Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford (merge)

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Philly is in the same boat as the rams. Most likely will have to pay a team to take Wentz. We will see if he requests a trade. This might be one that no one sees coming until it happens. Phili might feel that they could use some extra picks to help the roster and really like Hurts. This one will take some time I think to develop if it is a possibility. 

The reasoning is that they hired Sirianni to fix Wentz and if I am giving up 2 first rounders, I would rather do that for a younger QB like Wentz IF he is available and IF the coaches are confident he can be back to playing his best ball like his rookie year, than for a veteran QB.

Colts give up: 2021 1st rounder, 2022 1st for Wentz and his contract

Colts get: Eagles 3rd rounders in 2021 and 2022 (this is for us taking on his contract)

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just like a draft day trade.  We'd give up our 3rd to move from 21 to 6.  That's a huge bargain.  And we'd probably have to give up next years first to get that far.

Philly would be throwing in Wentz.

if they're willing to "throw in" Wentz, what does that say about his actual trade value (and would they be willing to somehow absorb some of his contract)? And if next year's 1st is included, then IMO it's not really a "huge" bargain

I don't think this is a no-brainer, win-win trade that others do, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape if Ballard made it. It would be out of character for him, but whatever....it sounds more promising than another year of JB or a year of Foles

I continue to have doubts that Roseman would go to the trouble of waging, and winning, a power struggle with a former HC who won him a Super Bowl unless Roseman intended on keeping Wentz, but time will tell I guess

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I feel pretty good he would be ok with Reich. This is where I think I would trust Reich and Ballard. They were right about Rivers.

Rivers also didn't have the reputation that Wentz has (deserved or undeserved) of being something less than a team player who might not fit the Colts' locker-room culture

Gotta think there are (at least) 2 sides to that story, and Reich probably knows all of them, so if CB does make some kind of move for Wentz he's doing so with Frank's full blessing

37 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Phili is in the same boat as the rams. Most likely will have to pay a team to take Wentz. We will see if he requests a trade. This might be one that no one sees coming until it happens. Phili might feel that they could use some extra picks to help the roster and really like Hurts. This one will take some time I think to develop if it is a possibility. 

Ertz has one year left on his contract that pays him 8.25 cash.  Philly could trade him saving the 8.25 for 2021.  We could extend him at 8.25 the first year and then something less for 3 years.  That helps to clear space for Philly.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The reasoning is that they hired Sirianni to fix Wentz and if I am giving up 2 first rounders, I would rather do that for a younger QB like Wentz IF he is available and IF the coaches are confident he can be back to playing his best ball like his rookie year, than for a veteran QB.

Colts get: Eagles 3rd rounders in 2021 and 2022 (this is for us taking on his contract)

Wentz IS a veteran QB as much or more than a "younger" one--he'll turn 29 before the 2021 season is over

personally, given his current level of play, I'm not giving up 2 1st rounders for him--and I would want more than 3rd rounders if I'm taking over that ungodly contract

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The problem with that though is you don’t know what could happen in the draft. I suppose the Wentz deal could come after the draft plays out. But if you are eyeing any FA or wanting to bring some of your own back that QB situation really needs to be known before FA.

24 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

if they're willing to "throw in" Wentz, what does that say about his actual trade value (and would they be willing to somehow absorb some of his contract)? And if next year's 1st is included, then IMO it's not really a "huge" bargain

I don't think this is a no-brainer, win-win trade that others do, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape if Ballard made it. It would be out of character for him, but whatever....it sounds more promising than another year of JB or a year of Foles

I continue to have doubts that Roseman would go to the trouble of waging, and winning, a power struggle with a former HC who won him a Super Bowl unless Roseman intended on keeping Wentz, but time will tell I guess

But we're not losing any capital.  Zero,  We would be shuffling it from next year to this year.  We could probably trade the acquired 6 back down to the 20s and pick back up a  2022 first.

Sure, the idea that  Wentz is a bad QB could make it a net negative deal.  But the contract really only lasts for three more seasons, only two if we wanted to take a mild cap hit if it was a post-June 1st 2022 cut.

He's had a great TD to interception ratio up until last season.  Low picks is what we want in a QB.

I'm not a capologist, but it looks like $15m of his 2022 salary guarantees on March 19th.  So Philly would want to make a decision before that date I would think.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But we're not losing any capital.  Zero,  We would be shuffling it from next year to this year.  We could probably trade the acquired 6 back down to the 20s and pick back up a  2022 first.

Sure, the idea that  Wentz is a bad QB could make it a net negative deal.  But the contract really only lasts for three more seasons, only two if we wanted to take a mild cap hit if it was a post-June 1st 2022 cut.

He's had a great TD to interception ratio up until last season.  Low picks is what we want in a QB.

we're giving up #21, gaining #6, but also losing #3 in 2021 and #1 in 2022? is that correct? sounds like losing draft capital to me

guess I'm not understanding the proposed trade (probably not enough coffee this morning, or maybe too much IPA last night)

34 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I just think most GMs have already formulated their opinions about whether Darnold will ever be a franchise QB or not--if no, then I don't think the "pressure" will make them change their minds

from a P.R. standpoint the Jets may either 1) feel it's too soon to give up on a QB they moved up to draft so recently or 2) succumb to the fan/media pressure to draft yet another supposed franchise QB and look to move Darnold while he still has some trade value

I think some GM's might have formulated opinions on Darnold but we have had a lot of turnover in GM's since he was drafted.  Including the GM who drafted him.  There are too many teams that need a QB.  And there is pressure on those teams to find a QB.  The new Detroit GM decided he was going to move on with a new QB and I think the Jets are going to do the same thing.  Whether its a trade for Watson or drafting one they are going to move on.  If Darnold is plan B and who knows if he is but if he is they should be trying to get him asap so they can move to plan C if need be.  We are in a large scale competition for a QB.  The quicker we secure our target the better.  

21 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

Wentz IS a veteran QB as much or more than a "younger" one--he'll turn 29 before the 2021 season is over

personally, given his current level of play, I'm not giving up 2 1st rounders for him--and I would want more than 3rd rounders if I'm taking over that ungodly contract

Yeah, the Rams trade has pretty much shot those possibilities out of the window for a Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz, IMO. 

I still think we have to let the dust settle through free agency, give ourselves enough room for a cap space of about $25 mil. left after signing any free agents and double down on defense and OL in the draft. Let the Falcons and Eagles rot with those ungodly contracts unless they want to do the right deal with us. It becomes a game of playing chicken.

What we fans think Wentz will cost will end up being considerably different than what GMs think for a 29 year old QB. Not enough time would have transpired for Ballard or other GMs to make a point the Rams trade is an outlier. The most I think the Eagles would do is:

Colts give up: 2021 1st rounder, 2022 1st for Wentz and his contract (assuming both 1st rounders will be in the 20s)

Colts get: Eagles 2nd rounder in 2021 and 3rd rounder in 2022 (these picks are for us taking on his contract)

Just now, poilucelt said:

we're giving up #21, gaining #6, but also losing #3 in 2021 and #1 in 2022? is that correct? sounds like losing draft capital to me

guess I'm not understanding the proposed trade (probably not enough coffee this morning, or maybe too much IPA last night)

You have to look at it in terms of value. 

We are trading pick 21 and pick 86 (our 3rd) to move up to pick 6.  Essentially, just giving up pick 86 to move up 15 slots in the first round.  That's unheard of.  To move up that many slots in round 1 would typically take more capital, like next years first.

So the capital value is the same.  Pick 6 =  21, 86, and next years first.  Both sides of the equation are about equal value.   

Then we'd be getting Wentz and a terrible contract Philly wants to get out of.  

It was just some guy on twitter.  Not a real offer anyway.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, the Rams trade has pretty much shot those possibilities out of the window for a Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz, IMO. 

I still think we have to let the dust settle through free agency, give ourselves enough room for a cap space of about $25 mil. left after signing any free agents and double down on defense and OL in the draft. Let the Falcons and Eagles rot with those ungodly contracts unless they want to do the right deal with us. It becomes a game of playing chicken.

What we fans think Wentz will cost will end up being considerably different than what GMs think for a 29 year old QB. Not enough time would have transpired for Ballard or other GMs to make a point the Rams trade is an outlier.

What FA worth his salt is going to want to come here not knowing who are QB is?  I think that's why we signed Rivers the 1st day.  Not to mention knowing who it is and exactly how much he will count against the Cap makes the GM's job a lot easier.  Get your target as quick as you can if you ask me.  The research on a veteran QB should be over by now. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

We are trading pick 21 and pick 86 (our 3rd) to move up to pick 6.  Essentially, just giving up pick 86 to move up 15 slots in the first round.  That's unheard of.  To move up that many slots in round 1 would typically take more capital, like next years first.

So the capital value is the same.  Pick 6 =  21, 86, and next years first.  Both sides of the equation are about equal value.   

It is a great offer for the Colts, IMO. People see things with blue colored glasses and want to make it seem like the Colts should be the only ones benefiting in a trade, a good trade is one where both parties are not completely happy, that is a good negotiation, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What FA worth his salt is going to want to come here not knowing who are QB is?  I think that's why we signed Rivers the 1st day.  Not to mention knowing who it is and exactly how much he will count against the Cap makes the GM's job a lot easier.  Get your target as quick as you can if you ask me.  The research on a veteran QB should be over by now. 

Defensive free agents and OL guys would not mind joining a good defense and good OL to make it great.

WR depth is great in this draft, that is what I would like us to focus on, OL and defense unless WR value is great.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What FA want to come to Indy period? I just don’t think it’s a FA hot spot 

****Mod Note****

Quite a few post were removed from this thread this morning.

The parties responsible I'm sure are well aware of who they are.

Back and Forth arguments and personal shots are not allowed. If you have an issue with a certain poster take it to a personal message and leave it out of the forum. It derails the thread and then gets additional posters piling on.

If you find yourself in a back and forth with someone or someone takes a shot at you, report it and move on. Responding only makes it worse and escalates this situation which risk warnings and maybe potential temporary bans. So at the end of the day, being involved in such acts only puts your forum privileges at risk.

Try and think about who might be reading your post, there are kids floating around. If you are posting something you wouldn't want your kids to read, rethink it.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Defensive free agents and OL guys would not mind joining a good defense and good OL to make it great.

WR depth is great in this draft, that is what I would like us to focus on, OL and defense unless WR value is great.

I think they would if they new they had a chance to make the playoffs and win a SB.  But with Eason as the only QB on the roster and a rookie QB as the next apparent possibility the probability of either playoffs or a SB appearance happening is slim to none.    

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This point right here is why we need a QB like Watson. That would attract FA's. 

I agree 100%!

I don't want Ballard to be ridiculous and just sell the organization but def think about giving more than you would under other circumstances 

I even worry about our own FA wanting to come back. Luckily for us we should be able to get this figured out before we have to get the most important ones signed. I am thinking Leonard, Smith, and Nelson. But will AQM or Autry want to come back with only Eason. I hope this gets figured out by FA. We really will telegraph ourselves if we go into the draft with just Eason.

Something I have been thinking. Could Ballard have been using a smokescreen saying Eason isn’t ready. Could Eason actually be in the plans. Not sure though what would be the purpose of that kind of smokescreen though.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they would if they new they had a chance to make the playoffs and win a SB.  But with Eason as the only QB on the roster and a rookie QB as the next apparent possibility the probability of either playoffs or a SB appearance happening is slim to none.    

Maybe, maybe not if the $$$ is right. However, chances are great that they would use the Colts for is a bidding war, and Ballard doesn't like to be involved in a bidding war. Like that OL guy Jensen we were interested in, we know why he chose the Bucs. Should not have let go of Joe Haeg who also ended up with the Bucs. I guess that leaves us like the Seahawks before RW, Bills before Josh Allen, Browns before Baker Mayfield, draft and keep as many key pieces of talent together till the right QB comes along.

Just take Luck to Wakanda, give him a bionic shoulder and arm, and bring him back to play QB, I guess. :) 

What I'm not getting here is why Darnold and Ryan and garrapolo keep coming up?

They are each under contract and until that team REALLY solidifies a want/desire to move on these names shouldn't really be discussed except in a shocking development and even then you wouldn't know about any of these until right up to the draft if not on draft night, especially where Darnold is concerned.

49ers are not going to move Garrapolo at this point unless it's for Watson which I believe has legs. Then Garrapolo would be traded for a third as a dump to NE.

I really don't see Watson going to Jets regardless of what you hear about where he wants to go. I think Darnold stays put in NY or heads to Washington on draft night. Skins will throw a lot more at the Jets than would the Colts in a minute. 

Ryan stays put as well and the Falcons draft his successor this year or at least drafts a QB with hopes of being a successor. 

If Garrapolo doesn't go to NE, I can see Dalton there or in Chicago....

In any of these scenarios the Colts are out to dry. 

Oh and the Wentz thing is stupid. For those saying that the Colts give up a 1st and another 1st next year or a 1st and a second you all again are not paying attention.

If Eagles want to get rid of Wentz to the Colts, which I don't see happening either, we won't give up anywhere near a 1st as it would be a contract dump from the Eagles so they would get less for us to take that contract/player.... 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

They are each under contract and until that team REALLY solidifies a want/desire to move on these names shouldn't really be discussed except in a shocking development and even then you wouldn't know about any of these until right up to the draft if not on draft night, especially where Darnold is concerned.

49ers are not going to move Garrapolo at this point unless it's for Watson which I believe has legs. Then Garrapolo would be traded for a third as a dump to NE.

I really don't see Watson going to Jets regardless of what you hear about where he wants to go. I think Darnold stays put in NY or heads to Washington on draft night. Skins will throw a lot more at the Jets than would the Colts in a minute. 

Ryan stays put as well and the Falcons draft his successor this year or at least drafts a QB with hopes of being a successor. 

Oh and the Wentz thing is stupid. For those saying that the Colts give up a 1st and another 1st next year or a 1st and a second you all again are not paying attention.

If Eagles want to get rid of Wentz to the Colts, which I don't see happening either, we won't give up anywhere near a 1st as it would be a contract dump from the Eagles so they would get less for us to take that contract/player.... 

Only true free agent is Trubisky that we would not be involved in any kind of trade. 

Darnold - call the Jets bluff, no one is lining up at the Jets' front door for him. Jets would be stupid not to draft a QB with such good draft positioning. So, let them make their QB pick, and just like the Josh Rosen trade where the Dolphins gave up a 2nd rounder to Cardinals that had just drafted Murray, use that example to get Sam Darnold for a 2nd rounder. Let Darnold and Eason compete.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

There's no way Colts give up that much for Wentz.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

At this point they are the only guys that can be talked about

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Unless they gave us something with Wentz i wouldn't do 2 either

Well yeah, but it's still going to be a QB value at a younger guy who was a first round pick. But I feel you. I don't think Wentz becomes available though anyway, so moot point really

Just now, Indeee said:

Well yeah, but it's still going to be a QB value at a younger guy who was a first round pick. But I feel you. I don't think Wentz becomes available though anyway, so moot point really

He might Eagles QB coach is apparently very familiar with Hurts known him most of his life

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

What we fans think Wentz will cost will end up being considerably different than what GMs think for a 29 year old QB. Not enough time would have transpired for Ballard or other GMs to make a point the Rams trade is an outlier. The most I think the Eagles would do is:

Colts give up: 2021 1st rounder, 2022 1st for Wentz and his contract (assuming both 1st rounders will be in the 20s)

Colts get: Eagles 2nd rounder in 2021 and 3rd rounder in 2022 (these picks are for us taking on his contract)

still reluctant to give up 2 #1's for Wentz but this I might be able to get on board with, if only because 1) their 2nd rounder is still, what, 38th or 39th overall? and 2) there's a decent chance their 3rd rounder in 2022 will still be in the early #70's

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

He might Eagles QB coach is apparently very familiar with Hurts known him most of his life

Hell at this point why not call the Lions and inquire about Goff trade, however in order for us to take his contract we get the Rams 1st next year... :funny:

We send Lions our 2021 3rd for Goff and the rams 2021 1st

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

that kinda works if next year's 1st is late 20's to 32, but what if it's somewhere around #12-#15 or, God forbid, even higher? then IMO that's just too much for the current version of Wentz

no point in drafting someone to start this year unless the colts are trading up into the top ten . so many teams with QB needs in the top ten by the time the colts pick 5 or 6 QBs could be gone , if the colts do get a QB he would need to sit anyway .  colts already have a QB with elite talent who is just raw from only starting two years in college , if eason stayed another year and entered the draft this year he is a first round pick . eason sat a year worked on his mental game and stayed late working on his footwork lets see what he has no other QB available is worth anything unless the colts wanna trade for matt ryan which i doubt .   roll with eason it is no doubt about it

This makes it sound like the Colts didn't even inquire....:thinking:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos, Panthers, Bears, 49ers and Patriots all "inquired" about new Rams QB Matthew Stafford before his trade from the Lions. 

Per Rapsheet, the Broncos, Panthers and Bears all offered "more than a first-rounder." It is just the latest indication that it's going to be a wild west offseason for quarterbacks. Stafford's deal was complex because it required the Lions taking on Jared Goff's bad contract, but if Stafford is drawing this kind of interest and trade compensation, one can only imagine what Deshaun Watson might fetch.

33 minutes ago, Indeee said:

This makes it sound like the Colts didn't even inquire....:thinking:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos, Panthers, Bears, 49ers and Patriots all "inquired" about new Rams QB Matthew Stafford before his trade from the Lions. 

Per Rapsheet, the Broncos, Panthers and Bears all offered "more than a first-rounder." It is just the latest indication that it's going to be a wild west offseason for quarterbacks. Stafford's deal was complex because it required the Lions taking on Jared Goff's bad contract, but if Stafford is drawing this kind of interest and trade compensation, one can only imagine what Deshaun Watson might fetch.

HMM. Maybe colts didn’t try and get him and they are secretly working on someone else.

50 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, how often do you see 4 team trades with only 3 teams involved. 

:)

Lol 49ers too

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

HMM. Maybe colts didn’t try and get him and they are secretly working on someone else.

I'm sure Ballard called and Lions said they want 2 1st and Ballard was like

No Way Smile GIF by Get Out Movie

Archived