Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Julian Blackmon

danlhart87

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Positive thing is we don't need to rush him back since we already have 2 starters in Hooker and Willis. Once we get a top offer for Hooker via trade, once Blackmon is ready, then we could move Malik. 

Hes coming off an ACL straight out of college. I doubt hes ready enough this year to the point that we are ready to trade Hooker and let Blackmon take over immediately in October/November. I think Hooker remains in Indy this year. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hes coming off an ACL straight out of college. I doubt hes ready enough this year to the point that we are ready to trade Hooker and let Blackmon take over immediately in October/November. I think Hooker remains in Indy this year. 

I agree. 

11 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I do like Blackmon and think he will succeed in any role. 

However, this league is turning into a positionless game. Blackmon is that. I think he best fits as a SS that can make box plays, but he also can work as a nickel corner and a free safety.  {snip}

This guy is a cover 2 type safety, and he has a Marlin Jackson nickel corner capability/look to him- according to Bill Polian on NFL radio (SiriusXM) late this morning.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't get the Blackmon pick this early. Clearly a good guy, but clearly a project, and a project after a position switch. Hope it works out... But if it does, it's likely at SS.

Probably not far off Polian's thoughts above...

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

A lot of folks thought Leonard would be good, just scared to pick because of the small school setting. The production and measurables were absolutely there. Blackmon is not the same. Utah had a great D (for the PAC), but he's a conversion guy (CB to S) that probably projects more as SS, Box, or Nickel. Not a bad guy so to speak, but not someone I'd take in the 3rd. Leonard was not a project. He had clear skills at a big position. The only question was how much it would translate.

Polian took Marlin Jackson in what round?  See Polians thought on Blackmon above.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

It seems like he transitioned to safety this year and it took a few weeks before he got into rhythm at his new position. The impressive thing is... that by the end of the year he was viewed as one of the best defenders in college football, but he tore his ACL in Utah's bowl game. He was selected as 2019 All American. He was also the highest rated Utah defender by PFF. He was selected on the PFF All American team too. Here's what they wrote about him in their blurb:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-pff-all-american-team

I have not studied his tape so this will be one of the first things I will be doing next week. 

If NFL Game Pass is still free, go look at some old Colts footage with Marlin Jackson as well. See if there is a comparison.

3 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I guess I dont understand the successor part. This kid is going to sit out a year because of rehab. Always hear how much time a later rd player will take to develope. How is it possible that the kid will be ready to take over?

easy it’s a six-month turn around for him to recover. He had surgery in December we are now in the month of May he is 4 months removed from surgery. He probably won’t play this year but you can believe he will be in the film room picking the brains of the seasoned Vets and working on his technique this will definitely prepare him for the following season. 

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This guy is a cover 2 type safety, and he has a Marlin Jackson nickel corner capability/look to him- according to Bill Polian on NFL radio (SiriusXM) late this morning.

Probably not far off Polian's thoughts above...

I agree with BP. He's a flexible kid, but see him SS/Box/NB. With Moore locked up, and taking Willis last year, just not sure about the need. Seems more like a depth guy, and we could have gone after a few others where we had bigger holes. I do think he might have a higher ceiling than Willis though.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Polian took Marlin Jackson in what round?  See Polians thought on Blackmon above.

1st round IIRC. AA from scUM.

I still remember the Brady INT to seal the deal in the playoffs. Other than that, he was sort of meh for me.

Posted this in the poll thread, but probably belongs here...

OK, the more I read about Blackmon, the more I'm warming up. 

Guessing this is bad news for Geathers being resigned (has he ended up in the news at all). A little surprised they might give up on a "C". Perhaps they're hoping he comes back on a cheap deal.

On Blackmon... I like that he came from Utah who had a good backfield for the PAC, and also like his speed (4.46 if accurate). A little concerned with the late/December injury, and weight. I still think he could have been had a bit later, but warming up. 

Anyway, should be good comp for Willis. I think Blackmon could end up more well rounded than Willis, and be the primary SS, limiting Willis to box play. That won't happen early though.

Pretty much everybody is calling Blackmon a FS, possibly a Nickle Corner.  He's got versatility, not just the ability to sit back and play prevent defense.  He's also a good tackler but he's too slight to be a SS.  He's a zone defense FS.

This pick not only provides options on where to play him, several skills to deploy, it also gives us more options with Hooker next offseason.  We probably won't be picking up his 5th year option now since Ballard said that he would wait to see what happens in the draft.  I assume picking a FS that has more versatility has now solidified the decision.

Never know, we might play three Ss with Blackmon taking some coverage responsibilities and Hooker just playing his typical role of Prevent Defense deep roamer, but that singular role would not be very expensive in terms of contract.  It would be backup S money, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pretty much everybody is calling Blackmon a FS, possibly a Nickle Corner.  He's got versatility, not just the ability to sit back and play prevent defense.  He's also a good tackler but he's too slight to be a SS.  He's a zone defense FS.

This pick not only provides options on where to play him, several skills to deploy, it also gives us more options with Hooker next offseason.  We probably won't be picking up his 5th year option now since Ballard said that he would wait to see what happens in the draft.  I assume picking a FS that has more versatility has now solidified the decision.

Never know, we might play three Ss with Blackmon taking some coverage responsibilities and Hooker just playing his typical role of Prevent Defense deep roamer, but that singular role would not be very expensive in terms of contract.  It would be backup S money, IMO. 

He’s a Swiss Army knife for the secondary. I actually like this selection, because of Blackmon’s versatility. 

He’s just got to get healthy. 

5 minutes ago, Superfly said:

He’s a Swiss Army knife for the secondary. I actually like this selection, because of Blackmon’s versatility. 

He’s just got to get healthy. 

I think what bothers many, me included, is that we spent a third rounder on a guy who tore his ACL in December.  Even though Ballard traded down from 75 to 85 recognizing this, it still feels too high to me.

But what does spending this high of a pick on Blackmon say?  IMO, it says that Ballard valued him pretty highly.  He wanted him.  You could make an argument that if Blackmon DIDN'T tear his ACL Ballard may have spent pick 44 on him instead of Taylor, and looked for a different RB at 75.  Who knows, but picking an ACL guy in the third tells me how much he valued what Blackmon could add to the secondary relative to what we have there now.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think what bothers many, me included, is that we spent a third rounder on a guy who tore his ACL in December.  Even though Ballard traded down from 75 to 85 recognizing this, it still feels too high to me.

But what does spending this high of a pick on Blackmon say?  IMO, it says that Ballard valued him pretty highly.  He wanted him.  You could make an argument that if Blackmon DIDN'T tear his ACL Ballard may have spent pick 44 on him instead of Taylor, and looked for a different RB at 75.  Who knows, but picking an ACL guy in the third tells me how much he valued what Blackmon could add to the secondary relative to what we have there now.

There are players drafted in the 1st Rd coming off significant injuries all the time. 

Simmons for the Titans for example, so a 3rd Rd pick isn’t to concerning.

Always, enjoy you’re post Doug. :thmup:

On 4/24/2020 at 8:55 PM, COLTS449 said:

Not a fan. He tore his acl late in the year. I’m assuming he won’t play at all this year. We could’ve gotten a guy who could have an immediate impact. We’ll regret passing on Jordan Elliott too IMO

I don't "dislike" the Blackmon pick but I would've preferred 1) keeping #75 and drafting Gallimore or (2 drafting Elliott at #85, because I don't think the addition of Buckner (& Day) in and of itself is enough to upgrade the Colts' DL to where it needs to be--especially given what the other AFC South teams did in the draft.

I'm less concerned about what position Blackmon eventually plays than about his potential to help the Colts improve a real problem area-IIRC they were near the bottom, if not AT the bottom, of the league in pass defense versus tight ends. If Blackmon can help there, great.

But I keep wondering what a DL with Buckner at 3T AND an athletic freak like Gallimore at 1T might have looked like. Especially with Leonard, Okereke and Walker in back of them.

2 hours ago, CelticColt said:

I don't "dislike" the Blackmon pick but I would've preferred 1) keeping #75 and drafting Gallimore or (2 drafting Elliott at #85, because I don't think the addition of Buckner (& Day) in and of itself is enough to upgrade the Colts' DL to where it needs to be--especially given what the other AFC South teams did in the draft.

I'm less concerned about what position Blackmon eventually plays than about his potential to help the Colts improve a real problem area-IIRC they were near the bottom, if not AT the bottom, of the league in pass defense versus tight ends. If Blackmon can help there, great.

But I keep wondering what a DL with Buckner at 3T AND an athletic freak like Gallimore at 1T might have looked like. Especially with Leonard, Okereke and Walker in back of them.

I like Elliott more Than Gallimore honestly. 

I think our D line’s still gonna be straight nasty but I know what you’re saying. I do disagree with you about what Buckner brings, though. He is prolly the 2nd best DT in the NFL behind only Donald. I think he’s gonna be a major difference maker, and he’ll improve everyone around him. He’s gonna get a lot of attention. 

But yeah. Say we had taken one of Gallimore or Elliott. Either would prolly come in and start at some point next season. Could you imagine that front 7 ? Houston - Buckner - Gallimore/Elliott -Turay. With Autry, Day, and Banogu rotating in. Then the LB corps as you mentioned. Lol fun to dream am I right. Yeah that woulda been just STRAIGHT NASTY. Best front 7 in the league possibly. Depending on what Turay and Banogu do this year. We’re still in Very, very good shallow though. 

On 4/25/2020 at 12:21 AM, EastStreet said:

A lot of folks thought Leonard would be good, just scared to pick because of the small school setting. The production and measurables were absolutely there. Blackmon is not the same. Utah had a great D (for the PAC), but he's a conversion guy (CB to S) that probably projects more as SS, Box, or Nickel. Not a bad guy so to speak, but not someone I'd take in the 3rd. Leonard was not a project. He had clear skills at a big position. The only question was how much it would translate.

Hey. You’re a hellava poster bro. I always like reading what you have to say. You bring a lot of knowledge to the forum. Keep it up man. 

24 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Hey. You’re a hellava poster bro. I always like reading what you have to say. You bring a lot of knowledge to the forum. Keep it up man. 

Thanks 449. I've always been a football junkie. Given these Covid days, not much else to do this spring/summer lol. 

Just now reading through this topic. Man people didn’t do their scouting homework. I’m shocked at how many people didn’t know anything about Julian Blackmon. That Utah secondary was something serious (although Pittman seriously destroyed them) last season.

He might have gone a round early at most. But he’s good. You could argue he was the best DB in that group with Johnson and Burgess. 

This guy may not have Hookers crazy instincts and ball skills, but he’s a better football player. He’s also more complete since the clips you guys have seen show that the guy can hit and tackle. Also better character, but I’ll get into that in another topic I’m putting out tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Just now reading through this topic. Man people didn’t do their scouting homework. I’m shocked at how many people didn’t know anything about Julian Blackmon. That Utah secondary was something serious (although Pittman seriously destroyed them) last season.

He might have gone a round early at most. But he’s good. You could argue he was the best DB in that group with Johnson and Burgess. 

This guy may not have Hookers crazy instincts and ball skills, but he’s a better football player. He’s also more complete since the clips you guys have seen show that the guy can hit and tackle. Also better character, but I’ll get into that in another topic I’m putting out tomorrow.

I think it's more because their guy they thought should have been picked didn't get picked.

Way too many armchair GMs. Remember, they all have draft crews working year round for them. :sarcasm:

33 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know a lot about Blackmon--saw multiple Utah games this season. I just think a DL pick like Gallimore or Elliott would've likely had more impact than a promising safety pick. JMO...

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think it's more because their guy they thought should have been picked didn't get picked.

Way too many armchair GMs. Remember, they all have draft crews working year round for them. :sarcasm:

We’re all guilty of this. Sometimes we’re right (All of us who wanted Landon Collins over Dorsett) and sometimes we’re wrong. That type of thinking isn’t inherently wrong. Heck, till this day I still don’t understand the Banogu pick with AJ Brown on the board, but that’s neither here nor there.

Ultimately though, I trust Ballard. Yeah he misses sometimes, but his track record speaks for itself and it’s earned my trust as a fan. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, dw49 said:

He was a 2nd team All american that switched positions his senior year.

6'1"  190  Runs around 4.4 . Good ball skills and is a hard hitter.  Why is everyone so bummed out ?

DW... I know this was one of your favorite picks.

I don't know why so many are so bummed out . Some even act like Dr's saying he's probably out for the year. Anyway this guy had a few limited practices and looked pretty darn good out there. Kudos to all that didn't play Dr and say he should have gone in round 5. 

Not saying he's a steal after 1 game just saying he looks to be a player and is active after missing only 1 game.

Archived