Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford (merge)

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

This.

People are overstating the price LA paid. In particular, that 2023 (likely late) 1st is 

more like a mid-high, 2021 3rd.

And Goff was treated more like a negative asset; addition by subtraction. 

This.

People are overstating the price LA paid. In particular, that 2023 (likely late) 1st is 

more like a mid-high, 2021 3rd.

And Goff was treated more like a negative asset; addition by subtraction. 

Yeah, they’ll likely be two lower 1st round picks. But I’m still glad we didn’t try to go that rich for a 33 year old QB that somebody else is wanting to unload.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not for investing that kind of capital in a 33 year old QB who has never won anything.  I don’t see the upgrade over Goff, but time will tell.

If it works out with some playoff wins, that’s good for them, but I just don’t see it.  I don’t see how it moves the needle.

I would have been surprised if Stanford would have moved the needle from where Rivers left it.

So even though I think he’s a nice player, I’m glad we didn’t invest.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think Wentz will be available.  And I think if his play returns to previous high level (and there's no reason it shouldn't) he is capable of being a Bigger Difference maker than Stafford.  Plus he's younger and more mobile. 

I think our QB whisperer,  Frank, wants him and he's been our main target. 

I think they fired Doug because te wanted Hurts starting.. Sirianni is Wentz fix, not gona let him go...

Ya can’t make a QB appear out of thin air.  I think the best veteran we can swing this year will be Andy Dalton on a two-year contact.  A class guy who showed he had something left this year (until he got hurt).  Then I wouldn’t be surprised by Trask or that Davis Mills QB outta Stanford who’s quietly rising in the draft...

This will take a wise thought process from the Colts Front Office

Our draft position may put us in a scenario where we don't get our QB of the long term future, this year

Immediate Realistic Moves

Sign Winston

Now my number 1 option, with Stafford gone

Work with him on interceptions, but anyone that can pass for 5100 yards - 30 TDs has something going for them

He is very strong armed, mobile, and was a starter for a few years. IF and a  BIG IF.... If he has his head on straight, you give this kid a chance .We could get him AND keep our draft picks. 

Since that 30 Int season , Winston has had eye surgery (Supposedly that contributed), and has had one year with Sean Payton (And Drew Brees) to help him on vision of the field. Give him some time with Frank Reich (And new QB Coach) and I bet they would install some safer plays and work with him on protecting the ball. He could be brought in to compete with Eason. Winston would cost a 2 year prove it deal, at up to 8M per year.  That move would give us some cap space to pick up a needed FA (Or two) and start extending our current stars ....  This move has a VERY low risk associated. AND for those that think we should hand the team over to Eason, this allows a competition. 

Trade for Darnold

The poor kid has no receivers, no OL (35 sacks), anemic running game. (Frank Gore was turned in on the IR for a broken wheel on his wheelchair)  Is he the answer?  I dont know.  He is a mobile, strong armed QB with a long release......

He could come in an compete with Eason.   He would cost us probably a 3rd or 4th. He is still on a cheap rookie contract.

Possible Draft Moves

There are 4 excellent candidates, that have a great chance to ALL being gone before we get to the podium. Looking at the draft board and seeing stupid moves for QBs, I see all of these gone before the 13th pick.  There is a realistic chance that they are all gone by pick 9

There are at least TWELVE teams that pick before us that MIGHT pick a QB in round 1

If we want Fields, I'm thinking that at a MINIMUM, thats 2-3 first round picks, some 2nd round picks AND probably a good player

I might be wrong but I don't see the Colts giving up a HUGE ransom of picks to move up. It seems out of CBs standard operating procedure.

That leaves Kyle Trask (3rd round pick) and Mac Jones, (2nd round pick) as players that would be competing for a backup role in the NFL.

MAYBE they defy the odds and become decent starters

Would we draft either of these players and have them compete with Eason?  To me.... thats very risky for this year.

Post June 1 Trade

Carson Wentz (My second option)

Supposedly Carson Wentz still wants out of Philly, even after a coach change.

After June 1, the cap hit is less,.

Wentz is a little risky but may be worth a trade here, especially if Philly uses the 6th pick on a QB.

Wentz is expensive, but dont hold 2019 completely against him. The Eagles line gave up 65 Sacks, and MANY hits on the QB

Put him behind an excellent OL and put him back with Frank Reich (and new QB coach) and we may have a QB for the next 10 Years

Tough Choices Ahead

I trust in the Lord above,

and Chris Ballard to make the right decision for the Colts 

People who keep talking about the devaluing of picks seem to be glossing over a key component:

the reason picks right now have more value than future picks is typically that picks right now can help you now and GMs and coaches need to and want to win now to keep their jobs. 

the lions had a beautiful opportunity here. They have brand spanking new GM and head coach (who got a six year deal). Those two guys have the benefit of patience and time on their side. The entire reason Stafford was even on the table at all is because he did not want to be part of another rebuild and the Lions basically acknowledged they are rebuilding. 

this is smart for the lions. 

it reminds of the nba where when you trade a player to make a “super team “ the team trading away the good players wants first round picks out as far as they can get for when that super team starts to unravel and the picks are higher. 

I like this move for the lions a lot. 

not to mention people complaining about Goff and his contract haven’t run the numbers it seems. Goff’s cost is basically what Stafford was gonna be for the lions. 

stafford is $18M dead cap and $43M the next two years.

Goff is $22M in dead cap and then $53M over the next two years. 

so the lions are paying stafford/Goff $71M in the next two years and the Rams are paying stafford/Goff $65M over the next two years. 

basically to downgrade from stafford to Goff and pay an extra $6M the lions got (2) 1s and a 3 with the ones coming later on which the lions can wait on. 

• Nadine changed the title to Matthew Stafford (merge)

I'm still going to stick with my bold, yet unpopular, prediction... Colts 2021 QB is going to be Trubisky.

Winston stays with the Saints and besides I don't think the Colts want him anyway as he could've been had last year a lot cheaper than Rivers and the Colts passed

Darnold might get traded and if he does he goes to Washington but Saleh would have to really love one of those QB's better and I think Jets have too many holes. Meaning they keep Darnold and sell spot for picks

Jags draft a QB

Falcons draft a QB

Broncos draft a QB or bring in Fitz to push Lock

3way trade

49ers get Watson

Patriots get Garrapolo

Texans draft QB and get picks and player from 49ers and Pats

Panthers draft QB and keep Teddy

Bears take Dalton

Washington drafts QB or trades for Darnold

Sorry my point is too many need QB's and I don't see Colts trading away a bunch of futures to draft a QB or get into a desperation contest with other teams over scrap QB's...

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Would you guys trade this years 1st and 2nd, next years 1st and 2nd for this years #1 to get Lawrence?

My answer is YES

The sad thing is..... that wouldn't be enough to get that spot, and the jags to agree to trade with us.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

That 1st pick is worth 3000 pts

Our 21st pick is worth 1200 pts, Our 2nd is worth 360 pts = 1560

Next years 1st is worth 590 our second is worth 270 = 840

(Since it is a future pick, and less valuable today,  At least one writer used the pick value tied to the bottom of the round)

IF... a big IF.....  you use that method value, our pick would be worth 2400 vs 3000

The Jags arent going to cut us any deal, I dont think

This is an important question as CB MIGHT just want to bite the bullet and get his QB of the future.

We will get fleeced if we want to go up and get one of the four top QBs...... if one of these QBs slide a bit.....  maybe CB will have an opportunity to not get fleeced as bad........

Lawrence may be a bit out of our reach

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Wentz and Winston both have turnover issues. Fix that and youve got pretty good QB to win some games with. Winston has been immature but i dont think hes a bad guy. Maybe hes grown some. Havent seen anything bad lately. I still remember how he carved us up down in Tampa. He does have great leadership qualities in terms of rallying guys around him. I like his Moxie, but i hate the turnovers.

Winston I think is not the same guy.  From all accounts his team mates in Tampa loved him. He is married with a son now. Might of made dumb decision in college or early in his career by it does look like he is pretty mature now and has done a lot of good things with charities ect.  But is his turnover issue him being reckless or not being able to read defenses? That is something Ballard and Reich would have to look at. If they can figure him out he would be a lot of fun to watch play.

9 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Why would you need to make a QB move in the case that you sign a FA WR?  They don't care who the QB is as much as $$$.... The QB matters to a WR to BUILD the wr resume.... Not pad stats while collecting the huge money....

In a year where the cap is going down, I see more WRs taking 1 or 2 year contracts, which means they are going to be picky about where they go. Plus I don’t see Ballard involved in a bidding war to make the $$$ matter.

3 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

We all want white castle.  Its 5 am and I want white castle!

Ugh.... brings back some long time ago drunks......

I was in Ohio..... when I lived in Cincy 4 AM was Skyline Chili to get sober enough to drive

in columbus?  WHITE CASTLE!!!!

A little hamburger to go with the PILE of onions.... Im still burping them :)

2 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

I think they fired Doug because te wanted Hurts starting.. Sirianni is Wentz fix, not gona let him go...

If that was the case nick should of just said Carson is the starter. He didn’t. He said they have to evaluate the roster. Mentioned how they had two QB. I still think it is a possibility.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Our hand will likely get forced to act sooner. 

Because some other QB needy team will want to do a deal much sooner than draft day.   That team’s timeline will be different than ours.   

It’s hard to control how these things play out. 

True. 

It ultimately depends on what Irsay feels about the direction Ballard wishes to go in. If he’s going to be patient, no matter what moves other teams make, I feel Ballard stays patient till draft day.

10 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Disappointed in Stafford to the rams.  Granted my "wait and see approach" is still in full swing.

My impression at this second tho is that Ballard cant continue to shy away from a bold move at qb.  A price is required to obtain top (or sufficient) talent.  Our SB window is now.  

From what i understand. We're in one of the best cap situations in the league, we have a strong young roster.......and Ballard is going on a half decade at the helm.

Bold moves dont always equate to reaching.  So interested what Ballard comes up with.  Fielding Brissett and taking a pass is starting to look like his style tho.

I don't agree with this sentiment. Whether or not you have a QB, you keep drafting well and trying to hit on picks and we've seen that this GM is adept at it. No reason why he can't replace any talent that he may lose. The SB window is whenever you have a QB.

There is always a window open if you have competent process and run a smart organization. It's why the Rams went to the SB with Goff, and SF with Jimmy G. We all want a super QB but you can't mortgage you future for someone who isn't worth the picks. I liked Stafford but to me two things stood out in this Colts-Stafford frenzy of the last week or so. #1, people said Stafford would be a carryover from the Luck years but i never saw that....the dude was always worse than Luck. #2 Many assumed he'd help us smoothly transition from Rivers but again I dont really see that. Rivers > Stafford IMHO. Sure there're physical things that Stafford can do that Rivers cant but mentally it's not a contest. Rivers was a 9/10 where Stafford might be a 6 or 7. Stafford would have been a good QB but let someone else mortgage their future for him. If that's the cost then it's better to gamble on the draft IMHO, we've seen Staff's ceiling, I don't know that it's higher than what we saw with Rivers. 

As long as this staff keeps hitting on one or two picks every draft, the window isnt shutting. Draft well, be smart, when you get a chance at a QB for a good price, pounce. Dont overpay for average to good, overpay for EXCELLENT. 

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

I know he isn’t and I’ve given up on that hope but that would cure all ills.  

I feel ya. Mahomes vs luck should of been the next peyton vs brady for the next decade. This roster with a prime andrew and we'd be challenging for SB every year. Kills me every day

8 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

We stay patient, I get it.  He's half a decade in tho.  Whether he, or we, like it it's time for him to define his tenure.

Hes built a super bowl quality roster but seems paralyzed in committing to a mid to long term solution at the helm.

Hes got to commit and hes got to accept that there is a cost associated with that decision.  Trade up and be three years away (the edge of our window)  or acquire a quality qb with 5 years of quality play left in him.  That was Stafford and hes playing in LA. 

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how Ballard addresses it.

If Ballard doesn't make a move......it will b  2 years wasted on this roster. I felt last years was the year to make a move. They were sitting at #13  and that was prime real estate to make a move. They signed Rivers and he only played for a year. Now they r in qb limbo. Mayb Ballard has something up his sleeve, but a move up in the draft is going to b mighty expensive. Everyone lauded him for getting Buckner last year because we were on the cusp. I would rather gave Herbert for example and unknown 3 technique than Buckner and unknown qb. Just saying

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If Ballard doesn't make a move......it will b  2 years wasted on this roster. I felt last years was the year to make a move. They were sitting at #13  and that was prime real estate to make a move. They signed Rivers and he only played for a year. Now they r in qb limbo. Mayb Ballard has something up his sleeve, but a move up in the draft is going to b mighty expensive. Everyone lauded him for getting Buckner last year because we were on the cusp. I would rather gave Herbert for example and unknown 3 technique than Buckner and unknown qb. Just saying

Yeah, it's hard to criticize the Buckner trade because he's so good, but at the time, my thoughts were use that 13 to go get Herbert. I thought he looked a lot like..... Luck. Similar ball, similar mental traits (smart guys), similar build ect. 

Oh well. I don't see a sleeper in this class FWIW. This idea that there's 5 or 6 round 1 QB's and they're all sure fire. 

No.

9 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Wow!  Lions with the steal!   Rams are out of their minds.   I would not have wanted to give up more than a 1st & 2nd max. Glad Ballard ceded to the Rams and their stupidity.  

Why? Rams r aggressive. They got a franchise qb and got rid of qb who has hit the wall and has a brutal contract. That is the sign of a great GM. They admitted their mistake with Geoff and got rid of him. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, it's hard to criticize the Buckner trade because he's so good, but at the time, my thoughts were use that 13 to go get Herbert. I thought he looked a lot like..... Luck. Similar ball, similar mental traits (smart guys), similar build ect. 

Oh well. I don't see a sleeper in this class FWIW. This idea that there's 5 or 6 round 1 QB's and they're all sure fire. 

No.

Now we can truly grade Ballard. Maybe Eason is the guy. That being said. Ballard needs to get his guy now. Another year of a retread does nothing but delay the inevitable. We r going to see how good a GM he truly is moving forward.

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Now we can truly grade Ballard. Maybe Eason is the guy. That being said. Ballard needs to get his guy now. Another year of a retread does nothing but delay the inevitable. We r going to see how good a GM he truly is moving forward.

You're singing my tune on this subject. I've long thought Ballard's grade was incomplete due to the Andrew Luck story into what is his pick of QB. The longer he could put it off- there'd be some upside to that for the franchise and his job security. You can kind of spin this point several ways and I'm not saying to be totally cynical about it, but yeah, now he's going to be in the same light as the rest of the GM's who "get their guy" and make the fans wait 3 or 4 years, even if it's not working by week 8 of year 1. 

This is why Stafford was the move. It was the easiest to project an upgrade on last year. Now there's a chance Ballard has been building a thing that's going to peak without a driver in the car so to speak. But hey, we can be the Bears or something. Be 7-9 to 9-7, run the ball some, stop the run some and be boring as all get out. I'm concerned that's what's up.

4 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Hope you're right

I would imagine they might have to give them a extra pick to take his contact on.  But it might be able to be done if it is a later pick. I think we will know more in a couple weeks after eagles have a chance to evaluate their roster. I don’t think they can go into the season with both Him and Hurts.

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

@Thebrashandthebold

Why are you so high on Newton. He proved last year he's not very good.

He had rust but he showed moments of greatness. He can still take over a game and make huge plays. He didn't show that he had lost anything in running the ball and his throwing arm is strong. The Pats had no defense so he was always having to put up 30 plus points to stay in the fame. He had lousy receivers. I would love to see him behind our offensive line and he will add greatly to the running game and if we add some better WRs, his passing will be good too. Stafford on his best day was never as good at Cam. Luck on his best day never did the things Cam Newton could to. Get him at a bargain price and keep building the rest of the team and developing Eason. He isn't ready yet. Can is still young and he is in his QB prime and could be the answer for another ten years. His injuries are behind him. He showed that. Some team will get him and he will outperform lots of the veteran QBs that have been mentioned here and certainly any rookies. Teams have to change everything to try and defend Cam Newton. Rivers was never as good as Cam Newton. Rivers was throwing lots of picks before he came to the Colts for some of the same reasons that Cam did. He had to try and come from behind all of and he was forced to make many risky passes. Look what happened when he came here. The picks were no longer a program. I think that would come with Cam too. I answered your question but I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

I wouldnt be too mad if we grabbed Winston as a bit of a project to be honest. I think we can do something with Jameis. Yeah and grab OJ Howard while youre at it. Hes got good pocket presence, throws with anticipation, can throw on the run, has a nice deep ball amongst other things. Frank wouldnt ask him to throw as much as Arians. I think some of his issues are sort of similar to Rivers last year in SD in some parts of his game. My boy is fearless.

Yeah, I could see Ballard outbidding the Saints for his services.  I mean he gave JB 25M a year for two years.  Why not Winston?  He knows how to pay QB's that's for sure.   Reich is a whisperer right?  He can fix anybody.  I can see him taking a flyer.  Save his picks and put it all on Reichs shoulders.  

Archived