Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Julian Blackmon

danlhart87

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ProblChld32 said:

Yea but this kid is a FS , Geathers was more of Box Strong Safety. 

He is not, he best fits as a SS, but has good ball skills to stay on in sub packages. He’s a superb tackler, and needs development in coverage as a safety

Julian who?

I'm not feeling excited about this draft at this point. I like Pittman, but so far the Taylor and Blackmon picks will have me just hanging up my standard 'Ballard knows better than I do' wall poster (right beneath my old Bo Derek swimsuit poster). 

Just now, WarGhost21 said:

He is not, he best fits as a SS, but has good ball skills to stay on in sub packages. He’s a superb tackler, and needs development in coverage as a safety

9 picks after his move to FS does not sound like he needs much development in zone coverage.

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

They said on television he played two years at corner and then moved to free safety.

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Yea but this kid is a FS , Geathers was more of Box Strong Safety. 

Yes if he played SS it would be due to injury but he’s a body that could all be it not ideal.  When I said could be a future starter I was thinking he could be the replacement for Hooker if the Colts don’t keep him.

Don’t know much about him but I feel screwed by the draft gods twice in a row now. I was wanting Baun at 75 and he goes at 74. Trade down ten spots and I wanted Lewis and he goes right before us. No idea if Ballard was looking at either but my hopes were ruined. 

I wonder if Blackmon signals a stronger push to move Hooker. I think we played a good amount of three safety sets so it’s not like he’s just for depth. 

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

9 picks after his move to FS does not sound like he needs much development in zone coverage.

Just now, Orioles22 said:

They said on television he played two years at corner and then moved to free safety.

In watching his tape, it looks to me like he’s best suited as a SS. Doesn’t matter where he played before, but where he translates to the league

1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

Don’t know much about him but I feel screwed by the draft gods twice in a row now. I was wanting Baun at 75 and he goes at 74. Trade down ten spots and I wanted Lewis and he goes right before us. No idea if Ballard was looking at either but my hopes were ruined. 

I wonder if Blackmon signals a stronger push to move Hooker. I think we played a good amount of three safety sets so it’s not like he’s just for depth. 

He’s coming off a torn ACL late in the season so I doubt this kid plays this year.  However, he could be Hooker’s replacement if the Colts elect to let him walk.

6 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

In watching his tape, it looks to me like he’s best suited as a SS. Doesn’t matter where he played before, but where he translates to the league

What YOU see on tape and what the scouts and coaches see are two completely different things. It doesn’t remotely make sense that he would play SS. For one Willis has already solidified himself as the starting SS moving forward. Secondly we all know that this is Hookers final contract year and we don’t know that the organization will pick up his 5th year option so drafting his successor sounds like a smart plan doesn’t it? 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Makes me wonder if we might move Hooker for a player.  We were receiving offers.  Maybe soon.  I still think the Hooker for Howard trade makes sense. 

Draft Taylor... let’s move Mack!

Draft Blackmon... let’s move Hooker!

No, this is called quality depth who can develop and take over in the future.

2 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

So is this guy out this year with the injury?  If so wth is the point in drafting him and having to wait a year for him to play with so much talent left on the board?? Who knows if he even recovers properly.

Polian did this with Bob Sanders and it worked out pretty well.

4 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

What YOU see on tape and what the scouts and coaches see are two completely different things. It doesn’t remotely make sense that he would play SS. For one Willis has already solidified himself as the starting SS moving forward. Secondly we all know that this is Hookers final contract year and we don’t know that the organization will pick up his 5th year option so drafting his successor sounds like a smart plan doesn’t it? 

That doesn’t change the fact that I see a SS. Maybe he does replace Hooker. Maybe not. I see a SS, you see a FS, and neither of us know what the Colts FO sees!

3 minutes ago, James said:

Draft Taylor... let’s move Mack!

Draft Blackmon... let’s move Hooker!

No, this is called quality depth who can develop and take over in the future.

You think they drafted Taylor in the second round so he can back up Mack? They already have depth at running back.

Just now, VaAllDay757 said:

Willis is taking geathers spot

Willis took the starting job last year, not what I meant.  I meant as a backup.  Geathers was the primary back up last year at safety.  That was also before I knew this kid was hurt.  With his injury and read more about him he’s development guy who I think the Colts are eyeing to replace Hooker one day.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Willis took the starting job last year, not what I meant.  I meant as a backup.  Geathers was the primary back up last year at safety.  That was also before I knew this kid was hurt.  With his injury and read more about him he’s development guy who I think the Colts are eyeing to replace Hooker one day.

If hooker stays healthy this is just a depth guy he's a 3rd round pick for a reason some people are overreacting on this one

Archived