Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve never understood why people write guys off before they have even played a game.  On paper this looks like a very good pick that fills something that’s been a major need since Mathis retired.  Will it turn out that way?  We shall see but right now I think there is far more reason to be happy than upset.  Add in the fact that Ballard could very well still land a starting quality LT in a very deep LT draft in round two and there is reason to be ecstatic.  It’s not very often you go into a draft with two major holes and have a real chance to check both off.

FWIW

Lance Zierlein  

Overview

The explosive testing will surely get teams and evaluators excited, but it might be hard to bang the table for him based on the tape. Paye's traits and potential should not be discounted, as he'll continue to be skilled up in technique and fundamentals. However, he's a choppy-stepping short-strider who doesn't play with the feel and instincts of an NFL playmaker. He can overcome his lack of stride length as a rusher with a more focused, upfield attack and better hands at the top of his rush, but he might be better-suited as a reduced rusher on passing downs, where his quickness could overwhelm guards. The traits and explosiveness are enticing but the film says "good" rather than "great" at this time

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s more of a case that the guy they wanted the most that they thought had a chance of being there was there so they pulled the trigger on it.  

But that means there’s no trading back for the rest of this year and next. At least not for anything in the 3rd or above. We don’t have a first next year, and now we have no shot at one. (Barring a Wentz injury) 

So now we’ve gotta work with the picks we have until 2023 when we’ll be able to reasonably trade back and pick up any additional picks. 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Phillips is a one year wonder who’s production was matched by a backup when he sat out last year. The U has a hell of a DL and Phillips benefits from that.

Jaelen Phillips is by far the best edge in the class

He'd be a top 10 pick without the injury history

The rest of the line benefits from Phillips it's not the other way around

Paye is still a very good player 

3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Another EDGE with traits and limited actual rush skills/sack production.

If he hits, great.  But this is no more than a 50/50 for me, at best.

To be blunt, any and every draft pick is 50/50. They either make it or they don’t. There is no such thing as a sure thing. Even Lawerence could flame out.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The dude is one of the most athletic specimens in this draft class, with one of the best motors, at one of our biggest needs.

This was a homerun.  And we can still get a good LT at 54...

How are you not pumped about this?!?  :scratch:

Because I truly felt tackle was a much bigger concern. I know people believe there will be a tackle at 54, but that's a tremendous gamble considering the Colts acquired a qb who, quite frankly, was shell shocked in Philly.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The dude is one of the most athletic specimens in this draft class, with one of the best motors, at one of our biggest needs.

Dude had an explosion number equal to JJ Watt, and was a full 0.5 second quicker in the 3 cone.  Amazing.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

But that means there’s no trading back for the rest of this year and next. At least not for anything in the 3rd or above. We don’t have a first next year, and now we have no shot at one. (Barring a Wentz injury) 

So now we’ve gotta work with the picks we have until 2023 when we’ll be able to reasonably trade back and pick up any additional picks. 

It means nothing for next year or even the rest of this draft.  If Ballard wants to move back with the picks he has he will.  You are reading way too much into this.  If you are just trying to say he doesn’t luxury of more first round picks to work with ok that I agree with.  However I don’t think it’s changed his outlook on how he works the draft.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

FWIW

Lance Zierlein  

Overview

The explosive testing will surely get teams and evaluators excited, but it might be hard to bang the table for him based on the tape. Paye's traits and potential should not be discounted, as he'll continue to be skilled up in technique and fundamentals. However, he's a choppy-stepping short-strider who doesn't play with the feel and instincts of an NFL playmaker. He can overcome his lack of stride length as a rusher with a more focused, upfield attack and better hands at the top of his rush, but he might be better-suited as a reduced rusher on passing downs, where his quickness could overwhelm guards. The traits and explosiveness are enticing but the film says "good" rather than "great" at this time

better-suited as a reduced rusher on passing downs, where his quickness could overwhelm guards.

Sounds more like an inside Tyquan Lewis/Autry than an outside Dwight Freeney.

Just now, ColtV said:

Because I truly felt tackle was a much bigger concern. I know people believe there will be a tackle at 54, but that's a tremendous gamble considering the Colts acquired a qb who, quite frankly, was shell shocked in Philly.

And how many players have changed teams to only perform better with the right coaching and talent around them? So far all you’ve done tonight is cry and be pessimistic AT BEST about the pick. And now you’re going on about Wentz before he’s even taken a snap in this offense? 

21 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

he's definitely a project.  espn was showing him getting dominated by offensive lineman but you know, Mel Kiper doesn't like us

They showed 3 highlights where an O.Lineman got the better of him, how about the other 50 where they didn't lmao . Media and their narratives. This is a great pick and I even wanted a LT at #21. I can live with this though. This guy has a unstoppable motor and is fast. We will get a LT tomorrow.

Check out this video on his story. His resolve since his youth and his intelligence are sky high. I have no doubt he has the will to improve more on his pass rushing skills as well if that really is a weakness he currently has .

What is it the third project player that's a DE that we drafted. The other two have not panned out.... now we hope that there a LT by the time we drafted again really. This QB already has happy feet and to make him feel comfortable  in the pocket you might draft a LT. What if he not there we freaking sign crappy Clark again. 

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

FWIW

Lance Zierlein  

Overview

It's why teams have coaches, teach and develop. But the student has to have both the physical capability to go with the mental desire for it to truly work. I think Paye checks the boxes and it is on the coaching staff to get the most out of him.

2 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

What is it the third project player that's a DE that we drafted. The other two have not panned out.... now we hope that there a LT by the time we drafted again really. This QB already has happy feet and to make him feel comfortable  in the pocket you might draft a LT. What if he not there we freaking sign crappy Clark again. 

sad black and white GIF

2 minutes ago, ColtV said:

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I was honestly expecting a LT, but when you look at the two units (OL and DL), I think EDGE might have actually been a bigger need, because the OL is just a stronger group with Nelson, Kelly, and Smith.

LT was going to be the weak spot on the OL this year regardless, so Reich is probably going to scheme to account for that.

We got better tonight.  It's all going to be OK.  :thmup:

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

And how many players have changed teams to only perform better with the right coaching and talent around them? So far all you’ve done tonight is cry and be pessimistic AT BEST about the pick. And now you’re going on about Wentz before he’s even taken a snap in this offense? 

Yes I'm being pessimistic about the pick.I don't agree with position or player. But I have 33 years invested with the club, it happens!

And I'm not "going on" about Wentz. He was clearly affected by lack of protection, so IMO I wanted him to be afforded the max amount of protection the team could provide!

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's why teams have coaches, teach and develop. But the student has to have both the physical capability to go with the mental desire for it to truly work. I think Paye checks the boxes and it is o the coaching staff to get the most out of him.

That's fine.  Just physically/production, seems more Lewis/Sheard than Freeney.  Seems to have the mental spirit Ballard looks for.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They showed 3 highlights where an O.Lineman got the better of him, how about the other 50 where they didn't lmao . Media and their narratives. This is a great pick and I even wanted a LT at #21. I can live with this though. This guy has a unstoppable motor and is fast. We will get a LT tomorrow.

well, you made a good case for him.  thanks!  I just worry that Wentz can't do much damage lying on his back.  But if we can get a steal tomorrow, good.  we don't have a 3rd round tomorrow and we don't have a 1st round pick next year, so the stakes are high.

44 minutes ago, FRW said:

Don't get it. All the LTs we were hoping might fall to us did and we pick a developmental pass rusher who needs to be coached up and may be ready to really shine NEXT year. The one thing we really needed was a blind side protector and had a great selection and passed on all of them. Hope Carson still gas some wheels because he's going to be running for his life. I guess we learned nothing from the Luck years.

This draft is heavy with lineman and not so heavy with pass rush ... we will get someone for the line don't worry. I trust Ballard more then anyone sitting at home. 

I like the pick...it made sense given how the draft unfolded.  That said...I hope we double up and take another edge rusher later on in the draft. Maybe a Malcolm Kounce from Buffalo or someone like that.  We need to add some competition there to light a fire under Turay and Banogu.  It's time for these guys to step up or out of the way.

4 minutes ago, ColtV said:

He was clearly affected by lack of protection, so IMO I wanted him to be afforded the max amount of protection the team could provide!

That's fair, and I think everyone would agree with that sentiment.

It would be great to have a GREAT LT, but we might have to settle for GOOD for now.

And that's fine, because our LG, C, and RT are GREAT.  So as long as the LT and RG are good enough, the offense is going to be fine.

Archived