Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Julian Blackmon

danlhart87

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

You think they drafted Taylor in the second round so he can back up Mack? They already have depth at running back.

We carried 4 backs last year. Jonathan Williams is gone. So the 4 this year will be Mack, Taylor, Wilkins, and Hines. I suspect Wilkins play. Less

1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

You think they drafted Taylor in the second round so he can back up Mack? They already have depth at running back.

Not good depth.  Hines is not going to be a backup running back.  He’s a pass package back which is fine there is most definitely a role for that on a NFL.  They have tried for two years for Wilkins to be the backup running back but he’s been okay at best.  He has two long runs and a decent game that really skew his stats because he’s gotten so few carries.  Add to that Mack has been a bit injury prone and they carried four running backs last year there is a spot for all of these guys on the roster.  Taylor also has the talent to be a really special player and gives you some protection with Mack going into the last year of his deal.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not good depth.  Hines is not going to be a backup running back.  He’s a pass package back which is fine there is most definitely a role for that on a NFL.  They have tried for two years for Wilkins to be the backup running back but he’s been okay at best.  He has two long runs and a decent game that really skew his stats because he’s gotten so few carries.  Add to that Mack has been a bit injury prone and they carried four running backs last year there is a spot for all of these guys on the roster.  Taylor also has the talent to be a really special player and gives you some protection with Mack going into the last year of his deal.

Not sure how many running backs you think the Colts keep. We signed a fullback and have Hines for third down. I think Wilkins is fine as a backup in addition to those two guys with Taylor starting. We have greater needs that could be filled by trading Mack.

Keep in mind, that while it’s likely he doesn’t play this year due to the ACL, the longer the whole virus thing goes on, the less likely we get an NFL season, so you may get extra time to heal him up and develop him usually game tape etc

7 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

If hooker stays healthy this is just a depth guy he's a 3rd round pick for a reason some people are overreacting on this one

You draft third round guys hoping they can develop into starters.  Ballard himself opened the door to not being sold on Hooker when he refused to commit one way or another to the fifth year option and pretty much said he wanted to see what the draft would bring.  So it’s pretty clear the Colts aren’t 100% sold on him.  Do I think Hooker is going anywhere before the end of the season?  No.  Do I think the Colts are pretty much telling Hooker this is a make or break year for him and preparing for the possibility of life without him?  Yes.

8 minutes ago, James said:

Draft Taylor... let’s move Mack!

Draft Blackmon... let’s move Hooker!

No, this is called quality depth who can develop and take over in the future.

Odom filled in nicely last year for Hooker.  Ballard questions his play at the end of the year.  We are not sure if we want to pick up his option in a couple of weeks.  We receive inquiries about Hooker.  And now we draft a Safety in the 3rd rd after drafting Willis in the 4th last year. Coincidental?  I don't know.  But this might be the time to move Hooker when there is definite interest.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Lol okay at best... 6 ypc is okay at best... don’t think two runs skew it that much

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You draft third round guys hoping they can develop into starters.  Ballard himself opened the door to not being sold on Hooker when he refused to commit one way or another to the fifth year option and pretty much said he wanted to see what the draft would bring.  So it’s pretty clear the Colts aren’t 100% sold on him.  Do I think Hooker is going anywhere before the end of the season?  No.  Do I think the Colts are pretty much telling Hooker this is a make or break year for him and preparing for the possibility of life without him?  Yes.

Depends on the position and how good the talent is and the team needs....the reason why there's pressure on hooker is because of injuries we all know he can play and his range is crazy

2 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Not sure how many running backs you think the Colts keep. We signed a fullback and have Hines for third down. I think Wilkins is fine as a backup in addition to those two guys with Taylor starting. We have greater needs that could be filled by trading Mack.

The fullback could very well change things but they did keep four last year but again that was without the full back spot but that was also with three QBs on the roster for half the season.  

if one is going some where I’d bet it’s Wilkins.  Hines is passing back and the punt returner so Wilkins is the odd man out.

I don’t see them trading Mack because then you are in the same boat you were in last year in not having a solid number two back.  Most teams have two good running backs.  It’s pretty clear Ballard and Reich want a great, not good, but great running game.  That’s what they are building this team around on offense.  This isn’t something Colts fans haven’t really seen since the days of Faulk.  

Rotoworld is calling Blackmons injury a knee sprain not an ACL.  Could they have it wrong?  I guess we will find out.  That's what caused him to miss his bowl game and not attend the combine.  They said he was the 5th rated safety before the injury and after moving to safety this year.  

36 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I thought that is what Willis was for.

They said he played 2 seasons at CB.  I wonder if they might try him out at CB?

Willis is SS this guy is more FS and was a good player probable would have gone a little bit higher if he didn't tear his ACL in the PAC12 title game.

15 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Lol okay at best... 6 ypc is okay at best... don’t think two runs skew it that much

He has 643 yards in his career, 108 of them came on two carries so about 1/6 of them.  Take those away his average drops to 4.9 yards per carry.  He’s also started four games over the past two years and average 21 yards per game per start.  He had a good game vs Carolina last year where he had 84 yards.  Take that one game out with two long runs your talking about a guy who has 451 yards over two years as the primary back up running back.  That’s ok at best and can be upgraded.  Judging by tonight I am not the only one who seems to be thinking that either as Ballard moved up to get Taylor. 

That was a good prediction.  I have not heard of him.  I hope, almost sure the Colts must have done a physical on him to ensure the ACL OK, although that is always a significant injury.    I was concerned when I seen one report listing him at 187 lbs, pretty light for a safety, then seen another magazine listing him a 204 lbs.   The highlight shows he can deliver a big hit, has striking ability.

41 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Not a fan. He tore his acl late in the year. I’m assuming he won’t play at all this year. We could’ve gotten a guy who could have an immediate impact. We’ll regret passing on Jordan Elliott too IMO

Could not agree more. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He has 643 yards in his career, 108 of them came on two carries so about 1/6 of them.  Take those away his average drops to 4.9 yards per carry.  He’s also started four games over the past two years and average 21 yards per game per start.  He had a good game vs Carolina last year where he had 84 yards.  Take that one game out with two long runs your talking about a guy who has 451 yards over two years as the primary back up running back.  That’s ok at best and can be upgraded.  Judging by tonight I am not the only one who seems to be thinking that either as Ballard moved up to get Taylor. 

4.9 is really really good, no?

30 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

That doesn’t change the fact that I see a SS. Maybe he does replace Hooker. Maybe not. I see a SS, you see a FS, and neither of us know what the Colts FO sees!

At 190 pounds and lots of athleticism,  I don’t know why you see a strong safety.    I see a future free safety.  

Looking forward to hearing what Ballard says tonight after Day 2.

12 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Depends on the position and how good the talent is and the team needs....the reason why there's pressure on hooker is because of injuries we all know he can play and his range is crazy

He also had several games last year where he did not play well I remember more than once him taking a very bad angle that lead to him getting beat bad.

You easily expect a third round safety to develop into a starter.  Bethea was a sixth rounder, Willis was a fourth rounder, Geathers was a fourth rounder.  Three of the Colts major starters at safety since 2006 were drafted AFTER where Blackmon was taken.

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The fullback could very well change things but they did keep four last year but again that was without the full back spot but that was also with three QBs on the roster for half the season.  

if one is going some where I’d bet it’s Wilkins.  Hines is passing back and the punt returner so Wilkins is the odd man out.

I don’t see them trading Mack because then you are in the same boat you were in last year in not having a solid number two back.  Most teams have two good running backs.  It’s pretty clear Ballard and Reich want a great, not good, but great running game.  That’s what they are building this team around on offense.  This isn’t something Colts fans haven’t really seen since the days of Faulk.  

Yeah Mack will be here. Bro ran for 1k last year. I cant see them showing Mack the door and keeping Wilkins

Guys just because not one of us had him in our mocks, does not mean its a bad pick. do your research before you judge the pick. From I can see, the kid will come up lay some wood. Hes also had 9 ints in his career

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He was a 3rd round pick... no ?

Yes, but I hear he was a reach and was suppose to go way later in the draft and people are confused why we reached on him. Just asking if he didn’t tear his acl would he still be a reach and expected to be to be a 2nd or a 3rd?

Just now, CR91 said:

Guys just because not one of us had him in our mocks. does not mean its a bad pick. do you research before you judge the pick. From I can see, the kid will come up lay some wood. Hes also had 9 ints in his career

I recall people losing their minds in a similar way when Ballard drafted Leonard.  I am NOT saying Blackmon will be as good as Leonard (although I hope he is) but I am saying let the kid play before you judge him.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Rotoworld referred to him as a SS.  PFF had him rated as the number 5 overall safety in the country out of 417 qualifiers. 

He was a 2nd team All american that switched positions his senior year.

6'1"  190  Runs around 4.4 . Good ball skills and is a hard hitter.  Why is everyone so bummed out ?

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Yes, but I hear he was a reach and was suppose to go way later in the draft and people are confused why we reached on him. Just asking if he didn’t tear his acl would he still be a reach and expected to be to be a 2nd or a 3rd?

Ok .. that's fair.

Archived