Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Colts team of all time

Arodgers12

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2006 team was the greatest and it is not even a debate. They went 10-0 at home including the playoffs, 16-4 overall, and most importantly won the SB = they finished. The 2005 team during the regular season beat teams by a wider margin but lost in the divisional round. That team did not have Adam Vinatieri either, the 2006 team did. In 2006 we seen the best of Bob Sanders in the playoffs and we went through Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Steve McNair at Baltimore, and beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in the AFC Title Game. Also in respect to the 2009 team, that team didn't have Vinatieri either, nor did it have Marvin Harrison or Bob Sanders, Dungy wasn't the Coach as well. It is 2006 hands down.

2006 for sure. They were #2 in offense and #2 in defense (DVOA) that season. There just happened to be a 16-0 team in the AFC that season.

Definitely shouldn't lost to Billy Volek in the Divisional Round. PFM had 1st and goal at the 9...and couldn't score.

Edit: I became a Colts fan in the early-mid 90s, so my person opinion doesn't go that far back.

1959 I am guessing. I think it is unfair to compare teams once free agency started versus teams that didn't have free agency.  The Colts were stacked many times.  That wouldn't happen in free agency era.  So as much as I love the Colts with Manning and Luck, the quality of the teams just can't compare with teams before free agency.

I have to look at this as two different franchises:  The Baltimore Colts and the Indianapolis Colts.

For me, the Johnny Unitas years were an incredible period for the Baltimore Colts.  I have a hard time picking between what's been said above - 1959 or 1968 but, the tie breaker for me goes to the year of my birth:  1968.  

The Peyton Manning era of the Indianapolis Colts was also extremely special but, 2006 for me was the year in the Indianapolis era. 

All the teams from 2003-2009 are pretty even:

2003 = 12-4

2004 = 12-4

2005 = 14-2

2006 = 12-4

2007 = 13-3

2008 = 12-4

2009 = 14-2

What separates the 2006 team from the others is, that team stepped up and went 4-0 in the playoffs to win the SB. It was their run that was impressive during that playoffs that stands out. Winning at Baltimore against Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Steve McNair/a great O.Line, then beating Tom Brady and Bill Belichick for all the AFC marbles.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

2009.  Polian and irsay ruined it by stopping the momentum.    I love both of them,   but their good intentions ruined a perfect season.   And hank basket.   Add him into things

Momentum. ?lol... They made it to the Super Bowl. The SB loss had nothing to do with sitting starters in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Momentum. ?lol... They made it to the Super Bowl. The SB loss had nothing to do with sitting starters in the regular season.

Yep, onside kick and a pick 6.  Major bummer. I couldnt even look at a wheaties box til well after the draft.  The majority of that game was rad tho.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

2009.  Polian and irsay ruined it by stopping the momentum.    I love both of them,   but their good intentions ruined a perfect season.   And hank basket.   Add him into things

We had the magic in 2009 starting 14-0 and Polian ruined it. It will always be a debate because some will say it didn't kill our momentum quitting on the perfect season because we still made the SB. I still think it did because had we been 18-0 with a perfect season on the line, we would've played with more killer instinct. We were going to beat the Ravens and Jets leading upto the SB regardless because we were just so much better.

I would still rank it like this:

1. 2006

2. 2005

3. 2009

2005 we just laid an egg against Pitt. Non Peyton era, our 1995 team was the best IMO. 1 play away from winning the AFC and Harbaugh was just magical that season. Our defense was very good that season as well. The REFS actually screwed us in the 1995 AFC Title game but what else is new.

19 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Colts could of 3peated from 2005-2007. Nick Harper’s girlfriend/wife then Darrien Sproles and Billy Volek

Should've definitely repeated, we had no business losing to Pitt in 2005. That was a joke. We would beat them 8 out of 10 times IMO, they might get us twice and in 2005 they got us once.

I'm not very old and I know the 2005 team was the best ever.   

Didn't win the SB but shoulda 

Would put that team above any Colts team    Even the 2006 team that won the SB    Even the old Baltimore teams.

Put one the 59-65 teams against  the 2005 team and they lose.  Even the 2006  

It was special   OTHER than the kicker. SMDH!!!

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Should've definitely repeated, we had no business losing to Pitt in 2005. That was a joke. We would beat them 8 out of 10 times IMO, they might get us twice and in 2005 they got us once.

I was at that game!!!!  The fumble happened right in front of me. 20 rows up.  Thought we had won it 

11 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

I was at that game!!!!  The fumble happened right in front of me. 20 rows up.  Thought we had won it 

Yeah that game was so depressing. Than Vander missed a FG by a mile that would've tied it to send it to OT. I was at home watching it and was in such shock we lost that all I could do is stare at the TV for like an hour and ask myself, did that really just happen? We were so unbeatable all year. After that game I couldn't watch any football highlights for a week. I shut everything off and ignored it for over a week.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that game was so depressing. Than Vander missed a FG by a mile that would've tied it to send it to OT. I was at home watching it and was in such shock we lost that all I could do is stare at TV for like an hour and ask myself, did that really just happen? We were so unbeatable all year. After that game I couldn't watch any football highlights for a week. I shut everything off and ignored it for over a week.

That was 15 years ago already. I remember watching that game at my parents old house. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that game was so depressing. Than Vander missed a FG by a mile that would've tied it to send it to OT. I was at home watching it and was in such shock we lost that all I could do is stare at TV for like an hour and ask myself, did that really just happen? We were so unbeatable all year. After that game I couldn't watch any football highlights for a week. I shut everything off and ignored it for over a week.

I have had many memorable games that I attended.   pumped in Crowd noise game.  This playoff game.        The dumb punt formation debacle  the KC comeback in the playoffs    

Always good to be a Colts fan!!!!

17 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

I have had many memorable games.   pumped in Crowd noise game.  This playoff game.        The dumb punt formation debacle  the KC comeback in the playoffs    

Always good to be a Colts fan!!!!

I have been to around 50 home games in my time. As a youngster, I went to several games when the team was new in Indy from the Dickerson days to the Harbaugh days. I live about 15 minutes from LOS and have always lived in Indy. During the Peyton era I went to at least 2 games a season with 3 other friends. We would just get 4 tickets and make a day out of it at least 2 Sundays a year - it was tradition , eat at St Elmo as well. I never drove so I could have 5 or 6 beers and really have fun. I went to several games in 2012 and in 2013 as well when Luck first started here but haven't been to a game since the 2013 season. 

I would say the signature games I have attended were:

1. 2009 - Sunday night game vs the Pats. We won 35-34 after being down big. Peyton defeats Brady.

2. 1999 - vs Dallas, Marv burns Deion. We won.

3. 2004 - vs Broncos, playoff game. We just destroyed them.

- I haven seen the Texans, Jags, and Titans so many times I have lost count lol. The last game I went too was when we played the Texans in 2013. We won 25-3 with Luck at QB, won the division that season and went on to an 11-5 record.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been to around 50 home games in my time. As a youngster, I went to several games when the team was new in Indy from the Dickerson days to the Harbaugh days. I live about 15 minutes from LOS and have always lived in Indy. During the Peyton era I went to at least 2 games a season with 3 other friends. We would just get 4 tickets and make a day out of it at least 2 Sundays a year - it was tradition , eat at St Elmo as well. I never drove so I could have 5 or 6 beers and really have fun. I went to several games in 2012 and in 2013 as well when Luck first started here but haven't been to a game since the 2013. season. 

I would say the signature games I have attended were:

1. 2009 - Sunday night game vs the Pats. We won 35-34 after being down big. Peyton defeats Brady.

2. 1999 - vs Dallas, Marv burns Deion. We won.

3. 2004 - vs Broncos, playoff game. We just destroyed them.

- I haven seen the Texans, Jags, and Titans so many times I have lost count lol. The last game I went too was when we played the Texans in 2013. We won 25-3 with Luck at QB, won the division that season and went on to an 11-5 record.

Been to many games, Family STH's.   I've never been to St Elmos.   Many exciting moments.   Maybe the best times as a kid was eating at the food court at circle center before the games.    Memories are never forgotten. 

3 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Been to many games, Family STH's.   I've never been to St Elmos.   Many exciting moments.   Maybe the best times as a kid was eating at the food court at circle center before the games.    Memories are never forgotten. 

Yeah, great memories. Now I just enjoy sitting at home watching the Colts and following all the games on my laptop with my 6 pack and some Hot Wings lol. Food court has a lot of good/different food, downtown used to be great. It still may be but I haven't been downtown in years. The St Elmo eatings was only twice a year, that place is too expensive but it is great. Great steak and shrimp. I remember the food court used to have a really good Chinese place, I have had that before.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, great memories. Now I just enjoy sitting at home watching the Colts and following all the games on my laptop with my 6 pack and some Hot Wings lol. Food court has a lot of good/different food, downtown used to be great. It still may be but I haven't been downtown in years. The St Elmo eatings was only twice a year, that place is too expensive but it is great. Great steak and shrimp. I remember the food court used to have a really good Chinese place, I have had that before.

Yep the Chinese food was always our go to.    Loved being able to go to the Colts store and get something. Even if it was small.    I always wanted a Reggie jersey (my favorite Colt EVER!!).     Then one day I got one!!!  And Reggie signed it to me himself.   Now in a shadowbox in my basement.    I have another that I wear every game day!!!  I love Reggie Wayne!!!

Best Colts memory ever!!!!

Being a Colts fan has many memories for many people  in different ways   We were not well off by any means. But my Dad made sure we had this in our lives.    I will always be a Colts fan because of those memories.   My Dad has since moved to bigger and better things.    This is why I know so much about this defense. And I promise my Dad knows THIS defense  Enough said on that  

2 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Yep the Chinese food was always our go to.    Loved being able to go to the Colts store and get something. Even if it was small.    I always wanted a Reggie jersey (my favorite Colt EVER!!).     Then one day I got one!!!  And Reggie signed it to me himself.   Now in a shadowbox in my basement.    I have another that I wear every game day!!!  I love Reggie Wayne!!!

Best Colts memory ever!!!!

Being a Colts fan has many memories for many people  in different ways   We were not well off by any means. But my Dad made sure we had this in our lives.    I will always be a Colts fan because of those memories.   My Dad has since moved to bigger and better things.    This is why I know so much about this defense.  Enough said on that  

I loved Reggie too. I was pretty young but Dickerson was my 1st favorite - I went to some games with my dad when Dickerson was here, then the Harbaugh days, then in the Peyton era of course Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Freeney, Mathis, Saturday, and Sanders. Luck was amazing for the few years he gave us. We have been spolied. Since 1995 playing in 5 AFC Title Games = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2014 + 2 SB's = 2006 and 2009 winning in 2006 is pretty good. I would say at worse since the team moved here in 1984, we have been around a top 5-7 franchise out of the 32 teams that we have.

Archived