Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done

EastStreet

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Teddy Bridgewater (5-0) had a better record than Rivers..... And he's 27 years old buddy. Has started for 2 NFL teams and was successful. Whats funny?

You really have to peel a few more layers of the onion with Teddy, to realize he’s a limited passer. Very JB like. He’s been referred to as “check down Charlie” for a reason. Bottom league in yards per attempt. Just like JB! 

Comprehending it would be difficult for you to understand.  

64th rated FA by NFL.com for a reason.

Cheers

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Looking at the options, this is the best QB available.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

Simply untrue that Rivers is the best current FA QB.

I think it would be an organizational step backards to sign Rivers.  Dude has no clutch.  He is a master of throwing turnovers at the worst possible times.  Good QB, but plays down in big moments.  No interested.

2 minutes ago, Superfly said:

You really have to peel a few more layers of the onion with Teddy, to realize he’s a limited passer. Very JB like. He’s been referred to as “check down Charlie” for a reason. Bottom league in yards per attempt. Just like JB! 

Comprehending it would be difficult for you to understand.  

64th rated FA by NFL.com for a reason.

Cheers

Ill allow you to respond to my updated post. I'll be fair and not limit what you read.

7 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Teddy Bridgewater (5-0) had a better record than Rivers..... And he's 27 years old buddy. Has started for 2 NFL teams and was successful. Whats funny?

Let me school you for a sec. What career similarities does Bridgewater and Drew Brees have in common?

Brees landed in NO because of getting hurt in LA. 

Bridgewater landed in NO because of getter hurt in MINN.

Both were successful prior and during their time at NO.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I am not convinced either...but I do think it's worth the roll of the dice here (assuming they don't want another guy like Winston). Other QBs have found success late in their careers on different teams (Favre, Warner). Obviously, not all situations and players are the same...but I think Rivers can do it as well.

I have been very adamant about bringing in a vet upgrade...which (at the very least) I think Rivers is. How much...we just don't know yet. But at the very least...it should be entertaining.

Favre with Minnesota is a reasonable comparison. He was 40 that first year, and was reunited with an old QB coach/coordinator in Darrell Bevell. Bounced back from an ugly season with the Jets. 

If we sign him, I'm on board. Just skeptical.

Also wonder what what we do with JB. Maybe the Pats want him back for a conditional pick or something...

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Let's not just scout the stat sheet. He had a rough season last year. Look at his 4th quarter numbers, his play under pressure, etc. Fourth quarter, trailing by less than 8 points, he was 52%, 6 yards/attempt, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 58.6 passer rating. This is way worse than 2018.

He was terrible under pressure, which is concerning because he's the least mobile QB in the NFL. 

And I'm not convinced that the guy who was pretty good at 37 years old, then struggled at 38, is suddenly going to be rejuvenated at 39. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/situationalstats

It looks like we're signing him, so I hope he's fantastic for us, but I'm skeptical about his ability to get back to playing efficient, winning football. I understand the draw, and I will understand the signing, assuming it happens, but I'm still not sure it's going to be the shot in the arm we all hope it will be... for Rivers or for the Colts.

i dont think hes physically  done like that other poster, he made some mental mistakes.    our line and reuniting with reich and siri can help with that

2 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Yea cause you can compare teams W/L record as a deciding factor on who is better without looking at roster. Do you even watch football?  wth

No and I know Rivers has nver done anything his entire career with AMAZING, Good, or Poor rosters= Rivers still sucks. Numbers dont mean anything if you always have the numbers and dont do anyting with the roster/team.

Rivers is a veteran version of Winston in many regards.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

th 

Let's not just scout the stat sheet. He had a rough season last year. Look at his 4th quarter numbers, his play under pressure, etc. Fourth quarter, trailing by less than 8 points, he was 52%, 6 yards/attempt, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 58.6 passer rating. This is way worse than 2018.

He was terrible under pressure, which is concerning because he's the least mobile QB in the NFL. 

And I'm not convinced that the guy who was pretty good at 37 years old, then struggled at 38, is suddenly going to be rejuvenated at 39. 

It looks like we're signing him, so I hope he's fantastic for us, but I'm skeptical about his ability to get back to playing efficient, winning football. I understand the draw, and I will understand the signing, assuming it happens, but I'm still not sure it's going to be the shot in the arm we all hope it will be... for Rivers or for the Colts.

I'm not convinced either, but it's only fair to mention that his two OTs combined for the second most pressures in the league, and ranked 29th as an OL unit. So not shocked by some of his stats.

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I think it would be an organizational step backards to sign Rivers.  Dude has no clutch.

Compared to JB, who shines in the clutch... /s

I'm not sure Rivers is a significant step forward, like some think, but it's not a step backward. 

I also think it provides a better environment for grooming a new QB, which I hope is still the plan starting in 2020.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Meh. Lets see if he has anything left; he has an excellent offensive line and solid running game.  He threw some INTS and was bad when teams knew all they had to do is rush and his line was bottom few in the league.

Assuming health:

1.  He will be better than he was last year with the TD/INT ratio.

2.  He will be way, way better than Brissett.

GUARANTEED.

This is basically a no risk move.  We suck at QB right now, so no risk there.  The only risk is if the would have been 13th pick at QB turns out to be a stud.  Unlikely.  Or Brady or Dalton is way better than Rivers.  Unlikely.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I'm not convinced either, but it's only fair to mention that his two OTs combined for the second most pressures in the league, and ranked 29th as an OL unit. So not shocked by some of his stats.

Ehh...

He was pressured on 223 dropbacks in 2019, with 34 sacks. In 2018, he was pressured on 227 dropbacks, with 35 sacks. The dropoff in production/efficiency in one year isn't just because the OL struggled in 2019.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Compared to JB, who shines in the clutch... /s

I'm not sure Rivers is a significant step forward, like some think, but it's not a step backward. 

I also think it provides a better environment for grooming a new QB, which I hope is still the plan starting in 2020.

But I thought the Colts org was calling JB a top 20 QB in the league (or something like that, Per coach Riecht). I just think that the money given to RIvers could have been used to sign 2-4 other players or just a luxury at the CB position (25+ Mill/year)

9 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

How many Chargers games have you even glimpsed at last year? The guy was 5-11 LAST YEAR. And he's an upgrade? I "Got it" now. lol

Only watched them 3-4 times last year, but I follow the highlights and stats closely, and well aware of what's going on in general. Watched them more the year before, and Rivers was very good in 2018. He also played behind one of the worst OLs in the league last year.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Favre with Minnesota is a reasonable comparison. He was 40 that first year, and was reunited with an old QB coach/coordinator in Darrell Bevell. Bounced back from an ugly season with the Jets. 

If we sign him, I'm on board. Just skeptical.

Also wonder what what we do with JB. Maybe the Pats want him back for a conditional pick or something...

This is JMO...but after the Buckner trade...I don't see how they have the luxury of carrying two $20M+ cap hits. That would be a waste (not to mention take away a roster spot that should be reserved for a developing QB).

So I think Ballard has to find a partner...and one that will take his roster bonus. In the past, Ballard has said he would only trade JB if the situation was right for him...the definition of "right" might need to be expanded somewhat. And to get a team to take on the money...Ballard probably gets nothing back and might even have to get creative (like a pick swap).

But I do think JB is movable. After this QB carousel winds down...there will be a team or two that misses out...or has opened up a spot.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Meh. Lets see if he has anything left; he has an excellent offensive line and solid running game.  He threw some INTS and was bad when teams knew all they had to do is rush and his line was bottom few in the league.

Assuming health:

1.  He will be better than he was last year with the TD/INT ratio.

2.  He will be way, way better than Brissett.

GUARANTEED.

This is basically a no risk move.  We suck at QB right now, so no risk there.  The only risk is if the would have been 13th pick at QB turns out to be a stud.  Unlikely.  Or Brady or Dalton is way better than Rivers.  Unlikely.

These are really big assumptions that I don't think are as rock solid as you make them seem.

I think he's a better passer than JB, but what if his increased production/yardage also comes with another 15 turnovers?

Also, I don't necessarily see the Rivers acquisition as the reason they chose not to stay at #13. I guess having a good QB market this offseason might have influenced their decision there, but they could have signed Rivers and drafted a QB at #13. It's not like one made the other impossible.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Only watched them 3-4 times last year, but I follow the highlights and stats closely, and well aware of what's going on in general. Watched them more the year before, and Rivers was very good in 2018. He also played behind one of the worst OLs in the league last year.

If the Colts sign Rivers, What do you expect his record will be?

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

But I thought the Colts org was calling JB a top 20 QB in the league (or something like that, Per coach Riecht). I just think that the money given to RIvers could have been used to sign 2-4 other players or just a luxury at the CB position (25+ Mill/year)

How much are they giving him? You're already upset that it's too much for the most important position in sports?

We're kind of premature on some of this, right?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ehh...

He was pressured on 223 dropbacks in 2019, with 34 sacks. In 2018, he was pressured on 227 dropbacks, with 35 sacks. The dropoff in production/efficiency in one year isn't just because the OL struggled in 2019.

They had 50 or 60 more receptions from rbs last year over 2018.  That is a major factor in pressure stats.  They were an awful rushing team in 2019 and a pretty good when in 2018.  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

How much are they giving him? You're already upset that it's too much for the most important position in sports?

We're kind of premature on some of this, right?

Even Dan Dachich just said 1070thefan that he would "rather have TB12," "Phiilip Rivers throws Interceptions" Please tune in 1070thefan

14 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Yea cause you can compare teams W/L record as a deciding factor on who is better without looking at roster. Do you even watch football?  wth

5-11 with an offense that had Allen, Williams, Henry, eckler, and Gordon. But his oline sucked, all will say. Rivers didn’t help out the oline because he’s a sitting duck at this stage. He has zero pocket mobility. I’d love to see his stats vs the blitz last year. Bet it was terrible 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

These are really big assumptions that I don't think are as rock solid as you make them seem.

I think he's a better passer than JB, but what if his increased production/yardage also comes with another 15 turnovers?

Also, I don't necessarily see the Rivers acquisition as the reason they chose not to stay at #13. I guess having a good QB market this offseason might hgave influenced their decision there, but they could have signed Rivers and drafted a QB at #13. It's not like one made the other impossible.

I guarantee it Supe.  JB is one of the very worst starters in the NFL.  He was never any good with the exception of the first Houston game, but that gameplan was marvelous.  

You'll see and be very happy with the way this offense goes from a very lethargic one to a very lively one on the first snap of the season.  It will be obvious how bad JB was on opening day.

The only reason JB didn't have high INT is the great time to throw he was afforded coupled with the putridly low yards per attempt he had.

Hear me now believe me later Supe.

DD just said he would rather have Brissett than Rivers! He's always good enough to get you fired (Rivers). 

"Everytime he throws an INT he starts B*ing and wining on the side lines. It cannot be everybody elses fault all the time" - Dan Dachich

another caller said if we signing a QB lets just get Brady. If Chargers dont want him, Why would Colts want him.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ehh...

His production didn't drop (his yards actually increased). His INTs went up. 

Rivers has a top 5 (lowest) time to throw, so if he's pressured/hit/sacked that much with one of the quickest time to throws, you know his OL really sucked. Simple as that....

Why did he look worse in 2019 vs 2018? His running game went from top half in 2018, to bottom 5 in 2019. Zero balance and teams really didn't respect their run even when Gordon came back. If you have time, look at their last 3 games (MN, OAK, KC). Rivers averaged about 290 ypg. Gordon, who led them in rushing each of those 3 games, averaged 29ypg... 

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

DD just said he would rather have Brissett than Rivers! He's always good enough to get you fired (Rivers). 

"Everytime he throws an INT he starts B*ing and wining on the side lines. It cannot be everybody elses fault all the time" - Dan Dachich

another caller said if we signing a QB lets just get Brady.

Anyone who says we'd be better of with Brissett than Rivers loses all credibility as a commenter on football.

RIVERS HAD 2 GREAT RBS, WRs weapons and a solid D last year. All hes ever done his entire career is throw INTs in the 4th Quarter. Its a complete waste of money. just sign Winston, Bridgewater, or Olineman or WRs or Defensive players.

Another caller just said, just sign Winston, a younger version of Rivers.

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One thing with Rivers is, he is a warrior. He makes mistakes, and then comes back to make plays. When given protection, he can stretch the field. It is a little bit like Elway taking a chance on Peyton though for different reasons but if we can get the right free agents to go with it, we can make a run.

Our division is ripe for the picking with Hopkins out of Houston, and the Titans still being a high floor, limited ceiling team, IMO. Jaguars, we just have to find a way to not split with them, even in the best of years. It is a chance we are taking, and I hope Rivers' last year was more an outlier than the norm.

His o-line was trash there for he felt like he had to play hero ball to win I think with a good o-line which we have and a couple more weapons he can come back from his disaster season from a year ago.

31 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

Simply untrue that Rivers is the best current FA QB.

I think it would be an organizational step backards to sign Rivers.  Dude has no clutch.  He is a master of throwing turnovers at the worst possible times.  Good QB, but plays down in big moments.  No interested.

I'll have to get used to Brady being available. Sifting through old QB's isn't the greatest thing in the world anyway, but the upshot with Rivers was always that he knows the system. Brady is over the long haul better, but as it stands tomorrow? I'll bet it's close to a wash.

Archived