Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, krunk said:

I bet Paye reminded Ballard of Tamba Hali.

Yep. Similar background, same positions, played in the Big Ten. Picked one choice apart.

Hali had a monster senior season though. Doubt Paye would have had that type of production...but who knows.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

On the flip side, if the Vikings told us they would give us Picks No.66 and No.86 they got from the Jets to move up to No.54, would you do it? (Vikings do not have a 2nd rounder but have 4 third round picks)

It depends on how the players come off the board, I suppose.   Maybe you sign a LT in free agency, but I'm not sure I would push it off until next year.   I'd rather trade up and take advantage of 2021's depth.  Personally, if Jenkins is still in range, I'll gladly give up the pick, but I'm afraid he's gone to the Bengals.  

He’s an athletic freak, as he not only ranked as The Athletic Bruce Feldman’s #1 freakiest athlete in his ‘2020 College Football Freaks List’, but his 6.37 3-cone time was faster than even Kansas City Chiefs blazing fast wideout Tyreek Hill (6.53).

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Typically, a future pick is one round lower than a current pick.  IE: a future 3rd rounder has the value of this years 4th rounder.

Here's the deal on measurables not resulting in production on the gridiron.  GM's know this requires extra film study to determine why this is the case. It goes double for 1st rounders.  I'm sure the GM/coaching staff has been over every piece of tape they can get hold of and combed through it countless times. That they pulled the trigger @21 tells me they believe they know why, and what needs to be done to correct it, and feel they have the staff to do it.

I think they do, and I hope they do as well.

I'll take it a step further.  I believe there will be more training camp IR players than any years before. Based on not being able to get accurate medical data on day 3 guys (round 4-7 players where many may be hiding a lingering injury, and some that fails on them in camp) that might have moved some players down some or even off the board to UDFA status.

I’m curious how many 1st rounders did too. I mean there’s rumors now that Paye had a failed heart test that later didn’t matter

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m curious how many 1st rounders did too. I mean there’s rumors now that Paye had a failed heart test that later didn’t matter

It’s not a rumor.  He had high lab results but it seems it was from a hard workout. They tested him again and he was cleared because it came down. He is the one that confirmed it.

This kid is special.  And I don’t just mean as a football player, but as a person as well.   He will always work hard and play hard to be the best version of himself.   Nobody vets prospects quite the way we do.

So when Chris Ballard passed on trading down and took the player and called it one of the easiest decisions of his career, that was it for me.   We didn’t address the position I wanted, but I’m ok.   I’m not even sure we took the player I was thinking, yet I’m ok.  The more I know, the more I love this kid.  

I tell my wife the Colts have a TON of players who are easy to cheer and root for.   That makes being a fan — fun!    And I’m just too old not to be having fun! 

We had a very good Day One.   I look forward to a very good Day Two.   Better days ahead!  

21 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

And here's the phone call Kwity got from the Colts draft room. He sure is calm during what must be an incredibly important moment in his life!

The kid is serious even when he’s happy and celebrating!   Serious as a heart attack!   What a kid!?    Love him! 

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s not a rumor.  He had high lab results but it seems it was from a hard workout. They tested him again and he was cleared because it came down. He is the one that confirmed it.

Thanks 

31 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

And here's the phone call Kwity got from the Colts draft room. He sure is calm during what must be an incredibly important moment in his life!

I love when Frank said they’d been hoping he’d be there all day

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This kid is special.  And I don’t just mean as a football player, but as a person as well.   He will always work hard and play hard to be the best version of himself.   Nobody vets prospects quite the way we do.

So when Chris Ballard passed on trading down and took the player and called it one of the easiest decisions of his career, that was it for me.   We didn’t address the position I wanted, but I’m ok.   I’m not even sure we took the player I was thinking, yet I’m ok.  The more I know, the more I love this kid.  

I tell my wife the Colts have a TON of players who are easy to cheer and root for.   That makes being a fan — fun!    And I’m just too old not to be having fun! 

We had a very good Day One.   I look forward to a very good Day Two.   Better days ahead!  

After learning his story, I think it's easy to assume he has no quit.    I would root for him no matter what team drafted him.   I'm glad Ballard and Co got the opportunity 

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Colts fans really need to understand just how much of a project Paye is. His workout numbers do not translate to the field. The traits are there, according to the measurements, but he is far from a complete package. His strength is stopping the run. You can pick out any Kwity Paye vs any team he played. You’re going to see a lot of the same tape. 

In the game above, they did line him up a few times in the 9 technique, and even though he got close once, he doesn’t show the closing speed his measurements indicate. His only move is power. He doesn’t know anything else. Can he be taught more? Maybe, but the Colts front office is rolling the dice on this one. They’re betting they can translate the traits to production. I hope they can. 

I think he's here to take the place of Autry, set the edge, push the pocket, play fast and physical.  Plus he pursues extremely well which is exactly how we play.  I like him next to Buckner, it makes sense to me.  We should see Touray or Houston on the other side, that starts to shape up real nice if it play out that way.  Never forget we prioritize culture fits, and he's exactly that, this pick makes perfect sense to me.  On the LT!

7 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I think he's here to take the place of Autry, set the edge, push the pocket, play fast and physical.  Plus he pursues extremely well which is exactly how we play.  I like him next to Buckner, it makes sense to me.  We should see Touray or Houston on the other side, that starts to shape up real nice if it play out that way.  Never forget we prioritize culture fits, and he's exactly that, this pick makes perfect sense to me.  On the LT!

I think versatility is key.   Play inside play outside.   Speed and power.   

28 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I am not sure he would get away with playing on the inside like he did in college... He could do that in college against lesser guards and centers... But I doubt that is our plan. I think we will line him up at RDE. I like him on first and second down, but not on third and long. At least not until he develops his pass rushing skills. He has a quick first step and could develop, but he doesn't currently know any pass rushing moves... He wins with power, and plays like a DT. In his defense, Michigan lined him up everywhere, so he never really got a chance to learn one position. He needs to stay at RDE and learn how to play it. If we move him all over the place, including inside, then it doesn't make any sense picking him. If that is the plan then why in the world did we play Grover Stewart so much money? The most logical move is to play him predominately at RDE. We already have versatility on the DL - see Tyquan Lewis, who for what it is worth is my comp to Paye (although Paye is a little more athletic and explosive). 

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not sure he would get away with playing on the inside like he did in college... He could do that in college against lesser guards and centers... But I doubt that is our plan. I think we will line him up at RDE. I like him on first and second down, but not on third and long. At least not until he develops his pass rushing skills. He has a quick first step and could develop, but he doesn't currently know any pass rushing moves... He wins with power, and plays like a DT. In his defense, Michigan lined him up everywhere, so he never really got a chance to learn one position. He needs to stay at RDE and learn how to play it. If we move him all over the place, including inside, then it doesn't make any sense picking him. If that is the plan then why in the world did we play Grover Stewart so much money? The most logical move is to play him predominately at RDE. We already have versatility on the DL - see Tyquan Lewis, who for what it is worth is my comp to Paye (although Paye is a little more athletic and explosive). 

Did you watch every snap of his college career, or just last year?

50 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I was thinking more of when Autry lined up in the 5 tech, I agree he's not necessarily a 3 tech guy, he is similar in size to Autry yet stronger, I do see him paired with Buckner on the left side.  That said he can play all over the line.  We can create real match up issues with those two on the same side and then hopefully Turay comes back and we re-sign Houston for the RDE.  Reference attached link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=062czSJhagU

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

This guy is the most important pick in Ballard's tenure IMO.  Some think he's a bit risky, but you usually don't find a sure thing on EDGE at 21.  Hopefully, his floor is Clowney.  Good run stopper who must be accounted for in the rush.  With his athleticism, his ceiling is pretty All Multiverse.

It is certainly possible, he will be an ineffective player with the technique limitations.  If he isn't good right now, the Colts D is on trouble as we sit.

i hope this is not another 2019 draft for ballard with his man the roster draft method

2 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

hope we dont regret getting the lt

I had Darrisaw rated higher than Paye and thinks he’s going to be a stud for the Vikings for a decade. I do value LT more than DE but Paye was a great pick as well.

Both will be compared throughout their careers. I think both will be great players it’ll come down to what position do you value more. 

After reading and watching some videos of Kwity Paye and his life story the kid is a true winner at life.  The guy just runs through anything in his way. He is a well educated and a stand up guy. Oh don’t forget his off the chart physical traits. If he wants to be a star he is going to be a star. Nobody is going to stop him. We should all be thrilled and thankful he’s on our side because this kid is going to do big things on and off the field for the Colts. 

Archived