Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Colts team of all time

Arodgers12

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I loved Reggie too. I was pretty young but Dickerson was my 1st favorite - I went to some games with my dad when Dickerson was here, then the Harbaugh days, then in the Peyton era of course Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Freeney, Mathis, Saturday, and Sanders. Luck was amazing for the few years he gave us. We have been spolied. Since 1995 playing in 5 AFC Title Games = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2014 + 2 SB's = 2006 and 2009 winning in 2006 is pretty good. I would say at worse since the team moved here in 1984, we have been around a top 5-7 franchise out of the 32 teams that we have.

Good for you and your parents for introducing you to this crazy game.   win or lose.  You will never forget that time together.  

I know I won't 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Good for you and your parents for introducing you to this crazy game.   win or lose.  You will never forget that time together.  

I know I won't 

BTW.  Last ST's we had were section 129.  Row 20ish    4 seats on the isle.   

I learned to watch the game from the end zone.  And I'll never see a game differently from here on out.

Dad always said watch the line. ,from there you'll know the play

Maybe one day I'll share who my dad is.  Right now he says no. HAHA 

6 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

BTW.  Last ST's we had were section 129.  Row 20ish    4 seats on the isle.   

I learned to watch the game from the end zone.  And I'll never see a game differently from here on out.

Dad always said watch the line. ,from there you'll know the play

Maybe one day I'll share who my dad is.  Right now he says no. HAHA 

Yeah that is a different view, viewing from the endzone is different compared to having 50 yard line or so tickets lol. Just going to a game is great regardless in reality. I have been to a few games sitting right behind the endzone, I didn't mind it at all :thmup: 

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

2009.  Polian and irsay ruined it by stopping the momentum.    I love both of them,   but their good intentions ruined a perfect season.   And hank basket.   Add him into things

Dude so much this ^^  I remember my dad looking at me when they rested players and took that first loss against the Jets, talking about destiny and the perfect record and how he thought this was the team. And especially after that heartbreaking super bowl those words ring in my head whenever i see any glimpse of that season. 
it would have been absolutely EPIC to attain perfect season status shortly after New Englands 2007 demise!

13 minutes ago, Indycrazy1287 said:

Dude so much this ^^  I remember my dad looking at me when they rested players and took that first loss against the Jets, talking about destiny and the perfect record and how he thought this was the team. And especially after that heartbreaking super bowl those words ring in my head whenever i see any glimpse of that season. 
it would have been absolutely EPIC to attain perfect season status shortly after New Englands 2007 demise!

Yeah, how anyone can justify resting your starters at 14-0 with 2 easily winnable games left just is mindboggling. Polian pulled the plug on history and that deserves a big boooooooooooooooooooo.

People will say it didn't affect our momentum because we won the AFC anyway which is pure horse dung as @crazycolt1 would say. We could beat the Ravens and Jets in our sleep anyway. At 18-0 it could've been a different outcome against the Saints. The game may have played out differently because of mindset, etc.. Some people just think that SB would've been the same, I know plenty of people that say different. 

How some people could even be on board with what happened just aren't about history. We could've and should've been 19-0, that would've separated us from any team of all-time. 

6 hours ago, BluesGirl said:

Would put that team above any Colts team    Even the 2006 team that won the SB    Even the old Baltimore teams.

Put one the 59-65 teams against  the 2005 team and they lose.  Even the 2006  

It was special   OTHER than the kicker. SMDH!!!

Can't compare eras. Average O Lineman was 240 lbs. QBs weren't protected, and corners hand-fighting wasn't allowed.  No Off-season conditioning- players had to work second jobs to pay their bills.  Totally different games.

23 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Can't compare eras. Average O Lineman was 240 lbs. QBs weren't protected, and corners hand-fighting wasn't allowed.  No Off-season conditioning- players had to work second jobs to pay their bills.  Totally different games.

That is why I only listed Indianapolis era teams. Of course the 1958 Colts would rank way up there if I factored in every era.

13 hours ago, craigerb said:

Even without a 1R pick?

I think so. The offense should be gelled and peaking. Or young players should be developed and our stars still in their prime... Barring any major injuries of course. 

Obviously though it's still a stretch to think they could match a few of the great years we had with Peyton. 

If you put the 3 or so best iterations of the team with Peyton at the helm, I think the 05' squad was probably the best on paper, because it had a bit of grit in other areas that weren't passing and pass rush. The year before and after, just from recollection, maybe a hair off the mark. I'm thinking the number show a better 03/04 team though.. Don't really remember at this point. (It happened! I forgot! Life does go on! lol).

Or 2006coltsbestever ? Hard to argue with winning the SB.

I actually misspoke earlier. I think the 2007 team was the “best” team. That was the year they lost to SD. 

The game of the season that year was an 8-0 NE coming to the Dome to take on a 7-0 IND team.

It was 7-6 NE as the 1st half was coming to a close...and then Addai took a Manning pass 73 yards to the house to go up 13-7 at half.

With less than 10 mins to go...Colts scored a TD to go up 20-10. NE came back and won 24-10...after sacking Manning twice on 3rd down in consecutive possessions (the last one a lost fumble). Colts win that game and I think they go undefeated.

Because the very next game was the infamous 6 INT game against SD that the Colts lost 23-21. It was an outlier and they still should have won. They had  ball in the RZ near the end of the game and couldn’t score the TD...then Vinny missed a chip shot.

The only other loss that season was Week 17 against TEN with the starters resting.

And then the loss to Volek and SD in the playoffs. 

That team should have been much closer to repeating than history remembers.

As great as a lot of our teams were, only the teams that won it all can be considered the greats of the greats. If you don't finish it doesn't matter. Just like the 2007 Pats, they can't be considered because they lost the SB. On paper the 2005 team was the best but they lost in the divisional round, in 1968 the Baltimore Colts lost to a Joe Namath team they had no business losing too. It is unfortunate but it happens. 2006 and 1970 are the 2 teams that stand out because they won the SB. 1958 and 1959 do as well because they won the Championship.

The Championship teams have to be rated higher than the other teams, so it would probably go:

1. 2006 Colts - won SB, 10-0 at home overall beat Brady and BB in the AFC Title Game, beat the Bears in the SB.

2. 1958 Colts - won Championship

3. 1959 Colts - won Championship

4. 1970 Colts - won SB, beat Dallas

5. 1968 Colts - lost SB, best Colts team ever that didn't win it all.

6. 2005 Colts - lost divisional round to eventual SB Champ - Pitt. I put them here because on paper this team was loaded and still had Edge James.

7. 2009 Colts - lost SB, oh what could've been??

8. 2003 - lost in AFC Title Game to a very strong/great Pats team in New England.

9. 1995 Colts - 1 play away from winning the AFC Title Game, making the SB. Harbaugh was magical and our defense was very good and fundamentally sound.

10. 2014 Colts - Luck's best year ever, 40 TD's, 4700 yards, and we made the AFC Title Game but the Pats man handled us.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, jvan1973 said:

2009.  Polian and irsay ruined it by stopping the momentum.    I love both of them,   but their good intentions ruined a perfect season.   And hank basket.   Add him into things

I'd say (at least since they moved to Indy) it'd be the 2005, 2006 or 2009 team.  The 2005 and 2009 teams had the best records (14-2) in regular season.  Unfortunately, the 2005 team was one and done in playoffs so hard to argue they were the best as they didn't even win a playoff game let alone make it to the SB.

I agree that Polian/Caldwell stopped the momentum by resting players in 2009.  I'll never forget Peyton standing on the sideline with his helmet on the rest of that game after they pulled starters, he looked absolutely furious.  Jeff Saturday said years later that his biggest regret as a player was not going for a perfect season in 2009.... the SB loss that year was a tough pill to swallow, the only thing I was happy about was New Orleans brought a title to their city so soon after Hurricane Katrina.

All that aside, the Colts failed to win the SB that year.  I think Dungy was a far superior coach to Caldwell.  We were without Marvin that year, Bob Sanders was on IR, etc.  With a pretty similar team the following year we went 10-6 and then without Peyton the next year we went 2-14 and it was exposed that our roster was actually pretty weak without stud QB play.  The more I think about it, the more I wonder if 2009 was more Peyton being a hero than the Colts having a very great team from top to bottom.  

I go back and forth on this, but thinking the 2006 group may be a bit better of an overall team.  They were unbeaten at home and sealed the deal with a SB win.  While Bob Sanders only played 4 regular season games, he was back for the playoffs and the defense only gave up 73.3 yards rushing per game in that run against some pretty darn good teams.  We had a better OL (Tarik Glenn at LT instead of Charlie Johnson in  2009).  And we had a better WR corps with both Marv and Reggie than we did in 2009 with Reggie and Garcon.  I think you could argue the RB duo of Addai (1081 yards) and Rhodes (641 yards) was as good or better in 2006 than Addai (828 yards) and D. Brown (281 yards) in 2009.   I think our defense was better overall in 2006 than it was in 2009 (especially come playoff time when Sanders was back) and that we had a better head coach in Dungy than we did with Caldwell.  Going position by position (or positional group by group), I think the only position where the 2009 team was clearly better than 2006 is punter (McAfee > Hunter Smith).  

I know the 2009 team had more pro-bowlers and all-pros, but I'm not sure if they were overall better than 2006.  The 2009 team had 3 first-team all-pros (Clark, Freeney, Manning) and 1 2nd team (Wayne) along with 7 probowlers (Wayne, Freeney, Manning, Saturday, Clark, Mathis, Bethea).  The 2006 team had 1 first-team all pro (Marv) and two 2nd team all pros (Manning, Saturday) along with 5 pro bowlers (Saturday, Manning, Marv, Reggie, T. Glenn).  So there is some argument there, but we had all the players who made pro-bowl in 2009 on the 2006 team (and 2006 we had Marv, Glenn, and at least at play off time we had a healthy Bob Sanders).  

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is a different view, viewing from the endzone is different compared to having 50 yard line or so tickets lol. Just going to a game is great regardless in reality. I have been to a few games sitting right behind the endzone, I didn't mind it at all :thmup: 

I sat in endzone couple times.  It's nice when the offense is coming toward you inside the RedZone....but can't say I liked it when the offense is moving away from you on opposite side of field over 100 yards away.

But I did see Andre Rison's TD vs dolphins in Miami. We were in endzone and colts were driving toward us and rison scored a TD that was voted Top 100 TD's ever, I think. And we saw it in  person not too far away from our seats.

I think I seen another top 100 td, but can't remember for sure, lol. I think it was a Ricky Williams run? 

Such a long time ago haha

Unitas’ Baltimore Colts of 1958-1958 are the greatest in history of the franchise since they were the only Colts teams to win back to back World Championships.

The 1968 Baltimore Colts were the greatest team to never win the World Championship.  Arguably in NFL history. 

The 2005 Indianapolis Colts were the most talented team in Indy’s history.

However, the 2006 Colts were the greatest in Indianapolis Colts history since they actually won the Super Bowl.  

On 2/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As great as a lot of our teams were, only the teams that won it all can be considered the greats of the greats. If you don't finish it doesn't matter.  2006 and 1970 are the 2 teams that stand out because they won the SB.

1970 team didn't have the SB MVP (only time winning team didn't.)  Though if Rick Volk had returned his interception 3 more yards for a TD, he would have been the SB MVP.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:46 AM, The Fish said:

If you put the 3 or so best iterations of the team with Peyton at the helm, I think the 05' squad was probably the best on paper, because it had a bit of grit in other areas that weren't passing and pass rush. The year before and after, just from recollection, maybe a hair off the mark. I'm thinking the number show a better 03/04 team though.. Don't really remember at this point. (It happened! I forgot! Life does go on! lol).

Or 2006coltsbestever ? Hard to argue with winning the SB.

05 was way better top 2 scoring defense and top 10 in multiple areas . With a dominant running game with james putting up 1500 rushing yards.  The colts just got overconfident and came out soft . In 06 they learned their lesson but the running defense was horrible in 06 two good playoff defensive games do not make up for giving up almost 300 rushing yards in back to back games and backing in to the playoffs.

44 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

05 was way better top 2 scoring defense and top 10 in multiple areas . With a dominant running game with james putting up 1500 rushing yards.  The colts just got overconfident and came out soft . In 06 they learned their lesson but the running defense was horrible in 06 two good playoff defensive games do not make up for giving up almost 300 rushing yards in back to back games and backing in to the playoffs.

Stats are deceiving, in 2006 Bob Sanders only played 4 games. Don't you think had he played all 16 games that the Colts Run D would've been much better? It was obvious it was in the 1st 2 playoff games with him back. 2006 was the best Colts team ever, they won it all is the #1 thing, they were mentally tough and not soft like they were in years prior, they went 10-0 at home = great teams take care of their home turf, and they beat Brady and BB to win the AFC. Another thing the 2006 team had over the 2005 team was the kicker. Vander was a choke, Adam V was automatic in crunch time back then.

Oooh another tough one. Obviously OG's have seen this team a lot longer than me. (been a fan since 03) But I'd say IMO 2009 was the best. Blew the doors off of everyone in 05. 09 We blew some out.. came from behind to steal. and had the ball for 14 mins and won. But of course we didn't know back then the Drew Brees wasn't allowed to throw incompletions against the Colts. It's against the universe for that to happen.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2006 was the best Colts team ever, they won it all is the #1 thing, they were mentally tough and not soft like they were in years prior

I mean.. i konw we've debated this in the past. It's kinda hard to argue since 2006 colts were the champs. But alot of times the best team doesn't win the Superbowl. And we definently skirted by in the playoffs. It's weird to think the best offensive game or HALF was against the freaking "GOAT" team/player in the 2006 run. But I think 2005 and 2009 handle 2006 Colts. 

22 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I mean.. i konw we've debated this in the past. It's kinda hard to argue since 2006 colts were the champs. But alot of times the best team doesn't win the Superbowl. And we definently skirted by in the playoffs. It's weird to think the best offensive game or HALF was against the freaking "GOAT" team/player in the 2006 run. But I think 2005 and 2009 handle 2006 Colts. 

Nah, 2006 all the way happy homer simpson GIF

On 2/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All the teams from 2003-2009 are pretty even:

2003 = 12-4

2004 = 12-4

2005 = 14-2

2006 = 12-4

2007 = 13-3

2008 = 12-4

2009 = 14-2

What separates the 2006 team from the others is, that team stepped up and went 4-0 in the playoffs to win the SB. It was their run that was impressive during that playoffs that stands out. Winning at Baltimore against Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Steve McNair/a great O.Line, then beating Tom Brady and Bill Belichick for all the AFC marbles.

It is nice to look at seven consecutive 12 win seasons, I'm not sure I will ever do that seven years in a row again even with 17 games. The 2006 team was dead last against the run in the regular season, I really can't say the 2006 was better than 2003,2004,2005,2007,or 2009, they just won happened to win the SB, and the other teams didn't, Kind of like the 1967 &1968 Colts teams had one loss each in the regular season, but the 1970 team won the SB. 

1 hour ago, horseshoepower said:

It is nice to look at seven consecutive 12 win seasons, I'm not sure I will ever do that seven years in a row again even with 17 games. The 2006 team was dead last against the run in the regular season, I really can't say the 2006 was better than 2003,2004,2005,2007,or 2009, they just won happened to win the SB, and the other teams didn't, Kind of like the 1967 &1968 Colts teams had one loss each in the regular season, but the 1970 team won the SB. 

2009 bugs me the most because I believe had Polian not ordered us to pull the starters, we go 16-0. Then the way the SB ended, the worse pass by Peyton all year. It wasn't all Peyton's fault though, Reggie ran a lazy route. I have looked at that on replay probably 100 times still trying to figure out what went wrong. Usually that was automatic between those two. The onsides kick was the most critical turning point of SB 44 in reality, we get that, we probably go down and score and take a 17-6 lead. Game over at that point. 

16 hours ago, horseshoepower said:

. The 2006 team was dead last against the run in the regular season, I really can't say the 2006 was better than 2003,2004,2005,2007,or 2009, they just won happened to win the SB, and the other teams didn't, Kind of like the 1967 &1968 Colts teams had one loss each in the regular season, but the 1970 team won the SB. 

Actually the poor run defense aided our playoff run.

We were gashed last couple games giving up over 200 rushing yards a game.

So in the playoffs KC & Baltimore game plan was to run it down our throats. 

We got Sanders back from injury and Dungy made some adjustments and our run defense held up and KC & Baltimore practically abandoned trying to pass, they just stubbornly kept trying to run. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:01 AM, Arodgers12 said:

Heck the Steelers wouldn’t have gotten past Cincy if Carson Palmer hadn’t gotten hurt. 

As a Colts fan and a Bengals fan, that year absolutely killed my soul. I hated the Steelers before that season, but after them killing Carson at the start of the game and then stealing a win from my beloved Colts... my hatred ramped up to the burning of a thousand suns.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 10:42 AM, BlackTiger said:

Probably 2005, that  team was loaded and then played a tragically bad game to the sixth seeded Steelers in the playoffs.

I don't think they played a bad game. They out coached the Colts. Pittsburgh, namely Cowher, did things in that game that never did in the past.

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was looking at 3 year stretches and it amazes me we only lost 9 games from 2005-2007. Our regular season record was 39-9 during that stretch. Our playoff record was 4-2 as well with with the SB win in 2006.

It is so hard to believe we only had 1 SB in that time frame.    I have no idea how this happened      We were as close to the Pats dynasty as anyone could be but just fell short 

Just now, BluesGirl said:

It is so hard to believe we only had 1 SB in that time frame.    I have no idea how this happened      We were as close to the Pats dynasty as anyone could be but just fell short 

That could've easily been a 3-Peat team, at least we got 1 anyway. The Colts were about as dominant as you can get in that 3 yr stretch.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That could've easily been a 3-Peat team, at least we got 1 anyway. The Colts were about as dominant as you can get in that 3 yr stretch.

I left those stadiums (plural).  So sad many a yr.   Young girl.   Pom Pons.  Blue eye paint under my eyes.  87 drawn on my cheeks matching my Reggie jersey   Screaming like the world depended on me 

I have a lot more hope in Carson than maybe many of you.   I see more Andrew in him than maybe many of you

I think the Colts contend THIS yr and for yrs to come as Ballard build this thing

I have no reason not to hope. Otherwise I'll go play golf and guitar, sing and rock some stages drink some beers and not worry about it

Archived