Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zeke to the Colts rumors starting...

ColtStrong2013

24 minutes ago, USFfan said:

New poster here. So I became a Colts fan recently because of Mack (alma mater). I watched every game last year and even went to the Jags game in Jax (ugh).

I have been a lurker here and it seems like he is very underappreciated on this board. Is this mentality for the colts fan base overall?

Btw it seems like a lot of you guys are forgetting when Mack and Elliott went head to head...

Being a new fan, remember some of the caliber of RB the Colts have had:  Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James.  A trade for Trent Richardson was a disaster, but he was an early draft pick by Browns and projected to be a top flight RB.  Nothing against Mack as he’ll be the starter, but fans get excited at the mere mention of Zeke (and Laveon Bell) as we’ve seen top backs on the roster almost routinely.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Colts won't trade for Zeke because they believe Mack is capable of putting up 1500 yards.

I agree. And Irsay hasn't dropped that # to the media out of thin air. IMO, he's been told that is the mindset and goal of the organization, and Frank's comments of the desire to be a top 5 rushing offense backs it...

Also, he is a Ballard draft pick, so I'm certain there is a desire on his part for Mack to be the guy long term as that only bolsters his drafting and roster building. 

I just wish we could find a strong #2, as Mack's health has been iffy. And when he goes down, we are thin pickens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. My approach to building a team is to draft well, develop players and retain them. I don't like to sign or trade for other teams' star players, especially running backs. JMO :)

What would you like to give up for Zeke? If you're willing to give up a high draft pick, why not just draft a top RB? Many fans don't seem to want to use draft capital on RB in the draft. Why give up draft picks for a RB with wear and tear when you could have drafted someone out of college?

You are right.  Most of the posters here don't want anything to do with drafting a RB in the 1st.  Just like a large number wanted nothing to do with drafting a center or guard in the 1st. Rd. either.  And we know how that turned out.  But I digress.  I have been a fan of drafting a RB high for quite a few years now.  I was even hoping for Josh Jacobs last year but Oakland swept in and took care of that.  Even the Patriots drafted a RB in the 1st. Rd. recently.  So that approach would be my first choice.  There are a lot of good RB's coming out this year so hopefully Ballard pulls the trigger early and get one.  If Zeke became available, which I don't think he will, I would give up a high pick.  The big difference is he's a proven durable difference maker and still has played only three years in the league.  And I don't see the Colts running him into  the ground with Luck as the QB.  Our offense would be more balanced.  A rookie RB would still need to prove themselves so they are still an unknown.  Cheaper but still an unknown.  Any high pick we give up has a good chance of being at the back of the draft anyway if we have a good year.  Adding Zeke would increase that likelihood even more.  I'm pulling for Mack like everybody else here.  I'm just not sold he's a 100% feature back.  We shall see.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zeke Elliott (along with Saquan Barkley)  are my favorite running backs.     I'd love to have the guy.     But I don't see this happening --- ever.

1.    Dallas will want a boat load in picks.    They're not giving him away.

2.    Elliott is already said to have turned down $14m per year.    I don't know for how many years,   but one would think it's for at least 4 years.   

So,  I don't see Ballard wanting to pay a running back --- ANY running back --- that kind of money.   I think he accepts the concept of a devalued position.    I think Ballard would like to pay a good to very good,  but not great running back somewhere in the range of $5-7 Mill per year on maybe a 3 year deal.     Use him,  get what you can,  and move on to another back that you might spend a 3rd or a 4th on.    

I think all this Zeke Elliott talk is a pipedream.    This is not the world that Ballard lives in.   I think he wants a good to very good RB,  but not great,  and not elite.   I don't think he wants anyone who is going to want the kind of money that top backs want.    So, I don't think he's going to want to pay more than $7 mil per year.   Certainly not $10 mill and absolutely not the kind of money Zeke will want which is roughly $15+ mill a year.    I don't ever see that happening.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Probably Lynch. But both ATL and LAR had high-paid RBs. And CAR had Stewart...who had a pretty large deal.

So you are talking about more than half of the past 6 Super Bowl teams. They certainly don't prevent a team from getting there.

Freeman wasn't highly paid at the time and Stewart certainly isn't Zeke caliber. Paying a RB that much money isn't a good way to build the team. 

3 hours ago, USFfan said:

New poster here. So I became a Colts fan recently because of Mack (alma mater). I watched every game last year and even went to the Jags game in Jax (ugh).

I have been a lurker here and it seems like he is very underappreciated on this board. Is this mentality for the colts fan base overall?

Btw it seems like a lot of you guys are forgetting when Mack and Elliott went head to head...

It's split from what I've seen. I think Mack is pretty underrated. He would've had 1000 yards without the injuries. Many believe he is the product of the O-Line.

12 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Why would Zeke complete the puzzle? When was the last time a team with a high paid RB won the SB? He'd improve the team, no doubt, but it's not worth paying him all that money.

We seem to be pretty stout at pretty much all positions except RB.  Marlon is a good back but if he goes down we once again become dependent on the passing game which the coaching staff is trying to avoid.

I see the boys offered Zeke a big contract today so its probably a moot point anyway, but I stand by my opinion that we are wasting Andrews career by choosing to keep the purse closed.

7 hours ago, USFfan said:

Welcome aboard...

The kid seems to have found a home.

5 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Welcome aboard...

The kid seems to have found a home.

Thanks I am a Dolphin fan first and foremost but it is painful. It's nice to root for a team that is actually good.

Also, my mom is from Indianapolis, so there's that lol.

In regards to Mack, his 4.7 ypc is the same as Elliott last year. He also doesnt have the baggage and *ry of Elliott. Give the a guy chance boys!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

It was never realistic. Paying a RB that much money isn't how you build a successful team.

I couldn’t agree more.  The Pats have been to 9 SBs, winning 6, since Belichick took the helm.  Name me one Patriot RB from that period who will end up in Canton.

There are different ways to skin a cat, of course.  But IMO the best formula for success in today’s NFL is for a team to have a credible running game with at least one back who is also a receiving threat....and to spend more cap space on QBs, OL, and D.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Why would Zeke complete the puzzle? When was the last time a team with a high paid RB won the SB? He'd improve the team, no doubt, but it's not worth paying him all that money.

By the same logic, when's the last time a high paid QB won the SB? Does that mean we shouldn't pay our QBs?

1 hour ago, USFfan said:

Thanks I am a Dolphin fan first and foremost but it is painful. It's nice to root for a team that is actually good.

Also, my mom is from Indianapolis, so there's that lol.

In regards to Mack, his 4.7 ypc is the same as Elliott last year. He also doesnt have the baggage and *ry of Elliott. Give the a guy chance boys!

This is the reason I'm not eager to make a Zeke trade. I think Mack is something special. I don't think we have a need at RB

• Like 1

Just now, Irish YJ said:

so can this guy

tumblr_mpci3qsSpm1qd438eo1_500.gif

Lol. The saints and chiefs games are losses as can't  see Brissett  or kelly keeping  up with brees and mahomes. Chargers game  might be winnable if rivers chokes. Titans game is winnable even with Brissett. 

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Lol. The saints and chiefs games are losses as can't  see Brissett  or kelly keeping  up with brees and mahomes. Chargers game  might be winnable if rivers chokes. Titans game is winnable even with Brissett. 

I really don't want to rely on teams choking. If we can't beat TN.....

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If we lose to titans we might as well forget it.

If we lose to the titans then we probably  are 0 and 2 as if we can't  beat the titans there is no way we should beat the chargers. That being said if we upset  the chargers and beat the titans we will be sitting  at 2-0 and in a prime position  to compete. The chiefs game is probably  a loss unless  our defense  plays like the 2000 ravens.