Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evidently many people wanted a throwback two way player who could start LT on Offense and Edge on D.  Well, those players are extinct.  What we have is a Day 1 starter at a position of great need; we face seemingly endless top flight QBs and pass rush was poor last year, and we lost Autrey to free agency.  We are lucky Paye was sitting there for us to draft.  Regarding LT, we are not going out there playing 10 against 11.  Braden Smith was not a 1st Rounder and actually drafted as a Guard but is now our RT.  We will have quality options in Round 2 for LT.  We would not have had quality options in Round 2 for an Edge.  Remember that Round two players are the top 60-70 players available - not like we’re trying to plug a bunch of free agents as starters!  And knowing LT is deep, we’re going to be fine.  I see no justification for passing on Edge in Round 1, knowing a highly regarded OLineman will be available in Round 2 - again, the reverse would not have been true.

I am very pleased with this pick.  He is driven.  If you watched the last "behind the pick" video, it seems they were talking about Kwity.

He doesn't need pushed, he wants to be coached, he is driven to succeed and improve his game.

9 minutes ago, ClaytonC said:

I am very pleased with this pick.  He is driven.  If you watched the last "behind the pick" video, it seems they were talking about Kwity.

He doesn't need pushed, he wants to be coached, he is driven to succeed and improve his game.

He needs coaching too.  Last night McFarland was pointing out his flaws, which all looked fixable with decent coaching.  And you can't coach the most important trait - raw physical talent.

As all of us Buckeye's already know - Michigan has second rate coaches.  I'm sure Fluse will do much better.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He needs coaching too.  Last night McFarland was pointing out his flaws, which all looked fixable with decent coaching.  And you can't coach the most important trait - raw physical talent.

As all of us Buckeye's already know - Michigan has second rate coaches.  I'm sure Fluse will do much better.

Definitely, but every kid in the draft still needs coaching.  

Man was I conflicted.

As a die-hard Buckeyes fan I was wanting the Colts to pick a Team-From-Up-North player.

Then they picked him.

I was very elated, confused, dirty-feeling, excited, all it the same time.

I had to go take a shower before the end of the first round...

Ballards press conference.  

https://www.colts.com/video/kwity-paye-defensive-end-chris-ballard-nfl-draft-2021-first-round-pick-michigan

It’s very good of course and will get you excited for this kid..

I don’t get the local media though.  How is it not a question about the concerns with production/ sack totals.  And one guy asks if he was one of the top 5 difference makers Ballard said were in the draft.  What a dumb question.  Ballard was talking about guys that would go in the top ten.  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   Zierlein has him ranked 18th overall.

Offered for context. 

He had Darrisaw ranked 17, and many mocks didn't expect Darrisaw to be at 21 either.  I'm disappointed that we had to stay at 21 and pick either one of them, so considering we had to, Paye is fine if we had to pick.

But Ballard confirmed my thoughts about the LTs at his Paye presser, that there really aren't very many prototypical LTs in this draft, which is what I was saying.  Its overrated.  They didn't drop because there are so many, they dropped because they are not that good.  Leatherwood, whom I liked, was drafted 17 before we had a chance.

So the comments that seem cheery about getting a OT at 54 seem overenthusiastic to me.

Ballard said that he could definitely go in another direction at 54.  Might be smoke.  But at this point, I'd prefer a trade down to get a third rounder then trade either the second or third to SF for McGlinchy.....since either way we're not getting a prototypical LT.  Sf has pick 43, that would be a nice slot for them to draft their replacement RT.

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People find me amusing because of some of my views regarding Ballard and his picks. Check back. I wanted Simmons and wanted a trade up. I thought it  was a mistake to bypass Sweat. I badly wanted Farly this year; check my posts. Imagine....Simmons....Sweat and if Farley pans out. That could be 3 players to build around. Paye just seems like another athlete and a project. Ballard has missed big time on his Dline picks. I am not overly enthused about Paye.

good for you and your opinion...

He didn’t miss on Turay, he got hurt. He didn’t miss on Lewis, he took some time to develop and you’ll see that this year. he certainly didn’t miss on trading a 1st round and picking up the 2nd best defensive tackle in the league. 

17 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Man was I conflicted.

As a die-hard Buckeyes fan I was wanting the Colts to pick a Team-From-Up-North player.

Then they picked him.

LOL!  I feel your pain.  Remember, they're no longer Michigan players once they turn pro.  They're unpolished gems.  Not like OSU players, who are Buckeyes for life.

There's a story about some QB from that school up north who was so poorly coached he was taken in the 6th round.  With some decent coaching, he turned out halfway decent, from what I heard.  The name escapes me.  I'll have to google him later.

When you look at team need, skillset and what they were trying to replace from last year, they did about as well as they could replacing Autry and Houston.  Rochell looks a lot like Autry to me and is 6 years younger while Paye should be able to cover what Houston gave you over the past two years at 10 years younger. 

If they luck out and still get a good T, it's a home run.  If Jenkins falls, I would do the same trade you did last year for Taylor.  You like the draft picks, yes, but as Ballard said, you can find players any time of the year.  If you don't have the picks, you have to improvise and earn your money finding Kenny Moores and Glowinskis.  QB, LT and DE are possibly the three most important positions on the field, so you gladly give up the picks to fill the positions.

The consensus is that he needs coaching and the talking heads trust the Colts can do it due to our staff.

I like the pick.  I get ballards thinking.  We weren’t guaranteed to get an edge of high quality in the second.  We can still get a starter quality tackle in the second.  

41 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He didn’t miss on Turay, he got hurt. He didn’t miss on Lewis, he took some time to develop and you’ll see that this year. he certainly didn’t miss on trading a 1st round and picking up the 2nd best defensive tackle in the league. 

IMO, both Turay and Lewis are playing to the level that they should have been drafted at.  About round 4.  The problem is that they are playing up to what the world expected, but they are not playing up to where Ballard expected.

32 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Tis the season for optimism...but I will disagree. You can’t even compare the DeFo trade. He was a proven AP player.

But Turay and Lewis are definitely more miss than hit. And Banogu is a huge whiff to date...subject to change. 

Turay was a project who had injury issues in college. He’s still a project with injury issues. He wasn’t a bad pick, but he hasn’t been a hit.

Lewis a tweener who gets the occasional sack from DT. He’s a role player. And Ballard just drafted a much better player at #21 that will likely limit his DE snaps going forward. 

Paye is a different level of prospect IMO.  But I get why people might be skittish about some toolsy EDGE. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, both Turay and Lewis are playing to the level that they should have been drafted at.  About round 4.  The problem is that they are playing up to what the world expected, but they are not playing up to where Ballard expected.

I think Turay was a mid-late Day 2 pick talent...due to the measureables and upside. But definitely a flawed prospect.

But Lewis and Banogu were Day 3 players IMO. And nothing has changed my opinion on that. 

Fortunately the Colts have had (9) 2nd round picks in the past three drafts...so they can miss on 4-5 of them and still get great talent. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Turay only issue was that horrible ankle injury. He was rated as one of the top DE those first five  games of 2019. He was on his way to being a stud. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

When you look at DE and LT at 21 ask yourself which position would have the biggest impact on the team? It’s DE. You can be ok with with a average LT. 

Apparently  Michigan didn’t use Paye just at DE. They made him play all over. So having him play only end should help his numbers.

On this team, I'm not sure I agree with it.  The OL is the identity of the team, and with no Castonzo, you've seen a fairly noticeable dropoff in recent years.  That said, I believe you can still replace Castonzo tonight.  In both rounds, it's just all about how the players fall in front of you.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well he will likely go against big Q so iron sharpens iron!

If that were true, we would have had a lot of sharp iron playing D line the last few years.  Maybe Q is making them so disheartened, they just give up.

10 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Another EDGE with traits and limited actual rush skills/sack production.

If he hits, great.  But this is no more than a 50/50 for me, at best.

I think that you will be pleasantly supprised

The kid has all the tools and is already an amazing force on stopping the run.

Thats 50% of the job of the LDE, in which he already excels

He has 4.5 ish speed in the 40 with great take off.   Most of the other great prospects for DEs had 4.6 or 4.7 ish speed.

Many people are amazed at the strength of OT Jenkins  with 35 reps on the bench he is 320Lbs - He manhandled people

Paye had the same number at 261 Lbs - He can (and will , I believe) manhandle people as well

This guy is a physical freak, with what appears to be an excellent attitude and work ethic, that needs some work

Give him some time with the coaches and its my bet that he can be something special

16 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think Turay was a mid-late Day 2 pick talent...due to the measureables and upside. But definitely a flawed prospect.

But Lewis and Banogu were Day 3 players IMO. And nothing has changed my opinion on that. 

Fortunately the Colts have had (9) 2nd round picks in the past three drafts...so they can miss on 4-5 of them and still get great talent. 

Kwity is definitely a better prospect than them. To me, he is the closest to Freeney in terms of size and ability we have gotten from the draft, minus the speed Freeney had that set him apart. That is where the coaching and player development comes in.

Actually, the new DL coach Brian Baker improved Lewis' play as the year went on. That is saying something and I feel Kwity is going to surprise a lot of us. 

1 hour ago, Pelt said:

Man was I conflicted.

Then they picked him.

Because the rivalry is basically over between the two teams.....  I sort of feel bad for them.....  

The question is how many points will they lose by

O-H

"While Mr.X is not the top defensive end in the draft; North Carolina's Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims and Georgia's Charles Grant are rated higher by most teams. But Mr. X's times at 40 yards have helped him, in the words of one scout, move from being a projected third-round pick several months ago to being a first-rounder.

How fast is Mr.X? Scouts say he has the quickest first step of any pass rusher in the draft. He is being compared to the Philadelphia Eagles pass rusher Hugh Douglas, a Pro Bowl speedster."

Who is Mr. X?

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Plus, Ballard knows the last time we got a player from Michigan in Round 1, Marlin Jackson, he got us to the SB in the next couple of years, should have been two in a row if Peyton and Vanderjagt didn't choke vs the Steelers. :) 

However, for Buckeyes, Gonzo went into politics, Pitcock into video games, Roy Hall went into the pre-season HOF, Mike Doss went into mediocrity, Mewhort retired, Hooker and Campbell hang on with questionable injury histories now, and Tyquan Lewis with questionable abilities,  just saying.  On the flip side, to be fair to you Buckeyes, Mike Hart is in the bench warmer HOF, Terrance Taylor didn't make it past pre-season and Cato June was the gift that kept on giving in the 375 rushing yards Jacksonville massacre. :) 

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Turay only issue was that horrible ankle injury. He was rated as one of the top DE those first five  games of 2019. He was on his way to being a stud. 

If you looked at the details of the rankings, he played against the two worst OTs in the league and when Mahomes had an ankle and couldn't move.  The two games where he played against good LTs, he did nothing. Its like when Hooker was looked at as a future stud because he made some picks against several floaty desperate passes in his first 4 games.  Turay's fine, just like Hooker was fine.  I hope that Turay doesn't suffer another bad injury or he may become less than fine.   I fear that Lewis may already be at that level. 

Archived