Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Define success.   All I'm saying is his efficiency went down, he wasn't good late in games, he threw a lot of picks, he can't escape pressure, and he's 38/39 years old this season. The Charg

I dunno, that's a pretty tall order these days. 

Completely agree, we do not need a washed up Rivers.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You don't think that there is a accumulative effect of having no protection the last couple years combining with an aging qb whose physical attributes are waning. I think the real question is does he still have the physical attributes to make the plays in our offense. If yes..I would sign him up. He will have much much better protection (no throwing off backfoot/on the move/guys in his face) and he will be a huge presence in the locker room. If he can't make the plays...move on to one we think can. But imo just because the pressures and sacks are the same and the numbers are worse..to me just shows me a qb that is underseige and can't make the pressured plays he once could..but doesn't tell me he can't make plays in our offense.

 

Not downplaying the effect of bad OL play, I've been watching the Colts long enough to know how critical protection is. But I think some are downplaying the reality of his age. Even if there were contributing factors along the way, how likely is it that a 39 year old suddenly bounces back to form?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

This is unprecedented movement from NFL QBs (iirc). This is a wonderful distraction for NFL fans.

 

I wonder if TEN's success with RT last year has somewhat led to this.

Yes and needed based on corona daily depressing news and our lives turned upside down. Let's all be well and stay safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers should be able to read a defense and see a wide open Jack Doyle streaming down the middle of the field without anyone around for 10 yards, right?

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they move on from both Brissett and Hoyer.....could Rivers possibly groom Chad Kelley into our eventual starter when Rivers hangs it up? That’s of course if Kelly proves himself in preseason, etc. They seem to have similar styles and attitudes, maybe it could work? 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CamMo said:

Rivers should be able to read a defense and see a wide open Jack Doyle streaming down the middle of the field without anyone around for 10 yards, right?

 

He could have also tossed it long to Cain who had beat his man deep several times.... lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Rivers if signed will just ball for us!! Any doubts, go watch the 1st game of last year were the Colts lost to SD. He was the reason we lost. when given time he is super accurate, unlike JB. He will be fine if signed, and would be the least of my worries. Lets go get a WR now!!!

 

I agree with the bolded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superfly said:


You really have to peel a few more layers of the onion with Teddy, to realize he’s a limited passer. Very JB like. He’s been referred to as “check down Charlie” for a reason. Bottom league in yards per attempt. Just like JB! 

 

Comprehending it would be difficult for you to understand.  
 

64th rated FA by NFL.com for a reason.

 

Cheers

Like the guy Teddy, But his arm strength is QUESTIONABLE at best. Like him but would do a hard pass on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

Favre with Minnesota is a reasonable comparison. He was 40 that first year, and was reunited with an old QB coach/coordinator in Darrell Bevell. Bounced back from an ugly season with the Jets. 

 

If we sign him, I'm on board. Just skeptical.

 

Also wonder what what we do with JB. Maybe the Pats want him back for a conditional pick or something...

Here you go you got a winner! ding ding ding!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Not downplaying the effect of bad OL play, I've been watching the Colts long enough to know how critical protection is. But I think some are downplaying the reality of his age. Even if there were contributing factors along the way, how likely is it that a 39 year old suddenly bounces back to form?

Like I said, in an earlier reply, it wasn't only the OL. Bottom 5 running game too. 

Great OL + good running game + chip on his shoulder = reinvigorated (likely)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, in an earlier reply, it wasn't only the OL. Bottom 5 running game too. 

Great OL + good running game + chip on his shoulder = reinvigorated (likely)

 

But we know you don't have to have a good running game to have an efficient passing attack. That's established. He didn't throw 20 picks because they couldn't run the ball. 

 

I agree that it's the best situation for Rivers. If he's going to bounce back anywhere, outside of with the Chargers, it will be in Indy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I don't agree with this at all, but no better alternative after trading our first pick

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

But we know you don't have to have a good running game to have an efficient passing attack. That's established. He didn't throw 20 picks because they couldn't run the ball. 

 

I agree that it's the best situation for Rivers. If he's going to bounce back anywhere, outside of with the Chargers, it will be in Indy.

Come on Supe lol. Show me another QB who has both a bottom 5 OL and a bottom 5 rushing game, that has been been successful. The fact the guy had a super good time to throw AND still got beat up as bad as he did AND threw for a bunch is almost miraculous itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

So assuming he lands here, what type of numbers does he need to put up to make you happy.

 

Fill in the blank.

 

YPG:

Completion%:

TD:

INT:

QBR:

AVG:

 

The only numbers that matter are wins and losses.

 

If he gets us to the AFC Championship game I would be thrilled.  I don't really see that happening, but anything is possible, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastStreet said:

If individual performance doesn't matter, then what's your worry??

 

I never said I was worried.  I don't care if he runs a QB sneak every play if we win.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers puts this team back into contender status for at least a season or two. This also shows that the Colts weren't exactly thrilled with any of the QB options that would have possibly been available at or around #13.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

I never said I was worried.  I don't care if he runs a QB sneak every play if we win.  

Bottom line, he's an upgrade over JB. There was no better win-now option in the draft (all available would need a year or two). Whether there was a better option in FA, that's highly debatable.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rayski said:

 

Yey

I think Rivers is an upgrade over Brissett so I'll be pretty okay with signing him. It's not like we'd be signing away our future. That said... this video is hilarious! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard said he wants more friction in the locker room and people to hold each other accountable. Rivers is a fierce competitor and definitely going to hold people accountable.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Restored said:

Rivers puts this team back into contender status for at least a season or two. This also shows that the Colts weren't exactly thrilled with any of the QB options that would have possibly been available at or around #13.

With the way FA QB are getting signed we still might get Herbert or Love. They are going to slide. Maybe Ballard knew this. Second also have ammo to move back up. 

1 minute ago, Reidm said:

Ballard said he wants more friction in the locker room and people to hold each other accountable. Rivers is a fierce competitor and definitely going to hold people accountable.

Plus he has the career and success they will listen when he talks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Bottom line, he's an upgrade over JB. There was no better win-now option in the draft (all available would need a year or two). Whether there was a better option in FA, that's highly debatable.

 

Agreed on all points.  I don't like most of the retreads out there.  Not sure how much Rivers has left - that is my only concern.  I hope this would rejuvenate his career for a few years.  But I also hope any contract has an escape clause for us.  Not sure how all the contract structures work but I would like for us to be able to part ways after one season without costing us a bunch of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know who will be happy. Mack, Hines, Campbell and TY. Mack won’t have everyone crowding the box and Hines could do what Ekeler did. What we seen from Campbell he should benefit too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard wants more friction. This will do that. Rivers will be well respected because of his good career and players will listen.  Now we just wait and see if Ballard goes after the future QB in the draft. Looks like dominos are falling where a couple teams might not take a QB in the top ten which could make a QB fall and allow us to move back into the first. He might like s guy like Eason or Gordon just as much as Herbert and Love to get them later.

I think we draft Herbert and he learns from Rivers and Reich and can develop into a Star. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing Rivers would be a big mistake. The only reason we would sign him is because of Reich and Siri. I watched him a good bit last year and his arm strength is not very good and he is virtually a statue in the pocket. An interception waiting to happen. Our best move would be to trade for Carr.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

Agreed on all points.  I don't like most of the retreads out there.  Not sure how much Rivers has left - that is my only concern.  I hope this would rejuvenate his career for a few years.  But I also hope any contract has an escape clause for us.  Not sure how all the contract structures work but I would like for us to be able to part ways after one season without costing us a bunch of money.

You nailed it that’s probably and should be the plan because we should have a young Qb waiting in the wings after one year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rayski said:

I've been openly criticising him forever. Most useless signing imo. Didn't think CB would be up for this.

Ballard has lost it. He must be feeling the heat to win now at any cost. This makes absolutely no sense in how he has talked in the past and the players he has signed.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigO said:

Our best move would be to trade for Carr.

 

trade what?  i think people would be on board with it but they could ask for a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

Agreed on all points.  I don't like most of the retreads out there.  Not sure how much Rivers has left - that is my only concern.  I hope this would rejuvenate his career for a few years.  But I also hope any contract has an escape clause for us.  Not sure how all the contract structures work but I would like for us to be able to part ways after one season without costing us a bunch of money.

I don't like retreads either. I would have preferred Love or Herbert (with Rivers bridging/mentoring), but I prefer Buckner to Love/Herbert lol... So I'll take Rivers + Buckner every day and twice on Sunday at this point. If we really wanted Love, we could always trade back into the mid 1st round with 34+44. I wouldn't be shocked if Love fell either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Ballard has lost it. He must be feeling the heat to win now at any cost. This makes absolutely no sense in how he has talked in the past and the players he has signed.

He upgraded the QB position.   Makes a lot of sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Useless projection.  Please don't come back when the Colts are winning.  :hat:

 

It's a forum where people post opinions buddy. My projection is as useless as yours.

 

I've been here long enough that yall will kick PR to the curb once he has first multiple interception game and there's no doubt Rivers will have at least a few of those. This is the first dumb move I think Ballard has made.

 

If I'm wrong then I can't wait to see Phillip get us to the second round of the playoffs!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...