Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done

EastStreet

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Makes perfect sense.  You can see if he still has it and try and work out another deal if you want him another year.

Yea I guess they can franchise him if needed

Rappaport says they plan to keep JB also

5 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

One yr deal makes zero sense unless they plan to trade up 

Could be a get to know ya deal, a prove it deal, a mentor Chad Kelly deal, a mentor Brissett deal (not likely), and mentor Gordon/Eason/Love/Hurts deal. Could also mean Rivers was asking for too much over 2 years, or too much guaranteed over two years. If he really wanted a two year deal, seems he would have had other suitors.

I'm surprised it's only one year, but I can think of a lot of reasons it's only one year. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Could be a get to know ya deal, a prove it deal, a mentor Chad Kelly deal, a mentor Brissett deal (not likely), and mentor Gordon/Eason/Love/Hurts deal. Could also mean Rivers was asking for too much over 2 years, or too much guaranteed over two years. If he really wanted a two year deal, seems he would have had other suitors.

I'm surprised it's only one year, but I can think of a lot of reasons it's only one year. 

Allows both sides an out if it isn't working out.

Surprised but not unhappy.

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Keeping JB?  That's weird.  Alot of money to be paying a backup.

Yea . Who knows,   Maybe they do like Kelly in the future  or think Herbert/Love will fall.  I'm confused on the 1 yr deal but I am starting to get it a little I guess.  

At the least I assume they have a plan for 2021 .  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

More moves coming up.  Now that Rivers is done everyone knows we are going for it this year.  I would expect Funchess now and hopefully Anderson.  Need at least one more veteran receiver who is a deep threat.  

I really wish now we would have kept Cain now that we have QB that is willing and able to throw deep. 

5 minutes ago, will426 said:

Hilton healthy is gonna EAT and So should doyle and Campbell rivers loves the ends and he will FALL IN LOVE WITH HINES hopefully we throw it more to Mack as well

Even Rogers could get back to his 500 yard form if resigned lol

25 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Ballard and company must think we can do it this yr.  I don't see it yet, but maybe there are more moves coming.   Maybe Irsay said Let er Rip Chris.  

I suspect Irsay went to Ballard after the playoffs and said "our roster is as good as Tennessee's, so how did they get to the AFC championship game with Tannehill?" and Ballard said "better defense than ours" to which Irsay said "fix it," followed pretty soon afterwards by a call from J. Lynch to CB asking "what would it take for you to give up #13 to us?"

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Compared to JB, who shines in the clutch... /s

Compared to Brady, who's brilliant in the clutch, will probably sign for 2 years plus option which gives us a luxury of time to develop our succession plan, and while he is old, Rivers isn't exactly a spring chicken either.

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'll have to get used to Brady being available. Sifting through old QB's isn't the greatest thing in the world anyway, but the upshot with Rivers was always that he knows the system. Brady is over the long haul better, but as it stands tomorrow? I'll bet it's close to a wash.

I'll take a virtual wash statistically with a chance of Brady being Brady in the clutch, over Rivers being Rivers in the clutch, 11 times out of 10

23 hours ago, EastStreet said:

DD wasn't a great coach, but he wasn't good either 

:thmup:

Don't know about his skills and don't care cause it's irrelevant to his point on luck.  In 5 years,  he couldn't consistently hit his receivers in stride. Often throwing high and behind. 

On 3/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, Superman said:

Define success.

All I'm saying is his efficiency went down, he wasn't good late in games, he threw a lot of picks, he can't escape pressure, and he's 38/39 years old this season. The Chargers have a pretty good roster, and they went 1-6 at the end of the season last year.

So let's not assume that a simple change of scenery is automatically going to make all of that go away. Usually, QBs who struggle at 38 don't experience a dramatic renaissance at 39.

He's a good fit. I can see this working well. But I have some concern about his ability to play at a high level, given his age and recent history.

Exactly right, we have to hope he does have a renaissance, Philip can be magically effective and absolutely atrocious all in the same game.  If this works it will because he has time to throw and a quick passing attack.  He'll be able to make reads at the line, get into the right plays (or get out of the wrong ones) and win with some combo of experience, protection, and efficient passing.  I don't love the deal but now that he's a Colt, I'm in!  JB has to be out, can't have 46K in QB salary, so that's the next axe to fall...

Archived