Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done

EastStreet

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

We're kind of premature on some of this, right?

Realistically, all of this is very premature at this point.  Ballard just started building his 2020 roster, literally, yesterday.

Being excited about the addition of Buckner is understandable.  If Ballard signs Rivers, I'm going to wait and see what weapons he has to work with before getting too excited or disappointed in our 2020 offensive roster.  We might struggle to an 8-8 record, or click early and go 13-3 with the #1 seed.  There's just too much up in the air right now.  :dunno:

But I do believe our 2020 offense will have a strong defense to rely on, regardless of who the QB is.  :thmup:

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I agree. I might feel differently if he was coming off his 2nd bad season in a row. But he was a legit Pro Bowler in '17 and '18. IF the Colts got 2018 Rivers...they might be playing in late January next year. It's worth a roll of the dice.

Not to mention the connections to the staff are huge in this case...I think they want as seamless of a transition as possible...and Rivers can provide that.

He had 3 good years with Reich, top 10 if not top 5 in a lot of stats.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

they have the 6th pick to draft one

Because they are going younger at the position and they must think he is done im not convinced now I might agree if he throws 20 int's with our o-line but until that happen this is a good temporary move for the team. Sorry I just wont get behind anybody saying staying the course with bum Brissett is best for this team moving forward.

With Brisett at QB, the Colts were among the worst passing teams in the league statistically.

This will improve with P. Rivers, however, most likely we will go from among the worst to the middle of the league (average). I'm not too excited about an average passing game.

I understand the move, (if it's made) but I'm not thrilled about it.

11 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

THE COLTS WOULD BE 7-0 IF WE HAD A DECENT KICKER! i hope we remember that.

lots of teams can say stuff like that.  titans would have beat us if they switched to RT sooner.  texans would have beat the saints if not for a long fg at the buzzer 

chargers would have beat the colts still if hooker didnt catch that

Just now, richard pallo said:

Two hours ago Matt Miller tweeted the contract was almost done.  Since then Brees agrees to 25M a year.   I wonder if this is less than where the Colts and Rivers were heading?   Maybe it's back to the drawing board.  

Maybe, or it upped Rivers asking price. Either way, there’s no rush on this

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ehh...

He was pressured on 223 dropbacks in 2019, with 34 sacks. In 2018, he was pressured on 227 dropbacks, with 35 sacks. The dropoff in production/efficiency in one year isn't just because the OL struggled in 2019.

You don't think that there is a accumulative effect of having no protection the last couple years combining with an aging qb whose physical attributes are waning. I think the real question is does he still have the physical attributes to make the plays in our offense. If yes..I would sign him up. He will have much much better protection (no throwing off backfoot/on the move/guys in his face) and he will be a huge presence in the locker room. If he can't make the plays...move on to one we think can. But imo just because the pressures and sacks are the same and the numbers are worse..to me just shows me a qb that is underseige and can't make the pressured plays he once could..but doesn't tell me he can't make plays in our offense.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just saw a repeat segment from earlier this AM where Ian Rapoport said that parties were close, just trying to agree on a final number. That was likely pre- tweet from Miller.

I also wonder if Ballard isn't trying to make a corresponding JB move at the same time. Not that there would be any QB controversy...but it would be a whole hell of a lot easier at the Rivers press conference if they didn't have to talk about JB.

5 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Paying rivers anything above 25mil is absurd. Let him walk if that’s the case.  Either way if he signs we’re going to have like 60mil in cap dedicated to our qb position

It won't be. They will release Hoyer and trade JB to free up ~$20M. If done correctly, Rivers is like a net $10M on the cap...max.

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Paying rivers anything above 25mil is absurd. Let him walk if that’s the case.  Either way if he signs we’re going to have like 60mil in cap dedicated to our qb position

If we sign anyone, we’ll end up cutting or trading JB. Or just let him ride out this last year and enter FA. It’s not a long term problem

Remember in 2018 when Luck had a streak of not being sacked? Does anyone think that Rivers can’t go through his progression as well as Luck whole not being touched?  Luck almost never had to run and his receivers had separation because of Franks play calling . I expect similar results unless we have Oline injuries. JB held the ball too long. Rivers won’t.

Not the biggest Rivers fan, but I can’t deny his skill set. I’ve heard a lot of people say he has lost his rifle, but it was on full display at the pro bowl when he won the qb precision challenge, which he has won multiple times. Yes I know it’s just pro bowl and no pressure throws, but I was shocked at the zip he cold still put on it. Yes he throws a lot of interceptions, but so did Manning and Luck and both did great things for this team.

Heres my other thought....Rivers is a field general, plays with emotion and will let his players have it if they screw up...and I think that’s exactly what this team needs, more discipline, accountability, etc, just like Manning used to possess. Hopefully Rivers brings that.

I am starting to warm up to this idea, even if  he can sometimes be a hothead, like the time he flipped all of us Colts fans off while he ran off the field, lol. He’s got history with our coach, and is definitely capable of doing great things for us.

Just glad the Brady talk seems to be diminishing, I want nothing to do with him.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Let's not just scout the stat sheet. He had a rough season last year. Look at his 4th quarter numbers, his play under pressure, etc. Fourth quarter, trailing by less than 8 points, he was 52%, 6 yards/attempt, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 58.6 passer rating. This is way worse than 2018.

He was terrible under pressure, which is concerning because he's the least mobile QB in the NFL. 

And I'm not convinced that the guy who was pretty good at 37 years old, then struggled at 38, is suddenly going to be rejuvenated at 39. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/situationalstats

It looks like we're signing him, so I hope he's fantastic for us, but I'm skeptical about his ability to get back to playing efficient, winning football. I understand the draw, and I will understand the signing, assuming it happens, but I'm still not sure it's going to be the shot in the arm we all hope it will be... for Rivers or for the Colts.

Rivers if signed will just ball for us!! Any doubts, go watch the 1st game of last year were the Colts lost to SD. He was the reason we lost. when given time he is super accurate, unlike JB. He will be fine if signed, and would be the least of my worries. Lets go get a WR now!!!

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I also wonder if Ballard isn't trying to make a corresponding JB move at the same time. Not that there would be any QB controversy...but it would be a whole hell of a lot easier at the Rivers press conference if they didn't have to talk about JB.

While I think they will try to move JB, I doubt they will exhaust much effort. I'm sure Ballard will have some targets in mind, but doubt the demand is there. I could see him going to a team where we split the cap hit. Either that, or just a simple cut to allow JB to go to whatever team he wants.

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ehh...

He was pressured on 223 dropbacks in 2019, with 34 sacks. In 2018, he was pressured on 227 dropbacks, with 35 sacks. The dropoff in production/efficiency in one year isn't just because the OL struggled in 2019.

His mobility has been going down for a while and he might have gotten progressively worse at seeing pressure when there was none, which happens when you have to run for your life all the time. He's still pretty good limiting sacks though. I really think he can benefit a lot by having a MUCH more stable OL than he did with the Chargers. 

Ultimately I prefer him over Brissett, but I'm also not sure he will be able to return to his franchise QB type of form. Either way, he's not the long-term solution and IMO we should still be looking for that either in this draft or in next. 

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I guarantee it Supe.  JB is one of the very worst starters in the NFL.  He was never any good with the exception of the first Houston game, but that gameplan was marvelous.  

You'll see and be very happy with the way this offense goes from a very lethargic one to a very lively one on the first snap of the season.  It will be obvious how bad JB was on opening day.

The only reason JB didn't have high INT is the great time to throw he was afforded coupled with the putridly low yards per attempt he had.

Hear me now believe me later Supe.

Death and taxes...

Archived