Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zeke to the Colts rumors starting...

ColtStrong2013

So a few questions:

1) What would people be happy to give up?

2) What do people think the Cowboys would actually take?

3) Imagine that by trading for him  you'd have to extend him off the bat, else you're just in the same situation as the Cowboys, so what contract are you happy to give him?

I vaguely remember hearing about a cut off date for extending traded players, but I might be well off there. @Superman?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

So a few questions:

3) Imagine that by trading for him  you'd have to extend him off the bat, else you're just in the same situation as the Cowboys, so what contract are you happy to give him?

I vaguely remember hearing about a cut off date for extending traded players, but I might be well off there. @Superman?

I'm not huge on the idea honestly. We would have been better off kicking the wheels in FA on Bell if we were going to entertain this. I just don't see it in Ballard. We need help at runningback, but I don't think Ballard will be reactive and give up draft capital to sign a mega contract to a runningback. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm not huge on the idea honestly. We would have been better off kicking the wheels in FA on Bell if we were going to entertain this. I just don't see it in Ballard. We need help at runningback, but I don't think Ballard will be reactive and give up draft capital to sign a mega contract to a runningback. 

The one thing about this though is we added depth last draft. We are not going to need all those draft picks next year. This isn’t going to happen but where we are as a team I could see Ballard giving up draft picks if there was a hole in the team.

Hilarious and never crossed my mind at any point. I personally see Zeke back with the Cowboys and playing this season. Something will get done for him I think. Marlon Mack is a decent back but not a super powerful and elusive back like Zeke. Would be nice to have on the team.

2 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

That's not happening. The culture around the colts is and always has been team-first and frankly, zeke is the complete opposite of that. 

Why?  Because hes holding out for more money before the Cowboys run him into the ground?  No one is ever team first.  They all are looking out for them selves, otherwise we woulnt lose anyone to FA ever and Luck wouldnt have signed the largest contract in NFL history when he did.

• Like 8

Oh yeah?

Well I heard (am starting) a rumor that if Luck isn't ready for week 1, then we are going to trade him to the Cowboys for Zeke.

And Peyton is going to make a surprise comeback with the Colts against the Chargers.

And... and... and Bill Belichick sleeps with a binky and sucks his thumb in his sleep!

Break-The-Thumbsucking-Habit.jpg?v=1-201

35 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

So a few questions:

1.) I would give Dallas whichever 2nd round pick next year that turns out to be higher for Zeke.

2.) I believe the Cowboys would want a 2nd and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th for him.

3.) I would immediately extend him to a 5 year, 65 million dollar deal. Ballard said he would eventually bring a non-character guy in the locker room. Given our weakness at RB and if Luck plays week 1, I would pull the trigger now.

Nope, don't want him, even if it was for a 7th round pick. I think his demeanor and attitude is counter productive to this Colt's culture thing. Currently, I think with such a young team, we're not set up to handle a true prima donna like he is, same case with Antonio Brown when those rumors were lighting up. 

Attitude aside, RBs have a short life span. Id pass mainly due to that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) I would give Dallas whichever 2nd round pick next year that turns out to be higher for Zeke.

2.) I believe the Cowboys would want a 2nd and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th for him.

3.) I would immediately extend him to a 5 year, 65 million dollar deal. Ballard said he would eventually bring a non-character guy in the locker room. Given our weakness at RB and if Luck plays week 1, I would pull the trigger now.

Ah, but how much guaranteed?

30 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Why?  Because hes holding out for more money before the Cowboys run him into the ground?  No one is ever team first.  They all are looking out for them selves, otherwise we woulnt lose anyone to FA ever and Luck wouldnt have signed the largest contract in NFL history when he did.

Lost in all of this is that he has two years left on his contract.  It’s hard to argue his “me first” mentality.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd give $35 million guaranteed so it's just over half of the contract.

Reports are out there he's already turned down an offer that would put him behind only Gurley in terms of average per year and a similar % guaranteed so I think you're a bit off here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Reports are out there he's already turned down an offer that would put him behind only Gurley in terms of average per year and a similar % guaranteed so I think you're a bit off here. 

I believe you, but that would be my personal offer. RB's have a short shelf life and are expendable. What can I say? :) I can also see Melvin Gordon having a Bell type holdout unless they trade him.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe you, but that would be my personal offer. RB's have a short shelf life and are expendable. What can I say? :) I can also see Melvin Gordon having a Bell type holdout unless they trade him.

Melvin Gordon needs someone close to him to give a reality check, and fast :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

EE wants to be number one... 

Here's Gurley's #s. 

Age  /Total Value  /Avg.Year    /     Total Guaranteed /   Fully Guaranteed / FreeAgency

25  / $57,500,000  /  $14,375,000  /    $45,000,000        /       $21,950,000       /  2024 UFA

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I read that quickly ,so maybe I'm missing something but how is that a "rumor ?" Isn't it one guy that writes articles saying it would make sense ?  I don't see anything that states the Colts and Cowboys are talking about a trade. 

• Like 5

Just now, dw49 said:

I read that quickly ,so maybe I'm missing something but how is that a "rumor ?" Isn't it one guy that writes articles saying it would make sense ?  I don't see anything that states the Colts and Cowboys are talking about a trade. 

no actual rumor. just yet another guy putting a FA or hold out together with the Colt's cap space.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Maybe you're thinking of tagged players? The deadline for negotiating a new contract for a player on the franchise tag is July 15. Other than that, I'm not sure what deadline you might be thinking of.

And of course, Zeke isn't tagged.

To the OP, this isn't a rumor. This is a half-baked idea coming from a corner of the Internet. It's not worthy of discussion, and everything we know about the Colts and Chris Ballard should tell us that there's next to zero chance of it happening.

And that's a legitimate stance to take. Paying any RB $14m/year with $40-50m guaranteed -- which is what Elliott reportedly wants -- is outrageous. Trading significant draft capital for the privilege of giving that player said outrageous contract would be a huge mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

cough, cough. So all those posters hammering me about Zeke and L Bell. THE FLOOR IS YOURS. I went back and forth with an electrician, and IT Professional. please don't run now.

Enough of the small things. Zeke coming to Indy would be a Mega Splash. hopefully, if we are fortunate enough to make it to the big game, we would RUN the ball instead of throwing it. We know how Luck could be at times, grabbing the side of his helmet and all.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe you're thinking of tagged players? The deadline for negotiating a new contract for a player on the franchise tag is July 15. Other than that, I'm not sure what deadline you might be thinking of.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

Thanks, I think I was confusing myself with number of years served on a Rookie deal before you can extend. Ignore me. 

4 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

cough, cough. So all those posters hammering me about Zeke and L Bell. THE FLOOR IS YOURS. I went back and forth with an electrician, and IT Professional. please don't run now.

Enough of the small things. Zeke coming to Indy would be a Mega Splash. hopefully, if we are fortunate enough to make it to the big game, we would RUN the ball instead of throwing it. We know how Luck could be at times, grabbing the side of his helmet and all.

One rumour post does not a summer make.

7 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Thanks, I think I was confusing myself with number of years served on a Rookie deal before you can extend. Ignore me. 

One rumour post does not a summer make.

1 Question for INDY fans, if Andrew Luck were on the  Cowboys and demanded to be paid top dollars, and we had Cowboys QB Dak. 

And to simplify things, lets say Luck wanted to come to Indy.

1)Would you pick up AL knowing he wants top $dollars? say ($50+$70 million Guaranteed).

2) Do you object AL current contract?

For those not paying attention, Name the RB who lead the league in rushing 2 of 3 previous years? (Answer: Zeke Elliot).

Zeke is a good RB but is a product of his offensive line, much like 

Emmit Smith a couple decades ago for the Cowboys.

Running backs can't run through 600 lbs of linemen coming through

the lines to meet them, physically impossible. They need open holes.

Just now, dodsworth said:

Zeke is a good RB but is a product of his offensive line, much like 

Emmit Smith a couple decades ago for the Cowboys.

Running backs can't run through 600 lbs of linemen coming through

the lines to meet them, physically impossible. They need open holes.

Have you ever seen Zeke at Ohio state? He was doing the same thing there as well fyi.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He wouldn't have to demand it because he's a QB.  The Cowboys would pay it without hesitation.

Zeke is a RB.  Apples to oranges, friend.

Ok, lets make things even more interesting. Were you one of the "Fans" who objected against picking up Khalil Mack when he was let go by the Raiders. You would have known that MACK demanded top $ as well.?

I said pay MACK regardless of what he wanted btw. the only thing he did was, during his first game (limited practice time. But we are talking about PRACTICE) create a few sacks, force fumble and TD.