Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Yes I'm being pessimistic about the pick.I don't agree with position or player. But I have 33 years invested with the club, it happens!

And I'm not "going on" about Wentz. He was clearly affected by lack of protection, so IMO I wanted him to be afforded the max amount of protection the team could provide!

I wanted LT as well because of the year Wentz had last year, but we will still get a good one tomorrow. Cosmi, Little, Eichenberg, are still available. We can put someone that is just average with Nelson and he will look good IMO. As long as he doesn't stink we will be ok. This is a solid pick and I was shocked Paye was there at 21.

14 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

What is it the third project player that's a DE that we drafted. The other two have not panned out.... now we hope that there a LT by the time we drafted again really. This QB already has happy feet and to make him feel comfortable  in the pocket you might draft a LT. What if he not there we freaking sign crappy Clark again. 

To be fair, Turay's ankle turning into a twizzler doesn't really mean he was a bust yet.  He showed flashes right before his injury, if he can pick up this year where he left off before his injury, we'll have a solid front line.  His play at the end of last year wasn't encouraging, but having gone through even a simple knee surgery myself I realize it's not so easy to just get up and be an elite athlete again (of which I'm nowhere close lol).

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wanted LT as well because of the year Wentz had last year, but we will still get a good one tomorrow. Cosmi, Little, Eichenburg, are still available. We can put someone that is just average with Nelson and he will look good IMO. As long as he doesn't stink we will be ok. This is a solid pick and I was shocked Paye was there at 21.

Not to mention we have options on our team. We signed a vet guard. Could move Nelson if needed.  We did sign to guys with experience at tackle too. There is also some vets still out there no the market.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's fair, and I think everyone would agree with that sentiment.

It would be great to have a GREAT LT, but we might have to settle for GOOD for now.

And that's fine, because our LG, C, and RT are GREAT.  So as long as the LT and RG are good enough, the offense is going to be fine.

The RG is very underrated.  There were times last year where if you watched film he was the best or second best player on the line.  

BTW Ryan Diem pointed it’s been 20 years since he was drafted in the FOURTH round so despite popular belief that some have you can get high quality players outside the first round.  Also worth mentioning they got DeMulling who was quality guard for them in the seventh round of that draft and Saturday was undrafted.  So everyone upset that they didn’t go LT first don’t give up hope.  The draft is not over tonight.  

1 minute ago, Catloaf said:

To be fair, Turay's ankle turning into a twizzler doesn't really mean he was a bust yet.  He showed flashes right before his injury, if he can pick up this year where he left off before his injury, we'll have a solid front line.  His play at the end of last year wasn't encouraging, but having gone through even a simple knee surgery myself I realize it's not so easy to just get up and be an elite athlete again (of which I'm nowhere close lol).

Turay wasn’t right either. 

With Ballard saying they took Paye as the highest ranked player on the board, I have to respect that. Fills a major need as well. Curious why we didn't trade back. I'm calm now, and looking forward to tomorrow. Hope we trade back and get an extra day 3 pick or two.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's fair, and I think everyone would agree with that sentiment.

It would be great to have a GREAT LT, but we might have to settle for GOOD for now.

And that's fine, because our LG, C, and RT are GREAT.  So as long as the LT and RG are good enough, the offense is going to be fine.

Might as well settle for mediocre or just plan crappy screw it...that okay even though the offensive line is the strongest  unit the colts have let just replace a outstanding part with just a mediocre part.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With Ballard saying they took Paye as the highest ranked player on the board, I have to respect that. Fills a major need as well. Curious why we didn't trade back. I'm calm now, and looking forward to tomorrow. Hope we trade back and get an extra day 3 pick or two.

I think we draft Cosmi or Little in Round 2, just a guess. That will be fine IMO. Eichenberg is another option. There are a lot of good LT's this year. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we draft Cosmi or Little in Round 2, just a guess. That will be fine IMO. Eichenberg is another option. There are a lot of good LT's this year. 

Paye and Cosmi would be a dream first two picks. Payton Turner and Rousseau have already went after Paye. The EDGE guys are starting to come off the boards. This may prove smart to get one now.

8 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Might as well settle for mediocre or just plan crappy screw it...that okay even though the offensive line is the strongest  unit the colts have let just replace a outstanding part with just a mediocre part.

You know what drives me crazy, it's not your posts, it is your misspelling of Freeney. It is not Freeny. crazy GIF

Love the pick. Love the player. Love the person(or at least what I've seen of the person). High character guy! Amazing(and sad) and inspirational story of overcoming incredible hurdles and tragedy to end up in the states and work his way to being a 1st round pick in the draft, from being a 3 star recruit as a RB in high school. 

But his story is not what's going to make him succeed in the league. It's his insane athleticism and constantly improving technique and hand usage. He is a true athletic freak. There are good athletes, there are great athletes and there are FREAKS. Paye is a true freak. He has explosiveness, speed, power and bend. He has it all in all aspects of athleticism. There is a video of him running 6.37 3cone drill at 6'3" 270lbs. This is insane. This would have been the second best 3cone time of all time by any player of any position(this includes CBs, WRs, RBs)... if replicated at the combine. He was ranked no. 1 on the 2020 Bruce Feldman's College Freaks List :

1. Kwity Paye, Michigan, defensive end

Freakiest attribute: Speed in the 3-cone drill

The Wolverines have a few special athletes on their defensive line (Aidan Hutchinson also possesses impressive agility for his size), but the 6-4, 271-pound Paye (50 tackles, 12.5 for loss, 6.5 sacks) has generated a lot of buzz among the NFL scouting community for some remarkable wheels. He clocked the second-best 3-cone time on the team at a blistering 6.37 seconds, which would have topped anyone at the 2020 combine. Paye’s 40 is also moving at 4.57, with a solid 34-inch vertical and 30 reps on the bench press. Paye’s 40 time and 4.15 pro shuttle time are better than any D-lineman or edge player who tested at the 2020 combine. His 11.3 time in the 60-yard shuttle is also elite.

Paye, a former high school running back who reported to Ann Arbor at 228 pounds, was a member of a state championship 4×100 meter relay team in high school and also won a state title in the long jump, going 21 feet, 5 inches as a junior. He has a rare blend of strength, control and balance and his change of direction is probably even better than former Wolverine Freak Rashan Gary.

Right now he wins more with his pure physical ability, but the encouraging thing is that this year you could see obvious improvements in his technique. Too bad his season was so short, but still... he had 26% pass-rush win rate this year, which was good for 4th best rate by power 5 conference player. 

The reason I'm so excited besides the pure athletic profile is - he has shown consistent improvement, he has shown great testing(again a sign of him taking his craft seriously), every report of him is as a high character guy. There are no surefire hits in the draft. We don't know if he will succeed in the league for sure, but he has everything it takes to keep improving and he has the high end athleticism and potential to be an impact player in the league. Wherever he ends up in his career, I feel good that he will do everything in his power to maximize his abilities and opportunity.

BTW here's him doing DB drills:

3 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

What LT was even available at 21 that wouldn't be the weak-link on the OLine this year?

And is the difference between that guy and a day 2 solid LT REALLY that big?

Cmon man...

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

They still have an all pro and a pro bowler on that line and two guys who could start for most teams in the NFL on that line. It’s not like it’s chopped liver without AC.  I mean that line still played very well last year when AC went out for the year and they were a step away from taping hotrod and Rigo together and making them a left tackle.  

I am not saying the loss of AC won’t be felt it will be but even a second round pick will be an upgrade over what they were playing with at the end of last year and they were still pretty good. Heck you could argue the guys they signed are better than what they had behind AC last year so they are already better than they were at the end of the year.  Still I don’t think Ballard’s done with the line.  

He had a chance to get a guy that in his mind slipped some filled the other major need on the team and knows it’s a deep draft and he could still get a quality LT in round two.  It’s a perfect scenario for him.  Like I said before it’s rare when you go into a draft with two major holes and could probably come out of that draft with two starters to address those holes.  The Colts have that chance.  

I also have a feeling that even though they won’t admit it a large number of people complaining about not getting a tackle tonight would be screaming whose going to rush the passer had the Colts gone LT tonight.  I’ll let people draw what conclusions from that they want.  

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It takes another team wanting to move up. Teams seem to be content to let the draft come to them instead of moving up for a guy at this point.

I also think Ballard saw a chance to get the guy they had highest on their board that they thought could be there.  I don’t think the Colts wanted to move back.  

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That should make for some fun games. What’s interesting is 3 of them are going to good teams. That usually doesn’t happen. 

Lance is and Jones has a chance to be going to a good team.  The Jags and Jets both earned their picks i am not going to call them good.  

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think fields is going to a good situation if the coach doesn’t screw up another QB. They have good weapons and a good defense.

Bears will find a way to ruin Fields 

Mac Jones will end up being best rookie 

He lands in great situation under Belichick

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I also think Ballard saw a chance to get the guy they had highest on their board that they thought could be there.  I don’t think the Colts wanted to move back.  

Agreed, even the Colts saw the draft coming to them. No reason to move up, or back.  I think other teams felt the same way.

The pick is logical. Big traits edge rusher with motor and character. Seemed like someone we'd be interested in and our type of player. Hard to predict he'd be available at 21, though. Surprised we had the choice between him and Darrisaw too. We must like the depth at tackle better than edge and considering you have Phillips gone and Turner, Rousseau and Tryon that all went after, I think the FO have a good handle on what's going on.  Would have been slim pickings at 54 for an edge. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I just feel like one of these days, the defensive pass rush of this team is going to blow up and people are going to say “where’d this come from?” 

well,

three 2nd round draft picks in Lewis, Banagou and Turay

first round pick in Paye

first round trade for an allpro tackle in Buckner 

the talent and potential is there. We gotta put it together.

People find me amusing because of some of my views regarding Ballard and his picks. Check back. I wanted Simmons and wanted a trade up. I thought it  was a mistake to bypass Sweat. I badly wanted Farly this year; check my posts. Imagine....Simmons....Sweat and if Farley pans out. That could be 3 players to build around. Paye just seems like another athlete and a project. Ballard has missed big time on his Dline picks. I am not overly enthused about Paye.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People find me amusing because of some of my views regarding Ballard and his picks. Check back. I wanted Simmons and wanted a trade up. I thought it  was a mistake to bypass Sweat. I badly wanted Farly this year; check my posts. Imagine....Simmons....Sweat and if Farley pans out. That could be 3 players to build around. Paye just seems like another athlete and a project. Ballard has missed big time on his Dline picks. I am not overly enthused about Paye.

Don't sweat it

We can't all paye attention 

Archived