Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Julian Blackmon

danlhart87

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

But you aren't supposed to count his best games :) I thought he was better than Mack at times.

You dismiss out layers.  In his case one good game and two long carries are out layers compared to everything else he’s done over his career.  If it was the reverse of that I’d say dismiss the bad game and two studs as out layers.  

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah Mack will be here. Bro ran for 1k last year. I cant see them showing Mack the door and keeping Wilkins

It's not always about who is better - you have salary cap issues and what you might get in a trade to help at other positions.

43 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Don’t know much about him but I feel screwed by the draft gods twice in a row now. I was wanting Baun at 75 and he goes at 74. Trade down ten spots and I wanted Lewis and he goes right before us. No idea if Ballard was looking at either but my hopes were ruined. 

I wonder if Blackmon signals a stronger push to move Hooker. I think we played a good amount of three safety sets so it’s not like he’s just for depth. 

Well, Ballard is finally getting the roster filled-out with more depth.  As with Taylor, this could be the guy to replace Hooker as we will have choices to make in the next few years as “Ballards guys” he drafted reach the end of their 1st contracts.  You need the replacements in the pipeline and developed when needed.  
  I dont know how rhe picks pan out, but You can clearly see Ballard always has a calculated plan.  The moves he makes, whether you agree or not, still tend to be logical in the Big picture.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He has 643 yards in his career, 108 of them came on two carries so about 1/6 of them.  Take those away his average drops to 4.9 yards per carry.  He’s also started four games over the past two years and average 21 yards per game per start.  He had a good game vs Carolina last year where he had 84 yards.  Take that one game out with two long runs your talking about a guy who has 451 yards over two years as the primary back up running back.  That’s ok at best and can be upgraded.  Judging by tonight I am not the only one who seems to be thinking that either as Ballard moved up to get Taylor. 

Complaining about 4.9 yards per carry.   Dear God....

You spent all that time to prove something and what did you prove?   

Again....  this isn’t a choice between Jonathan Taylor or Jordan Wilkins.   No one is making that argument.  Everyone would take Taylor all day, every day. 

Supporters of Wilkins are only saying he’s an above average backup, nothing more.   What’s hard about that?   4.9 yards a carry (when you take out his best runs) is nothing to apologize for.   

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

At 190 pounds and lots of athleticism,  I don’t know why you see a strong safety.    I see a future free safety.  

Looking forward to hearing what Ballard says tonight after Day 2.

I don’t like him at FS because he doesn’t have the 1 deep ability. He’s a split deep safety at best, he doesn’t have the instincts to cover the entire back end. His best fit is more as a middle of the field safety, where he can make plays in the run game and cover TE’s and WR’s crossing the middle

14 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

It's not always about who is better - you have salary cap issues and what you might get in a trade to help at other positions.

The Colts are fine with the cap.  Also trading a guy who is in the last year of a fifth round pick rookie salary isn’t going to help you much with the cap.  

Listen to what Ballard is saying he keeps talking about how you win with good lines on football.  The way you do that on offense is ball control with running the ball.  Reich has said that since day one.  He wants to be a running team.  Mack and Taylor can be a lethal one two punch.  That’s what they want.  They don’t want a guy who is an okay or even good for a back up as the number two running back.  They want two guys who can be starters and one who could be special.  That’s the identity they want on offense.  

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

I don’t like him at FS because he doesn’t have the 1 deep ability. He’s a split deep safety at best, he doesn’t have the instincts to cover the entire back end. His best fit is more as a middle of the field safety, where he can make plays in the run game and cover TE’s and WR’s crossing the middle

He’s played safety one season.  He’s a former corner.   Whatever he is today, he should get better.   Most college players get better in the NFL.  I’d expect that from Blackmon.  He has 9 career interceptions.   Isn’t that a sign of a future free safety?   It is for me. 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He also had several games last year where he did not play well I remember more than once him taking a very bad angle that lead to him getting beat bad.

You easily expect a third round safety to develop into a starter.  Bethea was a sixth rounder, Willis was a fourth rounder, Geathers was a fourth rounder.  Three of the Colts major starters at safety since 2006 were drafted AFTER where Blackmon was taken.

I'll be honest and admit I didn't watch a single Utah game. I am reading he had a terrible game vs USC but that he got much better after that. I'm giving him a bit of  leeway as it was only his 3rd game as a FS . The first 2 games he was probably not tested much as they were against very weak competition. No doubt some are going to be saying this is a reach as all the draft pendants have him around a late 4th or early 5th. This is one where you can trust Ballard or curse him I guess.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Complaining about 4.9 yards per carry.   Dear God....

You spent all that time to prove something and what did you prove?   

Again....  this isn’t a choice between Jonathan Taylor or Jordan Wilkins.   No one is making that argument.  Everyone would take Taylor all day, every day. 

Supporters of Wilkins are only saying he’s an above average backup, nothing more.   What’s hard about that?   4.9 yards a carry (when you take out his best runs) is nothing to apologize for.   

I proved his numbers have been inflated because he’s had so few carries.  He’s not that special.  If you look at the other numbers I posted they back that up.  when the Colts gave him a chance to show he could do the job he didn’t do it that’s why he’s gotten so few carries.  

Also yeah it kinda is about Taylor vs Wilkins because people keep saying they didn’t need Taylor because they had good backups in Wilkins and Hines.  Well the Hines argument goes out the window when you factor in he gives you next to nothing in the run game so that leaves Wilkins, who is also the most likely going to go of the three current backs (if any of them go) to make room Taylor.

i can also spin this around and go my god people are losing their minds that the Colts drafted maybe the best running back in the draft and who could maybe be special when their starter has injury concerns and is going into the last year of his contract because they have a good back up that has 111 carries over two years for 643 yards and 192 of those came in one game and two other carries.

lets set aside how we feel about Wilkins for a moment.  The NFL draft is about getting better.  The Colts are better at running back tonight with the addition of Taylor.  When you are a team that is building to be a ball control team that wins games with the line that’s a very good thing.

4 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

We have no salary cap issues and i seriously doubt Ballard is throwing a rookie out there to block for his 39 year old QB.   Mack ran for 1k last year and hes most certainly the best blocking back on this team. I dont see a plausible reason this year to trade Mack.  Yes weve got the fullback but its been rare for us no matter who the coaching staff has been to keep a fullback every game. We usually cut the fullback or if we have kept one that same guy can play TE also. It remains to be seen but i have strong doubts Mack goes anywhere for at least this season.

Just now, tweezy32 said:

Haha exactly my thoughts! He just needed to get the able more and show how truly good he was!

They gave him four starts.  He averaged 21 yards a game in those starts.  They have given him a shot.  When you subtract the out layers his numbers aren’t that good.  

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s played safety one season.  He’s a former corner.   Whatever he is today, he should get better.   Most college players get better in the NFL.  I’d expect that from Blackmon.  He has 9 career interceptions.   Isn’t that a sign of a future free safety?   It is for me. 

Don’t get me wrong, I do like Blackmon and think he will succeed in any role. 

However, this league is turning into a positionless game. Blackmon is that. I think he best fits as a SS that can make box plays, but he also can work as a nickel corner and a free safety. Interceptions mean nothing for positional locks in this day and age. You can have linebackers getting high interception numbers, SS’s can get more than FS’s. It doesn’t matter where you play if you can make plays. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

We have no salary cap issues and i seriously doubt Ballard is throwing a rookie out there to block for his 39 year old QB. 

I have watched fans rate and analyze RB's based on yards ground/air for over 3 decades...when in fact, the RB's ability to understand and execute protections is the main reason they get opportunities. 

46 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Just gonna say this, every year Ballard has been here, there’s been a seduction or three that make fans stunned, upset and critical. The success rate is fairly decent for those picks. 

Seduction or three? For sho.

I totally see the need for Taylor. Heck there was a period last season i think during training camp and preseason where Mack , Specer Ware and Wilkins were dinged up. We didnt have any backs other than Jon Williams and somebody else. Ballard is ensuring as best he can not to have to revisit that. Im sure hes also giving himself some leverage in the Mack negotiations also amongst other things.

The injury is why I don’t like it. 

Conspiracy theory...maybe Ballard knows there won’t be a 2020 season but players will still accrue service time...which means both Mack and Hooker will need new contracts before they actually play again. 

In that scenario...doesn’t matter that Blackmon can’t play next year...and he gets an entire season to recover.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I totally see the need for Taylor. Heck there was a period last season i think during training camp and preseason where Mack , Specer Ware and Wilkins were dinged up. We didnt have any backs other than Jon Williams and somebody else. Ballard is ensuring as best he can not to have to revisit that. Im sure hes also giving himself some leverage in the Mack negotiations also amongst other things.

I'm with you. Taylor  looks like a beast. Have no reason to complain  unless he becomes another  trent Richardson 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They gave him four starts.  He averaged 21 yards a game in those starts.  They have given him a shot.  When you subtract the out layers his numbers aren’t that good.  

2 games of his career he only got the ball more then 10x.. he still averages 5.8 yards. It’s not skewed. There’s games he had 7 attempts only and was having a 6-7 yards per attempt and they stopped feeding him. He produced. 

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm with you. Taylor  looks like a beast. Have no reason to complain  unless he becomes another  trent Richardson 

Yeah we still need assurance that hes ready to contribute given how many backs from Wisconsin that dont pan out. We will see.

11 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

2 games of his career he only got the ball more then 10x.. he still averages 5.8 yards. It’s not skewed. There’s games he had 7 attempts only and was having a 6-7 yards per attempt and they stopped feeding him. He produced. 

Do you ever stop to ask why they stop giving him the ball?  I promise you it’s not because Reich forgot he was on the team.  He’s a one trick pony a power back that hits the hole.  Teams know what’s coming and it’s easy to gear up for.  That’s why when he got a chance to start he only got 21 yards a game because he wasn’t effective to keep the drives going running the ball.  There is a reason most of his yards have come after Mack has worn down the other team.  The Panthers game he got most of his yards after They took Mack out and his long runs came at the end of games when the other teams defense has been worn down.  Don’t get me wrong that’s nice to have but it’s not something you pass on a Jonathan Taylor for.  

I do think Wilkins has a role in this offense as a short yardage guy which is what he was originally drafted for.  I don’t think he’s a very good number two back.  Just like Hines has a place on this team and is frankly one of my favorite players but I don’t think is number two back.  Taylor and Mack can be a special back field and if they have to give up Wilkins for that then fine.  That’s my point here you don’t pass on a guy like Taylor because you have Wilkins.  Wilkins is nice to have but he can be upgraded.

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

If you have a bunch of RBs dinged up, who says injury doesn't hit you main guys. Williams did 100 x 2 when needed. Our OL will let RBs do that. 

Not sure why we're talking about RB in a S thread though when we have several Taylor threads lol

2 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Everything i've read about Blackmon says he's got talents to develop. Hope so. Whatever you do, don't watch his tape against USC, he got roasted.

(Good tape of Pittman tho :D)

I don't get the Blackmon pick this early. Clearly a good guy, but clearly a project, and a project after a position switch. Hope it works out... But if it does, it's likely at SS.

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He also had several games last year where he did not play well I remember more than once him taking a very bad angle that lead to him getting beat bad.

You easily expect a third round safety to develop into a starter.  Bethea was a sixth rounder, Willis was a fourth rounder, Geathers was a fourth rounder.  Three of the Colts major starters at safety since 2006 were drafted AFTER where Blackmon was taken.

Maybe But if he didn't get hurt he goes 2nd round hands down so to get him late 3rd I would say pretty good value.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you have a bunch of RBs dinged up, who says injury doesn't hit you main guys. Williams did 100 x 2 when needed. Our OL will let RBs do that. 

Not sure why we're talking about RB in a S thread though when we have several Taylor threads lol

Because  people are  that mad we drafted one. I mean an average  back  can get 100 yards behind a good oline, but an elite  back can get 200 plus

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't get the Blackmon pick this early. Clearly a good guy, but clearly a project, and a project after a position switch. Hope it works out... But if it does, it's likely at SS.

He’s another guy the Colts must have just liked not unlike Leonard (again not saying he will be as good) I saw on twitter where Blackmon told the local media the Colts told him don’t be surprised if we take you higher than a lot of people think.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah we still need assurance that hes ready to contribute given how many backs from Wisconsin that dont pan out. We will see.

I doubt he becomes Richardson because for one thing Richardson was never ever fast Taylor is explosive and has a ton of speed and powers through people trying to tackle him my translation to what im saying here he is a far better player than T-Rich ever was. Also im sure there was some running backs from there that were busts but the last running back I remember coming out from there is Gordon and when healthy he is very good also New England's James White and he is also very good so im not concerned because Taylor not only has more upside than both of them but is a better player than them in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It can but im talking more about the quality of our depth. Its a little bit better if we take some hits. I see what youre saying though about the line.

Louis Riddick was just on SportsCenter saying that with including the Buckner trade, the Colts have impressed him the most.  Really positive comments about Pittman, said Taylor is one of his favorite players in the entire draft, and said Blackmon is tremendous free safety and can play nickel and dime lb.

Loved hearing those comments

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Because  people are  that mad we drafted one. I mean an average  back  can get 100 yards behind a good oline, but an elite  back can get 200 plus

I think Taylor is a better runner than Mack, I just don't think he's "well rounded". And the high mileage likely won't be his friend. Hope he balls and becomes the next RB stud. 

I hope folks don't expect to us forget about passing after spending that much on Rivers and using two early draft picks the last two years. Some of the RB-heads might be surprised.

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s another guy the Colts must have just liked not unlike Leonard (again not saying he will be as good) I saw on twitter where Blackmon told the local media the Colts told him don’t be surprised if we take you higher than a lot of people think.

Don't compare to Leonard. Not a football field close...

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I think Taylor is a better runner than Mack, I just don't think he's "well rounded". And the high mileage likely won't be his friend. Hope he balls and becomes the next RB stud. 

I hope folks don't expect to us forget about passing after spending that much on Rivers and using two early draft picks the last two years. Some of the RB-heads might be surprised.

I agree. He is faster and runs with more power than mack.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

It can but im talking more about the quality of our depth. Its a little bit better if we take some hits. I see what youre saying though about the line.

Let's say Mack is average. Our running game was top 10ish with an average guy and bad depth???. And that was with Ds keying more on the run because JB was weak. It's why Williams looked like a stud RB when he ran... It's why Wilkens has a high avg/attempt. Depth didn't look bad. With Luck our running game would have been several slots higher in avg.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree. He is faster and runs with more power than mack.

faster and bigger, not sure about the power.

Archived