Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done

EastStreet

7 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Ballard has lost it. He must be feeling the heat to win now at any cost. This makes absolutely no sense in how he has talked in the past and the players he has signed.

So what would you have preferred?

A. Stayed with JB who has a very low ceiling

B. Not trade for a stud 3T, and draft a risky QB at 13

C. Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and not give him a mentor?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Come on Supe lol. Show me another QB who has both a bottom 5 OL and a bottom 5 rushing game, that has been been successful. The fact the guy had a super good time to throw AND still got beat up as bad as he did AND threw for a bunch is almost miraculous itself.

Define success.

All I'm saying is his efficiency went down, he wasn't good late in games, he threw a lot of picks, he can't escape pressure, and he's 38/39 years old this season. The Chargers have a pretty good roster, and they went 1-6 at the end of the season last year.

So let's not assume that a simple change of scenery is automatically going to make all of that go away. Usually, QBs who struggle at 38 don't experience a dramatic renaissance at 39.

He's a good fit. I can see this working well. But I have some concern about his ability to play at a high level, given his age and recent history.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Define success.

All I'm saying is his efficiency went down, he wasn't good late in games, he threw a lot of picks, he can't escape pressure, and he's 38/39 years old this season. The Chargers have a pretty good roster, and they went 1-6 at the end of the season last year.

So let's not assume that a simple change of scenery is automatically going to make all of that go away. Usually, QBs who struggle at 38 don't experience a dramatic renaissance at 39.

He's a good fit. I can see this working well. But I have some concern about his ability to play at a high level, given his age and recent history.

I think its natural to have concerns. Who wouldn't. I want to see the deal and details before I make any decisions about the signing. A 2 year deal with an out after the first year would be perfect. Worst case scenario, he doesn't pan out and we have a better chance at grabbing Lawrence or Fields. 

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Come on Supe lol. Show me another QB who has both a bottom 5 OL and a bottom 5 rushing game, that has been been successful. The fact the guy had a super good time to throw AND still got beat up as bad as he did AND threw for a bunch is almost miraculous itself.

Luck?

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Define success.

I do think the age issue in sports seems to be lessened. No it may be chemicals more so than genes, but yeah. 

Posted this before, but Lifelong Chargers fan here.  Unfortunately now without a team due to what the Chargers did to SD and Rivers.  Been excited to see where he lands for next team.  Been lurking this board because for me it is the #1 place I'd like to see him go.

I understand without being a fan and watching a team week after week, you can't really grasp how everything went down.  All you can rely on is the stats and win/loss column.

Now, I could be completely wrong, and maybe last year was a sign of his decline.  But as someone who watched every single game multiple times from 2019, that offensive line was pure trash.  Watch the steelers game if you really want to see how bad it was.  The offensive line was constantly crumbling around him.  Not to say some of the INT weren't on him, but the offensive line and play calling were overall bad.  Rivers would've been MVP in 2018 and taken his team to the #1 seed, had it not been for KC moving on from Smith and starting Mahomes.  That was with a bad oline too.  I'd hate to imagine he went from MVP level to retirement level in the span of a season.  The reason I'm excited for Colts as a landing spot is because he will have a few things he's never had - a top oline(hasn't had since 09), good coach, solid run game(hasn't had this since 08), and ownership that actually cares about winning.

I haven't seen any of the Colts games outside of Colts vs Chargers week 1, but I can see 6 of your 9 losses were by 7 or less.  And JB's numbers looked mediocre.  I'd imagine if you got a QB like Rivers who could play like he did in 2018, you add some more wins to that column and become competitors.

But I completely understand the sentiment coming from the people who don't want to see Rivers there.  All you see if a QB nearing the end of his career coming off the worst statistical season of his career.  But I believe Rivers behind a good oline, with a run game, he can still play at a high level.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Define success.

I have a lot of concerns, but I think he will be accurate behind a great OL, and will not have to play hero ball near as much given our running game. Add in our improved D with Buckner, and I like his chances to win 10-13.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

What's going on here?  Did Brady's agent call the Colts?  Did Newton's agent call the Colts?  How about Winston's agent?  Did Brees contract change things?  What seemed inevitable has crawled to a snails pace.  

I'm almost certain Ballard and crew have investigated all options.  My guess it is compensation and Rivers wanting to know what they plan to do to get more weapons around him, who the backup will be, plans for winning right now etc

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What's going on here?  Did Brady's agent call the Colts?  Did Newton's agent call the Colts?  How about Winston's agent?  Did Brees contract change things?  What seemed inevitable has crawled to a snails pace.  

It's likely they can't officially announce until after 4.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So what would you have preferred?

A. Stayed with JB who has a very low ceiling

B. Not trade for a stud 3T, and draft a risky QB at 13

C. Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and not give him a mentor?

Draft a quarterback and not sign Rivers. This just looks like desperation to me.

1 hour ago, Superfly said:

Nope, JB will be cut! 

Still costs $12.5 million against the cap, does save 8.875 million.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

While I think they will try to move JB, I doubt they will exhaust much effort. I'm sure Ballard will have some targets in mind, but doubt the demand is there. I could see him going to a team where we split the cap hit. Either that, or just a simple cut to allow JB to go to whatever team he wants.

Maybe (the bolded) for a conditional 6th or 7th pick. woulb be best, but probably have to take the 12.5 million dollar medicine.

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

But we know you don't have to have a good running game to have an efficient passing attack. That's established. He didn't throw 20 picks because they couldn't run the ball. 

I agree that it's the best situation for Rivers. If he's going to bounce back anywhere, outside of with the Chargers, it will be in Indy.

Agreed. I think Philip with his age and regression really started to let the pressure effect his play. As the season went along I also think he was pressing. Trying to do too much and make plays off schedule and off balance etc. Honestly I think Phillip can be every bit as effective as Tom Brady at this stage in their careers if they play ahead of the chains, get the ball out quick, and have mostly a clean pocket. I think both against stout pressure will be extremely limited. Philip can get us in and out of bad plays (audible), check down when necessary, and I do believe when there is a play to be made down the field can drive it down there accurately. Most importantly he should be a leader in the locker room and huddle and inspire our guys to play hard and finish. His fast ball may be diminished but I think he can move the ball around enough to keep the defense off balance and be effective...he just can't do that when he is off platform like he may have done even just 3 or 4 years ago.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Luck?

I don't think Luck ever had both a bottom 5 OL and running game. We only had a really bad running game one year (I think 2015). And while we had OL struggles at times, our pass pro wasn't as bad as people think per the ratings.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

DD just said he would rather have Brissett than Rivers! He's always good enough to get you fired (Rivers). 

"Everytime he throws an INT he starts B*ing and wining on the side lines. It cannot be everybody elses fault all the time" - Dan Dachich

another caller said if we signing a QB lets just get Brady. If Chargers dont want him, Why would Colts want him.

I respect Dakich's opinion on this subject about as much as I'd respect Donald Duck. He never thought Luck was a good QB.

8 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Draft a quarterback and not sign Rivers. This just looks like desperation to me.

I don't see desperation at all. It's a bridge at worst, and likely will turn out better than most think.

And who are you going to draft at 34?

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

DD just said he would rather have Brissett than Rivers! He's always good enough to get you fired (Rivers). 

"Everytime he throws an INT he starts B*ing and wining on the side lines. It cannot be everybody elses fault all the time" - Dan Dachich

another caller said if we signing a QB lets just get Brady. If Chargers dont want him, Why would Colts want him.

Dachich is eternally unhappy because he couldn't cut it as a coach lol. 

Rivers is only a two year bridge, and isn't getting anyone fired.

And Dachich complaining about other complaining, or not taking ownership is pretty rich lol.

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Still costs $12.5 million against the cap, does save 8.875 million.

Maybe (the bolded) for a conditional 6th or 7th pick. woulb be best, but probably have to take the 12.5 million dollar medicine.

Honestly I'm not concerned about the money. Chances are the hit would have went unused anyway. I like JB as a guy, so I hope we do whatever we can to find him the home that he wants.

5 minutes ago, P'Son said:

I'll take the under.

Fortunately you will be wrong! You highly underestimate Rivers!  2 things kept the Colts last year from winning, inaccurate QB play, coupled with JB poor vision and or unwillingness to throw down field, which is the scouting report of JB, and interior pass rush which makes the whole defense better! The Colts assuming they sign Rivers, and the trade for Buckner may have solved both of those problems. Couple that with the rest of the Colts division, trading or releasing quality player , equals the arrow is pointing UP for the Colts. Keep in mind, 10 wins is 3 more wins than last year. Better roster this year, its a no brainier!  

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Make it official, already!!! The suspense is killing me. :) 

Can't be 'official'.  The true FA period (and 1st official day of the 2020 NFL calendar) begins tomorrow afternoon after 4:00 pm.  We are still in the legal tampering period where teams can reach out to player agents, but can't officially make signings.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's likely they can't officially announce until after 4.

I think they can 'leak' an unofficial agreements basic terms, but no signatures and official announcements until 3/18/2020 after 4 O'Clock pm EST.

Archived