went on. That is saying something and I feel Kwity is going to surprise a lot of us. 

I think Paye is probably the best Dlineman Ballard has drafted.  He's also the highest drafted dlineman, so that should correlate.  

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They showed 3 highlights where an O.Lineman got the better of him, how about the other 50 where they didn't lmao . Media and their narratives. This is a great pick and I even wanted a LT at #21. I can live with this though. This guy has a unstoppable motor and is fast. We will get a LT tomorrow.

Yeah, I don't know what ESPN and Booger have against the kid but he was like the only player drafted that they talked bad about. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Plus, Ballard knows the last time we got a player from Michigan in Round 1, Marlin Jackson, he got us to the SB in the next couple of years, should have been two in a row if Peyton and Vanderjagt didn't choke vs the Steelers. :) 

However, for Buckeyes, Gonzo went into politics, Pitcock into video games, Roy Hall went into the pre-season HOF, Mike Doss went into mediocrity, Mewhort retired, Hooker and Campbell hang on with questionable injury histories now, and Tyquan Lewis with questionable abilities,  just saying.  On the flip side, to be fair to you Buckeyes, Mike Hart is in the bench warmer HOF, Terrance Taylor didn't make it past pre-season and Cato June was the gift that kept on giving in the 375 yard Jacksonville massacre. :) 

Yowza.

Just now, Zoltan said:

Yeah, I don't know what ESPN and Booger have against the kid but he was like the only player drafted that they talked bad about. 

Because...he is now a Colt.

11 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

NFL Network was pretty happy with the pick, and showed some decent highlights. But naturally they were quick to transition to the Titans. 

So the more I read about him he’s less a Freeney or Mathis pure pass rusher but more of an edge setter.  That’s not a bad thing as we have seen the last couple of years Autry was that and still got to the QB.  It fits what Ballard does on defense in that he will help with stopping the run and still be able to get after the QB on passing downs.

27 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

What Booger was saying was true, but they will be easily coached.  Besides, they showed about four clips.  It's not like he uses the same tricks on every down.

The NFL channel had nothing but great things to say about him.  He's definitely raw, but with great potential.  

Also, a team captain, Academic All American, and has a great family history of overcoming adversity.  It's like Ballard built him.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So the more I read about him he’s less a Freeney or Mathis pure pass rusher but more of an edge setter.  That’s not a bad thing as we have seen the last couple of years Autry was that and still got to the QB.  It fits what Ballard does on defense in that he will help with stopping the run and still be able to get after the QB on passing downs.

Seem to be a much younger and athletic Jabaal Shears....he's already seeming to be an elite run defender that could develop into a very good pass rusher with time and coaching.

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Plus, Ballard knows the last time we got a player from Michigan in Round 1, Marlin Jackson, he got us to the SB in the next couple of years, should have been two in a row if Peyton and Vanderjagt didn't choke vs the Steelers. :) 

However, for Buckeyes, Gonzo went into politics, Pitcock into video games, Roy Hall went into the pre-season HOF, Mike Doss went into mediocrity, Mewhort retired, Hooker and Campbell hang on with questionable injury histories now, and Tyquan Lewis with questionable abilities,  just saying.  On the flip side, to be fair to you Buckeyes, Mike Hart is in the bench warmer HOF, Terrance Taylor didn't make it past pre-season and Cato June was the gift that kept on giving in the 375 rushing yards Jacksonville massacre. :) 

Yeah, we could both name dozens of Buckeyes and Wolverines that are having all pro careers in the NFL.  I don't buy into the "teams from that school don't make good pros when we draft them".  That's plain ignorance.

BTW, I finished in the top three in my age category the last two times I did the Colts Back to Football 5K.  Marlin hands out the medals to the winners.  The first time I whispered "O-H" in his ear and he jokingly pushed me away.  I'm sure he didn't remember me the next time, so I told him my daughter wanted to tell him O-H.  He said "Oh No!".

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here's my thing.

Nothing he does is terribly special beyond being quick(ish) from what I've looked at. Autry was a FA on a modest contract and that's the comp for Paye as a first rounder? I hope this works, but there's a chance Paye doesn't live up to the draft status. 

11 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Good lord...he's a FIRST ROUND PICK...not a "project."

Don't forget, we did draft Bjoern Werner 24th overall :scorebad:...

Not that i think Paye is the same, not at all (i think Paye is gonna wreak havoc), just reminding that it is possible to draft "projects" in the first..

This guy is the most important pick in Ballard's tenure IMO.  Some think he's a bit risky, but you usually don't find a sure thing on EDGE at 21.  Hopefully, his floor is Clowney.  Good run stopper who must be accounted for in the rush.  With his athleticism, his ceiling is pretty All Multiverse.

It is certainly possible, he will be an ineffective player with the technique limitations.  If he isn't good right now, the Colts D is on trouble as we sit.

17 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Don't forget, we did draft Bjoern Werner 24th overall :scorebad:...

Not that i think Paye is the same, not at all (i think Paye is gonna wreak havoc), just reminding that it is possible to draft "projects" in the first..

My natural Cub fan immediatley brought Woerner to the forefront of my mind.  

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Because the rivalry is basically over between the two teams.....  I sort of feel bad for them.....  

The question is how many points will they lose by

O-H

I-O!

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Paye was rated number 1 de on Walter football and can play inside and out. Also a good run stopper which will be needed versus henry

I was hoping to get a 3 down DE, we may well have that guy.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

"While Mr.X is not the top defensive end in the draft; North Carolina's Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims and Georgia's Charles Grant are rated higher by most teams. But Mr. X's times at 40 yards have helped him, in the words of one scout, move from being a projected third-round pick several months ago to being a first-rounder.

How fast is Mr.X? Scouts say he has the quickest first step of any pass rusher in the draft. He is being compared to the Philadelphia Eagles pass rusher Hugh Douglas, a Pro Bowl speedster."

Who is Mr. X?

Mr. Freeney?  ( how about that undrafted James Harrison guy, though!)

38 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wrong. He took the highest guy remaining on his board.

Let me rephrase that, Ballard's board graded a DE higher than an OT in round 1.  Of note: even the best GM's are biased by their perceived need when grading players; it's human nature.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

As all of us Buckeye's already know - Michigan has second rate coaches.  I'm sure Fluse will do much better.

U of M has coaches?

Offensive Play book is less than half of a page

1- Run right

2- Run left

3- Run Middle

4 - Hail Mary after game lost

Coach handbook - Look angry

Every 10 plays , throw your hat

At end of game, blame officials for loss

Defensive playbook

Line up......  run around

I really liked this pick when it was announced.  Saw his name a lot on the Forum here and he has a great back story.

Team Captain and obviously fits our "Character" pre-requisite.  Ballard is excited and said it was an easy Pick for him.  We apparently had offers for the 21st pick, but they weren't enough in the end to have Ballard want to  move down and miss on Paye.

Many on here bring up the lack of sacks he had at Michigan.  Others have pointed out he was used all over the d-line, not just at DE.  Sacks aren't the only measure of the effectiveness of a d-lineman/pass rusher.  you have to look at the QB pressure numbers, setting the edge, run defense, etc.  And, this guy is an amazing athlete with lots of skills.

Pairing him up with Buckner will help both of them. As Buckner said...he looks forward to racing Paye to the QB in the years to come.

He fills a position of need while also being at the top of our board when we got to the 21st pick.  OT class is very deep and there are a lot of them still available.  Wasn't a deep class for edge rushers, so getting one of the best at 21 was the right pick to make at the time.

Welcome to Indy!!! 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Watching his tape he really reminds me a lot of Clowney when he was drafted.  Size, quickness and speed.  Great against the run and relentless motor running down people.  Excited that we were able to get him.  

You are right, he does remind us of him. Definitely needs coaching to infuse pass rush moves. His character suggests he is not done yet. He doesn't look at making to the NFL as an end, and just the beginning, that is exactly what we need. 

Moves wise, Jaelan Philips has more moves as a pure pass rusher, hands down but then, if he hadn't been banged up, he'd have been a Top 10 pick. 

36 minutes ago, Nickster said:

My natural Cub fan immediatley brought Woerner to the forefront of my mind.  

I saw Werner play live at Jacksonville. He could bust through and that day he chased Henne and Bortles all day, but he was always just a half step or so away from finishing the play. Thus they (especially Bortles) could elude and make a play.  Werner and Paye have significantly different measurables-

Werner explosion number   67  (=> 70 is good)   4.83 forty yard dash, and 7.30 three cone

Paye     explosion number   81+  ( wowza!)          4.54 forty, and an insane 6.37 three cone!!

It's the coaches job to take Payes notable physical advantages and convert them to on field production.  I feel we may have a 3 down DE as well, not a rotational situation guy.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Freeney - the easiest 5 yard run in the history of the NFL.
  Mathis - weak against the run also.
   Hopefully Turay can be like that to some degree.  Soon.

Man, the arms on Paye. And i like his studder step off the snap.
 It looks like what Reggie used to freeze a DB. It works!!
  Paye reminds of James Harrison. We can wish him good health and have very high expectations for him as he learns the NFL game. Love the pick!!

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I saw Werner play live at Jacksonville. He could bust through and that day he chased Henne and Bortles all day, but he was always just a half step or so away from finishing the play. Thus they (especially Bortles) could elude and make a play.  Werner and Paye have significantly different measurables-

Werner explosion number   67  (=> 70 is good)   4.83 forty yard dash, and 7.30 three cone

Paye     explosion number   81+  ( wowza!)          4.54 forty, and an insane 6.37 three cone!!

It's the coaches job to take Payes notable physical advantages and convert them to on field production.  I feel we may have a 3 down DE as well, not a rotational situation guy.

Supposedly that 3 Cone was best ever for a DL.....  of course not done with a computer.... but its amazing even if you pad it a bit

This kid is special

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Lewis a tweener who gets the occasional sack from DT. He’s a role player. And Ballard just drafted a much better player at #21 that will likely limit his DE snaps going forward. 

really? I see them starting opposite each other... Ballard has talked him up a lot as of late. Doesn’t sound like a role player. 

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Freeney had a 4.4 forty if I remember right. But that is an insane 3-cone number, even if it is 6.67 adding 0.3 seconds, it is good for any WR.  What he loses to Freeney in speed, he might gain in quickness. Ultimately, his ability to finish and pass rush moves will determine the success of this pick.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he can set the edge and get to the QB 7-10 times a year for the next decade that will be a huge success.  

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Couldn't  it be....both?

I get what you are saying. So if two guys both grade at 6.2 and one is a player at a premium position, they might add a .01 to the premium player.
 Sure, i would do that.
 In this case CB said it wasn't close.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

What people need to understand is Michigan didn’t use him exclusively on the edge. Thry used him inside too chasing down guards. So putting him on the edge will make his stats better.

That's very true. For a raw propect, he was never given the proper opperunity to stick to one position and learn his craft.

It takes quite a while to watch his tape, because you have to pause the tape at the start of the play to find where he is lined up on the LOS.

I think Flus should give him the RDE spot where Houston played, and leave him there to develop as a top EDGE rusher. And he absolutely can be a top EDGE rusher. DJ had Frank Clark as a player comparison. I think he can be better than Clark (who as 49 sacks in 6 seasons)

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Man, the arms on Paye. And i like his studder step off the snap.
 It looks like what Reggie used to freeze a DB. It works!!
  Paye reminds of James Harrison. We can wish him good health and have very high expectations for him as he learns the NFL game. Love the pick!!

This is a great take. 

Archived