Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman's breakout game (MERGE)

CR91

I'm a Pittman fan and I think he can be even better.  He is tough, and has very good football speed.  He may not have run a 4.3 or 4.4 forty but on field, he plays fast.  I think he can be a dangerous deep threat as well.  A few times against Baltimore the announcer mentioned Pittman has single coverage but the ball was not thrown to him.  The first deep pass to him against Baltimore has the safety there for double coverage.  The other long pass was overthrown.  I think if Rivers throws the deep pass to Pittman with a little more arch, he knows to catch it at its high point, using his 6-4 Ht.

I was glad see him come back in after the hard groin hit to catch a 7 yard pass and go over a 100 yards.  He should be a target in the red zone as well.  The Colts has 10 days to recover and be ready for Green Bay.  Like his father, Pittman is a good runner with the football for YAC or end arounds.  

Just now, IinD said:

He's got that 'glide' that some guys have. If he gets a little space he's off to the races.

Nice to see he's capable of it.

Very smooth.  I think TY had a nice effect on the routes.  He would have helped last week.  Pittman looked elusive too for his size.

Pittman looked excellent tonight. Definitely his breakout game. I'm glad Rivers is starting to focus on him more. Over 100 passing yards and a 21 yard run as well. He is going to be a good one. It was amazing how wide open he was the entire game. Seemed no one could cover him at all. I love it! Go Pittman!

Just now, Nickster said:

Very smooth.  I think TY had a nice effect on the routes.  He would have helped last week.  Pittman looked elusive too for his size.

We haven't had an actual big WR that was good in forever. Was definitely encouraging to see. 

He's definitely not one of those big slug type WR's that are usually his size.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Getting him and Taylor going are the key to unlocking the offense’s true potential. He kills on those crossing routes

When Frank decides to let Taylor get in a groove (run more, not over rotate), and not run predominantly up the gut most of the time, JT will have more success. And people will act like wow, where was that guy.... 

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

We haven't had an actual big WR that was good in forever. Was definitely encouraging to see. 

He's definitely not one of those big slug type WR's that are usually his size.

Yep. The difference between Pittman and Pascal at X was pretty evident tonight. I love Pascal, but his ceiling is simply more limited. 

Like I said, he just needs time, a variety of routes, and consistent reps to give him experience and confidence. If Frank would do the same to Taylor, he too would have more success. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

When Frank decides to let Taylor get in a groove (run more, not over rotate), and not run predominantly up the gut most of the time, JT will have more success. And people will act like wow, where was that guy.... 

This.  JT will start to dominate and people will be surprised.  I'd say play-calling is part of the problem.

But, since this is a Pittman thread, nice game rook!  Welcome to the NFL.  Now go get them tudders.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

This.  JT will start to dominate and people will be surprised.  I'd say play-calling is part of the problem.

But, since this is a Pittman thread, nice game rook!  Welcome to the NFL.  Now go get them tudders.

One last thing on JT... when you have a moment, look at the play-by-play breakout on ESPN and pay particular attention to time, down and distance, where the run went, etc... I may do a right up on comparing all the RBs later this week since we don't have a game Sunday.

Pittman, if now 100% back and healthy, should be a mainstay now. Most targeted pass catcher tonight. I hope Frank doesn't forget about him like he did MAC.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

MAC

Mo looks gimpy as heck. Had that huge brace on tonight, not sure if he's always had that.

He doesn't look like the same guy right now so I'm wondering if that's why he's kind of fallen off.

Side note....he looks like he's going to get his legs taken off every tackle. Freaks me out every time he catches it.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

One last thing on JT... when you have a moment, look at the play-by-play breakout on ESPN and pay particular attention to time, down and distance, where the run went, etc... I may do a right up on comparing all the RBs later this week since we don't have a game Sunday.

Pittman, if now 100% back and healthy, should be a mainstay now. Most targeted pass catcher tonight. I hope Frank doesn't forget about him like he did MAC.

Don't remember when in the game, but JT had a small little groove going for a couple plays and Frank pulled him. Don't remember the exact situation, but I remember thinking 'leave em in'. Frank is definitely obsessive about the RB rotation.

And I am with you 100% on JT just getting the ball in situations that aren't favorable for him. Totally stacked box and everyone bunched in tight... Let's go up the gut.. Stop Frank. 

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

....or Nyhiem, who wasn't mysteriously absent vs. the Ravens. 

I haven't broken anything down as far as the running plays, but it just appears to my eyes two things are happening: 1) JT is clearly missing some holes or windows where more yardage could be had when he breaks past the LOS, and 2) the problem is he has few chances to get past the LOS because for some reason it seems like there's always a defender either there to meet him or a TE or OL is getting pushed back into the hole he's supposed to run through.  I don't know if we're telegraphing the runs, if they're just too predictable (they are), or what.  But it just seems many of the times he's running JT has nowhere to go.  Then Wilkins or Hines will comes in and it's like there's a nice hole to run through.  Are teams just more afraid of letting JT get into space or are they just stacking the box when he's in the backfield?  Perhaps we should try a few plays where he and one of the others are both back there so the defense can't just key in on one guy?  IDK.  Let me know when you break it all down, I'd be interested to read what you find and if my suspicions are correct.

EDIT:  should say Nyhiem WAS mysteriously absent

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Got his first 100 yard game with 122 yards total. Kid shined today when we really needed someone to step up.

quickly becoming one of my fav players.

Hines, Moore, Pittman, and of course T.Y .

Some of my favorites. Hard not to like the Colts players with such high character. 

15 minutes ago, IinD said:

Mo looks gimpy as heck. Had that huge brace on tonight, not sure if he's always had that.

He doesn't look like the same guy right now so I'm wondering if that's why he's kind of fallen off.

Side note....he looks like he's going to get his legs taken off every tackle. Freaks me out every time he catches it.

He’s been banged up and on the injury report the last couple of weeks and pretty close to not playing based on reports.  I believe he’s got a knee issue going on.

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I haven't broken anything down as far as the running plays, but it just appears to my eyes two things are happening: 1) JT is clearly missing some holes or windows where more yardage could be had when he breaks past the LOS, and 2) the problem is he has few chances to get past the LOS because for some reason it seems like there's always a defender either there to meet him or a TE or OL is getting pushed back into the hole he's supposed to run through.  I don't know if we're telegraphing the runs, if they're just too predictable (they are), or what.  But it just seems many of the times he's running JT has nowhere to go.  Then Wilkins or Hines will comes in and it's like there's a nice hole to run through.  Are teams just more afraid of letting JT get into space or are they just stacking the box when he's in the backfield?  Perhaps we should try a few plays where he and one of the others are both back there so the defense can't just key in on one guy?  IDK.  Let me know when you break it all down, I'd be interested to read what you find and if my suspicions are correct.

EDIT:  should say Nyhiem WAS mysteriously absent

Not to make excuses for JT, but you're definitely correct that he's had defenders draped on him in the backfield or had his own teammates thrown back right into his face several times this year. 

Can't fully blame him. Kid is tough as we saw on that play where he assaulted a defender when he put his shoulder down.

Without killing him, Frank's gotta let this kid shine soon. Like a nice 20 carry game to see what he's got. I'm not talking every week, just something to get him some more confidence and just to see what we really have honestly.

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Doesn't someone have to whine about DK Metcalf in any thread about WR by the tenth post?  I'm confused here lol.....Love Pitt finally looking healthy and breaking out a little

That’s only if your talking about Campbell.  Your supposed to whine about Claypool when taking about Pittman.

6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Doesn't someone have to whine about DK Metcalf in any thread about WR by the tenth post?  I'm confused here lol.....Love Pitt finally looking healthy and breaking out a little

I love those posts as well..umm a lot of teams passed on him.. Lol

9 minutes ago, IinD said:

Mo was questionable this week with the knee (and since week 6). I don't believe he was wearing the brace last week. He took that early hit last Sunday, and I think that aggravated things. He probably wouldn't have played this week if Doyle was healthy IMO. When I say forgotten about, I'm talking about the 3 games after game two vs MN. He completely balled out on sail routes and others, and was downplayed the next week when Doyle was out (I can understand that a little given we blew them out), and the following two weeks in favor of Burton.... 

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Don't remember when in the game, but JT had a small little groove going for a couple plays and Frank pulled him. Don't remember the exact situation, but I remember thinking 'leave em in'. Frank is definitely obsessive about the RB rotation.

And I am with you 100% on JT just getting the ball in situations that aren't favorable for him. Totally stacked box and everyone bunched in tight... Let's go up the gut.. Stop Frank. 

He's obsessive with both RB and WR/TE rotation. Frustrating as hell. Coming into the league, JT was hyped as a body blow guy, not a rotational RB for committee. I'd love to see them stick with him through full series. Take him out if needed on 3rd and long for Hines in the passing game, but even then, that's not really needed either. JT has proven as good catching the ball as Hines.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I'll give you the high point. 4 of JT's 7 runs were up the middle in obvious short yardage run situations (late downs or goal line). 3 of those 4 the OL was blown up. All 4 the D was selling out for the run.

I'm off to the pillow. I'll try to do a breakdown tomorrow evening. 

Go Colts. Great win.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s only if your talking about Campbell.  Your supposed to whine about Claypool when taking about Pittman.

That's right @Shafty138, get with the program! Metcalf>Campbell, Claypool>Pittman! haha 

I'm glad Pittman is looking comfortable with the offense. He may be a good one. Lets hope the same for Campbell when he returns!

Archived